HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Salary Cap To Go Up By $2 Million

Old
05-30-2010, 04:19 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Not sure what that goaltending comment has to do with anything. If anything it just proves that having 3 balanced scoring lines and a strong defense can get a team to the finals even without goaltending. We dont have either and we wont be able to fill those holes when we need to because of cap problems.

Im not advocating signing mediocre UFAs at all. I'm advocating staying the course, letting kids develop and not making moves that are gonna cost us down the line when we realize that the only thing this player does for 9 million dollars is score goals in the regular season and thats it. no defense. bad attitude. not a winner.

it's shortsightedness at its best.
Are you kidding? What about Kovalchuk suggests bad attitude to you? The guy is about as stand up as it comes. If you're equating Russian hockey player with bad attitude, you're barking up the wrong tree.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:19 PM
FOXHOUND*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Are you kidding? What about Kovalchuk suggests bad attitude to you? The guy is about as stand up as it comes. If you're equating Russian hockey player with bad attitude, you're barking up the wrong tree.
he's a me first player and a puck hog. he's not a team guy. thats a bad attitude to me.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
For a guy who has won nothing of importance and if he's not scoring goals hes not contributing i think that is the overstatement of the century

we need depth. one player is not depth.
Well, we're going to argue about this guy in two separate threads...

Kovalchuk has had over 30 assists in 6 straight seasons. How many forwards on the Rangers had 30 assists last year? 2, and one of them was Gaborik. Hell, for all their vaunted depth the Blackhawks only had 3 guys and the Flyers 4. Add Kovalchuk to the roster and I guarantee the Rangers have 4 forwards with 30+ assists next year.

Kovalchuk might score more goals than he has assists most seasons (although it's been the other way around for the last two years) but he's hardly a puckhog. The guy improves your offense OVERALL. And that's hardly a "only when scoring goals" contribution.

I'm still torn on whether or not I want Kovalchuk on this roster, payroll-wise, but I'm tired of the unfounded criticism the guy gets.

Also, the Rangers have the depth offensive players they need, especially if you're looking at becoming Cup contenders in 1-3 years.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:23 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Well, we're going to argue about this guy in two separate threads...

Kovalchuk has had over 30 assists in 6 straight seasons. How many forwards on the Rangers had 30 assists last year? 2, and one of them was Gaborik. Hell, for all their vaunted depth the Blackhawks only had 3 guys and the Flyers 4. Add Kovalchuk to the roster and I guarantee the Rangers have 4 forwards with 30+ assists next year.

Kovalchuk might score more goals than he has assists most seasons (although it's been the other way around for the last two years) but he's hardly a puckhog. The guy improves your offense OVERALL. And that's hardly a "only when scoring goals" contribution.

I'm still torn on whether or not I want Kovalchuk on this roster, payroll-wise, but I'm tired of the unfounded criticism the guy gets.

Also, the Rangers have the depth offensive players they need, especially if you're looking at becoming Cup contenders in 1-3 years.
You have a terrible eye for talent

Old
05-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Are Dubinsky, Callahan, Drury, Avery, Anisimov and Christensen significantly worse than Versteeg, Brouwer, Ladd, Byfuglien, Madden and Kopecky? The difference is that, for the Blackhawks, those were their 5-10 forwards last season and for the Rangers, those were their 3-8. The 'Hawks group scored 2 more points than the Rangers group.

No, the Rangers group of depth forwards is fine, it's the high end talent that's missing.

Old
05-30-2010, 06:49 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Larry Brooks reported about 3-4 weeks ago that the NHLPA was going to exercise their 5% bump. Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun wrote in Sunday column about 2 months ago that the NHL execs were operating with the idea of $59 million cap.

The players had 18% of the salaries placed into escrow and Bill Daly said last week the players would be getting 12% of their money back.

The NHL projected the 2010-11 cap based on their 82 cent Canadian dollar projection. The 09-10 season didn't have the dramatic shortfall and the CDN has not been lower than 93 cents. It was on par with the USD about 4-5 weeks ago before the Greece,Spain and Portugual worries hit Europe. The USD rallied against the other currencies.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:50 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Are Dubinsky, Callahan, Drury, Avery, Anisimov and Christensen significantly worse than Versteeg, Brouwer, Ladd, Byfuglien, Madden and Kopecky? The difference is that, for the Blackhawks, those were their 5-10 forwards last season and for the Rangers, those were their 3-8. The 'Hawks group scored 2 more points than the Rangers group.

No, the Rangers group of depth forwards is fine, it's the high end talent that's missing.
The Rangers aren't a kovalchuk away. they have depth problems. again, you have a terrible eye for talent

Old
05-30-2010, 06:52 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
NHL general managers are under the impression next year's cap will come in at approximately $58 million if, as expected, the NHLPA triggers the five-percent inflator. That means the summer cap will be approximately $63.8 million, thus leaving the Rangers around $17 million with which to sign Marc Staal and Dan Girardi and address the rest of the roster's deficiencies.

Assume that the Blueshirts, who will be obliged to carry Wade Redden's $6.5 million cap hit until he can be waived off the NHL roster during training camp, will spend in the $1.75-2 million neighborhood on a backup for Henrik Lundqvist, with Martin Biron and Johan Hedberg believed at the top of GM Glen Sather's wish list.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0pSaAYVzu

Old
05-30-2010, 06:54 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
There appears to be some kind of confusion as to what the salary cap number will be in the NHL next season.

League sources say the number will be close to $57 million.

One team source called me this week to insist the number is closer to $59 million and that number will change how teams operate.

The team source said he had spoken to several GMs operating under the assumption of the $59-million cap.

But the league voice seems adamant that the number will be $57 million.
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../13626696.html

Old
05-30-2010, 07:02 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Oh great, let's spend close to 2 mill on a backup. Glen, you should be able to get a decent back for around a mill.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
The Rangers aren't a kovalchuk away. they have depth problems.
I never said they were. In fact, I've stated that I don't necessarily want Kovalchuk on the team. My point was that their depth players aren't the problem. This is an entirely different statement than their overall depth.

To which you didn't answer my question. Are the Blackhawks depth forwards significantly better than the Rangers?

Old
05-30-2010, 07:07 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
I never said they were. In fact, I've stated that I don't necessarily want Kovalchuk on the team. My point was that their depth players aren't the problem. This is an entirely different statement than their overall depth.

To which you didn't answer my question. Are the Blackhawks depth forwards significantly better than the Rangers?
Completely

Old
05-30-2010, 07:09 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Higher cap means more money for everyone.

Sign Staal to an extension.
Sign Girardi to an extension.
Deal with Prust and Christensen. Both arb eligible.
Re-sign Shelley.
Sign a quality back up goalie.

The team has no size anywhere. I read those projections of MZA,Frolov and Zherdev playing on the top two lines. They will get run out of the building before the end of the first period.

If you play with the numbers(logically),the Rangers could have $4-$5-$6 million after satisfying the above commitments plus the current commitments($57-$58 million). $58 million cap + 10% bump($5.8 million)

They'll have a ton of money in October after subtracting Redden and Rissmiller.

Brashear's $1.4 million will count.

Old
05-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Completely
I agree that their makeup is different, and maybe better suited to the playoffs since the players are bigger, but I don't think the talent level is greater.

But then again, the grass is always greener with the good players that aren't on your own team, especially when you're coming off a season of failure.

I'm sorry I can't be as pessimistic as you.

Old
05-30-2010, 07:35 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
I agree that their makeup is different, and maybe better suited to the playoffs since the players are bigger, but I don't think the talent level is greater.

But then again, the grass is always greener with the good players that aren't on your own team, especially when you're coming off a season of failure.

I'm sorry I can't be as pessimistic as you.
It's called being realistic

Old
05-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
It's called being realistic
No, realism probably falls somewhere between your opinion and mine.

But at least I'm realistic enough to realize that.

Old
05-30-2010, 07:41 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
No, realism probably falls somewhere between your opinion and mine.

But at least I'm realistic enough to realize that.
dude, you are terrible at assessing talent. know that. you want are forwards to be better than they really are. its not gonna happen.

Old
05-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
dude, you are terrible at assessing talent. know that. you want are forwards to be better than they really are. its not gonna happen.
Why do you keep on saying this?

Hang on, are you a pro scout?

I doubt it. So chances are, my opinion on our talent is equally as valid as yours.

At least I use some sort of evidence to back up my opinion, instead of just telling you that you're an idiot over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and....

Old
05-30-2010, 08:56 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:

I think its you, dude.

Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, McDonagh, a top 10 pick in this draft.

Del Zotto and Anisimov just graduated. Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal.

They all suck. Just ****in awful, huh?

and im not suggesting Callahan is a superstar, hes the quintessential third liner and hes damn good at it.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:01 PM
bubba5

The King was worn out by the quality scoring chances against not just because of games we only scored 1 goal a game. Yes we need more offense, but a team is built from the goaltender out. Look at the Devils from 95 on, how many people here have said marty was not that good because it was his defense not giving up anything. We need reliable defensman who can shut teams down and not rely on our goaltender to steal games

Last edited by bubba5: 05-30-2010 at 10:15 PM.
bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:23 PM
satrabyk

Wow horrible news. Why have a salary cap if its going to go up until it reaches a point in which teams would almost spend anyway without a cap. The cap was prob one of the better moves of the league and now they want to put it back up. For you fans who are happy because we can sign an overpaid player, take some deeper thought before posting such things. Seriously it would be much better with a low cap maybe we would not have Wade, and Drury.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:29 PM
satrabyk

Quote:

The game is not a matter of being significantly better, but that group for Chig is better. However the true difference lies in Kane, Toews and the D that your leaving out. Gaborik is not near Kane or Toews level.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Wow horrible news. Why have a salary cap if its going to go up until it reaches a point in which teams would almost spend anyway without a cap. The cap was prob one of the better moves of the league and now they want to put it back up. For you fans who are happy because we can sign an overpaid player, take some deeper thought before posting such things. Seriously it would be much better with a low cap maybe we would not have Wade, and Drury.
That's silly logic. We'd sign those same players for the same percentage of our cap (possibly higher). If the cap was higher, though, we'd have more room to use the money that our franchise brings in. The reason our team was able to spend so much for so many years is because we have a large fan base. It's a bit unfair to paying fans of large market clubs that we can't spend the money our team makes on talent while clubs that come close to losing money can come close to matching our payroll.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
The game is not a matter of being significantly better, but that group for Chig is better. However the true difference lies in Kane, Toews and the D that your leaving out. Gaborik is not near Kane or Toews level.
Woah woah woah now. Chicago has a better forward group and defense then us without a single doubt.

But Gaborik not near Kane or Towes level? Are you kidding me? Gaborik is most certainly AT their level and can be argued to be above.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:42 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If youre going to dump Redden to make room for Kovalchuk fine. If youre going to dump Redden to pocket the capspace, fine. But please, for the love of God, DO NOT get rid of Redden just to sign a Plekanec/Marleau.
I wish I could post this in every room of Sather's house.