HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Finishing the check"

Old
05-30-2010, 08:33 PM
shortcat1

vCash: 500
"Finishing the check"

I don't know where to put this for discussion so, I'll try here for now. Maybe one of the 'bosses' of this site will have a better idea & will lead me to the best place to discuss this topic.

In NHL rule 56 (Interference), at the section called "Possession of the Puck", it says:
"The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession."

The reason for this thread is to discuss what is called 'finishing the check'.

Note that it says "player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following the his loss of possession."

The word 'immediately' is the one in question here. I remember, not too many years ago, when a player check another player after the puck was gone, he was susceptible to be penalized for interference. At that time, 'immediately' meant just after the puck was gone.

Now, it seems that 'immediately' has been temporally stretched - that is, it could be a few seconds (or more?) after the puck is gone. I have to say that I disagree with this seemingly new 'interpretation' of this rule. I fear that it leads to a potential for injuring another player and, for that matter, it actually gives licence to hit to injure.

I know that the players being hit are more or less ready for this hit because they know that it may always come. Nevertheless, rough play is encouraged over skill and speed which are, to my thinking anyway, better aspects of the game of hockey.

It may very well be that this is being allowed to try to meet marketing needs in the US where, for many, gladiator-like spectacles are more appealing.

(By the way, this isn't necessarily a slam at any team in particular (ie: Flyers, etc.). Even if a player on my team (Canadiens) does it, I would still hope that he would be assessed an interference penalty.)

I can 'rant' some more but I'll stop here. I hope that this topic will be considered worth discussing.

Comments?

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Jason Sonier

"Immediately" is less than 1 second IMO. Anything more than a second after is ridiculous. There are some other places I'd like to see the league become more relaxed on the interference though...

1) Loose puck... two player's fighting for it.
2) Around the crease. There should be a zone where player's can battle for position.

Last edited by Jason Sonier: 05-30-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Jason Sonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Habs 1909

"Immediately" depends on the situation.

IMO and from what I've realized from watching and playing hockey, when player A along the boards passes the puck, the opposing player has 2 seconds to legally check him.

When player A skates into the opposing teams zone and chips it in, the opposing player cannot make a large amount of contact. Interference calls are usually called in these situations since it's more evident.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:04 PM
shutehinside

I see what shortcat is saying. I've asked myself the same question many times. I see it all the time where several moments pass when a player had passed of the puck and then gets nailed by an opposion player.

I have a major issue with how many more rules get called by different refs and at different times during the year and individual games. It soo upsetting as a fan sometime seeing so many blatent penalties not being called when they should be.

The NHL should seriously consider how games are called as it's easy for the casual and well as die hard fans to interpret this as preferential treatment of teams and players can lead to the integrity of the league being called into question.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Megaforce

Howie Meeker used to attribute every goal to someone poor slob not having finished his check.

Arithematically it shouldn't matter because the checker and the checkee both cancel each other out from the puck play battle with this irrelevant contact.

Neither gets cancelled out without contact.

If you assume that the checker destablizes the checkee more than he himself is destabilized, then it can be justified and recommended.

Assuming that they're both equally destabilized then the first strides following the body check are more important than the check itself.

If getting hammered on the ice by opponents finishing their check was such a big deal then Gorges would be a very bad defenseman.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Habs13

Theres too much of a grey area with "immediatly" ... that is possibly a reason why the refs are not consistant with each other. Not everybody is on the same page.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote