HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Post your backyard setup

Old
05-25-2010, 07:49 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

vCash: 500
Street pucks, my garage, roller blades, old wooden stick, gloves, and a net

My set up

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:23 PM
denace

Very nice setups everyone, looks good, I'm jealous....

It strikes me that you are all shooting at a short distance from the net ( especially kr580), does it work effectively at that range ?

Currently I try to set up a nice shootingrange at my backyard but I'm having trouble with the surface that is a bit sloping and not very smooth...I have a homemade shootingpad tho...do you have some useful tips to deal with this ?

I'll post pictures soon of my yard, its raining cats and dogs at the moment..

tia !

denace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by denace View Post
Very nice setups everyone, looks good, I'm jealous....

It strikes me that you are all shooting at a short distance from the net ( especially kr580), does it work effectively at that range ?

Currently I try to set up a nice shootingrange at my backyard but I'm having trouble with the surface that is a bit sloping and not very smooth...I have a homemade shootingpad tho...do you have some useful tips to deal with this ?

I'll post pictures soon of my yard, its raining cats and dogs at the moment..

tia !
I'm building a collapsible setup that I can move around, if you could set one up in the street, I should have some pictures tomorrow when I finish and test it out.

The PVC section is completed, the top part (left side), pops off and folds over, and then the whole thing rolls up. Tonight I will tie the net to it, and tomorrow put together the stand.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 04:40 PM
denace

That would be a good solution, as long as its easy to carry around

I'll be looking forward to those pics

Old
05-29-2010, 06:43 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
The net holds up to my shots from any range. Although I'm a noob and don't have much power in my shot. Haha. I've since moved the shooting board back a bit so now i shoot from about 18 feet.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 06:48 PM
denace

Quote:
The net holds up to my shots from any range. Although I'm a noob and don't have much power in my shot. Haha. I've since moved the shooting board back a bit so now i shoot from about 18 feet.
Isn't it difficult to see where your shot is going or are you just practising the shooting technique ? I`m a noobie too btw

Old
05-29-2010, 06:57 PM
kr580

Quote:
Isn't it difficult to see where your shot is going or are you just practising the shooting technique ? I`m a noobie too btw
Well, yeah, I was a bit too close and only had a split second to see what my shot looked like. That's why I moved it. Being 18' away gives you tons of time to look at your shot and adjust if need be. I just have to be careful of launching pucks over the net into the neighbor's yard. :-x

Old
05-29-2010, 07:00 PM
denace

aha I see, well I dont like my neighbour anyway

Old
05-29-2010, 07:05 PM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I just use my 4ft x 6ft goal net and make sure I do not miss the net.

Kiss the can!

Preeeety sure I distinctly remember you posting...and I quote...

"...the one shot that went over the net hit a tree, good thing the neighbor wasn't out mowing his lawn or anything it might have killed someone..."

make sure not to miss huh

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Razzmatazz

Net tied to the poles, broken down and rolled up...looks like contraban, but it does the trick

Old
05-30-2010, 02:35 AM
denace

Its easy to carry around like that. Good job !

It looks like a giant roach

Old
05-30-2010, 04:12 AM
dabeechman

Anybody construct their own regulation sized goal?

Looking to see what amount of netting you went with.

Thanks.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Anybody construct their own regulation sized goal?

Looking to see what amount of netting you went with.

Thanks.
I made my own goal out of PVC pipe and cut them down to regulation size. You can always buy the netting with sleeves that the pipes go into from Mylec. People are spending over 100 bucks for hockey goals when you can simply make one out of strong pvc pipe for a mere 5-10$ and just buy the netting for around 20$. I do slaps, snaps, and hard wrists. Hit the post MANY of times but the pipe won't budge or break.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:59 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
I made my own goal out of PVC pipe and cut them down to regulation size. You can always buy the netting with sleeves that the pipes go into from Mylec. People are spending over 100 bucks for hockey goals when you can simply make one out of strong pvc pipe for a mere 5-10$ and just buy the netting for around 20$. I do slaps, snaps, and hard wrists. Hit the post MANY of times but the pipe won't budge or break.
My brother used to work on a garbage truck and he found regulation hockey net in decent condition ( no rips) so we made our own net out of square 2 inch metal pipe. I think it was lying around on our farm, we just cut it up and welded it. It was a pretty ugly net, all square (we didn't have a pipe bender) but it worked well. I think it ended up in the bottom of our pond because we forgot to take it off before the ice melted, there must be about 5 hockey nets down there from over the years

Oh and I find PVC nets are annoying because they break with hockey pucks (the ones I have shot on anyways) and they move around when I shoot.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:05 PM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Oh and I find PVC nets are annoying because they break with hockey pucks (the ones I have shot on anyways) and they move around when I shoot.
Im pretty sure PVC is not the way to go for an advanced shooter. I make dents on the metal pipes of my net. Even i havent got the hardest slapshot +70mph, i would say it wouldnt take many good shots before the PVC would shatter.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:11 PM
DevilsFan38

These look awesome, you guys might have inspired me to try and put together my own setup!

What have you used for the board you shoot off of (preferably something not too expensive)?

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
Preeeety sure I distinctly remember you posting...and I quote...

"...the one shot that went over the net hit a tree, good thing the neighbor wasn't out mowing his lawn or anything it might have killed someone..."

make sure not to miss huh
Ah yes ... well thankfully the backyard is longer than a regulation ice rink (not the rink picture, the one pictured is on MY property, cannot build past where it is on someone else's lawn) but if someone were out mowing the lawn they would be at risk for sure

Snowmobilers too if I make my ice rink I make som years here. That big pine tree in the middle is about 200 feet away from the camera.

The snowmobile trail goes about 5 feet past the end of this rink.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:23 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
These look awesome, you guys might have inspired me to try and put together my own setup!

What have you used for the board you shoot off of (preferably something not too expensive)?
You can buy a proper shooting pad which is a piece of condensed white plastic. They slide great and are easy to clean.

The other cheaper option is a piece of Melamine coated wood, which is the stuff that cheap white cabinets are made of. That stuff can be a little bit more porous and they do degrade after a while, but if you coat it with silicone spray or pledge it, it can slide fairly well. The bonus of it is that it's easier to find, or you can even find it free.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:15 PM
kr580

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post

I'm using what's called a Thrifty White Board. It's a 4'x8' panel for $12 at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's a thin wood panel with a white plastic coating on top that makes it slick. It's slick enough to shoot off of as-is. Bought some silicone lube though and the board is slick as snot now.

Thrifty White Board @ Lowe's

Note: I have it on uneven, rough concrete or a brick patio so I put a 1/2" plywood board underneath to keep it from getting torn up.

Old
05-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm using what's called a Thrifty White Board. It's a 4'x8' panel for $12 at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's a thin wood panel with a white plastic coating on top that makes it slick. It's slick enough to shoot off of as-is. Bought some silicone lube though and the board is slick as snot now.

Thrifty White Board @ Lowe's

Note: I have it on uneven, rough concrete or a brick patio so I put a 1/2" plywood board underneath to keep it from getting torn up.
The "Joint" backstop is working to perfection, but I'm going to need to redesign the base, one experimental shot knocked down the entire setup and multilated the hinges. It was really flimsy, and not as manageable as the PVC section.

Finally used that Thrifty whiteboard, at the very least....it is AWESOME! Whoever came up with that one is a genius. I have it cut 2x4 feet for shooting specific without the plyboard on the back (it's easier to move around for a quick setup), and stick it on the concrete or asphalt, as long as you are keeping the puck away from the back of the pad when you shoot, you should be fine.

Last edited by Razzmatazz: 05-31-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old
05-30-2010, 06:54 PM
DevilsFan38

Thanks guys, the whiteboard looks great and is definitely affordable!

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:45 PM
dabeechman

I tried the whiteboard route and destroyed it in a couple shots.

PVC wouldn't hold up to my shot. I've actually tried it before and broke one with a nylon ball (street hockey at the time). Forget a puck.

I'll have 60 in my goal with netting with 2" mild steel tubing.

Old
05-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
aha I see, well I dont like my neighbour anyway

Old
05-31-2010, 12:44 AM
dabeechman

I found a guy who gave me a killer deal on the netting. It is 3x as thick as the cheap stuff on ebay, it is UV treated, and can cover a regulation sized goal frame.

If anybody here is building their own goal, PM me and I'll give you his information.

Old
05-31-2010, 01:17 AM
denace

I bought my net from a fisherman in a village near our town for under 10 euro ( thats under 10 bucks too ! )

He gave me a little bag of free crayfish too