HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bettman says cap likely up $2 million next season

Old
05-29-2010, 09:22 AM
onice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Well that helps us in the re signing process.

I hope you don't mean this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Great news, now maybe we can re-sign Darche and MAB.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:54 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

So now the cap is gonna be close to 59 mil.

And the Habs have the entire defense locked-up, and 4 of the top 6 on offense and have 15 mil, to sign -6-7 role players, and Plex, Halak and Price.

The Habs have quite enough leeway to modify the team and improve it. Trades will be key, but not necessarily to acquire players, rather to create free spots on the lineup and further cap space (Hammer, Spacek, AK).
Contradicting yourself here. On one hand you're saying we have our defense locked-up, ample space with 15 million, to sign 6-7 role players and Plex, Halak and Price .

Then you go on to say that dumping salary is key - Hamrlik, Spacek and AK.

I don't know about you - but teams with Cap problems are the ones who usually need to dump salary.

As for your dumping suggestions - I'm sure that we can find a taker who will gamble on AK. But, we all know that he's going to be free from his brother, and he will be UFA = good chance of a comeback year.

Hamrlik and Spacek - why do people keep dreaming that these contracts are movable in this cap-era?

Face it, dumping salary is not an ideal scenario for a team like the Habs- it's one thing to try and dump salary when the core is young and elite, it's another thing to do so when the core starts with 7.3 Gomez.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Contradicting yourself here. On one hand you're saying we have our defense locked-up, ample space with 15 million, to sign 6-7 role players and Plex, Halak and Price .

Then you go on to say that dumping salary is key - Hamrlik, Spacek and AK.

I don't know about you - but teams with Cap problems are the ones who usually need to dump salary.

As for your dumping suggestions - I'm sure that we can find a taker who will gamble on AK. But, we all know that he's going to be free from his brother, and he will be UFA = good chance of a comeback year.

Hamrlik and Spacek - why do people keep dreaming that these contracts are movable in this cap-era?

Face it, dumping salary is not an ideal scenario for a team like the Habs- it's one thing to try and dump salary when the core is young and elite, it's another thing to do so when the core starts with 7.3 Gomez.
Go read my post, I didn't contradict anything, you misread. It's clearly written. I start off by saying how we can KEEP everyone. Then I say that if we want to improve the team, then we need to trade players, but not just for cap space, but to create roster spots.

Salary dumps aren't exclusive to teams with cap problems, you create this little paradigm so there's no way around your sophistry.

I never said "DUMPING SALARY is KEY" You have very poor text analysis (or just plainly read what you want to take out). I said trades will be key (as I expect our solutions to be on both the FA and trade market. You transformed "trading players to create roster spots and cap space" to "salary dumps". You completely left out the most important part that I was suggesting, creating roster spots. I want to improve the D, yet we have 7 spots already filled. If one wants to add a D (on the FA market), one needs to trade a D.

Anyway, there's just no point in arguing with someone who believes a one contract year Hammer can't be traded, and evenmoreso a Spacek at 3,8 for two seasons is nothing stiffling for most teams, and there will be teams who will have those needs.

And to top it off, your comment about Gomez... you know very little about cap management and the cap era if you still believe a sole overpayment of a single player of about 1/1,5 mil can stiffle teams.

I hope you haven't dumped your placard with "the end is nigh" written on it, you'll need it next year before the next cap numbers come out.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 12:47 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I start off by saying how we can KEEP everyone.
According to cap Geek, we'll have space for 13 Million if cap goes up by 2 million.

Please explain, how can we keep everyone when Halak and Plekanec are going to likely cost us 8 to 9 Million if not more. That leaves a whopping 4-5 Million (or less!) for:

Replacing Moore, SK, Metro and signing Price, Lapierre, Pouliot and Pyatt ...

Put it in perspective - Ryan White will have a cap hit of 850 K next year if he makes the team..!

Sorry you FAIL with this statement.

Quote:

Then I say that if we want to improve the team, then we need to trade players, but not just for cap space, but to create roster spots.
"If we want to improve this team" ? Of course we want to improve this team! This is not an "IF" proposition, it's a necessity.

It's funny that the methods you propose to improve this team, or "Create roster spots", includes trading 5.5 Hamrlik, 3.8 Spacek and 3.5 AK. Why don't you create roster space with players who have lower cap hits?

The answer: You're trying to dump their salary and to replace it with players with better cap hit / production ratio via trade of FA signing.

Honestly, your post does not merit any more response because it's mostly mumbo jumbo wishy washy fluffy duffy BS.

PS: If Gomez is overpaid by 1 Million, does that mean Plekanec is worth at least 6.3 ? Or do you think Gomez > Plekanec? In any event, going to be fun to fit that into the cap

Old
05-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Please explain, how can we keep everyone when Halak and Plekanec are going to likely cost us 8 to 9 Million if not more.
I really don't see Gauthier signing Halak for anything close to 3-4M. In that sense, you're right, we won't be keeping everybody. But it's won't be a cap space issue - it will be an issue of not signing for long term a goalie who's not totally proven.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 01:13 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I really don't see Gauthier signing Halak for anything close to 3-4M. In that sense, you're right, we won't be keeping everybody. But it's won't be a cap space issue - it will be an issue of not signing for long term a goalie who's not totally proven.
I hope you are right, but I doubt that he'll sign a multi year deal for less. Maybe we can "force" him to a 1 year deal for under 3 million? But if we do that than he's gone for sure when he's ufa ... without the return we could get today.

My wish is for an offer sheet / trade of Halak and reap the benefits of his value and allocate resources to the rest of the team.

Flyers have proved you can get to the finals with a waiver quality goalie - surely this means Price long term is sufficient at the right "Price". But then again, we didn't draft Richards, Carter, Giroux, JvR etc...

Old
05-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I hope you are right, but I doubt that he'll sign a multi year deal for less. Maybe we can "force" him to a 1 year deal for under 3 million? But if we do that than he's gone for sure when he's ufa ... without the return we could get today.

My wish is for an offer sheet / trade of Halak and reap the benefits of his value and allocate resources to the rest of the team.

Flyers have proved you can get to the finals with a waiver quality goalie - surely this means Price long term is sufficient at the right "Price". But then again, we didn't draft Richards, Carter, Giroux, JvR etc...
I won't even bother to respond to what you said in the other post as you clearly have no pulse on the value of contracts for RFAs.

The approximates for having every player back (except Mara, MAB and BGL) is between 57,5 and 60,5 (from low to high estimate). The cap is gonna be close to 58,8.

But I shouldn't be surprised you can't stop for a second and think about it properly, as you seem the type to live in a world of absolutes (eg : Gomez contract the starting point stopping us from improving, Hammer and Spacek untradeable, overvalue of RFA contracts...). Keep seeing overated obstacles everywhere, the person with vision rather sees opportunities, and we are nothing close to being stuck.

You seem bitter about this thread. I don't even need to imagine why. sourgrapes. Expect some more in a few weeks from now. Habs will have a better team than they already have, as logic would have one of Hammer or Spacek leaving, no matter what the Habs said about Subban, they know he'll be a regular on the lineup next year, so that means one less spot to fill on the right, hence one lefty who has to go back on the left side and play 3rd pairing while he should play more minutes, and in that case, too costly, so the Habs could have to chose between Spacek and Hammer. Contrarily to the media-fabricated paradigm where we need to chose between Halak and Price, having to chose between the two left Ds is a priority and indeed this will leave us with a few million to spend, with the rest of the lineup already locked-up (all depending on what the Habs actually WANT to do, just speculating here).

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
habspinner

Quote:
I won't even bother to respond to what you said in the other post as you clearly have no pulse on the value of contracts for RFAs.

The approximates for having every player back (except Mara, MAB and BGL) is between 57,5 and 60,5 (from low to high estimate). The cap is gonna be close to 58,8.

But I shouldn't be surprised you can't stop for a second and think about it properly, as you seem the type to live in a world of absolutes (eg : Gomez contract the starting point stopping us from improving, Hammer and Spacek untradeable, overvalue of RFA contracts...). Keep seeing overated obstacles everywhere, the person with vision rather sees opportunities, and we are nothing close to being stuck.

You seem bitter about this thread. I don't even need to imagine why. sourgrapes. Expect some more in a few weeks from now. Habs will have a better team than they already have, as logic would have one of Hammer or Spacek leaving, no matter what the Habs said about Subban, they know he'll be a regular on the lineup next year, so that means one less spot to fill on the right, hence one lefty who has to go back on the left side and play 3rd pairing while he should play more minutes, and in that case, too costly, so the Habs could have to chose between Spacek and Hammer. Contrarily to the media-fabricated paradigm where we need to chose between Halak and Price, having to chose between the two left Ds is a priority and indeed this will leave us with a few million to spend, with the rest of the lineup already locked-up (all depending on what the Habs actually WANT to do, just speculating here).
If we have to choose between Spacek and Hammer it's going to be a tough decision if you place it solely on play on the ice. Both have extremely positive qualities on the ice. But I personally like how Spacek plays just a little bit more than Hammer, I find him slightly more cerebral - and maybe he gets a shot off next year on his correct side

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Gomez is overpaid by 1-1.5 million for 4 more years. And who are you targeting with "overpaying for a handful of other players" ? Camalleri ? Gionta ? Gill ? None of those can compare to Brian Campbell, Pronger or Huet or other front loaded monsters.

Speaking of dollars - how many did the Hawks and other American teams get through revenue sharing ? The Habs are giving money to Tampa Bay so that they can offer a 10 years contract to Lecavalier - frustrating isn't it ?

Basically - they paid no attention to the cap whatsoever - who cares if we have 45 million locked on 12 players or worse - we 'll just ask uncle Gary to raise the cap again...

Maybe the Habs benefit a little - but the Habs opponents will benefit a lot more from this "adjustment". That sucks.
Gomez is worth no more than $5.5 million and even that may be generous, and yes Gionta and Cammalleri were overpaid when signed; Cammalleri less so admittedly. Their productivity alleviated their lackluster salaries. Gill is still overpaid when you consider until this playoff run the majority were ready to kick him to the curb. Just because they are not to the extent of Campbell or Huet does not mean we did not overpay our players. We are still playing for the Laraque atrocity. Pronger, by the way, is not overpaid. He is arguably the second best defenseman in the league.

I am not denying American teams, specifically those on the lower edge of the spectrum are not benefiting significantly more so than Canadian teams. What I stated is from a business approach, the NHL could care less, so long as they earn a profit. Playing by the rules, so to speak, and allowing certain American teams like Chicago to flounder in salary cap hell would be a disaster for their profit margin.

In all honesty, Chicago knew in full certainty they would be moved to shift their roster around, hence the Hossa contract. They figured chancing the opportunity for a cup run with an over stacked roster would be worth the slight downturn thereafter. Thus far it has proven an effective method of success, regardless if you are in agreement with their management.

Nonetheless as previously mentioned. The world is dictated by the almighty dollar and the NHL has no interest in anything less than what provides them further profit. Habs are not a priority because we sell out every game. Gainey/Gauthier are more than capable now to take advantage of the NHL's generosity and spend to the cap. They have simply chosen not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Amazing how a strong Canadian dollar that only affects 6 teams can get the league to raise the cap by 60mill overall eh.

...and Gary wants to keep the Coyotes in Arizona instead of Winnipeg or Hamilton....smart business right there what a joke.
Sooner or later the NHL will figure out that the Canadian teams are the heart of and what really powers the NHL.
Too bad it will take a couple dozen or more boxes of crayons to finally explain it to 'em.
So long as Bettman is the Commissioner, Phoenix will never relocate to Canada, hell I would be overcome with astonishment if we ever witness a seventh Canadian team with him around. The man is a complete tool, lobbying for poor market American teams over anywhere else. I do not necessarily cite him anti-Canadian more than I do merely stubbornly incompetent. You have northern American markets that could provide a suitable home for a NHL team, no instead we have two teams in Florida.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:19 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Go read my post, I didn't contradict anything, you misread. It's clearly written. I start off by saying how we can KEEP everyone. Then I say that if we want to improve the team, then we need to trade players, but not just for cap space, but to create roster spots.

Salary dumps aren't exclusive to teams with cap problems, you create this little paradigm so there's no way around your sophistry.

I never said "DUMPING SALARY is KEY" You have very poor text analysis (or just plainly read what you want to take out). I said trades will be key (as I expect our solutions to be on both the FA and trade market. You transformed "trading players to create roster spots and cap space" to "salary dumps". You completely left out the most important part that I was suggesting, creating roster spots. I want to improve the D, yet we have 7 spots already filled. If one wants to add a D (on the FA market), one needs to trade a D.

Anyway, there's just no point in arguing with someone who believes a one contract year Hammer can't be traded, and evenmoreso a Spacek at 3,8 for two seasons is nothing stiffling for most teams, and there will be teams who will have those needs.

And to top it off, your comment about Gomez... you know very little about cap management and the cap era if you still believe a sole overpayment of a single player of about 1/1,5 mil can stiffle teams.

I hope you haven't dumped your placard with "the end is nigh" written on it, you'll need it next year before the next cap numbers come out.
Gomez is only overpaid by 1-1.5 million now? 6 Million per year for 13 goals is the going rate now? If Gomez was the sole over payment on this team you would be right, but he isn't.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:22 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
According to cap Geek, we'll have space for 13 Million if cap goes up by 2 million.

Please explain, how can we keep everyone when Halak and Plekanec are going to likely cost us 8 to 9 Million if not more. That leaves a whopping 4-5 Million (or less!) for:

Put it in perspective - Ryan White will have a cap hit of 850 K next year if he makes the team..!

"If we want to improve this team" ? Of course we want to improve this team! This is not an "IF" proposition, it's a necessity.

It's funny that the methods you propose to improve this team, or "Create roster spots", includes trading 5.5 Hamrlik, 3.8 Spacek and 3.5 AK. Why don't you create roster space with players who have lower cap hits?

The answer: You're trying to dump their salary and to replace it with players with better cap hit / production ratio via trade of FA signing.

Honestly, your post does not merit any more response because it's mostly mumbo jumbo wishy washy fluffy duffy BS.

PS: If Gomez is overpaid by 1 Million, does that mean Plekanec is worth at least 6.3 ? Or do you think Gomez > Plekanec? In any event, going to be fun to fit that into the cap
Agreed, he is all over the place. He only wants to create roster spots by trading 2 of the 3 worst contracts on the team.

Old
05-29-2010, 03:27 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Gomez is only overpaid by 1-1.5 million now? 6 Million per year for 13 goals is the going rate now? If Gomez was the sole over payment on this team you would be right, but he isn't.
Gomez is a 60-70 point center (with the odd 70+).

Is he worth 7.3 million? No, but he can easily get 5-6 million if he was a UFA this year.

You guys always say lets dump Gomez, but let me ask you something, who would replace him? Pouliot/Cammy aren't center's and there isn't many UFA centers on the market.

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Bieber fever

Rick Curran must be happy as ****.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:50 PM
guest1467

I have always enjoyed all the "cap doomsday" posters, who think that teams are going to crash and burn because they have a few bad contracts. Bottom line is that its very easy to shed salaries if you are creative in this league, and we still haven't seen a major team dismantle itself because its up against the cap.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 04:07 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I have no pulse on what exactly?

That Halak and his agent are seeking a long term deal? You want to hold an RFA hostage to a one year deal because his bargaining rights are low? Ya, great way to manage your assets at the benefit of squeezing him into the cap. Let's see where this kind of asset management goes at the end of next year when Halak is UFA.

Again, I don't know where you're going with this "I have no pulse for RFA value" thing.

Just another aimless attack by you I suppose.

Quote:
We have 13 Million in cap space right now according to capgeek. This does not include:
2 goalies,
Centers (Moore - Metro - Plekanec),
Pyatt and Lapierre (also potential centers),
Pouliot, SK (doubt he'll stay) and possibly 850 K White.

Am I missing anyone?

Please enlighten me with your numbers...

Quote:

But I shouldn't be surprised you can't stop for a second and think about it properly, as you seem the type to live in a world of absolutes (eg : Gomez contract the starting point stopping us from improving, Hammer and Spacek untradeable, overvalue of RFA contracts...).
I like Gomez but he's overpaid ... we all know this!

I wouldn't be so concerned if we had Subban-like prospects in the forward position.

But we do not.

When our FIRST line center Plekanec is seeking a nice pay increase too, will this make us a powerhouse up the middle? It'll cost us about 12.3 Million most likely ... I dunno about you boss, but I always dreamed of something a bit better at the center position - specifically if we are going to be legitimate cup contenders in the next 5 years.

As for Hammer and Spacek being tradeable - you seem so confident and sure that they are (without accepting a bad contract in return), so I will refrain from being the "downer" once again.

Quote:

You seem bitter about this thread. I don't even need to imagine why. sourgrapes.
More fluff by you - what am I bitter about? First post I made was this cap increase is going to help.

I'm just disagreeing with YOUR statement that we have enough cap space to keep everyone. You then go on to propose trades which coincidentally include some of our most expensive contracts - yet you refuse to claim it a salary cap dump nor do you address the feasibility of trading Hamrlik and Spacek.

Quote:
so the Habs could have to chose between Spacek and Hammer.
I've been saying this since December. Yet it's a lot easier for guys like us to talk than to have actually find an NHL GM to make this deal happen.

Quote:
having to chose between the two left Ds is a priority and indeed this will leave us with a few million to spend,
So you want to trade a D man, interestingly, you are taking the 2 with the worst contracts on the back end. But I believe you, this is not a salary dump

Old
05-29-2010, 04:53 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Gomez is a 60-70 point center (with the odd 70+).

Is he worth 7.3 million? No, but he can easily get 5-6 million if he was a UFA this year.

You guys always say lets dump Gomez, but let me ask you something, who would replace him? Pouliot/Cammy aren't center's and there isn't many UFA centers on the market.
He's lucky to hit 60. He isn't a 70 point anything.

Edit: I missed the odd 70 point season. I believe his 70point seasons are behind him, and there is no way he is worth 6million, not by any standards. 12 Goals isn't worth 6million ever.

Old
05-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

ok, let's replace Gomez. So we need a center who can play on a scoring line and be the playmaker for our snipers who are wingers. He also need to be a good two-way player, and he will be expected to play minutes on the PP and PK if necessary. He'll be expected to carry the puck in the opponent's zone (but that's a bit unfair, since Gomez is so good at it) And he'll have to do this against the other teams top lines (no more defensive third lines who play 20 minutes for the habs!)

Any suggestion? Because every time people bash on Gomez, they never are able to come up with any realistic other options. It's always the hypothetical magic of free cap space, and their wishful thinking. Gomez sucks until you actually understand how hard it is to found top centers who can bring what he bring for the habs.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
He's lucky to hit 60. He isn't a 70 point anything.

Edit: I missed the odd 70 point season. I believe his 70point seasons are behind him, and there is no way he is worth 6million, not by any standards. 12 Goals isn't worth 6million ever.
Gomez had 59 points in 78 games this year. He would have had 4 games to get one point, but you're right, he would be lucky to get 60.

He also managed to put up 59 points in 78 games despite playing with an injury for a good period of time earlier in the season.

Just like you an your "Gionta is nothing but a 20 goal scorer because ggp and ppg don't mean anything."

Also don't forget that he was playing with scrubs when Gionta went down for about 20 games and before we got Pouliot.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
ok, let's replace Gomez. So we need a center who can play on a scoring line and be the playmaker for our snipers who are wingers. He also need to be a good two-way player, and he will be expected to play minutes on the PP and PK if necessary. He'll be expected to carry the puck in the opponent's zone (but that's a bit unfair, since Gomez is so good at it) And he'll have to do this against the other teams top lines (no more defensive third lines who play 20 minutes for the habs!)

Any suggestion? Because every time people bash on Gomez, they never are able to come up with any realistic other options. It's always the hypothetical magic of free cap space, and their wishful thinking. Gomez sucks until you actually understand how hard it is to found top centers who can bring what he bring for the habs.
Dont waste your breath man. The alarmist have been trying to scare us all year long and they been wrong every single time. You would think that they would get tired of being wrong.

Old
05-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Andy

Back on the Scott Gomez is lucky to hit 60.

Over his career Gomez is averaging 67 points a season.

Now some will complain about his 84 point season that was an exception to the rule. So I removed that season and low and behold he averages 65 points a season. Gomez is a 60-70 point playmaking center.

Gomez has played 11 seasons in the nhl.

Seasons with under 60 points...4 seasons, but wait, of those 4 seasons, he never played an entire 82 games. And two of those seasons came earlier in his career.

Seasons under 65 points...6 seasons. However, in one of those seasons he had 60 points in 72 games and 63 in 76.

Old
05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Gomez is worth no more than $5.5 million and even that may be generous, and yes Gionta and Cammalleri were overpaid when signed; Cammalleri less so admittedly.
You're dead wrong.

6 million a year is not overpayment for a guy coming off an effin' 39 goal point per game season, heading into his prime, and with two out of his last three seasons being 30 goal ones.

Cammy is a bargain if anything. He's at least worth his cap hit.

Gionta is not overpaid either. Gionta is a proven playoff performer that is an above average Top Six forward. He's worth $5 million a season.

Gomez is the only one you're right on. Gomez is worth about $5.5 million going by production. So we're overpaying him by a couple million. It's not good but it's no big deal.

Quote:
Their productivity alleviated their lackluster salaries.
Their productivity was frankly predictable. That's why their salaries are not "lackluster". Cammy's salary is awesome for what he brings to the team. Gionta's is fair.

Quote:
Gill is still overpaid when you consider until this playoff run the majority were ready to kick him to the curb.
Gill makes 2.25 million a year. That's fairly standard for a guy like Gill that's an above average 3rd pairing D that can be a very effective shutdown D in the playoffs.

Gill is not overpaid at all.

He's getting pretty much what he should be getting.

Gomez and Hamrlik are the only guys on this team that are overpaid, and even Hamrlik was worth $5.5 million when we first signed him three years ago.

If there's one thing Gainey deserves a lot more credit for than what he gets it's in how he doesn't sign players to bad contracts. They're all fair (or even bargain) cap hits with a sensible contract length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Back on the Scott Gomez is lucky to hit 60.

Over his career Gomez is averaging 67 points a season.

Now some will complain about his 84 point season that was an exception to the rule. So I removed that season and low and behold he averages 65 points a season. Gomez is a 60-70 point playmaking center.

Gomez has played 11 seasons in the nhl.

Seasons with under 60 points...4 seasons, but wait, of those 4 seasons, he never played an entire 82 games. And two of those seasons came earlier in his career.

Seasons under 65 points...6 seasons. However, in one of those seasons he had 60 points in 72 games and 63 in 76.
Great points Koseegin.

On a separate note: Somebody implied that Spacek would be hard to move. That's a load of nonsense. Spacek isn't hard to move at all.

He's a solid Top 4 D that is consistently on the plus side of the plus/minus stat (Spacek hasn't been a minus since 2004). He also can provide a decent amount of offense, and great positional defense.

$3.83 million a year is perfectly reasonable for a guy that brings that to his team. His contract is not bad at all. In fact, this is why I'd rather us not trade him.

Trading Spacek to gain cap space would be the last imaginable resort, imo. But if we take that resort, there's no question that we can dump his contract. Teams would have to pay at least $3.8 million a year to get a Top 4 D of Spacek's caliber on the UFA market anyway. So dealing Spacek for a mid-round pick is definitely doable.

Edit: People here seem to think that if a guy is making 4 million or more a season that he's automatically overpaid cap-wise. People here also seem to think that veteran defenseman that can dependably play a solid 20 plus minutes a game grow on trees, and that 30 goal scorers entering their prime aren't worth much.

The truly delusional people aren't Gainey's supporters; it's the guys with these incredibly unrealistic notions of what's fair money value for certain types of players in the modern NHL.

Your average, solid Top 4 D makes between 3 and 4 million a year. Some more than 4.

Your 30 goal scorers in the primes of their career make at least 6 million, if not more.

Your proven veteran shutdown D that were key components of freakin' Cup winners are worth at least 2 million a year.

Last edited by Darth Joker: 05-29-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:46 PM
TankEller*

Quote:

Keeping everybody isn't a scenario I'm hoping for, anyway. We have great elements, but we clearly need some big bodies and more rugged players on the bottom-6. And at some point, guys like one goalie and both brothers have to be dangled around.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote