HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Salary Cap To Go Up By $2 Million

Old
05-30-2010, 12:11 AM
HockeyGuy1985*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
imho, the bad part about this extra 2 mil is that NJ is now going to be real aggressive in keeping kovy there....which, imho, is a worst case scenario for us.

Tavares, Kovalchuk, Parise, Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Richards....our division is going to be a nightmare for the next decade.

Gaborik? the second leading scorer of the aforementioned bunch?

I thought that was a given. I guess not. Surprisingly.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:42 AM
jeanverville

jeanverville THIS IS IT !!!

2010-11 NEW YORK RANGERS

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING

Brandon Dubinsky($1.9m) * Sharp ($4.2m) Marian Gaborik ($7.5m)
Sean Avery ($1.9m) Artem Anisimov ($0.8m) Evgeny Grachev ($0.9m)
Dale Weise ($0.7m) Chris Drury ($7.0m) Ryan Callahan ($2.3m)
* Jody Shelley ($0.9m) * CHRISTENSON ($1.2m) * Brandon Prust ($0.8m)
hwp Donald Brashear ($1.4m)cap hit * ZuccareloAasen ($0.9m)

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE

* Marc Staal ($3.6m) * Volchenkov ($5.1m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.1m) * Daniel Girardi($2.8m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.8m) * BOUILLON ($1.2m)

GOALTENDERS

Henrik Lundqvist ($6.9m)
* Hedberg ($1.3m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.206m; CAP ROOM: $1.149m BONUSES: $0.555m[/QUOTE]

jeanverville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Gaborik? the second leading scorer of the aforementioned bunch?

I thought that was a given. I guess not. Surprisingly.
gaborik is not on one of the other teams...hes on ours. im talking strictly about our competition.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:17 AM
HockeyGuy1985*

Ah ok.

Well, still, you can still guarantee Kovalchuk not being there.

Old
05-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Ah ok.

Well, still, you can still guarantee Kovalchuk not being there.
i dont think so....i think its probably 40% Kings, 35% Devils, and 25% some other team....so for him to come to us is a long shot at best, i think hes far more likely to go to the Devils...which SUCKS for us

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:48 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
im over it.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:50 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanverville View Post
THIS IS IT !!!

2010-11 NEW YORK RANGERS

LEFT WING CENTER RIGHT WING

Brandon Dubinsky($1.9m) * Sharp ($4.2m) Marian Gaborik ($7.5m)
Sean Avery ($1.9m) Artem Anisimov ($0.8m) Evgeny Grachev ($0.9m)
Dale Weise ($0.7m) Chris Drury ($7.0m) Ryan Callahan ($2.3m)
* Jody Shelley ($0.9m) * Christenson/Stepan ($1.2m) * Brandon Prust ($0.8m)
hwp Donald Brashear ($1.4m)cap hit * ZuccareloAasen ($0.9m)

LEFT DEFENSE RIGHT DEFENSE

* Marc Staal ($3.6m) * Volchenkov ($5.1m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.1m) * Daniel Girardi($2.8m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.8m) * Bouillon/McDonagh ($1.2m)

GOALTENDERS

Henrik Lundqvist ($6.9m)
* Hedberg ($1.3m)

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.206m; CAP ROOM: $1.149m BONUSES: $0.555m
I like how Wade Redden and Michal Roszival just magically disappear. Hate to break it to you, but 11.5 million between two players doesn't just evaporate.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Ola

My team for next year, "NYR style";

Moves
1. Sign Kovalchuk for 9.095m USD and 8-10 years. 10K more then what AO is making.
2. Trade Anisimov, Gilroy, Rozsival and two 1st for Vincent AKA "Vinny the Cowboy" LeCavalier.
3. Resign Prospal for 2.5m per.
4. Dump Redden, its warrented.
5. Resign Anders "Warrior" Eriksson

Grachev (0.9m)-Prospal (2.5m)-Gaborik (7.5m)//Grachev could concentrate on his strengths -- his play along the boards. Don't worry, Prospal would make it work; thats what we are paying him for. Everything would center around Gabby anyway on this line.
Kovalchuk (9.095m)-Stephan (0.9m)-Dubinsky (1.9m)//Kovalchuk would be the shooter. Stephan the playmaker. Dubinsky as a natural center would be of big assistance for Stephan. Both Kova and Dubi are good at going deep and taking the puck up ice, there would be zero problem having a unexperienced center on this line.
Drury (7.05m)-LeCavalier (7.7m)-MZA (0.9m)//LeCavalier is very good on faceoffs and pretty strong defensively. So is Drury. This line would be awesome to put out there late in games et c. MZA takes MSLs role as running shootgun for Vinny.
Avery (1.9m)-Callahan (2.3m)-Shelley (.7m)//This line would be a asset for sure.

The plot: Four very well balanced lines to take some heat of our D's. We could hammer any team for 60 minutes.

Staal (3.5m)-Sanguinetti (0.85m)//Are you kidding me? Of course Sangs can play in 20 minutes a night in this role.
MDZ (1.087m)-Girardi (1.5m)//OK D pairing.
McDonaugh (.9m)-Eriksson (.5m)//I am sure McD could handle a 6th D role.

Henrik "King" Lundqvist (6.875m)
CJ

PP unit (We might as well call it the nr 1 PP unit in the league right away.):
Drury-Gabby//Would work down low.
Kovalchuk-MDZ-LeCavalier//The threesome in the umbrella. Some firepower Id say.

Payroll: It would work.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:47 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
You realize the only change in that D core is Redden for McDonagh. You think the difference between those two players is going to result in a difference of a whole goal against per game added against the rangers, from a team this year that had one of the lower goals against/game in the league?

we might add 10-15 goals against all year.

edit; oh someone already beat me to it.
You actually think the defense was good this year? You think Rozy will be any better this year? Gerardi will be overpaid as an average defenseman. If not for Lunqvist this team would be one of the worst GAA in the league. From November to March this team was the 2nd worst team in the league!!!!!!!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:56 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
You actually think the defense was good this year? You think Rozy will be any better this year? Gerardi will be overpaid as an average defenseman. If not for Lunqvist this team would be one of the worst GAA in the league. From November to March this team was the 2nd worst team in the league!!!!!!!
This team was top-10 in GA/G (2.61).

The defense was not the problem (largely because of Lundqvist), and even if you bring in better defenseman, you're only going to improve our GA/G marginally.

Fix what's broken, not what's top-10 in the NHL.

EDIT: You're right that they sucked for a large part of the season, but that wasn't because they couldn't keep the puck out of the net, it was because they couldn't put the puck into the net.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 07:03 AM
bubba5

So what are you saying, let keep a garbage 6 man-d because we have Lungvist? Let wear him out again so that he can have nothing left again after April (if they get past April).

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 07:09 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
So what are you saying, let keep a garbage 6 man-d because we have Lungvist? Let wear him out again so that he can have nothing left again after April (if they get past April).

I'm saying if you want to make this team better, you look to fix the offense, not the defense.

Lundqvist wore out because we had to play him for 73 games (plus the Olympics) because we couldn't score enough goals to collect points in the numerous games Lundqvist gave up two or less goals.

Score more goals, collect more points, and you can play your backup more often, because the whole last part of the season won't be do or die.

If we had limitless resources, of course I'd want the defense improved. We don't. Making a major investment in a top-10 GA/G team when your secondary scoring is non-existent makes absolutely no sense in a cap world.

Last edited by azrok22: 05-30-2010 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Changed word from fixed to improved.
azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 07:45 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Moves
1. Sign Kovalchuk for 9.095m USD and 8-10 years. 10K more then what AO is making.
2. Trade Anisimov, Gilroy, Rozsival and two 1st for Vincent AKA "Vinny the Cowboy" LeCavalier.

Grachev (0.9m)-Prospal (2.5m)-Gaborik (7.5m)//Grachev could concentrate on his strengths -- his play along the boards. Don't worry, Prospal would make it work; thats what we are paying him for. Everything would center around Gabby anyway on this line.
Kovalchuk (9.095m)-Stephan (0.9m)-Dubinsky (1.9m)//Kovalchuk would be the shooter. Stephan the playmaker. Dubinsky as a natural center would be of big assistance for Stephan. Both Kova and Dubi are good at going deep and taking the puck up ice, there would be zero problem having a unexperienced center on this line.
Drury (7.05m)-LeCavalier (7.7m)-MZA (0.9m)//LeCavalier is very good on faceoffs and pretty strong defensively. So is Drury. This line would be awesome to put out there late in games et c. MZA takes MSLs role as running shootgun for Vinny.
Avery (1.9m)-Callahan (2.3m)-Shelley (.7m)//This line would be a asset for sure.

The plot: Four very well balanced lines to take some heat of our D's. We could hammer any team for 60 minutes.

Staal (3.5m)-Sanguinetti (0.85m)//Are you kidding me? Of course Sangs can play in 20 minutes a night in this role.

CJ

I know its NYR style, but no to Vinny, Kovy

Yes to dumping Redden.

If the Cap goes up by 2 Million, I would definitly take a run @ Plekanec. Although he would be overpaid, I would get him. He would fit well with Gabby. But no more than 3 years for him or Pass.

What makes you think Grachev will be ready? I hope he is but he did nothing @ Hartford to justify that.

2.5 mill way to much for Prospal. He is not even skating yet. May be damaged goods.

I would bring back Erickson for the minimum. I do think we should have a 7th defenseman.

One thing I might do is Rozy for Alex Kovalev. Even if Kovalev sucks, he only has one year left on his contract, where Rozy has two. It would be a good cap dump for 2011-12.

Redden is untradable. I think that he would cost too much money against the cap to buy out. I think he has to be dumped in Hartford for two years. Redden gets paid 10 million dollars over his last two years. He should be bought out then. It would be a cap hit of 1.67 million dollars over 4 years.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 08:36 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Moves

CJ

No, it wouldn't. If my math is right, that roster would be over 59 mil and it doesn't include any spare players. It doesn't include Brashear. And good luck re-signing Dubi and Cally next year. That defense is just awful. 2 rookies, a 2nd year player and an old #6/7

The cap going up 2 mil isn't going to change anything for us. We aren't signing Kovy. We aren't trading for Lecavalier.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:38 AM
jeanverville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
I like how Wade Redden and Michal Roszival just magically disappear. Hate to break it to you, but 11.5 million between two players doesn't just evaporate.
Redden - hwp
Rozsival- trade for 6th rounder

jeanverville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Some of you folks are criminally insane. Our D is going to be ok next season, everybody calm down.

Ola, that was fun to read but entirely impractical. And we'd better be keeping Christensen.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont think so....i think its probably 40% Kings, 35% Devils, and 25% some other team....so for him to come to us is a long shot at best, i think hes far more likely to go to the Devils...which SUCKS for us
Devils resigning Kovalchuk puts them in cap hell when they already have adequate depth on LW. Elias plays his best on the left, not at center. Devils fans are acknowledging this on their board. Parise's contract has a couple of more years on it. He will get a big raise. Devil's major concern is center. Look for them to go hard after Marleau or Plekanec.

LA going after Marleau makes more sense than Kovalchuk. Strengthen your team at the expense of your Cali rival. Kings can probably get him at a more decent cap hit than Kovy, as well. I also expect the Kings to show more restraint than the Rangers when a bidding war starts for Kovy.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No, it wouldn't. If my math is right, that roster would be over 59 mil and it doesn't include any spare players. It doesn't include Brashear. And good luck re-signing Dubi and Cally next year. That defense is just awful. 2 rookies, a 2nd year player and an old #6/7

The cap going up 2 mil isn't going to change anything for us. We aren't signing Kovy. We aren't trading for Lecavalier.
Hehe, you did the math? I had to go in the middle of my writing and never had time to add up the numbers. But its close and could probably be done. Like dump Prospal and bring in Christensen and wed have room.

I was only half serious with that roster, the serious part of me were saying that if you can get a good player you do that. And that if you are going to develop kids properly -- you do it by playing with great players. On that team I picked up two very good, in their prime, players. I also put three kids is really good positions to develop in.

On the blueline? Of course it would be weak. But it could move the puck well enough. And I think that if you have a blueline that can do that, a long with depth up front and a great goaltender -- you would be fine. These days you need to have weak parts on a team. And its not a team that would have to win it next year, wed have 4 stars who had atleast 5-6 years on them.

The cap next season? Just speculating, but it could go up another 4-5 mil. The year after that it could go up 4-5 mil -- and Chris Drury would be off the books. Then we would have that same core, in their prime -- and another 12m to spend.

Is the roster in touch with reality? Nope...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:25 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Lundqvist is worn out not because of his defense, its because of the offense.

How many one goal games does he have to play in for us to have a chance?

Its called goal support, which last time I checked, was offense. If Lundqvist was on a team that gave him a 2-3 goal cushion for more than just 1/4 of the year, he wouldnt nearly be as worn out.

Thus, you fix the offense.

Old
05-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I know its NYR style, but no to Vinny, Kovy

Yes to dumping Redden.

If the Cap goes up by 2 Million, I would definitly take a run @ Plekanec. Although he would be overpaid, I would get him. He would fit well with Gabby. But no more than 3 years for him or Pass.

What makes you think Grachev will be ready? I hope he is but he did nothing @ Hartford to justify that.

2.5 mill way to much for Prospal. He is not even skating yet. May be damaged goods.

I would bring back Erickson for the minimum. I do think we should have a 7th defenseman.

One thing I might do is Rozy for Alex Kovalev. Even if Kovalev sucks, he only has one year left on his contract, where Rozy has two. It would be a good cap dump for 2011-12.

Redden is untradable. I think that he would cost too much money against the cap to buy out. I think he has to be dumped in Hartford for two years. Redden gets paid 10 million dollars over his last two years. He should be bought out then. It would be a cap hit of 1.67 million dollars over 4 years.
I cant understand, at all, why people are so ready to bypass a future first ballot hall of famer in Kovalchuk and willing to make a run at yet another overpaid mistake in Tomas Plekanec.

If youre going to dump Redden to make room for Kovalchuk fine. If youre going to dump Redden to pocket the capspace, fine. But please, for the love of God, DO NOT get rid of Redden just to sign a Plekanec/Marleau.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:42 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I cant understand, at all, why people are so ready to bypass a future first ballot hall of famer in Kovalchuk and willing to make a run at yet another overpaid mistake in Tomas Plekanec.

If youre going to dump Redden to make room for Kovalchuk fine. If youre going to dump Redden to pocket the capspace, fine. But please, for the love of God, DO NOT get rid of Redden just to sign a Plekanec/Marleau.
For a guy who has won nothing of importance and if he's not scoring goals hes not contributing i think that is the overstatement of the century

we need depth. one player is not depth.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Dubinsky, Callahan, Avery, Prust, Girardi

those are "depth" players

we need top end scoring. Get Kovalchuk it knocks players down to their correct role and our depth kicks in, rather than signing more "depth" and have our current "depth" continue to play first line and first pairing.

Old
05-30-2010, 03:56 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Dubinsky, Callahan, Avery, Prust, Girardi

those are "depth" players

we need top end scoring. Get Kovalchuk it knocks players down to their correct role and our depth kicks in, rather than signing more "depth" and have our current "depth" continue to play first line and first pairing.
We have top end scoring in Gaborik. We need multiple players who can score 20 or more goals to complement that.
Look at the two teams in the cup finals right now. Not a one has a 40 goal scorer on, but 3 lines with multiple 20+ goal scorers on it.

Old
05-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Neither team has goaltending either, doesn't mean we should trade Henrik for Sharp, Huet, and Byfuglein.

Pittsburgh had Crosby and Malkin, Detroit had Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I hate that justification but honestly, getting Kovalchuk and filling the rest gives this roster the best chance to be competitve over the next 5 years than signing mediocre UFAs and keeping Redden.

Old
05-30-2010, 04:15 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Neither team has goaltending either, doesn't mean we should trade Henrik for Sharp, Huet, and Byfuglein.

Pittsburgh had Crosby and Malkin, Detroit had Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I hate that justification but honestly, getting Kovalchuk and filling the rest gives this roster the best chance to be competitve over the next 5 years than signing mediocre UFAs and keeping Redden.
Not sure what that goaltending comment has to do with anything. If anything it just proves that having 3 balanced scoring lines and a strong defense can get a team to the finals even without goaltending. We dont have either and we wont be able to fill those holes when we need to because of cap problems.

Im not advocating signing mediocre UFAs at all. I'm advocating staying the course, letting kids develop and not making moves that are gonna cost us down the line when we realize that the only thing this player does for 9 million dollars is score goals in the regular season and thats it. no defense. bad attitude. not a winner.

it's shortsightedness at its best.