HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign D Chris Tanev

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2010, 01:57 AM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
I always like these signings. Free assets for small money. Found an article on RIT in general and thought it was interesting.
Quote:
Wilson has built his team much like the perennial powers, reaching into Canada and the ranks of junior hockey for much of his talent. One of those is the 23-year-old Ringwald, who plays alongside freshman Chris Tanev to form one of the most efficient backline duos in the nation. Tanev is a plus-35 on the season and Ringwald a plus-23.

Ringwald readily admits that RIT, which does not offer athletic scholarships, did not top his list of college choices. He changed his mind after he realized he'd be able to play as a freshman.

"That was one of the big draws for me, as well as the fact that there's no doubt about the academics," said Ringwald, who's already working on his MBA.
http://www.boston.com/sports/college...e_rise/?page=2

This might be why he decided to sign a contract, but just speculating here because college can be expensive for non-residents. Also, there were other articles implying that he and Ringwald were playing 30 minutes some games.

Old
05-31-2010, 02:50 AM
Wetcoaster

Detailed article on Tanev and how he suddenly sprouted.
Quote:
There was a point during Chris Tanev’s early teen years when he figured his dream of playing professional hockey wasn’t going to come true.

For whatever reason his body was seemingly frozen in time. He wasn’t growing, and junior teams weren’t very interested in him, let alone Division I college programs and pro scouts.

“He was an undersized kid,” said RIT hockey coach Wayne Wilson. “He had given up competitive hockey for three years and just played in high school. He was a 5-foot-4, 5-6 defenseman and everyone thought he couldn’t play.”

Turns out “everyone” was wrong.

As if his parents started watering him, Tanev sprouted like a flower at springtime and his game began to mature along with his growing body. By the time Wilson was tipped off that he ought to come take a look, that first look told him Tanev was a player who could flourish at RIT.

A native of Toronto who is now 6-2, 185 pounds, Tanev was coached in junior by Rick Cornacchia, a respected coach in Canada and the father of RIT sophomore Mark Cornacchia. Rick Cornacchia, who once coached the Italian national team and was Eric Lindros’ coach in junior hockey, knew Wilson and the RIT program because his son had been recruited to go there.

Once Tanev began growing, Cornacchia called Wilson and basically told him “Hey, this kid can play.” Wilson concurred after watching him, and he recalled “We loved him, and we brought him in right away for a visit.”
http://rocnow.com/article/college-sports/20104060313

Old
05-31-2010, 03:03 AM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
“We thought when he got here, ‘oh boy,’ and when he gets another year or two of physical maturity, I think his potential is unlimited,” Wilson said
http://rocnow.com/article/college-sports/20104060313

Strong words by his coach.

Old
05-31-2010, 03:15 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
If Mike Funk gets over PCS he could be in the mix as well.
I think I read somewhere that the Moose were pleased in the limited action they saw from him.

Old
05-31-2010, 03:32 AM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Hopefully he's a smart kid if he's studying finance. I like intelligent defensive players, smarts can make up for lack of physical skills to some degree especially in D. Lack of D brains can kill a team: Bieksa & stupid plays come to mind.
I wouldn't read too much into it. Bieksa studied finance at Bowling Green and twice was given honorable mention for the CCHA All Academic team so good marks doesn't mean you have hockey brains.

Old
05-31-2010, 03:42 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I wouldn't read too much into it. Bieksa studied finance at Bowling Green and twice was given honorable mention for the CCHA All Academic team so good marks doesn't mean you have hockey brains.
Being that he was majoring in business, we all know the key to profit in business is "Turnover"

Old
05-31-2010, 03:52 AM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
George Parros, majored in economics and wrote his senior thesis on the West Coast longshoremen's labor dispute.

Case and point.

Old
05-31-2010, 04:04 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
I think I read somewhere that the Moose were pleased in the limited action they saw from him.
My guess is that the Moose will be patient with him and wait to see if he really does recover from his PCS, but if he is to get a contract this season, it'll most likely have to be with the Moose until he can re-establish his hockey career again.

Quote:
Being that he was majoring in business, we all know the key to profit in business is "Turnover"
Ka-ching!

It is nice to see the Canucks adding to their blueline depth. They are essentially "free" prospects after all, with very low risk and potentially good returns. Good job by Gillis. The Moose look to have a stacked blueline next year, but that's also what was said about the Canucks at the end of last year's offseason...

Old
05-31-2010, 07:16 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
lol!

Old
05-31-2010, 08:19 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Sounds like the type of player you can account on. *boom boom*

Hopefully he's a smart kid if he's studying finance. I like intelligent defensive players, smarts can make up for lack of physical skills to some degree especially in D. Lack of D brains can kill a team: Bieksa & stupid plays come to mind.

If he's a late bloomer physically might just be a steal, at least we are getting back our trade picks by stealth.
Quote:
It was business, but anyone with half a brain can do well in that. Too bad Bieksa used his half a brain for his schooling instead of using it for hockey brains.

Old
05-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Please be a hidden gem Tanev.

Old
05-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Meh. Future useful player or Daniel Rahimi v2.0? Oh well. Can't go wrong adding dmen.

Welcome, Chris Tanev. Please be at least moderately serviceable.
Don't recall us using up a 33rd overall pick to sign Tanev.

Old
05-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

free asset, sounds good to me.

guy looks good from the comments.

so does that mean he is going to hop in to the moose line up next year?

Would be hilarious to compare our defense this year to what we will have in the moose this year lol

Old
05-31-2010, 11:41 AM
windflare

Tanev, Sauve, Sweatt confirmed.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm...twt-vancanucks

Old
05-31-2010, 11:52 AM
xtr3m

So is Tanev a fellow web developer (Rochester Institute of Technology)? They make good defensemen.

Old
05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Connauton-Baumgartner
Sauve-Sweatt
O'Berg-Tanav
Ellington
Now that Sweatt, Tanav and Sauve have been confirmed, this seems likely. Although truthfully, it seems like a very green D corps for the Moose at this time...I would be surprised if Gillis/Zinger didn't add a vet or two to at least alternate some ice-time and perhaps ease some of the players in. Oberg's first season was an adventure by most fan accounts, and that lineup has three rookie pros in Connauton, Sauve and Tanav. Baumgartner isn't an AHL All Star anymore either.

Old
05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Good numbers but he did in a pretty weak division. RIT mostly got destroyed whenever they played a decent team.

Not much risk here though and he's young enough that there's probably some upside.
Not true at all. RIT outplayed the majority of their non-conference opponents during the season (the exception being the 2 game set in Minnesota State over the new year) but DeMichael really struggled during that portion of the schedule and hurt the team with mistimed softies.

And then of course RIT defeated Denver and UNH in the regionals of the NCAA. Tanev scored the first goal of the Denver game by picking off a clearing attempt and snapping a puck home.

Tanev isn't all that physical, but he's an extremely smart player in both the offensive and defensive zones. He was at the least very close to the top of the NCAA in +/- as a freshman. Weak division or not, that's impressive.

EDIT: Also worth noting is that RIT played against Hockey East's player of the year in the game against UNH, and another Hobey finalist against Denver in Rakshani (sp?) and both were very quiet against the RIT pairing of Ringwald-Tanev.

Last edited by jflory81: 05-31-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old
05-31-2010, 12:08 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Sounds like the type of player you can account on. *boom boom*

If he's a late bloomer physically might just be a steal, at least we are getting back our trade picks by stealth.
I agree that all other things being equal, I'll take the more intelligent player... but just because we're accustomed to 'brain farts' doesn't mean they're worse than a smart player who isn't physically or technically capable of the NHL - their shot just isn't hard enough, they shy away from any body contact, etc. Despite his 'brain farts', Bieksa is a regular in the NHL and there are a lot of smart players out there who aren't, because they're not as good as Bieksa at what Bieksa does.

Not saying Tanev isn't physically capable; that was obviously the consensus by scouts when he was 5'4-5'6 and not growing, but 6'2 is much more realistic NHL frame.

Old
05-31-2010, 12:08 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Connauton-Baumgartner
Sauve-Sweatt
O'Berg-Tanav
Ellington
Add one more vet, say Nycholat, and that's a pretty nice looking corp, especially if you put Sweatt in the veteran category. Good mix of prospects with some offensive upside (Kona, Oberg) to solid 2 way play (Sweatt, Sauve). Not sure which category Taney fits, but me likey the looks of that going forward.

Old
05-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Should be noted...Bieksa has a bachelor's degree in finance from Bowling Green. Being academically smart doesn't necessarilly translate to an intelligent hockey player. (I'm a Bieksa fan, but just saying)

Old
05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Not true at all. RIT outplayed the majority of their non-conference opponents during the season (the exception being the 2 game set in Minnesota State over the new year) but DeMichael really struggled during that portion of the schedule and hurt the team with mistimed softies.

And then of course RIT defeated Denver and UNH in the regionals of the NCAA. Tanev scored the first goal of the Denver game by picking off a clearing attempt and snapping a puck home.

Tanev isn't all that physical, but he's an extremely smart player in both the offensive and defensive zones. He was at the least very close to the top of the NCAA in +/- as a freshman. Weak division or not, that's impressive.

EDIT: Also worth noting is that RIT played against Hockey East's player of the year in the game against UNH, and another Hobey finalist against Denver in Rakshani (sp?) and both were very quiet against the RIT pairing of Ringwald-Tanev.
Thanks for the first hand account. Always helps put the random articles into perspective.

Old
05-31-2010, 12:42 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Thanks for the first hand account. Always helps put the random articles into perspective.
I'm a little bitter that we're losing Tanev after only one season - especially at a place like RIT where only one other player has left early in the history of the school (pitfall of going to D1, I suppose) - but it's nice that I can root for Chris to be the first RIT player to play in an NHL game on my 2nd/3rd favorite team.

And I do think he has that kind of ability.

Old
05-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Yeah I would expect him to be on the Moose. This could be a good chunk of a very young Manitoba D core next season: Tanev, Sauve, Connauton, Oberg, Baumgartner, Ellington (up and down with Salmon Kings)
Sweatt?

Old
05-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Ellington (up and down with Salmon Kings)
...or at the rate Gillis is signing defencemen, out the door after camp.

Old
05-31-2010, 02:26 PM
forty47seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Don't recall us using up a 33rd overall pick to sign Tanev.
I don't recall us using a 33rd overall pick to draft Daniel Rahimi either.

Closed Thread