HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

E-Reader

Old
05-29-2010, 02:28 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
E-Reader

Do you have one? Do you like it? Any regrets? Has it completely replaced "real" books for you?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:01 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Do you have one? Do you like it? Any regrets? Has it completely replaced "real" books for you?
I have a Nook. It's a nice device.

If you get one definitely get one that has an eInk display (i.e. not an iPad). eInk looks great - similar to a real printed page. No issues with glare, and you can read it in direct sunlight. And eInk had low power consumption, meaning that it can go for a week or longer without needing to recharge.

One of the things I like about the Nook is that it supports ePub, which is an open standard for eBook file format. I've downloaded tons of free ePub-format public domain works from Project Gutenberg. My understanding is that the Kindle doesn't support ePub format. Also, I like that the Nook doesn't devote tons of real estate to a superfluous keyboard the way the Kindle does. I don't think eReaders should need a keyboard.

Haven't replaced real books, simply because I had so many books on the shelf already that I've been meaning to read. But in the future, if I want to buy a book and am given the choice between ink and paper and eBook format, I might be more likely to choose the latter.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:25 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I have a Nook. It's a nice device.

If you get one definitely get one that has an eInk display (i.e. not an iPad). eInk looks great - similar to a real printed page. No issues with glare, and you can read it in direct sunlight. And eInk had low power consumption, meaning that it can go for a week or longer without needing to recharge.

One of the things I like about the Nook is that it supports ePub, which is an open standard for eBook file format. I've downloaded tons of free ePub-format public domain works from Project Gutenberg. My understanding is that the Kindle doesn't support ePub format. Also, I like that the Nook doesn't devote tons of real estate to a superfluous keyboard the way the Kindle does. I don't think eReaders should need a keyboard.

Haven't replaced real books, simply because I had so many books on the shelf already that I've been meaning to read. But in the future, if I want to buy a book and am given the choice between ink and paper and eBook format, I might be more likely to choose the latter.
What is the longest you have read at it at one time? It just seems like something that might be a bit strange to get used to after holding a real book for so many years.

Old
05-29-2010, 03:40 PM
MayDay

Quote:
What is the longest you have read at it at one time? It just seems like something that might be a bit strange to get used to after holding a real book for so many years.
You can read on it for hours at a time without getting eye strain.

It's not at all like looking at a backlit LCD display.

Old
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
invictus

Quote:
You can read on it for hours at a time without getting eye strain.

It's not at all like looking at a backlit LCD display.
I didn't mean for eye strain, I just meant for.....holding it. It just seems so different. But I guess after a couple pages, you likely don't even notice.

Old
05-29-2010, 09:47 PM
MayDay

Quote:
I didn't mean for eye strain, I just meant for.....holding it. It just seems so different. But I guess after a couple pages, you likely don't even notice.
It's as light as a paperback.

Plus I have a fold-open leather case for it so that it has even more similar form factor to an actual book.

Old
05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
invictus

Quote:
It's as light as a paperback.

Plus I have a fold-open leather case for it so that it has even more similar form factor to an actual book.
Nice. I was just at Borders and messed with the one they have. I might consider getting the Kobo when it comes out if reviews are good. $149 is a pretty nice price point.