HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign D Yann Sauve

Old
05-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Ernie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
I don't get the O'Brain comparison... Sauve has a better skill set than O'Brain and skates much better as well.
O'Brien just isn't very smart.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I don't get the O'Brain comparison... Sauve has a better skill set than O'Brain and skates much better as well.
I don't believe much separates their size and skating ability but O'Brien handles the puck better and makes better decisions on what to do with it as well. I wouldn't say Sauve projects to be much better than O'Brien, if at all.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
By way of comparison -

In his final year of junior in the OHL O'Brien's stats:
62GP 16G 26A 42Pts 208PIMs and 6 of his goals came on the PP.

Sauve's stats for his final year:
61GP 7G 29A 36Pts 65PIMs and he had 1 goal on the PP.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 08:46 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
To me, Sauve seems like he could be somewhat like Ohlund one day if he develops to his full potential, except with better skating ability. He could be a future fixture on the 2nd pairing if given time and patience to learn properly with the right coaching, who could maybe put up anywhere from 20-30 points one day while playing a solid all-around 2-way game.

On a side note, aren't most No. 1 D-men solid both ways? Plus it's a given that they need to have super high endurance right? I'm not saying that Sauve could be one, but just wondering if these are the proper criteria for your No. 1 guy.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 10:35 PM
RobertKron

Seriously, though, Shane O'Brien, from now on, will be known as Shane O'Brain, right?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:03 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
Someone here mentioned Brad Stuart as a comparison before. I think I agree with that the most, by the sounds of Sauve's skillset.
Sauve's hockey sense and overall puck skills are *substantially* worse than Stuart's were at the same age. Sauve is, however, much more physical.

Stuart was a #3 overall draft pick who was projected as a star when he came into the league and spent the first decade of his career as a top-pairing defender who played 22-23 minutes/game including substantial PP time.

Past the age of 30, he's settled into a bit more of a supporting role in Detroit, but he was still a hell of a good player for most of his career.

Sauve has done nothing so far to indicate that he'll be on the level of a Brad Stuart. Stuart scored 36 points in the NHL at the same age that Sauve just scored 36 points in the QMJHL.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 11:15 PM
unikron

As per Al Murray, Sauve doesn't have the hockey smarts to project out as a top pairing d-man. His hockey IQ is also the reason he hasn't gotten a sniff with the U20 team.
Based on his assessment of Yann I think tempered expectations for his ceiling are in order, Al said bottom pairing with frustrating moments...

unikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:14 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
By way of comparison -

In his final year of junior in the OHL O'Brien's stats:
62GP 16G 26A 42Pts 208PIMs and 6 of his goals came on the PP.

Sauve's stats for his final year:
61GP 7G 29A 36Pts 65PIMs and he had 1 goal on the PP.
Sauve was a top pick in the CHL and was looked to be like a very good D man... he hasn't hit it but he has a higher upside than SOB.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Seriously, though, Shane O'Brien, from now on, will be known as Shane O'Brain, right?

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Moobles

I wouldn't mind if we could develop him into a #3-4 version of Shane O'Brien.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Sauve was a top pick in the CHL and was looked to be like a very good D man... he hasn't hit it but he has a higher upside than SOB.
As HF notes in their assessment Sauve could top out at at #3/4 Dman if he realizes that potential but it is just as likely that he could turn out to be a #7 Dman.

In O'Brien's case he improved significantly in each year of junior and as noted he had a much better final season than Sauve. Sauve has pretty much flatlined since being drafted and he never has come close to matching the promise he showed when drafted into the Q. Here was ISS's take when he was drafted into the Q:
Quote:
Yann Sauve, ISS’s top ranked player for the 2006 QMJHL Draft, has a tremendous combination of size and skill. He is an extremely gifted defenseman who possesses all of the skills to become a superstar in the “Q” and potentially the NHL. A complete defenseman with all the tools including a heavy shot and clearing the net effectively, he should anchor a team’s blue line effectively for years to come. Sauve is an exciting player to watch and a true blue chip prospect.
After the World U-17 championships in 2006, ISS said of Sauve:
Quote:
Sauve was solid in all facets of the game. He has good size. With maturity will come strength. He will be an intriguing prospect to keep an eye on for the 2008 Draft.
However his ratings dropped as he did not live up to what was promised when he was drafted out of Midget and after a solid rookie year:
Quote:
Expectations were high on the Rigaud, Quebec native entering the 2007-08 season and he seemed to shrink slightly under the spotlight. The anticipated progression from his rookie season did not appear.
After being touted as first round pick - even a top five pick his stock fell and the Canucks took him with the 41st over-all pick. As HF said:
Quote:
Sauve’s stock fell slightly during the season due to concerns about his decision-making with the puck. Already possessing NHL size and the right mentality to play in the big show, Sauve nonetheless has quite a bit of developing to do by all accounts.
Sauve is a bit of a project who is probably three to four years away from being a significant impact player at the professional level. Expect the Canucks to take it slow with Sauve and allow him to develop at an appropriate pace. He will never be an offensive contributor for the Canucks, but his stick skills must improve in order to get him to the big show.
Then you also have to consider that the Q is not known for turning out defensive Dmen as compared to the OHL and WHL.

If he even comes close to his earlier potential then the Canucks will have a solid pick but he remains a long term project and is not the blue chipper he was intially forecast to become.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Alan Jackson

I know people are down on Shane O'Brien, but he's a legitimate NHL defenseman that has played 300 games in the NHL. He also was traded for a first round pick a couple of seasons ago.

Quite frankly, if Sauve becomes a solid NHL defenseman of any sort, we should be pleased with the pick.

Again, how many 2nd rounders go on to have any sort of NHL career? I would guess it would be less than 25%. O'Brien and Sauve are different players, but if Sauve is able to forge a similar career, that would have to be seen as a success.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I know people are down on Shane O'Brien, but he's a legitimate NHL defenseman that has played 300 games in the NHL. He also was traded for a first round pick a couple of seasons ago.

Quite frankly, if Sauve becomes a solid NHL defenseman of any sort, we should be pleased with the pick.

Again, how many 2nd rounders go on to have any sort of NHL career? I would guess it would be less than 25%. O'Brien and Sauve are different players, but if Sauve is able to forge a similar career, that would have to be seen as a success.
That is an accurate assessment of Yann Sauve IMHO.

In O'Brien's case he can be a solid #5/6 D-man. When he has to fill in as a #3/4 D-man that is when he gets into trouble.

As Gillis said O'Brien needs to decide this for himself and if he is prepared to commit to it.
Quote:
"He beats to his own drum a little bit," said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis. "We've had some issues and he has shown signs of being a very good player. But he needs to come to a conclusion of what kind of player he wants to be.

"Shane is at that point in his career (when he has to decide) whether he wants to do what's necessary to become a top-five defenceman."
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...420/story.html

Old
05-29-2010, 01:02 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I hope he turns out to be more of a Murray Baron myself.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:34 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Pretty much every defensive defender in the NHL put up big numbers in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL when they were there. Guys like Scott Hannan and Corey Sarich were point-per-game players. Shane O'Brien put up similar numbers to Sauve in his last year of junior.

Any half-decent prospect should be an elite player in their final junior season. If they aren't, then they aren't going to make it.

It doesn't mean anything with regard to his pro upside. He's a defensive defender and will never be more than a 20-point player in the NHL.
That's a pretty bold statement.. Shea Weber had 41 points in 55 games in his last year in the WHL, and averaged 30 points. Brent Seabrook's best year in the WHL saw him score 54 points in 63 games - he averaged just 44 points a year.

I think they both "made it", considering they both have Olympic gold medals.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
Someone here mentioned Brad Stuart as a comparison before. I think I agree with that the most, by the sounds of Sauve's skillset.
Sauve seems a lot closer to Mark Stuart than Brad. Big, very physical, and a good skater, but doesn't have the talent/ smarts to be a key player on the PP or PK.

Wayne Maki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
That's a pretty bold statement.. Shea Weber had 41 points in 55 games in his last year in the WHL, and averaged 30 points.
Kelowna was playing a very defence-first system in his last two seasons - from 311 GF in 02-03 to 185 (and a Memorial Cup) in 03-04 to 215 in 04-05. There were also a half-dozen other good NHL prospects with the team during his stay here. He would've been putting up 70+ points on a team with less depth and a more offensive approach.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:30 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post

Exactly. If a serviceable bottom pairing defenseman is what Yann Sauve becomes they ought to be thrilled. Particularly if they can get affordable bottom pairing years out of him. Anytime a non-first rounder becomes an NHL regular it would have to be a success IMO.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
Exactly. If a serviceable bottom pairing defenseman is what Yann Sauve becomes they ought to be thrilled. Particularly if they can get affordable bottom pairing years out of him. Anytime a non-first rounder becomes an NHL regular it would have to be a success IMO.
People should not be expecting that he wil be able to step into the NHL right away - the general consensus is that he needs a couple of years to learn the NHL game. Suave was the subject of discussion on the Province Canucks Live Chat several times and every writer agreed he was a long term project who did have some tools but whether or not he had the toolbox was the concern.

Old
05-29-2010, 07:17 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
That's a pretty bold statement.. Shea Weber had 41 points in 55 games in his last year in the WHL, and averaged 30 points. Brent Seabrook's best year in the WHL saw him score 54 points in 63 games - he averaged just 44 points a year.

I think they both "made it", considering they both have Olympic gold medals.
I said `final junior season`.

Both Weber and Seabrook were top-5 defenders in the WHL in their final season there. Absolutely they were elite. That`s the sort of performance you`re looking for from a player as they get ready to turn pro the next year, if they`re a legitimate NHL prospect.

Sauve`s performance this season was quite good. But the fact that he scored a fair few points in his final season was to be expected if he was going to remotely justify his draft position, and doesn`t mean that he`s going to produce offensively in pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
Sauve seems a lot closer to Mark Stuart than Brad. Big, very physical, and a good skater, but doesn't have the talent/ smarts to be a key player on the PP or PK.
Another good comparison.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 07:22 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
People should not be expecting that he wil be able to step into the NHL right away - the general consensus is that he needs a couple of years to learn the NHL game. Suave was the subject of discussion on the Province Canucks Live Chat several times and every writer agreed he was a long term project who did have some tools but whether or not he had the toolbox was the concern.
I understand that, my thought was that his 'second contract' would still be relatively cheap for that reason.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
I understand that, my thought was that his 'second contract' would still be relatively cheap for that reason.
I was agreeing with you and Alan Jackson as I have the same general opinion as both of you. I was simply pointing out that the Province hockey writers see him as we do.

Old
05-29-2010, 07:48 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Yep. I don't remember the numbers, but Gare Joyce did a rundown in Future Greats and Heartbreaks that basically showed that after the first round, rounds 2-4 yielded similar odds of NHL careers, and those odds aren't all that hot.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Moobles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Yep. I don't remember the numbers, but Gare Joyce did a rundown in Future Greats and Heartbreaks that basically showed that after the first round, rounds 2-4 yielded similar odds of NHL careers, and those odds aren't all that hot.
Heh yeah I just read that. He also said it was nearly same for picks beyond like #20 in the 1st round or something like that, I don't remember the exact number.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Confirmed by Canucks.Com: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm...twt-vancanucks

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote