HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan McDonagh refuses to sign with the Rangers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-30-2010, 03:01 PM
  #51
couris
Registered User
 
couris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
And the Habs wouldn't trade Gomez for Gaborik straight up, either. What's your point?
are you new to hockey?

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:17 PM
  #52
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
I turned to this thread because I wanted to read about Ryan McDonagh. Instead I find this blather about Scott Gomez. I know all about Gomez. He's been discussed ad nauseum for close to a year. It's been as disappointing as picking up last month's newspaper at a kiosk instead of today's. I want my money back.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:23 PM
  #53
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
You'll sound silly when Gaborik is going to miss like 50 games next year like he does every year. He's absurdly injury prone, the Rangers took a great risk signing him. You also don't take into account that the Rangers might have failed to sign him, in which case they would have been screwed.

Gaborik has had some injury problems.

Considering that in nine (9) full NHL regular seasons Gaborik has played a total of 578 games (an average of 64.2 games per season) I might stop short of describing him as absurdly injury prone. He has missed an average of 18 games per season.

But, if - as you say - the Rangers took a great risk signing him (due to his injury problem) - I guess that is even more evidence to my premise that the Rangers trading of Gomez was (highly likely) a salary dump and apparently, a risk that the Rangers were indeed willing to take!



Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:26 PM
  #54
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
are you new to hockey?

Good one!

Too funny dude!


Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 03:18 AM
  #55
sakiaba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I turned to this thread because I wanted to read about Ryan McDonagh. Instead I find this blather about Scott Gomez. I know all about Gomez. He's been discussed ad nauseum for close to a year. It's been as disappointing as picking up last month's newspaper at a kiosk instead of today's. I want my money back.
Amen, brother. Here's a link to a more useful discussion on the Rangers board: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=780929

sakiaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 09:35 AM
  #56
Chris Nilan
Registered User
 
Chris Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
I'm using Whitesnake's quote because, on 'Attaque 5' last night, it was mentioned that Ryan McDonagh is refusing to sign with the Rangers.

It was added that in 2011, he would become a free agent. The idea that Montreal might have signed Klubertanz because he was a playing buddy with McDonagh would make it more likely that McDonagh would come back to the Canadiens.

The comment was added that this would make the Higgins & McDonagh for Gomez & Pyatt trade a ridiculous steal for the Canadiens.

I suppose... the thing is that McDonagh is rated the Ranger's sixth best prospect. On top of that, he's rated their 5th best defensive prospect and a 7.5C. (That's quite a drop from when he was considered an 8.0B a couple of years ago.)

In any case, if it works out that the rumour does come to fruition, I don't know if it'd be as big a deal as is made to be.

Comments?
When did we turn into the same thing as Maple Leafs fans? I mean, all they ever do is say stuff like "Well, trade [insert favourite Leaf underachiever here] at the deadline for a couple picks and then re-sign him in the summer." How often does it really happen that a team trades someone and then immediately re-signs him?

I'm not talking about bringing back a spent Chris Nilan or spent Stephane Richer well after the fact to end their careers, but the kind that Toronto fan and the people who started this rumour believe in. Anybody think Kovalchuk is going back to Atl? Did Sundin go back to TO? Does it ever happen?

Leave this stuff to the people who make tinfoil Stanley Cup replicas for the annual November 1st parade down Yonge St.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
  #57
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
What a pure load of garbage. Gomez's speed coming through the middle and his ability to negate the trap was the single most important factor in these playoffs. (other than maybe the Gill/Gorges/Halak combo) You remove Gomez you remove our ability to gain the zone. Period.

He was one of if not THE most important factor on the ice imo. There is more to hockey than scoring goals you know. And wtf is wrong with a second assist? It's worth just as much as a goal.

Oh yeah, he also had this gem in game 7. WIthout him, forget about facing Pittsburgh.

Not too many players in the league can make this pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQvIkxaTD54
Yes, Gomez did make a few good plays during the playoffs. Had he contributed more goals, like Cammy (or even more "assists" in round 3), the Habs might still be playing!


No........the single most important factor of the playoffs for the HABS was the play of Halak...........by far.

Fact is, like him or not, Cherry repeatedly pointed out that the Habs success in the plyoffs resulted from them chipping the puck into the opponents zone and forechecking - he also pointed out that they too often failed to keep puck possession tin the offensive zone while trying to carry across the blueline!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:53 AM
  #58
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
Gaborik has had some injury problems.

Considering that in nine (9) full NHL regular seasons Gaborik has played a total of 578 games (an average of 64.2 games per season) I might stop short of describing him as absurdly injury prone. He has missed an average of 18 games per season.

But, if - as you say - the Rangers took a great risk signing him (due to his injury problem) - I guess that is even more evidence to my premise that the Rangers trading of Gomez was (highly likely) a salary dump and apparently, a risk that the Rangers were indeed willing to take!


Of course Gomez was a salary dump..

The Rangers traded us the best of their 3 terrible contracts. Consider Gaborik had major injuries in 07, 08 and 09 in which he missed 27 to 38 games. This became a yearly occurance, there are no telling when another might happen again. He played 17 games the season before the Rangers signed him... Would you seriously sign such a player to a long term contract? Possible DiPietro situation imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid
Yes, Gomez did make a few good plays during the playoffs. Had he contributed more goals, like Cammy (or even more "assists" in round 3), the Habs might still be playing!


No........the single most important factor of the playoffs for the HABS was the play of Halak...........by far.

Fact is, like him or not, Cherry repeatedly pointed out that the Habs success in the plyoffs resulted from them chipping the puck into the opponents zone and forechecking - he also pointed out that they too often failed to keep puck possession tin the offensive zone while trying to carry across the blueline!
Which is why Gomez was so important. At times it felt like he, Subban and Cammalleri were the only players who could carry the puck.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 11:02 AM
  #59
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Of course Gomez was a salary dump..

The Rangers traded us the best of their 3 terrible contracts. Consider Gaborik had major injuries in 07, 08 and 09 in which he missed 27 to 38 games. This became a yearly occurance, there are no telling when another might happen again. He played 17 games the season before the Rangers signed him... Would you seriously sign such a player to a long term contract? Possible DiPietro situation imho.



Which is why Gomez was so important. At times it felt like he, Subban and Cammalleri were the only players who could carry the puck.

Good points...........well taken!



Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.