HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Cup 2012

Old
05-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Rob

vCash: 500
World Cup 2012

It was announced tonight that there will be another World Cup of Hockey. Instead of 2011 it is expected to take place in 2012. Better timing.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Uncle Sam

Awesome!

Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 05:35 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Nice!

TheFatOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Muuri

Source?

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Source?
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/c...?id=2000368551

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Sergei Makarov

I hope Russia boycotts this pantomime. It would be fantastic if other nations did the same.

Sergei Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
I hope Russia boycotts this pantomime. It would be fantastic if other nations did the same.
Ouch, is there a greater insult in 2010 then to refer something as a pantomime?

Russia will be there, Having a Russian team compete serves the interests of Russian hockey, especially if the roster is half KHL. If they end up winning it's probably the best advertisment and validation the KHL could ever hope for, save winning the Olympics.

The stakes aren't as high as the Olympics but it's still a best on best which would eclipse the WCH's and all the intrigue of Chris Mason as a starting goaltender. It would be interesting to see what direction countries are taking their rosters for 2014 as well.

Last edited by Wham City: 05-30-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Rob

I think a boycott would only happen if the NHL decided not to participate in 2014 Sochi. Hopefully everything works out.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Nakawick

I don't know if people outside of Canada can see this or not, but here is the link. starts around 2:10 http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC.../ID=1508031362

The NHL is proposing this for an international schedule for their players.

2011 World Championships
2012 World Cup
2013 World Championships
2014 Olympics
2015 World Championships
2016 World Cup

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
I don't know if people outside of Canada can see this or not, but here is the link. starts around 2:10 http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC.../ID=1508031362

The NHL is proposing this for an international schedule for their players.

2011 World Championships
2012 World Cup
2013 World Championships
2014 Olympics
2015 World Championships
2016 World Cup
So are they proposing that Finland Sweden will have the 2012 World's taken away from them? The one's which for example the city of Tampere are building a new arena for? Not to mention the 2014 Worlds in Belarus? Since there already binging agreements (and I'd imagine signed agreements), there would be a boat load crap hitting the fan, i.e. court cases.

Btw, I'm not seeing anything on that Nationalpost page. Do I need to turn off *******? 'Cause that's not happening.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 05-30-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: yes, it is.
Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 05:39 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
So are they proposing that Finland Sweden will have the 2012 World's taken away from them? The one's which for example the city of Tampere are building a new arena for? Not to mention the 2014 Worlds in Belarus? Since there already binging agreements (and I'd imagine signed agreements), there would be a boat load crap hitting the fan, i.e. court cases.

Btw, I'm not seeing anything on that Nationalpost page. Do I need to turn of *******? 'Cause that's not happening.
Also, the 2016 which were awarded to the Czechs this year, they´d be pretty pissed about that as well.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 05-30-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: edited qp
slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Also, the 2016 which were awarded to the Czechs this year, they´d be pretty pissed about that as well.
I forgot to meniton, what if Slovakia got relegated next year in their own tournament? Would you/they be happy waiting two years to play on A-level again?

Financial aspects have been mentioned several times before but since Canadian posters still seem to ignore it, think about this way: what effect would it have on Hockey Canada if they didn't get to host a single IIHF event for 10 years?

Old
05-30-2010, 06:22 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I forgot to meniton, what if Slovakia got relegated next year in their own tournament? Would you/they be happy waiting two years to play on A-level again?

Financial aspects have been mentioned several times before but since Canadian posters still seem to ignore it, think about this way: what effect would it have on Hockey Canada if they didn't get to host a single IIHF event for 10 years?
Yeah, and it´s not only about those four nations that get relegated/promoted, what would happen with all the divisions of the WHC and through what would those countries finance their programmes if not from the profits of the top pool WHC.

I would be really pissed if the 2011 WHC was not played and we got the World Cup instead sides many other factord also because it would mean that we would lose a lot of money, half of the profits from the WHC which are meant to go into youth hockey development over here.

With all respect, the fact just is that the majority of Canadian fans/press don´t see past Canada, at best they also see the US, Russia or Sweden. Outside that there´s nothing much. Let´t not even speak about the lower divisions, I´d say that 90+% of them couldn´t even tell me the number of divisions of the IIHF WHC´s. And the NHL is no different.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 05-30-2010 at 06:28 PM.
slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 06:52 PM
DoyleG

Quote:
Hockey Canada has done a lot to sell the international brand. Losing much of that income would have a far bigger effect than not hosting an international tournament.

This is really a push by American voices (ie Bettman and Burke) to muscle their way into international hockey.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Wham City

Quote:

Btw, I'm not seeing anything on that Nationalpost page. Do I need to turn off *******? 'Cause that's not happening.
It's not really clear at this point if that schedule implie's the NHL wants the World Championships played every two years or if the World Championships would continute to be played every year but that NHL players would be restricted from playing in World Cup and Olympic years.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 07:59 PM
RusskiyHockey

2012 obviously makes more sense than next year. Still though, the World Cup shouldn't take anything away from the World Champs. No country will boycott the Cup, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of non-North American players take a pass, especially if it's in August. The World Cup can make a good practice exercise for Sochi.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
It's not really clear at this point if that schedule implie's the NHL wants the World Championships played every two years or if the World Championships would continute to be played every year but that NHL players would be restricted from playing in World Cup and Olympic years.
I can't see Canada and the US sending a team if the NHL pulled out of the IHWC. At best I think it would continue on as a European Championship in the years the NHL did not participate.

Last edited by Mr Kanadensisk: 05-30-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Nakawick

Quote:
They are not suggesting to cancel the World Championships, but they are speculating that NHL participation may be limited. The World Championships would still go on. Nothing has been made official and it is just speculation at this point. Clearly the IIHF pissed off Betman though. Who gets the money from the World Championships? Where does it go?

Quote:
No clue what you are talking about. I posted a link to HNIC from CBC.

Old
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
I can't see Canada and the US sending a team if the NHL pulled out of the IHWC. At best I think it would continue on as a European Championship in the years the NHL did not participate.
Why wouldn't Canada/USA participate?

Zine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Nakawick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Why wouldn't Canada/USA participate?
If there is an international tournament, Canada and the Us will always participate. The NHL can't force the decision on players whether to attend the World Championships or not. Even so, there are enough NA players in Europe and in NA not playing in the NHL to make a team.

Old
05-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Zine

Quote:
If there is an international tournament, Canada and the Us will always participate. The NHL can't force the decision on players whether to attend the World Championships or not. Even so, there are enough NA players in Europe and in NA not playing in the NHL to make a team.
Correct. NHL or no NHL participation, there is no benefit for USA/Canada Hockey not to send a team.

In fact, this may be a rare instance where the NHL and USA/Canada federations may have conflicting interests.

Zine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Who gets the money from the World Championships? Where does it go?
IIHF and the host country's federation. IIHF will use the money in their operations and hockey development in smaller countries (this being basically the major function of the IIHF). The national federations will use the money in their domestic hockey development/funding (e.g. supporting the building of hockey rinks).

Quote:
No clue what you are talking about. I posted a link to HNIC from CBC.
I meant the link posted by "Uncle Rotter".

Old
05-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusskiyHockey View Post
2012 No country will boycott the Cup, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of non-North American players take a pass, especially if it's in August. The World Cup can make a good practice exercise for Sochi.
I can definitely see some players taking a pass on the World Cup. A lot players have off-season surgeries and would rather spend the time recovering than playing below 100% fitness. It was painful watching Selänne-Koivu-Lehtinen play in the 04 World Cup when all players were recovering from surgeries or in dire need of one. If a similar situation arises in 2012, I'd rather we take a pass on the whole tournament than the replace key players with European players. This year's World Championships were indicative of how poorly we'd fair.

Old
05-31-2010, 12:48 AM
Muuri

There is no way 2012 Worlds are scaped. Kummola would pretty pissed of if that happened.

As for World Cup I really hope finals are played with best of 3 series format.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 08:57 AM
Nakawick

The World Cup would be held in Septemeber at the same time as the NHL training camps are going on. Anyone playing or planning to play in the NHL would already be committed to being on the ice at that time. This is the only realistic time to have the tournament, unless it is in the middle of the season like the Olympics.

I am curious to see what the tournamnet format will be and how many teams and which teams will play. I assume that the "top 7" will play but I wonder who the other(s) will be. Personally, I would like 8 teams with a round robin where all teams play each other once, then the top 4 play in the semi's (#1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3), then the final.