HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHLPA files grievance for goalies

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 10:53 PM
PecaFan

vCash: 500
NHLPA files grievance for goalies

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55658

Bloody whiners. "48 inches is just toooo short to protect me".

Old
09-29-2003, 10:59 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Snow, who removed his flaps before training camp has complained of being struck on the inside of the knee.

Then he sure picked the right career, standing on ice in front of a net with pucks flying at him.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:01 PM
BCCHL inactive

I don't blame goaltenders for wanting the flap if it protects the inside of their knees.

I also think that the height restriction should be based on each goaltender's height. It isn't exactly fair that a 6'4" should be limited to the same height of pads that a 5'7" goaltender can wear.

That being said...**** the NHLPA.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:08 PM
Ajo

Its not that good if the goalies get struck at the knees with too short pads. Give them protection, but not ULTRA WIDE and MONSTER THICK pads.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:38 PM
marcel

vCash:
i wonder if all the goalie are whining ,i bet it just a handful, garth snow should play nets in lacrosse he had the biggest sholder pad sin the nhl.i like to dress the whiners up in goalie gear from the 70's and 80 's and see if they still wine after wearing it.todays gear is huge compared to the telephone books they wore for pad in the 70's..

Old
09-29-2003, 11:43 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel
i wonder if all the goalie are whining ,i bet it just a handful, garth snow should play nets in lacrosse he had the biggest sholder pad sin the nhl.i like to dress the whiners up in goalie gear from the 70's and 80 's and see if they still wine after wearing it.todays gear is huge compared to the telephone books they wore for pad in the 70's..
But the players also shoot a hell of a lot harder in this day and age...especially with the technology being put into hockey sticks.

Back then, a 90mph slapshot was a rarity...today, if your shot isn't 90mph, it's not NHL calibre.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:28 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
But the players also shoot a hell of a lot harder in this day and age...especially with the technology being put into hockey sticks.

Back then, a 90mph slapshot was a rarity...today, if your shot isn't 90mph, it's not NHL calibre.
Don't tell Lemieux that. Things aren't right until forwards can lauch pucks out of pistols and goalies have to play bare naked in front of nets that cover the width of the ice.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:05 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I don't blame goaltenders for wanting the flap if it protects the inside of their knees.
Depends you know, are they whining because they seriously thinks the new rules without the flap could cause more injuries or because it will open the hole ????????

Old
09-30-2003, 04:00 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 0
My initial reaction is that Garth Snow needs to re-learn his butterfly technique if he keeps getting hurt by shots when going down in the butterfly position.

There are definately sporting considerations apart from safety considerations when it comes to goalie equipment. It is not like we expect goalies to stand there naked. 48" pads should be enough to protect the goalkeeper no matter how tall he is.

My initial reaction is that Snow realized he is much worse at stopping pucks without his monster pads and is worried about that. Not about getting hurt.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:17 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Back in the day goalies wore equipment to protect themselves. Now it's gone to another step, were as the equipment is also used to stop the puck.

I agree a height limit on the leg pads should depend on the size of the goalie. But they need to do something about the size of the catching gloves, the shoulder pads and chest protectors.

I also think the players should go back to wooden sticks.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:22 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=55658

Bloody whiners. "48 inches is just toooo short to protect me".
I was waiting for this to happen.

Just wait until the first goalie goes down with a serious injury. It'll be blamed on the equipment size, and there will be talk about a lawsuit.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:07 AM
RedK

The flap is called a thigh board. When a pad rotates around your leg as you go into a butterfly, your knee and the area right above it can be exposed to shots. A hard shot could shatter your knee cap, break your femur, etc. A thigh board is a hard flap that partly rotates with the pad but covers the open spot on your leg. If you butterfly tightly, the thigh boards may slightly overlap, closing the 5-hole. But if you butterflied that tightly, your legs were close together and the puck couldn't get through anyway. The thighboard is simply covering something that is already closed. Additionally, your stick would have been there first. So the puck has to get through your stick and your legs to make that goal. If you've got bad technique - your stick is in the wrong place or you dont' have a tight butterfly - the thigh boards still won't be close enough to stop the short. Nor are they sturdy enough. Even if the thighboards were long enough to stick out past the leg into the 5-hole, they can be pushed inward. A hard shot will flap them like the doors of a saloon and go right on in the net. Thighboards simply won't make up for bad technique. They do protect the goalie from injury.

Goalies could wear knee guards, which are a type of knee pad. But kneeguards simply absorb some force, not deflect it like thigh guards do. Goalies can still be hurt. Additionally thigh guards offer no coverage for the side of the knee so the risk of injury is still there.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:00 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Just wait until the first goalie goes down with a serious injury. It'll be blamed on the equipment size, and there will be talk about a lawsuit.
Snow already has made a veiled threat to Bettman regarding his looking into the legalities.

By the by, the first goalie to complain was Roberto Luongo because at his height, he's going to take more shots to the knees. The article mentions 6'5" Valiquette as another victim.

http://www.goalies.com/site/story.pa...79&StoryType=2

Old
09-30-2003, 10:11 AM
Malefic74

Ugh! I hate those bloody thighboards and wound up hunting high and low for an old pair of Vaughns made before they became popular and in decent shape. My alternative is I built in a pad made of foam and platic that is attached to the pants instead of the pad. Protection seems fine (a few bruises aside) and they are nowhere near as bulky as the thighboards.

Snow is a whiner. Period. I'm 6'4 and I wera 34" pads, doesn't bother me. If you play the position right you can minimize the risk of injuries from shots. If you flop around like a landed fish as Hasek does intentionally or Snow does because he's out of position (A LOT), than it is your own damn fault if you get a shot where there is little protection. Funny how you don't hear any complaints from the other big guys like Sean Burke (6'4) or Olaf Kolzig (6'3).

It's gotten ridiculous, I was going to buy a new chest protector last summer. Tried them on and hated everyone of them. Wound up spending $150 to fix my old one instead. I hate the big gear and don't like watching the goalies who use it because they are depending on equipment rather than skill. Patrick Roy was 10 times the goalie in 93' than in any of the last 5 years.

What is funny is the hypocracy of the NHLPA on the issue. You have 64 members (in theory) upset about the equipment on one hand. On the other you have about 400 saying "It's about time." So no matter what the NHL says some players will be choked. Who do you think the league will side with established, All-Star caliber players (and a couple of goalies) or a journeyman (at best) like Snow?

Old
09-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

Just to put this into perspective, my Dad was cleaning out the basement a few years ago and found his late 70's-early 80's goal equipment.

His stuff (with the exception of the pads) was smaller than my player equipment from the late 90's. The pants were smaller, the shoulder pads were smaller, and the catcher was laughable.

Brett Hull's dad had a big shot, didn't he? Goalies today are *******.

Closed Thread