HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign D Chris Tanev

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Canucks5551

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Not true at all. RIT outplayed the majority of their non-conference opponents during the season (the exception being the 2 game set in Minnesota State over the new year) but DeMichael really struggled during that portion of the schedule and hurt the team with mistimed softies.

And then of course RIT defeated Denver and UNH in the regionals of the NCAA. Tanev scored the first goal of the Denver game by picking off a clearing attempt and snapping a puck home.

Tanev isn't all that physical, but he's an extremely smart player in both the offensive and defensive zones. He was at the least very close to the top of the NCAA in +/- as a freshman. Weak division or not, that's impressive.

EDIT: Also worth noting is that RIT played against Hockey East's player of the year in the game against UNH, and another Hobey finalist against Denver in Rakshani (sp?) and both were very quiet against the RIT pairing of Ringwald-Tanev.
That's what I like to hear about a defenceman! This signing seems very promising to me. I'll take a free late bloomer who's still in his early 20's any day of the week. Hopefully he can make the big club in a couple years.

Old
05-31-2010, 03:38 PM
jimmythescot

As he was that much shorter than his peers, it's pretty impressive that he was playing at all at D. That's probably testament to his hockey IQ. The fact that he's grown to be a decent height for an NHL defenceman makes this a pretty intriguing signing.

Old
05-31-2010, 04:39 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty47seven View Post
I don't recall us using a 33rd overall pick to draft Daniel Rahimi either.
No, that was Ellington who we took with a very early 2nd. Rahimi was a 3rd round special. Great production from the early rounds...

Old
05-31-2010, 04:50 PM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
As he was that much shorter than his peers, it's pretty impressive that he was playing at all at D. That's probably testament to his hockey IQ. The fact that he's grown to be a decent height for an NHL defenceman makes this a pretty intriguing signing.
Agreed. The fact that he was good enough to be playing D in junior hockey at under 5'8" is promising, at that size you have to learn to use solid positioning and smart plays to compensate for your lack of size. Shooting up 6 inches after that is just a bonus.

Old
05-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty47seven View Post
I don't recall us using a 33rd overall pick to draft Daniel Rahimi either.
oops.

I need to learn how to read.

Old
05-31-2010, 06:06 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
I think I read somewhere that the Moose were pleased in the limited action they saw from him.
Yea Funk was very good until he went down. I think if he overcomes PCS then he is farther up the depth chart than most people think.

Old
05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
unikron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
...or at the rate Gillis is signing defencemen, out the door after camp.
I don't think it would be a bad thing for Ellington to be punted. I've seen most of his home games, and while he played better after being returned from the Moose, late in the season, he still was pretty scary in his own zone. And 'better' is a subjective term because he really couldn't have played much worse at the beginning of the season.

The one constant in his game all season though has been that he constantly is beaten wide and he makes terrible decisions under presure.

The thing that drives me most nuts is that he isn't a physical d-man at all, and to me it looks like there are two reasons for that: one he is too slow to get there, and two he thinks he is a skill player. It didn't help the second reason that he was being force fed power-play time near the end of the S-King season...

Old
06-01-2010, 02:23 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
Agreed. The fact that he was good enough to be playing D in junior hockey at under 5'8" is promising, at that size you have to learn to use solid positioning and smart plays to compensate for your lack of size. Shooting up 6 inches after that is just a bonus.
I can think of something else that just shot up after hearing all those positives about Tanev! Anyway, that definitely is good to hear. It seems like Gillis is really following through on his objective of getting smart players for this organization. And that growth spurt really is just gravy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unikron View Post
I don't think it would be a bad thing for Ellington to be punted. I've seen most of his home games, and while he played better after being returned from the Moose, late in the season, he still was pretty scary in his own zone. And 'better' is a subjective term because he really couldn't have played much worse at the beginning of the season.

The one constant in his game all season though has been that he constantly is beaten wide and he makes terrible decisions under presure.

The thing that drives me most nuts is that he isn't a physical d-man at all, and to me it looks like there are two reasons for that: one he is too slow to get there, and two he thinks he is a skill player. It didn't help the second reason that he was being force fed power-play time near the end of the S-King season...
Did you watch him many times over the course of the season? I had heard about his decision-making under pressure, along the lines of it being not so great at all. Is he really that slow? I've heard conflicting reports about his skating, so I have no idea what to believe .

Also, did it seem like the S-Kings' coach tried to help him improve his mental game? Did he show any signs of improvement throughout the season in that regard at all? I definitely remember him pinching a few times in one of his call-ups to the Moose this year, and that struck me as quite odd, as that wasn't really supposed to be what sort of player he was.

It seems to me like he is being pressured into changing his game to that of a more offensively-inclined playing style, what with Gillis' organizational mandate for a more up-tempo, aggressive system. Therefore he might not hit as much, and focus more on creating offense by taking more chances in the attacking zone. Maybe that's why he's looked bad?

Old
06-01-2010, 09:14 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Good numbers but he did in a pretty weak division. RIT mostly got destroyed whenever they played a decent team.

Not much risk here though and he's young enough that there's probably some upside.
Not necessarily slaughtered, They lost a bunch of players at the end of last year, and had most of their NC games in the beginning of the season (Colgate/St Lawrence/Clarkson). They had a tough time finding themselves as evident by losing their first 5 games, but still kept the games close. Mankato, thats another story. they must have been hungover or something from the holidays.
DU may have been Luck (or the solid play of the Demicheal/Ringwald/Tanev and the rest of the team), but UNH was no fluke, they outplayed them.
He likely won't be in Vancouver, so your right that there isn't much risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
So is Tanev a fellow web developer (Rochester Institute of Technology)? They make good defensemen.
Didn't you guys hear Melrose during the FF? "You have to be a genius to go to RIT!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Not true at all. RIT outplayed the majority of their non-conference opponents during the season (the exception being the 2 game set in Minnesota State over the new year) but DeMichael really struggled during that portion of the schedule and hurt the team with mistimed softies.

And then of course RIT defeated Denver and UNH in the regionals of the NCAA. Tanev scored the first goal of the Denver game by picking off a clearing attempt and snapping a puck home.

Tanev isn't all that physical, but he's an extremely smart player in both the offensive and defensive zones. He was at the least very close to the top of the NCAA in +/- as a freshman. Weak division or not, that's impressive.

EDIT: Also worth noting is that RIT played against Hockey East's player of the year in the game against UNH, and another Hobey finalist against Denver in Rakshani (sp?) and both were very quiet against the RIT pairing of Ringwald-Tanev.
That was actually a sick play and sweet shot.

RIT did have a great PP, and most of it was because of Ringwald and Tanev (for those of you looking at D man points from RIT). I stated in the prospect signing on Trade rumors, that he may have rode Ringwalds coat tail early on, but he progressed immensely being able to learn from Dan, and made a name for himself. I think Wilson saw the kid had some serious potential and wanted him to become the next Ringwald for the team, hence the pairing of the two.

I will Echo Jflory here, as a RIT Alum I am sad to see him go, would have been nice to have him for a few more years. Ugh, the back end of the Tigers will be very different next year. He is a good puck mover, and will only get better. Must have been some other teams after him with the amount of money they threw at him....Can't blame him for leaving.

Hope to see him with the big club some day....

Old
06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Wetcoaster

Chris Tanev's contract - 3 year ELC - $900,000 cap hit - AHL salary of $67,500
http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1775

Compared to:

Evan Oberg - 3 year ELC (one year expired) - $1,562,500 cap hit - AHL salary of $65,000
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1239

Kevin Connauton - 3 year ELC - $900,000 cap hit - AHL salary of $67,500
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1716

Taylor Ellington - 3 year ELC (one year expired) - $875,000 cap hit - AHL salary of $65,000
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1237

Yann Sauve - 3 year ELC - $670,833 cap hit - AHL salary of $65,000
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1756

Lee Sweatt - 1 year contract - $650,000 cap hit - AHL salary of $150,000
http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1778

Old
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

So Tanev and Connauton got the same contract, interesting. Oberg's is certainly incentive laden, wow. Poor Sauve seemed to get the short end of the stick. :p

Old
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Tiranis

Oberg was probably offered a bigger contract because other teams were in the running. I think a lower cap hit also gives those players a higher chance of getting called up. 1.5m (Oberg) vs .65m (Sweatt) is a big difference.

Old
06-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
No, that was Ellington who we took with a very early 2nd. Rahimi was a 3rd round special. Great production from the early rounds...
As it stands, no good players were drafted after Rahimi. Only a few players to get any NHL time.

Ellington has some good players after him. I remember everyone here wanted either Repik or Moller with the pick. Either one would have been sound.

Oddly enough, as we know, after White, David Perron went, but the next 13 picks have yet to play in the NHL. Of which Ellington was one.

But yeah, we wanted Perron and Moller/Repik. Don't you hate it when fans are better than pros?

As for this signing, seems astute.

Last edited by Nalyd Psycho: 06-02-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old
06-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post

Didn't you guys hear Melrose during the FF? "You have to be a genius to go to RIT!"
I think you mean RPI, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute where Joe Juneau played college hockey and earned a degree in aeronautical engineering.

Old
06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Aqualung

Sounds like Oberg last year. Smooth and sound defencemen.

He better bulk up though. I pray to god both get some meat on them.

Old
06-02-2010, 03:06 PM
ronthecivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganja View Post
George Parros, majored in economics and wrote his senior thesis on the West Coast longshoremen's labor dispute.

Case and point.
Parros was still smart enough to be able to make it in the NHL despite not knowing how to skate OR play hockey! That's pretty impressive when you think of it!

He even has a trademark!

Old
06-02-2010, 03:07 PM
ronthecivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Think View Post
Sounds like Oberg last year. Smooth and sound defencemen.

He better bulk up though. I pray to god both get some meat on them.
Growing out is easier than growing up and he managed that. Get the nutrition and fitness team on this guy stat!

Closed Thread