HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stanley Cup Finals - Game 1: Flyers @ Blackhawks - May 29, 2010 - 8:00 P.M. (ET)

Old
05-29-2010, 05:06 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrendan View Post
Video Preview I made.

Wow... talk about getting chills.

GO FLYERS!!!!!

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Why? All they need is 1 of 2.
While I don't entirely agree with GKJ here, I feel the "We only need one of two" mentality really set them back against Boston. It's the only time the entire playoffs I felt they let up in their comments and didn't quite know what they were going to do. Granted that might have been overtime loss shock, but I still feel the best mentality for the start of this thing is along the lines of "A stitch in time saves nine," if that makes any sense.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
I don't even think they need to split in CHI. I expect they'll do at least that well and if they do, the Hawks are already in serious trouble.
Well, I'm hoping that there is already some of that desperate energy in Game 1 from the Flyers. Not like a desperation like it's a Game 7, but they really need to get off on the right foot and get the upper hand in this series. I don't want to mess around with must-win games early in the series. Position yourself so that you can skate the Cup in Game 6.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:12 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
While I don't entirely agree with GKJ here, I feel the "We only need one of two" mentality really set them back against Boston. It's the only time the entire playoffs I felt they let up in their comments and didn't quite know what they were going to do. Granted that might have been overtime loss shock, but I still feel the best mentality for the start of this thing is along the lines of "A stitch in time saves nine," if that makes any sense.
Obviously they should have this attitude, but the Hawks are a deep, talented team and I think it's kind of unrealistic for us as fans to expect more than 1 of the first 2.

To win this series, I do think we have to win all 3 of our home games tbh, we'll need the crowd to spur us to new heights and to intimidate the Hawks, I can't see us winning more than 1 game in Chicago.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:12 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Taking this first game would be HUGE. I honestly think who ever wins tonight will win the cup.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:13 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Well, I'm hoping that there is already some of that desperate energy in Game 1 from the Flyers. Not like a desperation like it's a Game 7, but they really need to get off on the right foot and get the upper hand in this series. I don't want to mess around with must-win games early in the series. Position yourself so that you can skate the Cup in Game 6.
Hopefully, we've seen the last of the flat 1st periods. I think we have. My feeling is just that I won't be worried if the results are less than great out there. I like the Flyers record both at home and late in series.

The hawks haven't been great at home, so of course I'm hoping for a quick strike win tonight.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:15 PM
PhillyPhantic

Let's win a statement game! Go Flyers!

PhillyPhantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:19 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Taking this first game would be HUGE. I honestly think who ever wins tonight will win the cup.
The thing about winning this first game is that in all the matchup analysis that has gone on, we definitely have the veteran leadership on our side.

I mean, if we can come out and take this game, who in the Hawks room has been there before? Who is going to provide that veteran know-how?

Having Pronger in our room could be a significant edge depending on how the series plays out.

I know Toews is a phenomenal leader, but he doesn't have a tenth of the experience that Pronger does.

Old
05-29-2010, 05:21 PM
UseYourAllusion

Im so excited, I've started drinking, just to settle my nerves.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Max_fly

Send a message via MSN to Max_fly
I'm choking

Max_fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:22 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
The thing about winning this first game is that in all the matchup analysis that has gone on, we definitely have the veteran leadership on our side.

I mean, if we can come out and take this game, who in the Hawks room has been there before? Who is going to provide that veteran know-how?

Having Pronger in our room could be a significant edge depending on how the series plays out.

I know Toews is a phenomenal leader, but he doesn't have a tenth of the experience that Pronger does.
Hossa has plenty of experience losing in the finals. He can be a huge help there, plus when they're down, he can tell them, "Don't worry, we'll make it back next year."

Old
05-29-2010, 05:25 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Hossa has plenty of experience losing in the finals. He can be a huge help there, plus when they're down, he can tell them, "Don't worry, we'll make it back next year."

I was thinking Hossa, but you took it to the next level.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:26 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Actually wouldn't it be...

"Well...on to the next team."

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

They got Andrew Ladd and Marian Hossa. Hossa has to feel like a man on a mission. He already wasn't going to hear the end of it when he left Pittsburgh for Detroit, if the Flyers win...

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../14185326.html

Quote:
“I made the mistake of saying we prepared for ten months. ‘You guys prepared for 10 months, 11 months, nine months, whatever,’” said Laviolette this morning. “Ian Laperriere corrected me and said ‘I’ve been preparing 15 years for this.’ Guys are ready for this.”

“Yeah. I said, ‘nine months? I’ve been waiting 15 years for this.’ It’s funny that he brought that up,” said Laperriere. “I’m not going to nap this afternoon. I’ve been waiting my whole life for this.”
This is where I think the Flyers have an advantage. The Flyers have a number of guys who have been around a while who have been through disappointment a number of times. Gagne, Lappy, Briere, Timonen, are all into their 30s and this might be their only shot. Gagne (if you count 2008) and Briere have lost 3 times in the conference finals before getting here this year.

I feel like this is a golden opportunity for the Flyers, because we don't really know if they're going to be able to sustain this over the next 10-15 years like Washington should, and Pittsburgh could, plus whichever rising young superstars (Tavares) are in the conference. Chicago is kind of built so that even if they won't win this series, they'll be at the top of the Western Conference for the foreseeable future.

Old
05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
mypunkrock

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:30 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Actually wouldn't it be...

"Well...on to the next team."
Just so long as it's not here. He's a helluva two-way player but I'm a superstitious hockey fan.

Old
05-29-2010, 05:32 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Chicago is kind of built so that even if they won't win this series, they'll be at the top of the Western Conference for the foreseeable future.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they completely ****ed In Re: the cap next year or so?

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:35 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_fly View Post
I'm choking
This is perfect for a "That's What Hossa said"

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:38 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
They got Andrew Ladd and Marian Hossa.
I think John Madden won something once too...

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

John Madden knows a thing or two about playing in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they completely ****ed In Re: the cap next year or so?
Somewhat. If they find someone to take Huet and decide Campbell isn't worth it, they'll be fine. But still they got Keith, Toews, Kane, Hossa, Bolland locked up, and Seabrook is an RFA. I think it's more managable than people think, they'll lose Sharp or something, but I don't think they'll lose guys they can't replace.

We got here without playing Pittsburgh or Washington, so I'd like to take full advantage of that, because that won't happen too much over the next 10-12 years.

Old
05-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Watchin this one at the bar, give em hell Flyers.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:59 PM
phlacheesesteak

im soo nervous right now, i feel like im about to get dressed and go play....and the series hasnt started yet..

man do i need a drink.

LETS GO FLYERS!

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Thrilladelphia

All I want from this game is to see Richie score first and make an absolute statement...

Like this.

Thrilladelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:10 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
John Madden knows a thing or two about playing in the Stanley Cup Finals.
**** I totally forgot about him.