HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leblanc Thread (Update-Q Rights traded to M.Junior)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2010, 09:53 AM
  #76
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
That would be so cool ... I could go see him almost every game! And give you guys a report

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:54 AM
  #77
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I wish he would play in the Q and *** on that league and then play in the AHL.
DuH: Why the hell would he leave Harvard to play in the Q? No bloody way. The only way he leaves harvard if is he and Habs are sure he can handle the AHL.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:05 AM
  #78
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I agree also. Could not make WJC, not dominant in a weak NCAA division,and you should be at his pick level, even first year.

I think Habs non hocky ops pressured Timmins on this one.

I will gladly eat crow too if I'm wrong, , but I've a really bad feeling about this guy.
So LL's a bust because he didn't make Team Canada as an 18 year old? That's ridiculous! A lot of players who have been cut from that team (or never even received an invitation to camp) have gone on to have great careers and a lot of players who have starred for Team Canada have been busts in the NHL. Team Canada picks players for the WJC team based on how good they are now, not how good they will be in five years when they are establishing themselves at the pro level.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:09 AM
  #79
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
So LL's a bust because he didn't make Team Canada as an 18 year old? That's ridiculous! A lot of players who have been cut from that team (or never even received an invitation to camp) have gone on to have great careers and a lot of players who have starred for Team Canada have been busts in the NHL. Team Canada picks players for the WJC team based on how good they are now, not how good they will be in five years when they are establishing themselves at the pro level.
Fair enough, but we have enough evidence now to know he's borderline. And borderline is just not good enough for that pick. End of story.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:12 AM
  #80
parachutist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
If he does go play in the Q, I hope the Montreal Junior trade for his right. I heard if he plays for the Junior, he could study at McGill at the same time.
Imagine Avtsin + Leblanc together. That would sell tickets.

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:15 AM
  #81
habsfan92
Registered User
 
habsfan92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
I think he should leave Harvard. Then it is up to mgmnt to decide whether he is ready to step into the AHL. If he not quite there yet, then the Q where he would get top minutes and a lot of games and have a better opportunity to make the World juniors-another good developing experience. I assume that he is a smart guy since he goes to Harvard, so I expect that his learning curve should be very good. Spend the offseason gaining strength & weight, and after the season in the Q it would not be unreasonable that he could potentially make the jump not to the A, but the NHL.
Do It!

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:16 AM
  #82
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Fair enough, but we have enough evidence now to know he's borderline. And borderline is just not good enough for that pick. End of story.
Borderline what? He had a great season in the USHL during his draft year and he did very well last year against men in the NCAA.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:18 AM
  #83
parachutist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Fair enough, but we have enough evidence now to know he's borderline. And borderline is just not good enough for that pick. End of story.
Well to be fair, Team Canada didn't win the championship and a lot of people complained about Team Canada not picking Louis Leblanc in favor of clearly inferior players. Also, I believe Louis Leblanc was hurt at camp so that didn't play in his favor. I don't see any evidence that Louis Leblanc is borderline.

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:22 AM
  #84
habsfan92
Registered User
 
habsfan92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Wasn't he just coming back from injury, but because of the league he played so many fewer games he was nowhere near the form he needed to be in to make the team. Also was writing exam during the camp I think. Not something you can really pass judgement on at this point.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:29 AM
  #85
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
lol no........I think he should finish is degree at Harvard and consider an other career than pro-hockey player.
Well mom. You may have a good point there. But I think the development that interests the habs most is hockey proficiency instead of grade points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
...don't know where to begin

players who went through prep school at some point in their career

-Jonathan Toews
-Sidney Crosby
-Joe Pavelski
-Brian Gionta
-TJ Oshie
-Zack Parise
-thomas vanek
-Kyle Okposo
-David Backes
-Ryan Malone
-Keith Yandle

clearly their the worst at developping prospect

Worst? no. Best?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31887

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:41 AM
  #86
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
well imo I'd rather he play in the Q for a season or two and get some actual opposition against him. I know Timmins and Gainey weren't thrilled that he was going to harvard, because the competition there is very weak.

Accroding to the Mattias Brunet Article he will be going to Chicoutimi, or he might be. Better than jumping to the AHL, and better than staying at Harvard. Good development move for Leblanc, imo.
I'm sure Harvard plays better competition than Chicoutimi, however, the length of the schedule is an issue at Ivy league schools as they only play around 30 games vs 45-50 in other conferences.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:41 AM
  #87
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
So LL's a bust because he didn't make Team Canada as an 18 year old? That's ridiculous! A lot of players who have been cut from that team (or never even received an invitation to camp) have gone on to have great careers and a lot of players who have starred for Team Canada have been busts in the NHL. Team Canada picks players for the WJC team based on how good they are now, not how good they will be in five years when they are establishing themselves at the pro level.
The US has their favourite sources for the WJC and Canada has its favourites too

Not making the Canada WJC team out of the USHL/NCAA as an 18 yr old is not exactly surprising

also, folks need to remember that picking the top 20 odd players does not happen either. There are positions AND roles to fill. Some top talent always gets left behind

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 10:56 AM
  #88
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
The US has their favourite sources for the WJC and Canada has its favourites too

Not making the Canada WJC team out of the USHL/NCAA as an 18 yr old is not exactly surprising

also, folks need to remember that picking the top 20 odd players does not happen either. There are positions AND roles to fill. Some top talent always gets left behind
Exactly. John Carlson didn't get selected for Team USA as an 18 year old and then he scored the gold medal winning goal as a 19 year old and finished the year playing in the NHL playoffs.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:06 AM
  #89
parachutist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Exactly. John Carlson didn't get selected for Team USA as an 18 year old and then he scored the gold medal winning goal as a 19 year old and finished the year playing in the NHL playoffs.
Carlson is an amazing borderline player then

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:13 AM
  #90
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
Carlson is an amazing borderline player then
He and PK Subban, they might some day make the NHL.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:32 AM
  #91
Rahan
Registered User
 
Rahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Fair enough, but we have enough evidence now to know he's borderline. And borderline is just not good enough for that pick. End of story.
Funny. Your "story" doesn't tell that Leblanc had to do 2 or 3 school exams during the Team Canada selection camp. Your story also doesn't tell people that Leblanc was playing through a wrist injury during that camp.

Who would you chose, an injured player that probably won't be healthy through the whole tournament and could be out of the tournament any minute or an inferior, healthy player?

That's what the story really is.

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:34 AM
  #92
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Hope he goes to the Q for a year dominates and likely play in the WJC. He could probably handle the AHL but prefer if they didn't rush him into pro.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:42 AM
  #93
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,218
vCash: 500
One could argue that we would have a better idea of Leblanc worth had he played in a league with more competition, and one would be right in saying that.

But one can't say Leblanc is bordeline just because he played for Harvard. He was still one of the best player in his league as well as the best player in his team as 18 years old playing against men. And the year before, he was also the best player in Omaha, playing alongside Kristo who is one year older.

Leblanc consistently performs very well in the environment he plays in. That's the most you can ask of any prospect. Oh, it's always possible he will plateau, but until he does, that's just wild speculation.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:05 PM
  #94
NHLfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Leblanc to Chicoutimi

Why leave Harvard to go play in the Q for Chicoutimi? It would not be a good decision from his part. He has a full scholarship. Coached by Ted Donato who played in the NHL.

NHLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:08 PM
  #95
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
hI don't want him to quit hockey....He's going to one of the best school of the word.It will be a major miskate if he didn't finish his degree to go in the AHL ( where is going to spend his career).

havard deegre > ahl career doing 14h bus ride( even if u can make to 500K,600k$)


After a year in Harvard he can come back and finish his degree anytime btw. Better he concentrate on hockey than school for now.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:20 PM
  #96
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post


After a year in Harvard he can come back and finish his degree anytime btw. Better he concentrate on hockey than school for now.
He might no be accepted without a scholarship to havard......And if he is , I' m not sure he can spend 76K/ years.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance
I agree, I think this might be a bit too premature a departure. Not saying Harvard was the best place for him to develop, but still, I hope this doesn't turn out like Max Pac v.2
More like Eric chounaird number 2.

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:22 PM
  #97
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
He might no be accepted without a scholarship to havard......And if he is , I' m not sure he can spend 76K/ years.....
I don't get your point. He's already been accepted? If it's the fees that worries you then you can try imagining if he's going to have any problems finding some bank to loan him the amount with an NHL career ahead.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:24 PM
  #98
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
So many experts here on HF, we're blessed.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:29 PM
  #99
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
So many experts here on HF, we're blessed.
I love how they actually think they know what is best for someone else's life.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:43 PM
  #100
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I don't get your point. He's already been accepted? If it's the fees that worries you then you can try imagining if he's going to have any problems finding some bank to loan him the amount with an NHL career ahead.
He was accepted with a scholarship.......if he quit for the AHL and realised in 2-3 years that he can't make the NHL , they might not accpet him again.The feed don't worrie me at all ( havard can loan the amount) but right now is fees are free......and sayind he has as NHL career aheed is prematured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I love how they actually think they know what is best for someone else's life.
nice post

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.