HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Disadvantages of an intermediate stick?

Old
05-29-2010, 02:00 PM
jwilliams

vCash: 500
Disadvantages of an intermediate stick?

This is probably a dumb question, but if the length is fine are there an disadvantages of using an intermediate stick in order to try a super low flex?

jwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Hrad

I'm thinking durability.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:07 PM
ipushmycar

I've done this research.

No. Intermediate sticks are just shorter and more flexible. The blade is exactly the same size as a senior stick.

Intermediates:
-Shorter
-Slightly "skinnier" shaft
-Lower flex (60,70,85,etc)
-Cheaper

I've juggled between senior and intermediate. I'm 5'9", so most intermediates come perfect length (no need to cut), but I'm also 190lbs strong so I opt for a stiffer senior.

I had a 70 flex intermediate that was just too whippy. Now I use a 75-85 flex senior cut down 2-3".

Durability is negligible. Unless you're 6'3" 230lbs using a 70 flex intermediate stick... then you might snap it. Otherwise, its construction is really just as sturdy as senior.

ipushmycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:22 PM
jwilliams

I was at a shop yesterday and held up an intermediate Easton and it was literally the exact same length as my senior Easton.

I'm using an 85 flex right now but was thinking about trying something like a 75 to get a little more zip on my wrist shot. I rarely take slap shots.

I'm about 5'11" and maybe 165-170 lbs. Pretty average so I'm not worried about snapping a lower flex.

jwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:09 PM
wearethegreek

negatory

see phil kessel

my bauer one70 int, cut 1" is pretty much a horse, it feels sturdier than other senior Eastons I've had, as well as Warriors. The feel is unreal on int sticks. Perfect for my hands which are shorter length than average. You just have to make sure to follow through and finish your shots so they remain accurate, because you'll realize soon the weight you're use to putting into shots is now really bowing the stick. So pro.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For me:

pros

- more flexible and easier to load on wristers
- cheaper
- don't need to cut down nearly as much so the flex is easier to predict

cons

- skinnier shaft
- can feel like it will break on slappers but I never take them in games

really if you need the low flex get an intermediate...it's better to use the flex that's right for you.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 02:09 PM
JSand

i use an intermediate stick at 5'4", 130 lbs. it is a 67 flex cut down about 2 inches. i have been looking for something a bit more flexible. i know bauer makes a 60 flex intermediate but it would appear that they do only for the one95 and x:60 models. does anyone know if there are any more moderatley priced sticks that have a 60ish flex either in bauer or from other manufacturers? I have thought about going to a junior stick but just don't want a junior blade. Thanks

Jeff

JSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Warrior has 55 flex intermediates, don't know if they're cheaper though.

Old
09-09-2010, 03:16 PM
JSand

Thanks Jarick. I am only seeing the Warrior 55 flexes available in the highest end model(s). Makes it kind of pricey to experiment.

JSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
For me:

pros

- more flexible and easier to load on wristers
- cheaper
- don't need to cut down nearly as much so the flex is easier to predict

cons

- skinnier shaft
- can feel like it will break on slappers but I never take them in games

really if you need the low flex get an intermediate...it's better to use the flex that's right for you.
I like a skinnier shaft. I have a Franklin THT Graphite stick and at the butt of the stick it is almost round i love it

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:06 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
I like a skinnier shaft. I have a Franklin THT Graphite stick and at the butt of the stick it is almost round i love it
So many dirty thoughts.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:27 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
I was at a shop yesterday and held up an intermediate Easton and it was literally the exact same length as my senior Easton.

I'm using an 85 flex right now but was thinking about trying something like a 75 to get a little more zip on my wrist shot. I rarely take slap shots.

I'm about 5'11" and maybe 165-170 lbs. Pretty average so I'm not worried about snapping a lower flex.
Im same size pretty much and it took my senior one95 77 flex shaft about 7 months to snap, and thats through a buttload of slapshots. So flex wise that is pretty good flex for you, or atleast till you feel like you need to get a stiffer flex. I do wanna say though my Easton 85 flex S11 felt awfully close to my 77 flex one95...

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I'm 6'2 and about 185. I currently use about an 82 flex Easton Synergy which I love for slap shots and it still has decent pop on wresters and snap shots but not the great. I was thinking of trying a flex in the 70s to test the difference. might I go the intermediate route or try an 80 flex senior with the 2" plug I have? any stick I get will need to be lengthened.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
nullterm

If you want to try it out on a budget, you should be able to find a wood Easton Classic Intermediate for like $20 with a 70 flex. Had one for most of the summer season on two teams until it broke down, but it felt great until then.

I really liked the lower flex for wristers and for working on my slappers too.

Before I was using 85 flex wood & composites, but now I'm gonna switch to a 80 flex two piece and see how it goes splitting the difference.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just got my harrow 300 intermediate and it's lovely. Got a nice whip to it.

Old
09-09-2010, 10:50 PM
The Spicy Shrimp

I use an 85 flex and I'm about 250, last time I checked. Taken a lot of hard slappers with it, a lot of good, whippy wristers, and I haven't noticed any feelings of "oh no, I feel like it's going to snap."

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Next stick I buy I'm getting intermediate. I'm 5'11 at/around 170ish.
I like getting that whip feeling when I shoot. I don't like having a really stiff shaft. So I think I will go with my Zetterberg curve but on a intermediate stick to check the differences between the two types and which I prefer.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I'm a pretty skinny guy, and I had to use an intermediate stick for a while a few months ago... I liked what it did for my wrist shot, but hated how floppy it felt.

I felt like hard passes would bounce off my stick, and snapping passes would end up being very inaccurate. Much bigger fan of my 85-95 flexes.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Blueland89

I'm 5"10 220 lbs to ou think i'm too big to use an intermediate stick

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 06:30 PM
RobertKron

The shaft might torque a bit more, but otherwise it shouldn't really pose any problems. I doubt someone who would have problems with that would be a candidate for an INT shaft anyway.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
I use an 85 flex and I'm about 250, last time I checked. Taken a lot of hard slappers with it, a lot of good, whippy wristers, and I haven't noticed any feelings of "oh no, I feel like it's going to snap."
Exactly the same for me. Same weight as you, and I had been using 100/110 flex sticks (cause I got them used so they were high quality for low price). I finally manned up and bought a brand new stick and got a Vapor XXXX 85 flex and loved it. I lost a bit of velocity on my slappers, but they were more accurate. Wristers got harder and more accurate. Didn't feel overly whippy and definitely not like it was going to snap in my hands. That stick eventually broke between an opposing forward and the boards (R.I.P. XXXX) and I got an Easton ST 85 flex (used, mind you, but at least it's the right flex) and am still loving the shots I get with it (plus the ST feels even sturdier. Thing is a tank).

Personally intermediates flexed too much and just kind of died on the follow through on slappers, but being 250 that's my size and not the stick. I'm thinking the people on here around 170ish could probably use an intermediate and be happy with it, and maybe even prefer it to their senior sticks. If you can experiment with the idea for cheap, might as well try it. It could end up changing your game significantly

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:47 AM
nullterm

People should pick up a $20 intermediate woodie, it was an eye opener for me how much my shot improved with a 70 flex.

There's a guy in the NHL who's 6'2" and 233lbs and uses something around 80 flex. I think he's called "Ovechkin" or something. And he scores on occasion.

http://hockey.inlinewarehouse.com/showthread.php?t=2644

http://wildabouthockey.blogspot.com/...-flex-and.html

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It depends on your height more than anything. If you're 5' tall an intermediate might be stiff for you and if you're 6'6 it's going to be way too whippy. If you've got longer arms and are taller, you will use a longer stick which is more flexible.

I don't think weight is the best indicator...you can have two different guys at 5'9, one is 200 pounds and has a lot of body fat with little muscle, another is 160 pounds and lean but with good muscle and strength. Maybe if they were off ice and leaning on the stick the 200 pound guy could flex it easier, but in a game where you're shooting the puck I'll put my money on the 160 pounder.

Old
09-17-2010, 11:13 PM
94now

Skinny shaft is the only issue with me.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 09:21 AM
dpixel8

for short guys like me, I love mine. Great flex and seems just as durable as a Sr that I tried before. (I am 5'4)

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote