HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers get blueliner Niemi from Isles

Old
05-25-2010, 11:07 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
He's got a rocket shot and decent size, his health issues are a huge concern (will his skating improve even with the injuries? What's up with his wrists, and has that injury affected his shot?) but there are usually questions surrounding 6th rounders anyway.

At the end of the day, nothing to see here really.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:07 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
think about this on draft day

6th round

NY Islanders (from NYR)..........................???????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
think about this on draft day

6th round

NY Islanders (from NYR)..........................???????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????
Latest NYR 6th round picks:
Daniel Maggio, Mitch Gaulton, Carl Hagelin, Eric Hunter, Greg Beller, Jordan Foote, Ivan Dornic, Phillip Furrer, Chris Holt, Jake Taylor, Kim Hirschovits

A grand total of 2 NHL games played, both being Holt.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
Daniel Maggio, Mitch Gaulton, Carl Hagelin, Eric Hunter, Greg Beller, Jordan Foote, Ivan Dornic, Phillip Furrer, Chris Holt, Jake Taylor, Kim Hirschovits

Yeah, I'm not crying over the loss of a 6th round pick. It's pretty slim pickings at that point.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:38 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I think the most shocking news here is we made a deal with the islanders

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:41 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post

I wouldn't be down and out over Maggio and Hagelin...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Procrastinator

rangerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
been on these boards for 10+. never post until im thankfull. im thankfull.

Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:06 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
been on these boards for 10+. never post until im thankfull. im thankfull.
"This has been a great day for me," Niemi said in a phone interview from Finland on Tuesday night. "This is something that I've been looking forward to for years -- to get a chance to be part of an NHL organization, and I couldn't be more happy right now. I'm just looking forward to joining the team and meeting all the guys.

An excerpt from that article... There is no way to see this trade as a loss/bad/wash as a Ranger fan, we are either getting something for nothing, or nothing for nothing that can atleast give us organizational depth.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 12:50 AM
LetsGoIslanders

As an Isles fan who lauded this pick when it occurred, Niemi has been nothing but sheer disappointment. He has a booming slapshot, but little else. His defensive play is terrible, and his offensive numbers are nothing that you would want for a legit prospect. He also managed to pick up an "impressive" +9 on a dominating Saskatoon team this season.

The fact that the Isles grabbed a pick for Jyri Niemi is awesome... for the Islanders.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Granted I've only seen him play on tv/stream a few games from the WJC and have to rely on some Finns who've seen him play more etc. At this year's WJC, either his shot was scouted or the coaching staff failed to utilize him but he was almost invisible on the PP. Well, apart from a couple of turnovers on the blueline that got you thinking "so that's why we don't play him on the PP...". Also it seemed like his wind up on the slapshot is rather slow. I think he scored one goal at the WJC, when he finally got a shot on goal, though that might have been wrister. Probably due to injuries isn't the fastest skater out there. He had been working with Rauma Lukko this Spring and there were rumours he was going to sign with them. I have a feeling that you guys may end up thinking Ilkka Heikkinen was better... Maybe some other Finns could give more info on him.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:40 AM
darko

Meh, pickings are slim come 6th round. Might as well take a shot on this kid. No complaints what so ever from me.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jyri Niemi quotes

Quote:
"I kind of knew that it was coming," Niemi said Tuesday via telephone from his home in Hameenkyro, Finland. "My agent phoned me (Monday) and told me that they came to an agreement with the Rangers about the contract.

"I couldn't be happier. It's been a great day."
Quote:
"I spoke with (Rangers general manager) Glen Sather," said Niemi. "He told me that their scouts are happy about the way I've been playing and they wanted to get me."

A Russian team, the St. Petersburg Soldiers, also courted Niemi. They drafted him in the second round of last year's Kontinental Hockey League draft. His first priority, though, was to turn pro in North America.

"That was my plan when I first came to the WHL," said Niemi. "If I got a chance to play in North America, that's what I wanted to do. After playing three years of junior, I still wanted to keep playing there so it was a pretty easy decision for me to make."
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...465/story.html

6th round pick?Where is the problem?

Did Niemi ask about McD and MZA because nobody else has been able to get Slats on the phone?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:26 AM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Granted I've only seen him play on tv/stream a few games from the WJC and have to rely on some Finns who've seen him play more etc. At this year's WJC, either his shot was scouted or the coaching staff failed to utilize him but he was almost invisible on the PP. Well, apart from a couple of turnovers on the blueline that got you thinking "so that's why we don't play him on the PP...". Also it seemed like his wind up on the slapshot is rather slow. I think he scored one goal at the WJC, when he finally got a shot on goal, though that might have been wrister. Probably due to injuries isn't the fastest skater out there. He had been working with Rauma Lukko this Spring and there were rumours he was going to sign with them. I have a feeling that you guys may end up thinking Ilkka Heikkinen was better... Maybe some other Finns could give more info on him.
Actually, he got 3G and 2A during the World Junior Tournament which tied him for second amongst D-men...I was at the WJ Tourney and I was reasonably impressed with him (and with the Finns generally...small but scrappy and determined). His years in S'toon yielded 95 pts in 159 games...which is okay...not spectacular, but okay. He's likely far more of a potential Ranger than most of the guys who would be available come round six...I gotta think this is a generally good move by Slats.

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
exactly my thoughts. we had beer last year and didnt use him. he got pissed and split.

by all accounts, beer was the most nhl ready dman we had in hartford and he deserved better from slats and co.

this guy isnt half the total player beer was. hes been a bust and now hes our bust. didnt cost us much but when he looks like a dope, that will be the excuse. "didnt cost us much".

nothing more than hartford fodder. this years beer.

if he ever plays a game for us ill be surprised.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
seems like a low risk move. can't complain about dealing a low round pick for a young guy with upside. i do wonder if Niemi has simply been unlucky or has durability issues.

Klass is a year and a half older and wasn't that much better. I will take Niemi over Klass any day.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Just from reading this thread it sounds like a good deal.

My favorite snippet of this thread:

"His shot was clocked at 97 MPH 2 years ago."
... and thus, he might as well be that knucklepuck kid from the Mighty Ducks 2.

Isles:
1. have too many prospects they'd rather sign (I believe the CBA max is 50)
2. they don't think highly of him

I've heard his decision making is horrible (not good for a dman) and even his offensive production has been weak. The later is one facet that has to be there for a player w/a 100mph shot.

Either way, he was going back into the drafts so if the NYR earmarked him, let's say as a 5th round pick, well, then, it's a good deal for them.

Good deal from the Isles in terms of getting something rather than nothing.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:05 PM
islanderfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Defensive play I know was a knock. Now I think its health issues.
He's a bigger version of Marc-Andre Bergeron. Wicked slap shot, not much else. not a "defense"man

islanderfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

And the Islanders' 6th round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft is.... (name).

...7 years later...

(name) reaches his 3rd consecutive 50-goal season!

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
whos this guy saying that he didnt want to sign with the islanders? thats false. katie strang, a legit source being the islanders beat writer stated that the islanders didnt want to sign him

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post

...7 years later...

in the ECHL ......

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:48 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post

...7 years later...

I'm sure the Rangers would have passed on that guy.

This trade is a no-brainer!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 09:41 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
exactly my thoughts. we had beer last year and didnt use him. he got pissed and split.

by all accounts, beer was the most nhl ready dman we had in hartford and he deserved better from slats and co.

this guy isnt half the total player beer was. hes been a bust and now hes our bust. didnt cost us much but when he looks like a dope, that will be the excuse. "didnt cost us much".

nothing more than hartford fodder. this years beer.

if he ever plays a game for us ill be surprised.
He was more NHL ready than Gilroy and actually used his body. I'm still baffled that he didn't get to stay up here during that 9 game stretch he played last year and Gilroy didn't get sent down.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 04:14 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Not really sure why NYI would do this, but whatever. Another one of these low risk moves that could have some nice upside, like getting Nigel Williams last year around this time (or at least during the offseason). Doubtful the pick would turn into anything, and there is the possibility that this guy could.

If this trade was for a 25 year old journeyman, it'd make no sense, but for a guy who is 20, has a 97MPH slapshot, and has some potential, definitely not a bad deal.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Not terribly dissapointed aboput Niemi at all. There actually was a lot of buzz around him and his "booming" shot on his draft year. From the sounds of other posters he hasen't developed the rest of his game. I haven't seen him play yet so I won't pretend to know just where his game is.

For the Rangers I belive they are now down 2 picks from this draft. I believe 3rd round and now 6th round as well...Can anyone verify that?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

you know Henrik Lundqvist WAS drafted in the 7th round

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote