HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Stanley Cup Finals - Game 1: Flyers @ Blackhawks - May 29, 2010 - 8:00 P.M. (ET)

Old
05-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
The fans in the United Center were terrible IMO. You're in the CUP FINALS, except when they scored, the place was completely silent. Even after they won, it wasn't even loud.
Oh, I see.
Were you there?

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:21 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan84 View Post
Oh, I see.
Were you there?
No, but I do have ears. From the NBC feed, I could hear pucks hitting guys' sticks. It was quiet from what I heard. From guys who were there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The CBC guys said it was quiet tonight, definitely not what they were expecting.

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 05-30-2010 at 11:27 AM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:24 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Guys need to have their heads on a swivel when they're in front of the net, especially the centers. The coverage was there, we had 3 guys in front of the net but they were all either covering one guy or staring at the puck(Giroux). Need to communicate better and know who has who in front of the net, and make sure there is somebody on every Chicago body within the shooting zone.

Old
05-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
No, but I do have ears.
Are you that ignorant?
Do you really think that television networks allow all crowd sound to be heard by the viewing audience? Have you never heard the term "muting" thrown out there?
Just an example - you can't hear Jim Cornelison's voice during the national anthem if you're in the crowd. However, on TV, you can hear him fairly well.

Game 3 in Philly (also on NBC) will likely sound the exact same.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:32 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Guys need to have their heads on a swivel when they're in front of the net, especially the centers. The coverage was there, we had 3 guys in front of the net but they were all either covering one guy or staring at the puck(Giroux). Need to communicate better and know who has who in front of the net, and make sure there is somebody on every Chicago body within the shooting zone.
Oh, didn't you know, apparently he has the best defensive instincts on the team behind Richards?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:40 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Oh, didn't you know, apparently he has the best defensive instincts on the team behind Richards?
Oh, definitely. Carter, Gagne, and Betts are overrated.

Old
05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Oh, definitely. Carter, Gagne, and Betts are overrated.
Heh, I really do hope we can move Carter back to C, this isn't the last time that line is going to fail.

Old
05-30-2010, 12:17 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Heh, I really do hope we can move Carter back to C, this isn't the last time that line is going to fail.
Eventually JVR and Giroux will be adequate defensively, but they aren't close yet

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:30 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I'd be all for sitting JvR for Carcillo, kid hasn't been able to adapt to the playoff tempo much in this post season
Wow.

He's was one of our better players at times in the playoffs. He's young and on our 3rd line. Lets relax a bit.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:31 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Eventually JVR and Giroux will be adequate defensively, but they aren't close yet
Yeah and Asham is bad defensively too. JVR especially has the tools and instincts, but he needs to start being more assertive, been a lot of times this year when he's a step or two behind the guy that scores.

Old
05-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Are you that ignorant?
Do you really think that television networks allow all crowd sound to be heard by the viewing audience? Have you never heard the term "muting" thrown out there?
Just an example - you can't hear Jim Cornelison's voice during the national anthem if you're in the crowd. However, on TV, you can hear him fairly well.

Are you really that upset at the only information a poster had to go on and has used to cite his point on his own team's board? I think any qualm to be had is in the form of an angry, red ink letter to NBC officials, so worst case scenario is they know they're ****ing up the sound. It did sound quiet last night, particularly in between goals. It's not our fault to perceive it that way when that's how it's presented. Go away.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:45 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Wow.

He's was one of our better players at times in the playoffs. He's young and on our 3rd line. Lets relax a bit.
This is JVR's first playoff run, and I think most would agree he is not even close to one of our better players thus far. No knock against him, i'm sure he'll be huge in the future.

Carcillo I would argue has been more a factor these playoffs than JVR. I honestly don't think his opinion is that far out there. I also think you'd be presuming far too much to say Carcillo couldn't play a larger role at this point than JVR. It's something you cannot predict. The "he's young" argument at this point I could care less about, i'm more concerned with winning than coddling a young player's mental state. We haven't been to this stage in a long time.

Though, this is all assuming Carcillo came back hungry but level headed and didn't put us in the box. If Carcillo plays his game well, he's a great agitator who can get some chippy goals from time to time. We could use more powerplays.

Last edited by decadentia: 05-30-2010 at 12:53 PM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Are you that ignorant?

There`s probably many Hawks fans on your own board that wholeheartedly agree ith you. Why not go over and talk to them about it.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
^^^ there is a reason why I stay off the main boards for the most part and never venture into other teams boards. Nobody cares what you think if you're a fan of the other team.
So what happens when Carcillo takes a bad penalty, leads to a Chicago goal and Lavy nails his ass to the bench for the rest of the game? Kind of like what we saw with Eager who didnt play from mid first to sometime in the 3rd after his dumbass penalty.
Adjustments need to be made, but I dont think putting in Carcillo at this point is the right call over JVR.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 05-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:03 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
^^^ there is a reason why I stay off the main boards for the most part and never venture into other teams boards. Nobody cares what you think if you're a fan of the other team.
So what happens when Carcillo takes a bad penalty, leads to a Chicago goal and Lavy nails his ass to the bench for the rest of the game? Kind of like what we saw with Eager who didnt play from mid first to sometime in the 3rd after his dumbass penalty.
Adjustments need to be made, but I dont think putting in Carcillo at this point is the right call over JVR.
History will be made?

How do you honestly expect anyone to argue with your prediction of the future. There's no way to accurately know if it's the right choice, it is however plausible considering JVR would be the likely candidate to sit. That being said, I don't think JVR/Carcillo are going to be the catalyst towards winning/losing this series.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

For some reason... I still feel hurt...

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:37 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
For some reason... I still feel hurt...
It's going to nag me until 7:45 Monday.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:47 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
It's going to nag me until 7:45 Monday.
I pretty much threw the controller on the floor last night and haven't touched this forum until now... because I feel... ugh...

Old
05-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I really like our lineup, especially the 4th line during the regular season. But having a gritty, defensive 3rd line C would be awesome.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I guess the only comforting feeling I have for this series is that the Flyers lost their first game by 1 goal when they won the cup in 1974... but that was then...

Old
05-30-2010, 03:10 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
No, but I do have ears. From the NBC feed, I could hear pucks hitting guys' sticks. It was quiet from what I heard. From guys who were there:
Loudness levels from the game here... http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=530503

Now I don't know what games you've been to, but I can tell you first hand as I was there, that it was unequivocally very loud. Over the past ten years I've been to regular season and playoff games alike for the Red Wings and Pistons championship runs (have season tics for both), and the UC was as rocking as any venue or game I've attended. It certainly exceeded the loudness of any recent Wings game I've attended.

While it probably wasn't as consistently loud as the venerable Chicago Stadium was (as I remember it), you have to consider that the old stadium probably had 1/3rd the volume than the UC. Unless you were there, you probably should refrain from commenting on it.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:18 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
Loudness levels from the game here... http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=530503

Now I don't know what games you've been to, but I can tell you first hand as I was there, that it was unequivocally very loud. Over the past ten years I've been to regular season and playoff games alike for the Red Wings and Pistons championship runs (have season tics for both), and the UC was as rocking as any venue or game I've attended. It certainly exceeded the loudness of any recent Wings game I've attended.

While it probably wasn't as consistently loud as the venerable Chicago Stadium was (as I remember it), you have to consider that the old stadium probably had 1/3rd the volume than the UC. Unless you were there, you probably should refrain from commenting on it.
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that these numbers were actually kept track of. I'll be keeping an eye on those numbers for Games 3 & 4, I think they'll be a bit higher.

Old
05-30-2010, 03:31 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
This is JVR's first playoff run, and I think most would agree he is not even close to one of our better players thus far. No knock against him, i'm sure he'll be huge in the future.

Carcillo I would argue has been more a factor these playoffs than JVR. I honestly don't think his opinion is that far out there. I also think you'd be presuming far too much to say Carcillo couldn't play a larger role at this point than JVR. It's something you cannot predict. The "he's young" argument at this point I could care less about, i'm more concerned with winning than coddling a young player's mental state. We haven't been to this stage in a long time.

Though, this is all assuming Carcillo came back hungry but level headed and didn't put us in the box. If Carcillo plays his game well, he's a great agitator who can get some chippy goals from time to time. We could use more powerplays.
Like I said, AT TIMES during these playoffs, he was a top player. He didn't get the results, but if you watch the game you'd see many times he was knocking on the doorstep.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:44 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Like I said, AT TIMES during these playoffs, he was a top player. He didn't get the results, but if you watch the game you'd see many times he was knocking on the doorstep.
He's done more in the last two rounds than Carcillo. I don't think we should be clamoring for him to be removed from the lineup after a night where everybody looked like ****.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:58 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that these numbers were actually kept track of. I'll be keeping an eye on those numbers for Games 3 & 4, I think they'll be a bit higher.
Could very well be higher in Philly. As I said, the UC volume is huge, and it's difficult for the normal "din" of a game to sound loud. The crowd was buzzing the whole game, and my 14 year old son was losing his voice midway through the second period. Can't remember the stat exactly, but I think it was once stated that you could easily "drop" the whole Chicago Stadium inside the UC. Personally, I think the UC is too voluminous, and the seating should have been packaged better.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote