HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blake Wheeler on the block

Old
05-30-2010, 10:52 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
This is exactly the type of deal the Rangers should make. He fits into the "young" Torts wants and can help immediately.

On a sidenote, would anyone be okay with the Rangers going after a player like Boyes to help solidify the top-6? He brings size and a very good net presence as well as some pretty good skills. If St. Louis was looking to move him I would be interested.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:04 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
I would like to obtain Blake Wheeler but hate the thought of giving anything of value to the team I have a deep seeded hatred for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yw8GTNOECY

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Vitto79

I think Boyes makes quite a bit so they would have to take some salary back but he may be worth a shot

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:50 PM
darko

Wheeler should definitely be a guy we ask about. He fits the bill and would look good on Arty's line. He would bring much needed size and some grit.

As for Boston moving from #15 to #10 and giving up Wheeler, Rangers should be all over that. Not sure that Boston would do it.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 11:52 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Wheeler.... grit?

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:02 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Wheeler should definitely be a guy we ask about. He fits the bill and would look good on Arty's line. He would bring much needed size and some grit.

As for Boston moving from #15 to #10 and giving up Wheeler, Rangers should be all over that. Not sure that Boston would do it.
Yea are you saying he would bring much needed size and grit? Or grits?

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:03 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Wheeler would look great next to Anisimov.
Came here to post this exact sentence, I agree wholeheartedly.

Avery - Anisimov - Wheeler would be a SICK third line, although Ani and Wheeler would be better suited with MZA on their left and getting second line minutes.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
The most I'd give up is Gilroy and a pick.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 12:35 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I guess it really depends on what else they do to upgrade the top 6

I see this kids upside , but he better not be plan "A" for the top 6

05-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
This is exactly the type of deal the Rangers should make. He fits into the "young" Torts wants and can help immediately.

On a sidenote, would anyone be okay with the Rangers going after a player like Boyes to help solidify the top-6? He brings size and a very good net presence as well as some pretty good skills. If St. Louis was looking to move him I would be interested.
I have a total and complete mancrush for Boyes. Love the guy. He's doesn't exactly bring size, being 6'0", 200lbs, but he can get dirty and has a nice skillset. His cap hit is $4M/year for the next 2 seasons. I would do horrible things to get him on the Rangers.

I don't think he'll leave St. Louis, though. His production sort of train wrecked this year, dropping 30 points from last year and getting almost 20 less goals, but I still think the Blues will retain him at all costs.

As for Wheeler, if the price is cheap, make the move.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 01:06 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i would kill to get him.

Sanguinetti + our second? prolly not enough.

id sign him and then drop Prospal and put Wheeler in his spot.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Ola

I would love to get him too, we need size. A big portion of our roster up front contains grit et c. Dubinsky, Callahan, Avery, Prust, and co. But not much size at all.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 01:50 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Anyone know what his QO would be?

Maybe a better/cheaper option than getting Byfuglien. Id like to see one of the 2 playing with Anisimov.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 01:53 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think had Wheeler wanted to be a Ranger he would have signed in NY instead of Boston.

Boston is in about the same cap space problem as the Rangers are.

Perhaps Girardi might work as his new salary could be a push versus Wheeler.

So NY would pick up Wheelers salary by swapping out Girardi's. They would then bring up a dman from the Pack such as Sangs, resign Staal and go into next season with

Rozi, Staal, MDZ, Gilroy, Sangs and Redden

maybe they send the WADE to the ahl and then all bets are off.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 03:12 AM
RegalRangers

Does Gilroy's Boston University career make him more attractive to the Bruins?

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 04:04 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

I could see Wheeler being a good pick-up. Maybe re-sign Prospal and keep him on the first line?

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Wheeler
Cally-Drury-MZA
Avery-Boyle-Prust
Shelley

I really like that second line. Three young guys that could probably compliment each other pretty well. Anisimov thrived with Prust and Shelley, Dubi and Wheeler could be a higher skilled version of the toughness Arty liked having on his sides. We still wouldn't have an elite option outside of Gaborik but we'd have some semblance of depth. Definitely a variety of lines we could roll out.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 05:24 AM
eco's bones

The reason Wheeler is so inconsistent is he does play soft at times. Other than that he's a very big guy with skill who can skate and who knows maybe in time he will be more consistent. I would swap the 10 pick for Wheeler and the 15 pick.

However I'd be even more interested in Lucic if he were available and even if his cap hit is higher. He might not have quite as much skill level as Wheeler but he still can play and take a regular shift and put up some decent numbers and he is one big, mean and nasty forward. So what about the 10 pick for Lucic and the 15 pick? I'd rather do that one even more.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
Anyone know what his QO would be?

Maybe a better/cheaper option than getting Byfuglien. Id like to see one of the 2 playing with Anisimov.
Wheeler is arbitration eligible. His QO is based on his salary of $875,000. His salary could be lower than $875,000 if he got a signing bonus which he definitely did. His QO is his salary plus 105%. (Players making between $660,000 and $1 million receive 105% of their salary as a QO. Less than $660,000 is 110%. Over $1 million is just 100%). However,he is arbitration eligible which makes him expensive and lowers his value in a trade. Still just a 2nd year player. A team trading for him has to be ready to make the financial commitment to Wheeler and he has a tough agent in Matt Keator.

Wheeler signed his ELC as a 22 year old. 2 years pro experience. 24 is the magic number for arbitration. If the combination of the players age when he signed his first pro contract and his pro experience equals 24,then the player is arb eligible.

Callahan signed his ELC as a 21 year old and Dubinsky signed his ELC as a 20 year old at the same time/started the same time. 3 year ELC's. Both expired in the same year. Callahan was eligible for arb while Dubinsky was not. Callahan had 24 while Dubinsky had 23.

Wheeler has the 24 number.

September 15 is the number used to determine the ELC age. Wheeler signed his ELC when he was still 21 on 7/1/08 but by the time September 15 2008 rolled around,Wheeler was 22. His DOB is 8/31/86. 22-23 year olds sign 2 year ELC's.

Wheeler is going to cost $2-$2.5 million in arbitration.

Quote:
The next key date for Group 2 free agents on the Critical Date Calendar is July 1. That is the first day Group 2 players can sign contracts and is also the first day teams can submit offer sheets.

Just four days later, July 5, is the deadline for Group 2 players to file for salary arbitration. Of course, not all Group 2 free agents have salary arbitration rights and there is no simple way to know if a player has arbitration rights or not, but the following two scenarios encompass the vast majority of players who will have that right:

1) Players who have four years or more of professional experience under NHL contract. (The exception to this rule is for players who started their pro careers in the 2004-05 lockout season, as that year does not count for determining salary arbitration eligibility).

2) Players whose age at signing their first NHL contract plus their number of years of pro experience under NHL contract adds up to 24 or more. For example, David Clarkson signed with the New Jersey Devils as an overage junior at age 21 and has been under NHL contract for three years, so he has arbitration rights. David Backes of the St. Louis Blues also has salary arbitration rights even though he has been a pro for only two seasons because he was 22 years old at signing.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...on-rights.html

Wheeler fits in the Backes example.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 07:39 AM
bubba5

He is a good player but needs a center, we have none!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Black Tank

For everyone wanting to trade Girardi, I'm curious how you plan to replace ATOI of 21.5 mins for 82 games. Who exactly is going to pick up this ice time against the opposition's top 2 lines every game? I'm not sold on Wheeler, he was frustratingly ineffective against the Flyers and I know the Boston fans were not happy with him (the -6 might explain some of that...)

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 09:04 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
The most I'd give up is Gilroy and a pick.
If I seem to remenber correctly wasn't Boston and N.Y the finalists for both of these players when they were FA--seems like a good swap Boston looking for a young D-man Rangers could use a big winger.Plus with all of the d-man in our system it wouldn't hurt to move Gilroy.

On a side note I agree with also moving the 10 pick for Boston 15 pick and Wheeler.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 09:30 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Trade for Wheeler, our 1st and Sangs for Wheeler, the 15th pick and the Bruins 2nd rounder. (Boston is not giving upo Wheeler to move up 5 spots)

then sign Poikarovsky

that would address size and scoring from the wing position. Then we could focus on finding the right center.

this is assuming that we move one of, if not both, Deaden and Dreary contracts from the ledger.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 09:37 AM
bruinsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
I think he could be a good fit if he comes cheap and finds more consistency to his game.
After his recent play, there is no reason to believe he's going to break the bank....aside from the fact that there are about 25 crappy GM's in this league who love to overpay for talent to try to extend their jobs.

bruinsbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:18 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Trade for Wheeler, our 1st and Sangs for Wheeler, the 15th pick and the Bruins 2nd rounder. (Boston is not giving upo Wheeler to move up 5 spots)

then sign Poikarovsky

that would address size and scoring from the wing position. Then we could focus on finding the right center.

this is assuming that we move one of, if not both, Deaden and Dreary contracts from the ledger.
Just threw up in my mouth a little.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Celestial Black

If we could get him for the right price I would be sold on picking him up.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote