HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Cap To Go Up By $2 Million

Old
05-29-2010, 07:24 AM
bubba5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
And before I hear how Kovalchuk is an impossibility cap-wise still:

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
* ILYA KOVALCHUK ($9.000m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m)
Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m)
Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Aaron Voros ($1.000m) / * MZA ($0.900m)
Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / * Erik Christensen ($0.750m) / * Jody Shelley ($0.725m)
Brian Boyle ($0.525m) / * Brandon Prust ($0.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / * Marc Staal ($3.250m)
* Daniel Girardi ($2.500m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.750m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / * Ryan McDonagh ($0.850m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / * BACKUP GOALTENDER ($1.000m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $58.572m; CAP ROOM: $0.441m BONUSES: $0.212m

Includes Brashear's cap hit, but I don't consider him to be on the roster. Brashear + Pick for lower Pick gives you an additional $1.4 million for a total of ~$1.8 million.

$1m allotted for a backup goalie.

Gave McDonagh a cap hit of $850k, he may also have bonuses.

Could save another ~$1m by switching Gilroy for Sanguinetti.

Very doable... could even give Kovalchuk another $500k without too much issue.

EDIT: 6 defensemen because I just think that's just the way Torts runs it. Additional d-man could be added by making one of the above moves.
We better score a minimum of 4-5 goals a game with those defenseman. And if we give Kovy a 15 year contract to bring the cap hit down I wonder how many weeks we will have to wait before we realize we are in salary cap hell for 2 decades. Did anyone note learn from watching the Islander with Yashin and Depetro!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 07:35 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
We better score a minimum of 4-5 goals a game with those defenseman. And if we give Kovy a 15 year contract to bring the cap hit down I wonder how many weeks we will have to wait before we realize we are in salary cap hell for 2 decades. Did anyone note learn from watching the Islander with Yashin and Depetro!
The only change in defense would be Redden -> McDonagh.

Keeping the puck out of our net won't be a problem so long as we have Lundqvist.

I expect that we'll still be top 10-15 in the league in goals against average with McDonagh instead of Redden.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 08:03 AM
beastly115

Quote:
The only change in defense would be Redden -> McDonagh.

Keeping the puck out of our net won't be a problem so long as we have Lundqvist.

I expect that we'll still be top 10-15 in the league in goals against average with McDonagh instead of Redden.
Exchanging Redden for McD would be a lateral move, at worst.

But really, how likely is it for Redden to be buried in Hartford? I still don't think Sather has the balls to go through with it. Anyone know what our cap would look like with Redden still on the team?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:47 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The problem is getting there without exceeding the summer overage. That's the impossible part.

Personally, there's nothing I want to see less than (a.) yet another crippling contract and (b.) yet another superstar solution while essentially fielding a clone of last years' uncompetitive mess.
Acually, that gets a lot more possible.

With the cap at just about $59MM, you can go $5.9MM over the limit during the offseason. Given the roster azrok presented, you've got that $5.9MM plus $450K in extra space = $6.35K. You only need to clear another $1.150K to carry Redden and Rissmiller on the offseason cap and then dump them in the minors. And there are any number of ways to do this:

-Kovy gets less in his UFA contract (especially if you give him the sort of cap-friendly long-term deal Inferno proposes)
-Staal and/or Girardi gets less in his RFA contract
-Voros gets traded
-Brashear gets traded (with a sweetener)
-Your backup goalie gets less than $1MM
-You go with the bare minimum roster and then promote/sign/trade for your extra forward once the season starts.

Now, it's unlikely that any one move would be enough, but a reasonable combination of the above and it's really not that hard. And all of those options doen't even take into account other possible moves (e.g. trade Gilroy for a 2nd rounder at the draft) that could make it complete non-issue.

Honestly an extra $2MM takes what was a doable - but very, very tight - proposition and makes it relatively simple. Both because of the extra room it affords under the cap, and also because of the extra $200K of temporary space it provides during the offseason.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
You realize the only change in that D core is Redden for McDonagh. You think the difference between those two players is going to result in a difference of a whole goal against per game added against the rangers, from a team this year that had one of the lower goals against/game in the league?

we might add 10-15 goals against all year.

edit; oh someone already beat me to it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

You guys do realize that 29 other teams also benefit from the spike?

Kovalchuk should go to LA. Less pressure and a team closer to becoming elite and Cup contending.

The Rangers are going to need as much money as possible to keep our young guys signed as they progress upwards.

Let our guys develop and then reward them with the money they deserve. Getting "rid" of the Gomez, Druy, Roszival and Redden contracts was the focus after two seasons ago, and it should remain the priority.

No to Volchenkov.
No to Frolov
No to Marleau

The only reason why I wouldnt mind signing Kovy is because guys like him (wingers with 40-plus goal consistency) are rarely available for nothing but money. No draft picks or assets are needed to plug in a guy who is guaranteed to score 40 and 80. And he and Gabby are both in their prime.

But that only happens if Redden is demoted and there are no plans to bring back Rosie and Drury.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:27 AM
azrok22

Kovalchuk is about as equivalent to Gaborik as it comes.

If I told you we could add another another Gaborik to this team, without any injury concerns and without giving up any assets, for $2m more than Gaborik makes (likely less than that), is there honestly anyone who wouldn't at least make an attempt to bring that player in?

Gaboriks (if healthy and playing) and Kovalchuks are not crippling contracts, even at the high salary they demand. They create their own offense and make players around them better.

Paying a lot for a guy like Drury who cannot create anything on his own is where you find a crippling contract.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Vitto79

This is an interesting debate

Part of me says no big contracts but the thing is lets say they can get Marleau to play C. That fills a big hole. I really think he stays on the West coast though

Kovalchuk gives another legit thrreat

It could end up being a blessing in disguise because they then have to play younger cheaper players on

I pray that Drury would waive to Colorado. They are a good young team that coud benefit from a veteran leader. Lets say by some miracle he would waive and its somehing like Drury, Gilroy for Liles and a 2nd

I know everyone is on the Rozy bandwaggon but after the UFAs clear they could move him for a younger Dman that makes half his contract. Liles had a bad year but DZ and Liles would make a pretty solid PP unit........I know this may e a pipe dream but Sather is a trade genious so it makes me think it could go down

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:02 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Please God no Marleau...

05-29-2010, 11:08 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Kovalchuk is about as equivalent to Gaborik as it comes.

If I told you we could add another another Gaborik to this team, without any injury concerns and without giving up any assets, for $2m more than Gaborik makes (likely less than that), is there honestly anyone who wouldn't at least make an attempt to bring that player in?

Gaboriks (if healthy and playing) and Kovalchuks are not crippling contracts, even at the high salary they demand. They create their own offense and make players around them better.
Paying a lot for a guy like Drury who cannot create anything on his own is where you find a crippling contract.

Exactly. Crosby and Malkin. Ovechkin and Backstrom. Those are good contracts.

Plus, here's another take on Kovalchuk: putting him on a line with rookies or youngsters makes their transition into the NHL easier.

Kovalchuk is low maintenance. He doesnt need a playmaker. He doesnt need protection. He doesnt need home run passes. This guy creates his own chances, even moreso than Gaborik.

More attention to Kovalchuk means less focus on his linemates. It's a great scenario to be in if you are a developing youngster like Grachev or Stepan or Anisimov etc.

Lastly, Drury and Rosie come off the books in two years. Kovy's cap hit wont hurt as much as we think, at least long term.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think Marleau goes to Los Angeles. Calling it right now.

with the cap now around 59 mil, many new and exciting possibilities open up. Unfortunately, it also becomes much more reasonable to re-sign Staal and Girardi while keeping Redden on the pro squad.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:14 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I would love to get Kovalchuk as much as the next guy. I have been pushing to get him for quite a while now, but one thing that does concern me a little is how he kind of didn't show up in the playoffs. I mean he had a good playoff season, but he really wasn't "dominating" by any stretch of the imagination. I do believe he can perform under pressure, and I am not really worried about it, but it was one little concern I had.

PLEASE SATHER GET IT DONE!!!

I wish we could find a way to get Zherdev on this team, could you imagine a second line that looked like this:

Kovalchuk - Anisimov - Zherdev

that would be great.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:17 AM
pwoz

A cap increase means nothing... for every $1m (if cap stayed the same), it's not $1.2m or whatever.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
This is an interesting debate

Part of me says no big contracts but the thing is lets say they can get Marleau to play C. That fills a big hole. I really think he stays on the West coast though

Kovalchuk gives another legit thrreat

It could end up being a blessing in disguise because they then have to play younger cheaper players on

I pray that Drury would waive to Colorado. They are a good young team that coud benefit from a veteran leader. Lets say by some miracle he would waive and its somehing like Drury, Gilroy for Liles and a 2nd

I know everyone is on the Rozy bandwaggon but after the UFAs clear they could move him for a younger Dman that makes half his contract. Liles had a bad year but DZ and Liles would make a pretty solid PP unit........I know this may e a pipe dream but Sather is a trade genious so it makes me think it could go down
Marleau can't play C. The point is, he wouldn't match up against anyone basically. It would maybe be a draw between our 1st line C and the Islanders 1st line C -- and the rest of the east would have a edge on us.

You can have a rightwing who skates up and down the ice and does some good things every now and then -- but centers needs to battle with the center on the other team. Richards vs Marleau. Lecavalier vs Marleau. Crosby/Malkin vs Marleau. Bäckström vs Marleau.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Ola

Listen, this fact also needs to be taken into consideration.

If the cap went up 2m this year, during/right after the worst financial crash in a centuary; where will the cap be in 5 or 10 years?

If we could get Kovalchuk for like 8-9m per and 7-8 years, Id be all for it. These contracts will be "steals" down the line.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:21 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

If the cap went up 2m this year, during/right after the worst financial crash in a centuary; where will the cap be in 5 or 10 years?

If we could get Kovalchuk for like 8-9m per and 7-8 years, Id be all for it. These contracts will be "steals" down the line.

Yes. Just like Backstrom. Salaries for stars will always go up...By the time Kovalchuk is 30 and scoring 45-50 goals, his 8 or 9 million dollary salary could very well not even crack the top-15

Old
05-29-2010, 12:29 PM
jeanverville

THIS IS IT !!!

2010-11 NEW YORK RANGERS

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING

Brandon Dubinsky($1.9m) * Sharp ($4.2m) Marian Gaborik ($7.5m)
Sean Avery ($1.9m) Artem Anisimov ($0.8m) Evgeny Grachev ($0.9m)
Dale Weise ($0.7m) Chris Drury ($7.0m) Ryan Callahan ($2.3m)
* Jody Shelley ($0.9m) * Christenson/Stepan ($1.2m) * Brandon Prust ($0.8m)
hwp Donald Brashear ($1.4m)cap hit * ZuccareloAasen ($0.9m)

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE

* Marc Staal ($3.6m) * Volchenkov ($5.1m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.1m) * Daniel Girardi($2.8m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.8m) * Bouillon/McDonagh ($1.2m)

GOALTENDERS

Henrik Lundqvist ($6.9m)
* Hedberg ($1.3m)

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.206m; CAP ROOM: $1.149m BONUSES: $0.555m

Last edited by jeanverville: 05-30-2010 at 12:47 AM.
jeanverville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Been saying this for awhile now, yeah. With an economic recovery there is no reason why the cap might not be 85 million by 2017, or something ridiculous like that.

Old
05-29-2010, 12:40 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

This $2 million has me a bit scared though, with Sather.

I will agree though, that if Kovalchuk is signed (and anything more than 7.5-8 million is too much I think) that in just two years, the contracts of Drury and Rozsival will come off the cap, thus giving us some major breathing room. Thats $12 million off the cap in two years. Now I do realize that money might just go elsewhere but the biggest thing is that it would be spread amongst 3-4 players instead of just 2.

In essence, if Redden is sent to the AHL, then these anchor contracts we have dragging us down only have two years on them.

Oh the anticipation.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:41 PM
jeanverville

PERFECT LINEUP - GO YOUNGhttp://hfboards.com/images/smilies/applaud.gif

MY FIRST POST - BIGGEST NYR FAN - CORNWALL ONTARIO -
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanverville View Post
THIS IS IT !!!

2010-11 Salary Cap Calculator

2010-11 NEW YORK RANGERS

* Jody Shelley ($0.9m) * Stepan ($1.2m) * Brandon Prust ($0.8m)

Matt Gilroy ($1.8m) * McDonagh ($1.2m)

GOALTENDERS

Henrik Lundqvist ($6.9m)
* Hedberg ($1.3m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (compiled using the bonus cushion)

jeanverville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:47 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Exactly. Crosby and Malkin. Ovechkin and Backstrom. Those are good contracts.

Plus, here's another take on Kovalchuk: putting him on a line with rookies or youngsters makes their transition into the NHL easier.

Kovalchuk is low maintenance. He doesnt need a playmaker. He doesnt need protection. He doesnt need home run passes. This guy creates his own chances, even moreso than Gaborik.

More attention to Kovalchuk means less focus on his linemates. It's a great scenario to be in if you are a developing youngster like Grachev or Stepan or Anisimov etc.

Lastly, Drury and Rosie come off the books in two years. Kovy's cap hit wont hurt as much as we think, at least long term.

I was just gonna say this.

Our young guys playing with supreme talent like Gaborik and Kovalchuk will only benefit their game. Itll make them want to improve that much more, on top of that.

Old
05-29-2010, 12:52 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
You guys do realize that 29 other teams also benefit from the spike?

Kovalchuk should go to LA. Less pressure and a team closer to becoming elite and Cup contending.

The Rangers are going to need as much money as possible to keep our young guys signed as they progress upwards.

Let our guys develop and then reward them with the money they deserve. Getting "rid" of the Gomez, Druy, Roszival and Redden contracts was the focus after two seasons ago, and it should remain the priority.

No to Volchenkov.
No to Frolov
No to Marleau

The only reason why I wouldnt mind signing Kovy is because guys like him (wingers with 40-plus goal consistency) are rarely available for nothing but money. No draft picks or assets are needed to plug in a guy who is guaranteed to score 40 and 80. And he and Gabby are both in their prime.

But that only happens if Redden is demoted and there are no plans to bring back Rosie and Drury.
I agree with most about LA, but I also think that Kovalchuk would be a focal point of this team along with Gaborik, and theyre much younger. Plus we have Lundqvist, which is a huuuuge edge.

We may have missed the playoffs by a shootout loss but LA only won two more games than we did (playoffs). Kovalchuk should realize hed be an integral piece, one of the bigger pieces to our puzzle than LA, and we arent that far off ourselves from becoming a really good team. We have some young studs coming up with already maturing talent.

Old
05-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanverville View Post
THIS IS IT !!!

2010-11 Salary Cap Calculator

2010-11 NEW YORK RANGERS

* Jody Shelley ($0.9m) * Stepan ($1.2m) * Brandon Prust ($0.8m)

Matt Gilroy ($1.8m) * McDonagh ($1.2m)

GOALTENDERS

Henrik Lundqvist ($6.9m)
* Hedberg ($1.3m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (compiled using the bonus cushion)

Thats bad, hate to break it to you.

Theres 0 chance Stepan is on the team next year. Giving Volchenkov 5.1 a year would be a bad move for a 1 dimensional defenceman. The D is exceptionally weak even without Redden and the inclusion of Volchenkov. Grachev is not ready for the NHL just yet. Let him stay in the minors getting big minutes.

I do like that you included Weise, as I think he could make the team next year. I know you want to get younger but theres no way we are gonna be that young(rookies).

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
I agree with most about LA, but I also think that Kovalchuk would be a focal point of this team along with Gaborik, and theyre much younger. Plus we have Lundqvist, which is a huuuuge edge.

We may have missed the playoffs by a shootout loss but LA only won two more games than we did (playoffs). Kovalchuk should realize hed be an integral piece, one of the bigger pieces to our puzzle than LA, and we arent that far off ourselves from becoming a really good team. We have some young studs coming up with already maturing talent.
We are still quite a bit farther of than LA. We have "potential" top 6 forwards, while LA has current top 6 forwards with more talent on the way.

I can't read Kovalchuk's mind about what he wants from a team, but if he wants to win soon, he would go more-so with LA than NY. Although I would love to have Kovalchuk suited up in Ranger Blue next year.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Celestial Black

Meh, this worries me more than it makes me feel better.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote