HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Short introduction and a few questions

Old
05-29-2010, 02:11 PM
denace

vCash: 500
Short introduction and a few questions

Hi there,

First of all, I love this site ! It is very informative and I allready spent a lot of time digging up useful information while waiting for my account to be validated.

Im Dennis and I'm 33 years old. Finally got the money to buy myself hockeygear and I'm going to join my local hockeyteam next season.

Currently I'm preparing myself for recreational hockey with 2 times a week conditioning and 2 times a week strenght training. Once a week I practise with my mates on inlineskates at a local rollerhockey rink.

I've quit smoking a month ago and I wasn't a very lean dude to begin with, but currently I'm weighing 106 KG's at 188 cm( thats 233 pounds and 6.1 long) I do want to lose some weight, but here is what I'm struggeling with

When I look at the pro's I see guys at my length like gaborik or hossa weighing 200 pounds or so....is that all muscle or do they have a relatively high bodyfat %?

My normal weight is 187 pound or 85 kg's...what should I do, slim down to 187 pound or keep it higher like 200 pounds ? Will this additional weight help me on the ice ?

Thanx in advance....good to be here

denace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:19 PM
ipushmycar

Most pros are pretty low bodyfat, but a lot of them still have a little meat on them.

That being said, pro hockey players are built NOTHING like NBA or NFL players. Most hockey players in person just look like they're in normal sports shape. A lot of those NBA/NFL players are jacked to high hell.

As for weight, being lean is better than fat. You're 33 playing an intense physical sport. Practice, lift, eat healthy, and you will change shape with time.

Obviously, you want to be as lean as possible. It's better to be 185 lean than 200 with a little fat. Simply because fat will not help you balance on ice nor will it improve your endurance.

ipushmycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:47 PM
denace

Quote:
That being said, pro hockey players are built NOTHING like NBA or NFL players. Most hockey players in person just look like they're in normal sports shape. A lot of those NBA/NFL players are jacked to high hell.
Yeah I was surprised to see that too...I don't know why that is ?

Quote:
Obviously, you want to be as lean as possible. It's better to be 185 lean than 200 with a little fat. Simply because fat will not help you balance on ice nor will it improve your endurance.
I thought it would make me a bit faster, dunno why though

Well, me and the hometrainer will be good friends over the next couple of months...

and maybe I'll throw a nice 10-90 in just like Jaromir to complete the look

Old
05-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by denace View Post
Yeah I was surprised to see that too...I don't know why that is ?
Steroids.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by denace View Post
Hi there,

First of all, I love this site ! It is very informative and I allready spent a lot of time digging up useful information while waiting for my account to be validated.

Im Dennis and I'm 33 years old. Finally got the money to buy myself hockeygear and I'm going to join my local hockeyteam next season.

Currently I'm preparing myself for recreational hockey with 2 times a week conditioning and 2 times a week strenght training. Once a week I practise with my mates on inlineskates at a local rollerhockey rink.

I've quit smoking a month ago and I wasn't a very lean dude to begin with, but currently I'm weighing 106 KG's at 188 cm( thats 233 pounds and 6.1 long) I do want to lose some weight, but here is what I'm struggeling with

When I look at the pro's I see guys at my length like gaborik or hossa weighing 200 pounds or so....is that all muscle or do they have a relatively high bodyfat %?

My normal weight is 187 pound or 85 kg's...what should I do, slim down to 187 pound or keep it higher like 200 pounds ? Will this additional weight help me on the ice ?

Thanx in advance....good to be here

Welcome!

When I finished playing full contact competitive hockey I was 6'1" and 215. I played defense so I needed some extra bulk on top for playing in front of the net. I was pretty leaned out body fat wise (about 9%). After I was done and was just playing pick up and beer league and not skating everyday I lost about 10 lbs in my legs alone. Then my upper body was too big for my knees so I lost another 15 lbs and now I am about 190 lbs.

The reason I bring that up is that your legs are going be pushing 230 lbs around a lot more than they were doing. You will gain muscle there fast and thus gain weight there. So if you are working out like a madman and not losing lots of weight in the beginning keep going. Once you have added the leg weight the upper body will come around and you will see a greater difference.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:23 PM
denace

Quote:
Steroids.
that and I`ve been reading that a lot of hockeyplayers like to get their drinks up between games
Quote:
You will gain muscle there fast and thus gain weight there. So if you are working out like a madman and not losing lots of weight in the beginning keep going.
Great ! I already have big quads from playing soccer and skateboarding half of my life..I'm doing a lot of squats and powercleans at the gym at the moment so I'm working on them intensively.

Old
05-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Hockey players typically have a lean build with a lot of lower body strength, and often will have disproportionate muscle mass down low (quads and butt). Most aren't going to have huge pecks and a sixer, but few have a belly at all because they skate so much.

My stats at 5'8 173 would be impressive if my bodyfat weren't 24%

Anyway, Focus on general strength and endurance for now, eventually want to build lower
body and core strength.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Missed your last post...you're on the perfect track. My high school weight room teacher (Edina produces several NHL prospects) stressed for hockey players squats, cleans, and plyo.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:40 AM
denace

thanks Jarick, I'm afraid to measure my bf%....I just look at the scale for now

Are there any fitness experts on this forum ? I want to evaluate my HIIT training on my hometrainer...