HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be the Backup next season?

View Poll Results: Who will be the Backup next season?
Peter Budaj 2 2.99%
Dan Ellis 3 4.48%
Martin Biron 27 40.30%
Curtis Sanford 6 8.96%
Cedrick Dejardins 21 31.34%
Other/via trade 8 11.94%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
I'd keep both. But if one was gone, I'd save money and promote Desjardins. Then I'd look really stupid if Price/Halak got hurt. Then I'd miss the playoffs. Then I'd get fired. And the Habs would be better off than they were when they had a GM who would trade one of Halak/Price.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

Biron. And im from Ontario.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:19 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 0
If one is gone after this year and we need a back-up, I'd like to see Dan Ellis backing up.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:49 PM
NLHabsFan

I know this is all hypothetical but I think that it is very likely Halak & Price are with the Habs next season. There is probably only 3 teams right now looking for a #1 goalie for next season: San Jose, St. Louis, and Tampa Bay. All 3 of them with good young goalies in their systems. And with Vokoun supposedly available and #1 goalies available in FA such as Evgeni Nabokov, Marty Turco, Jose Theodore, Chris Mason, and Dan Ellis. Also goalies that could be 1B guys are Vesa Toskala, Ray Emery, and Antero Niittymaki; I don't think there is much of a market at all for our goalies especially what the Habs will be asking for them.

And for Martin Biron, I think if Buffalo want Enroth to get another season in the AHL then he will end up with the Sabres again.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:21 PM
goman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Niemi is a young upcomming goalie.
He is 25 and so is Halak. But Halak has proven much more than Niemi.
He has?

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:25 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
He has?
Conference finals >>> Stanley Cup finals

Obviously

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:45 PM
TheBuriedHab

If one of the two do get traded, You have to find a goalie that will support the starter, not try to win the job from him. Get a guy like Biron who is a good locker room guy imo.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 05:51 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Conference finals >>> Stanley Cup finals

Obviously
Halak might not have made it as far, but Niemi has a much better team in front of him and has had to do much less.

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Anyone thinks we are going to trade one of our young goalie before they reach their real value.
Another season like this and Halak is a top-5 in the league.
Or he falters, get a bad sequence and suddenly he is a nobody. This happen all the time, especially with goalies.

Remember Theodore? Well, Halak tenure in the playoff was similar to Theo tenure in his dream season when he won both the Vezina and the Hart and cashed in on his success. The rest his history...

In practice, Halak value is probably at his highest right now. If I'm Gauthier and another GM call me all excited about trading for Halak, I think about it long and hard... there's an opportunity to cash in big time here.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 09:17 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Carey Price?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcGee View Post
Halak might not have made it as far, but Niemi has a much better team in front of him and has had to do much less.
Fun fact: Halak has still faced (and pretty much stopped) about 100 more pucks than Niemi in only 20 more minutes of ice time so far these playoffs. We're not considering international play are we?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Dan Ellis would be my choice, I'm a fan of the guy, but he's more of a #1 than a backup.
No he's not.He never achieved to be a starter, in Nashville Rinne stole his job, Dallas trade him because they didn't beleive in him. So yes he would ba a great backup, but nothing more.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:22 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
If one of the two do get traded, You have to find a goalie that will support the starter, not try to win the job from him. Get a guy like Biron who is a good locker room guy imo.
You are living in Fantasyland.

A good backup has to win a fair share of games or the team will not make the playoffs, that's how much parity is in the league.

But if the backup is winning his share of games, and the starter is NOT, what do you think will happen?????

Suppose we went out and got Biron. And suppose Biron started out playing only every 4th game and maybe half a back-to-backer here and there. His first 10 games, he goes 6-3-1. Now suppose Halak has gone 12-16-2 and the Habs are in danger of being eliminated from the playoff race. What kind of guy would you want Biron to be: the kind who continues winning as the coach gives him more starts, or the kind to lay back and content himself with losing as often as Halak, while verbally "supporting him"??

The truth is that whether it's Carey Price or Martin Biron backing up Halak, we WANT the backup to be as good as possible, and we have to EXPECT the starter to continue EARNING his status, month after month. Because guess what - backups have taken over from established starters before: Hiller from Giguere, Varlamov from Theodore, Niemi from Huet, Huet from Theodore, Miller from Biron, Rask from Thomas, and I could go on and on.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 07:13 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I say Budaj.

Biron is just screaming for more goalie controversy, regardless of actual play. Budaj is on the same level as well.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote