Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Swiss hockey players in NHL/AHL

Old
01-28-2010, 07:58 AM
koh19

vCash: 500
I watched last night's game between the Norfolk Admirals and the Hartford Wolf Pack where there was a swiss match up, Simek vs. Ambuhl. Norfolk won the game 5-4, both players got an assist.

To me, although Ambuhl hasn't had many points this year, he was the best player out there. Now, I'm not even being biased, even if the guy was portugese I'd notice it. (I've got nothing against portugese lol). He played on the top line with Crowder and Owens. Their line was constantly creating chances, making nice plays, cycling the puck. Ambuhl was hitting everything in sight, finishing his checks everytime. He was the most energetic, speedy, gritty, agile player out there. He was all over, skating hard, making good plays, being physical. I can't really tell if it's his teammates that are the problem (they perhaps play a slightly different style of game) or something else.

If he can find the right teammates (or team), I'm sure he can start lighting it up. He's got all the tools necessary. Again, to me, he was the best player out there (for both teams).

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:48 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Daniel Steiner

(now 9 games 10 points in AHL) After having seen Rochester Americans vs Hamilton (2 assists and 1 goal in SO + the other goalie stole 2 goals to Steiner), i must say that i am surprised by how he is evolving and adapting. He simply seems to adjust to the game and while he doesn't display an impressive technical repertoire, he simply seems to be on the right place on the right time, seems to put his stick in the right moment to steal a puck, seems to make simple smart passes, makes very few mistakes and outworks many mates ... he has something very efficient in what he does. In fact he could be a story like Sexton/ANA. Sexton also played in ECHL, than AHL and finaly in NHL ... in the same year and he scores with the Ducks. Sexton is not impressive, you see Getzlaf doing fancy moves ... Sexton does none of that, simple moves but ... he scores and assists ! (like Getzlaf, actually less!). I would be mildly surprised to see Steiner called up into the NHL and start scoring or assisting in the same way. Therefore i would assign him a 40% chances to play in NHL. Because he surprises me in the adaptation and the cleverness of his game that translates efficiently into points.
I can't see Steiner being called up at all this year, honestly. I would change those chances to 5%. He doesn't have an NHL contract, which is a pretty big road block, and many teams would rather call up a prospect than give a 29 year old a shot at the big time. I just don't see it happening this year. If he sticks around and has a strong camp next year I can see him being signed and being 13th forward or a top call-up.

You also have to realize that the Steiner situation and the Sexton situation are complately different. Sexton is only 22 or 23 years old and is in his first professional season. Steiner is 29 and has played in many seasons overseas. I understand why you're being optimistic, but I'm just being realistic. He is going to have a very tough time making it to the NHL this season and I just don't see it happening. Maybe if he sticks around another year or 2 he will though.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:54 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I can't see Steiner being called up at all this year, honestly. I would change those chances to 5%. He doesn't have an NHL contract, which is a pretty big road block, and many teams would rather call up a prospect than give a 29 year old a shot at the big time. I just don't see it happening this year. If he sticks around and has a strong camp next year I can see him being signed and being 13th forward or a top call-up.

You also have to realize that the Steiner situation and the Sexton situation are complately different. Sexton is only 22 or 23 years old and is in his first professional season. Steiner is 29 and has played in many seasons overseas. I understand why you're being optimistic, but I'm just being realistic. He is going to have a very tough time making it to the NHL this season and I just don't see it happening. Maybe if he sticks around another year or 2 he will though.
You are right, Rochester gave him a Rochester only contract apparently. Therefore chances to see him in the NHL this year are very very slim. On top of that 29 years old seems to be a problem. (not for me as long as the player is evolving but I could understand on the online literature that it is so ... then ... so be it !)

My view is that he adjusted well to the North American game. He keeps adjusting ... he is changing now ... .His speed is average, technicity is also average ... but he seems to be smart and well positioned, Good passes ... The future will tell us ... maybe 40% i was a bit optimistic we have to be optimist in life no ?

If he gets let's say a 1.4 points per game ... he might get a 2 way contract next year.
then who know's ?

Last edited by torero: 01-28-2010 at 06:14 PM.
torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:10 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I watched last night's game between the Norfolk Admirals and the Hartford Wolf Pack where there was a swiss match up, Simek vs. Ambuhl. Norfolk won the game 5-4, both players got an assist.

To me, although Ambuhl hasn't had many points this year, he was the best player out there. Now, I'm not even being biased, even if the guy was portugese I'd notice it. (I've got nothing against portugese lol). He played on the top line with Crowder and Owens. Their line was constantly creating chances, making nice plays, cycling the puck. Ambuhl was hitting everything in sight, finishing his checks everytime. He was the most energetic, speedy, gritty, agile player out there. He was all over, skating hard, making good plays, being physical. I can't really tell if it's his teammates that are the problem (they perhaps play a slightly different style of game) or something else.

If he can find the right teammates (or team), I'm sure he can start lighting it up. He's got all the tools necessary. Again, to me, he was the best player out there (for both teams).
Happy you could see a game with him. I have the same feeling about it (read my earlier posts). You may still have seen one of his good games ... some are depressive ... when he is with the last line ... nothing happens and he is with his good attitude alone ... the liners are lost with him ... he plays 2 classes above ... simply faster and smarter ... 1times out of 3 one of his mates would create an offside not understanding him ! little ice time. PFFFF ! i am impressed he didn't give up ! RESPECT !

Yet the boards don't agree with us !! for them he is lost ... for them he has talent but cannot translate it into anything. They are surprised he is still around ! and with the small scoring ... it gives them right !

Soooo frustrating. (ça me fout les boules !)

Hopefully he will find a good team/team that fits his skills. I am surprised his manager didn't try to find another AHL team.

Old
01-28-2010, 06:39 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Happy you could see a game with him. I have the same feeling about it (read my earlier posts). You may still have seen one of his good games ... some are depressive ... when he is with the last line ... nothing happens and he is with his good attitude alone ... the liners are lost with him ... he plays 2 classes above ... simply faster and smarter ... 1times out of 3 one of his mates would create an offside not understanding him ! little ice time. PFFFF ! i am impressed he didn't give up ! RESPECT !

Yet the boards don't agree with us !! for them he is lost ... for them he has talent but cannot translate it into anything. They are surprised he is still around ! and with the small scoring ... it gives them right !

Soooo frustrating. (ça me fout les boules !)

Hopefully he will find a good team/team that fits his skills. I am surprised his manager didn't try to find another AHL team.
He's on an NHL contract so thats why he's with Hartford (affiliate of NYR).

Old
01-29-2010, 03:50 PM
torero

Quote:
He's on an NHL contract so thats why he's with Hartford (affiliate of NYR).
This I understood. 1yr 2way contract.
In fact it seems that no one likes him in the organization. Tortorella never gave him a chance. It is Tort's choice ... . and in Hartford he doesn't seem to be valued neither. In other words no one in the organization won't let him go.
You agree that when a contract makes no sense for both parties ... their is always a way to fit everyone's best interest.

Old
01-29-2010, 03:56 PM
smitty10

Quote:
This I understood. 1yr 2way contract.
In fact it seems that no one likes him in the organization. Tortorella never gave him a chance. It is Tort's choice ... . and in Hartford he doesn't seem to be valued neither. In other words no one in the organization won't let him go.
You agree that when a contract makes no sense for both parties ... their is always a way to fit everyone's best interest.
I understand, but I think they are holding onto him for depth reasons. He's a guy they could call up and play on the 4th line and kill 8-10 minutes a game, without being a liability. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him called up at some point toward the end of the season.

He was however cut by the team in training camp because he is not better than anyone on their current roster. He's also a smaller guy who needed to get accustomed to playing North American style hockey before he should have even been considered being called up. I think he's starting to reach that point now and it would be great to see him play a few games as a Ranger.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:42 AM
torero

Quote:
I understand, but I think they are holding onto him for depth reasons. He's a guy they could call up and play on the 4th line and kill 8-10 minutes a game, without being a liability. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him called up at some point toward the end of the season.

He was however cut by the team in training camp because he is not better than anyone on their current roster. He's also a smaller guy who needed to get accustomed to playing North American style hockey before he should have even been considered being called up. I think he's starting to reach that point now and it would be great to see him play a few games as a Ranger.
Maybe ... May the NYR organization hear you !

Old
01-30-2010, 02:02 AM
torero

Steiner

The Amerks lost yesterday to the Albany River Rats 3 - 4.
1 goal, 1 assist and the 2nd star of the game for Steiner who again played soundly.
For who is interested in reading about Steiner more in details than on the HF Boards :
http://www.rochestersportsfan.com/fo...splay.php?f=51

Gerber

I felt interesting to note that since Atlant Mytishi has hired another goalie, Ian Laschak to replace recovering Gerber, who was threatened to see his contract closed due to the impossibility of a KHL team having 2 foreign goalies on their roster. (see previous post). The Orbital stats Lashak had came down to more normal levels. Presently they are for Gerber 91.4% saves and 2.17 average goal per game while Lashak has 90.2% saves with 2.74 GAA. Of course stats are one aspect of the game... i cannot share any comments on the game since i never saw one.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
torero

Hiller

was signed for a 4 years contract by the Ducks at a 4.5 mio salary a year until 2013/2014 season.

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|ANA|home

It means that the Ducks will be spending over USD 10 mio a year for goaltending (Guigere 6 mio + Hiller 4.5 mio) which is too much for them. That means that Guigere will be in a deal in the coming days/weeks and that Hiller will be the starter officially after Guigere will be gone/exchanged for other players.

Congratulations Hiller.

interesting article praising Hiller :
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=515325

Old
02-04-2010, 03:47 AM
torero

Hiller

is in an olympic form. He's been standing on his head in the last games.

I wish Krueger offers him a 4.5 mio until the next olympics ... because if he stays in the same shape, we are olympic champions

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...20092010,2,840

In my view he is ni better shape than he was in the last playoffs. My only point of worry is that he gives up more rebounds than i whish he would.

Old
03-21-2010, 04:27 PM
torero

Daniel Steiner

In spite of having a decent scoring ratio, 20points in 27 games, Steiner was sent back to the Reading Royals in ECHL because The Rochester Americans had too many Veterans to be lined up. Therefore he was benched in the last games. And they took the smart decision to let him play in ECHL so as to be in good shape if ever he gets called up.

He is regretably too old to be on a list of potential players to be considered in NHL by the NHL scouts. Therefore he sees many players not having his level /efficiency being lined up while he remained on the bench.

In light of this, it was great to have found a team (Rochester Amerks) who took him, appreciated him and played with him. We have to remember that many of these AHL teams are farm teams with obligations to their NHL team, therefore they are not entirely free to play who they want the way they want.

hopefully it will be good for Steiner and he will be back in full shape when it most counts : Playoffs.

Old
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
torero

Roman Josi will be a Predator for the next three years. (or an Admiral ... AHL's farm team Milwaukee admirals)

Apparently Nashville made an offer to Josi ... who most probably will sign it.

http://slapshot.ch/slapshot-news.asp...d=11104&navi=1

Roman Wick is also likely to play for the Senators ... (starting in AHL / Binghampton ... farm team) according to a local newspaper.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...470/story.html

Robert Meyer won the MVP in co with the other goalie with The Cincinnati Cyclones when they won the Kelly cup.

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic....cat=1&id=22225

We will see how many Swiss will scratch NHL ice next year.

i would expect : Streit, Hiller
Josi (to be seen if NHL or AHL), Sbisa (WHL, AHL or NHL), Wick (AHL or NHL), Weber (AHL or NHL) + surprises ... (Nino should stay in WHL or AHL) and Berger should also stay in OHL, Steiner (AHL certainly), i don't believe that Ambuhl will find an NHL team ... (AHL would have been possible but even after his good WC performances i do not see a team giving him a shot at NHL level ! sad but true! maybe thru a training camp .... but .... well who know's ?!) and Robert Meyer maybe in AHL ? ...

Last edited by torero: 05-27-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old
05-28-2010, 03:32 AM
swissexpert

I can see following Players begin the Season in training camps:

Hiller (100% chance of making the roster)
Streit (100%)
Sbisa (75%, depends on the Duck's D-situation)
Niederreiter (10% - 40%,depends on the team that drafts him)
Josi (30%, will Hamhuis resign, can Sulzer, Blum make the roster?)
Weber (20%, depends on retirings, resignings)
Simek (10%, was on the team until the last cut in last camp, this year he was even better in AHL)
Mayer (2%, they have better Goalies behind Halak, Price)
Wick (40%, if yes, he'll play top 6 forward!)
Ambühl (10%, maybe with better luck)
Deruns (10%)
Stephan (40%, if he'll be invited, I see him as a Back-Up)
Gerber (50%, like Stephan)

haha, 13 swiss players in the training camps, this would be awesome, but I don't see this happen

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:00 AM
jonas2244

Do Weber and Simek still have contracts?

Nino has only two possibilities, NHL or WHL, is not allowed to play AHL. Sbisa now can play AHL as he turned 20 but I really think he'll be a NHL-regular next season.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 07:24 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
I can see following Players begin the Season in training camps:

Hiller (100% chance of making the roster)
Streit (100%)
Sbisa (75%, depends on the Duck's D-situation)
Niederreiter (10% - 40%,depends on the team that drafts him)
Josi (30%, will Hamhuis resign, can Sulzer, Blum make the roster?)
Weber (20%, depends on retirings, resignings)
Simek (10%, was on the team until the last cut in last camp, this year he was even better in AHL)
Mayer (2%, they have better Goalies behind Halak, Price)
Wick (40%, if yes, he'll play top 6 forward!)
Ambühl (10%, maybe with better luck)
Deruns (10%)
Stephan (40%, if he'll be invited, I see him as a Back-Up)
Gerber (50%, like Stephan)

haha, 13 swiss players in the training camps, this would be awesome, but I don't see this happen
Its impossible for all these guys to be in camps because many of them have contracts in other leagues.

Hiller, Streit, Josi, Weber, Niederreiter and Sbisa WILL all be at camp because they do/will have contracts or be part of an NHL team.

Not sure about Simek.

Wick and Gerber also do not have contracts next season and from what I've heard have spoken with teams (Wick has been offered a contract with Ottawa). The rest I'm pretty sure have a 0% chance because they have contracts in Europe, therefore cannot participate in camp.

Last edited by smitty10: 05-28-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old
05-28-2010, 02:38 PM
torero

Quote:
Its impossible for all these guys to be in camps because many of them have contracts in other leagues.

Hiller, Streit, Josi, Weber, Niederreiter and Sbisa WILL all be at camp because they do/will have contracts or be part of an NHL team.

Not sure about Simek.

Wick and Gerber also do not have contracts next season and from what I've heard have spoken with teams (Wick has been offered a contract with Ottawa). The rest I'm pretty sure have a 0% chance because they have contracts in Europe, therefore cannot participate in camp.
Does that mean that, for example Ambuhl who has a contract in Switzerland with an NHL clause cannot go into a camp ?

if it is because of the time (NLA will have started when the camps will take place), then it will depend on the type of NHL clause that is in the contract between the player and his Swiss team.

am i correct ?

Old
05-28-2010, 03:52 PM
koh19

Simek: I really hope this is the year Simek makes the Tampa Bay roster. With a new GM in Steve Yzerman (yay! my favorite player), I don't know how things are gonna go. He's been with the farm team for quite a few years now, was amongst the very last cuts last year and he had a very good season. I hope he finally makes it, IMO he deserves it.

Ambuhl: I really hope some NHL team gives him another chance. He had an awesome WC. I have the feeling that the New york organiszation wasn't a good place for him (and for these kind of free agents for that matter) I predict Zuccharello's gonna follow the same kind of path as Ambuhl, not that I hope he does but I just can't see him making the team out of training camp.

Stephan: This guy should be able to get a back up spot somewhere, he's capable of it.

Gerber: I see Gerbs back in the NHL, maybe St-Louis (Murray with Team switzerland...)

Wick: I'm glad he's willing to give it a shot, even if it means playing in the AHL a little. I think Ottawa is the perfect fit for him. I see him getting a similar role and playing time that Regin got last year.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 04:39 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Does that mean that, for example Ambuhl who has a contract in Switzerland with an NHL clause cannot go into a camp ?

if it is because of the time (NLA will have started when the camps will take place), then it will depend on the type of NHL clause that is in the contract between the player and his Swiss team.

am i correct ?
No, if a player has a valid contract in another league they cannot attend training camp for an NHL team. For example: last season Dan Steiner had to buy himself out of his Swiss contract in order to attend the Blue Jackets camp, which he was cut from.

No matter the clause, the player cannot opt out of a contract for training camp and then go back to their previous team if they don't make the NHL. The only people that can do that are Swede's that are under 22 and not first round picks (New option between SEL and NHL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
Simek: I really hope this is the year Simek makes the Tampa Bay roster. With a new GM in Steve Yzerman (yay! my favorite player), I don't know how things are gonna go. He's been with the farm team for quite a few years now, was amongst the very last cuts last year and he had a very good season. I hope he finally makes it, IMO he deserves it.

Ambuhl: I really hope some NHL team gives him another chance. He had an awesome WC. I have the feeling that the New york organiszation wasn't a good place for him (and for these kind of free agents for that matter) I predict Zuccharello's gonna follow the same kind of path as Ambuhl, not that I hope he does but I just can't see him making the team out of training camp.

Stephan: This guy should be able to get a back up spot somewhere, he's capable of it.

Gerber: I see Gerbs back in the NHL, maybe St-Louis (Murray with Team switzerland...)

Wick: I'm glad he's willing to give it a shot, even if it means playing in the AHL a little. I think Ottawa is the perfect fit for him. I see him getting a similar role and playing time that Regin got last year.
I can't see Ambuhl coming back. He gave it a shot and was unsuccessful and same goes for Stephan. Stephan is a good goalie, but Dallas F-ed him and I doubt he will come back.

Old
05-28-2010, 05:50 PM
jonas2244

I also think Ambühl will play in Switzerland for the next few years. He had his chance this year and was not able to use it.

Stephan I could see getting another shot in the NHL. Not this year, perhaps, he'd need another one or two very strong seasons in Switzerland and maybe an #1-job at the World-Championship. He's just 26 and there are several examples of goalies who joined an NHL-team later than that. And he's a very talented guy and is capable of playing in the NHL.

Wick still has a contract with Kloten, but he'll be able to kick it if he's offered one from Ottawa which seems to be the case.

Oh, and to answer my question. Weber has still a contract for another year, Simek is out of contract with Tampa and RFA.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2010, 06:12 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I am a Tobias Stephan fan ever since the Stars drafted him and I followed him from then to present. He had great potential and the Stars (my favorite team since 02) screwed Tobi over. After a very solid season with Geneve going all the way to the finals and having a .930SV% in 53 regular season games do you guys think a team will give him a chance? I really hope so because I know he is NHL material after the way he played against Canada and this year in the swiss league. He is capable of playing as a backup if he is giving about 20 games.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 03:05 AM
torero

Quote:
I can't see Ambuhl coming back. He gave it a shot and was unsuccessful and same goes for Stephan. Stephan is a good goalie, but Dallas F-ed him and I doubt he will come back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
I also think Ambühl will play in Switzerland for the next few years. He had his chance this year and was not able to use it.
For both, it is a pitty they didn't explore the international arena ex NHL ! Some years in Sweden or in Russia can't be that bad !

To find a woman, discover a new country, learn a new language, more seriously to play in another league, have a leading role in a foreign organisation (their is a french say : on n'est pas prophète en son pays ! meaning that it is difficult to rise above the crowd when you are in your own country)

I wonder if their commercials are enough open to the world ?

Old
05-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Uncle Sam

Hiller!

Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2010, 09:27 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasstephan View Post
I am a Tobias Stephan fan ever since the Stars drafted him and I followed him from then to present. He had great potential and the Stars (my favorite team since 02) screwed Tobi over. After a very solid season with Geneve going all the way to the finals and having a .930SV% in 53 regular season games do you guys think a team will give him a chance? I really hope so because I know he is NHL material after the way he played against Canada and this year in the swiss league. He is capable of playing as a backup if he is giving about 20 games.
There are plenty of guys who play in the AHL that could easily fill that position though. Its a better option for a NHL team to bring up a 23 year old from the AHL that will only require 500k per season than bring in a 26 year old from Europe that will demand much more than that.

Old
05-31-2010, 06:01 AM
legion681*

Quote:
There are plenty of guys who play in the AHL that could easily fill that position though. Its a better option for a NHL team to bring up a 23 year old from the AHL that will only require 500k per season than bring in a 26 year old from Europe that will demand much more than that.
Stephan has a bit more experience than a 23 years old from the AHL and also wouldn't you want, as a backup at least, a netminder that was able to beat Canada at the WC (which is way tougher than say for example beating the Providence Bruins)?

legion681* is offline   Reply With Quote