HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky

View Poll Results: Should Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky be the Oilers #1 line this season?
Yes 37 78.72%
No 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 06:52 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky

I think Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky should be the Oilers #1 line this season. You put a couple of goal scorers in Smyth and Isbister with the best playmaker the Oilers have had in years (Hemsky). . The Oilers finally get a big center and Isbister is given the best possible chance to turn himself into a top line winger. I love the look of this line, I don't know what else to say

Old
09-29-2003, 06:54 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

To me, Smyth just isn't a center, I don't really wanna see this line open up the season, but if that's what we're forced to do, that's what we're forced to do. It's not a bad predicament.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:58 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I presonally love that line for two reasons. I think it's the perfect blend of grit/skill/determination and that Izzy and Smyth would simply have to cycle the puck and go to the net for Hemmer. The second thing I Like about it (I guess third cause I pointed out two things above) is that York on the second line will help that line alot. I think Horcoff would be suitable with Hemmer and Smyth to start the season as the second line. Yes thats right, second line. Have Izzy-York-Dvo as the defacto first line that would be constantly challenged for first line status by the second line. Izzy and Dvo would really benefit from the extra ice time and confidence shown in them IMO. And I wonder. Would the other team put their checking line out against Izzy-York-Dvo or against Smyth-Horcoff-Hemmer?
I dunno
I still prefer Izzy-Smyth-Hemmer and York-Horcoff-Dvo

Old
09-29-2003, 06:59 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
To me, Smyth just isn't a center, I don't really wanna see this line open up the season, but if that's what we're forced to do, that's what we're forced to do. It's not a bad predicament.
I know exactly what your thinking. I can't help but wonder too. But if Smyth CAN play center then we would be solving one of our biggest problems we've had since I can remember!

Old
09-29-2003, 07:06 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I say yes. In the one game they played together, they looked pretty good and if anyone can train Smyth up in the faceoff circle, it is MacT. The faceoff thing is really the only issue I have with Smyth being a center.

Basically, 2 big bodies for Hemsky to bounce pucks off sounds like a great line. Also the way Isbister has been drinve to the net this year... well, he looks GREAT doing it

And it isn't like Hemsky can't shoot. I think that line could get 80 + goals all together .. 25 for Issy, 35 for Smyth and 20 for Hemmer.. That isn't unreasonable at all. And I could be underestimating Issy and Hemmer

Old
09-29-2003, 07:08 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Watching him play the position hasn't really changed my mind either. There's just a sort of way centers play the game, and I don't see Smyth as being able to do it, but who knows with the way that line will work.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:14 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the big thing is faceoffs and defense. Which IMO is doable for Smytty. In the neutral zone and in the offensive Zone I don't want to see anybody but Hemsky with the puck for the most part (unless he's getting double-manned or something like that) - so I think the whole cycling thing would still be similar for Smyth being able to go to the net. Only difference is he doesn't have to rush in from the boards, but just in a straight line!!

Old
09-29-2003, 07:34 PM
Oiltalk

I'd really like to know how people can vote yes. Losing Marchant will hamper the Oilers in the faceoff department enough. Making Smyth a Center would be suicide, especially come playoff time.
Lowe has no intentions on Smyth being a Center, and as I stated earlier it is completely obvious this situation in training camp is to test the left wingers. We know what Smyth brings, so the York injury allowed for MacT to move Smyth over and see an extra left winger in action.

Who would work the boards, the way Smyth does?

Old
09-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Whether or not thie experiment continues into the season...

I just want to pass on one tid bit that Kevin Lowe said to me on the subject while at the UofA game.

"I just wonder who the other team will put against him. Do they play their #1 checking line or a scoring line?" - Kevin Lowe

I thought it was an interesting point.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:42 PM
jadeddog

i would rather not see smyth at centre..... for all the reasons that have been mentioned already... my top two lines would be:

smyth-horcoff-hemsky
isbister-york-dvorak

i know i know, i dont really think that horcoff is 1st line center material either, but he would bring some extra size to that line, and i personally think he would benefit from playing with hemsky and smyth as they will force him to raise his game

i also LOVE the idea of playing york with dvo and izzy because it would free up some space for york.

but i wouldnt really mind york as no. 1 centre and horcoff as no.2 either.... either configuration wouldnt really bother me..... the real questions and concerns to me are the 3rd and 4th line, but thats a whole nother thread isnt it

Old
09-29-2003, 09:01 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
jadeddog[/b]]i dont really think that horcoff is 1st line center material either, but he would bring some extra size to that line
At least someone points out that Smytty is the smallest body at 6' 1" and a 190 lbs. Horcoff's in at 6' 1" weighing 204 lbs. Hemski at 6' is heavier now tipping the scales at 192 lbs.

(Source)
2003-2004 EDMONTON OILERS TRAINING CAMP ROSTER
Active Players Still in Camp
Last update 09/20/2003

Old
09-30-2003, 08:24 AM
Freakey Styley

i said no just because smyth doesn't look like a guy who can play center over a long period of time, then again i haven't had the chance to see him play that position yet, but to me it's just seems unlikely, smyth might be able to be a strong center for 10-12 games but i don't think 80-82.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:39 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I think Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky should be the Oilers #1 line this season. You put a couple of goal scorers in Smyth and Isbister with the best playmaker the Oilers have had in years (Hemsky). . The Oilers finally get a big center and Isbister is given the best possible chance to turn himself into a top line winger. I love the look of this line, I don't know what else to say
You are really Craig MacTavish looking for our approval on line combinations this year aren't you?

Cool Craig, well at least you aren't waiting until November to figure your lines out. Good luck this year.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:21 AM
barto

I'm one of those who *believes* ("NOW do you believe, Trinity?") that Smyth can handle the job at center - obviously with work on faceoffs. Smyth has even killed penalties in the past (Ron Low days?) and can be more defensively aware than he's shown the last year or two. In fact, I think he'll thrive on this challenge.

So I voted to take the BLUE PILL.

I mean, YES.

Bart

Closed Thread