HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Edge work

Old
06-01-2010, 12:07 AM
GrouperTrooper

vCash: 500
Edge work

So this is my first year playing on the slippery stuff in a mens b league. About 10 years ago I played roller in HS.

Anyway I'm a self taught skater, we'll just say it gets the job done , really it's not THAT bad, I'm probably one of the best 10 game veteran ice hockey players you've ever seen.

So I'd like to improve my stopping. I do the looping roller stop, but lack the confidence and technique to try full speed stops. Unfortunately the only ice time I get is the pregame warmup, and the actual game.

I asked some of the clowns I play with for pointers but they couldn't describe the process. I'm mainly interested in the proper technique and how you shift your weight/ use your edges, and/or any other tips and pointers, exercises or what have you. Thanks.

GrouperTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:39 AM
NJDwoot

I do not know what the looping roller stop is. Its sounds like you are asking for help with the hockey stop?

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:11 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
if you search the board for "hockey stop" lots of people have asked and got answer.

Bacisicly you just turn and sit to accomplish a stop.

playing B level hockey w/o being able to stop or use your edges is amazing! but then again you are playing in FLA and not Canada eh.

you really need to get more ice time (not game) to work on stops, edge work, and skating with your head up. try to find stick and puck rather than public skate if you can. Public skate is okay if that is all you can find but stick and puck will put you out on the ice with hockey players who you can watch and ask for tips.

The way I teach hockey stops to kids is:

Skate forward then turn in one skate so your blades look like this (see below)

| \ and sit into the stop then, / \ and sit into the stop again then, \ \ and sit into the stop

then

/ | sit, / / sit.

when I say sit I mean knees over your toes and butt down, not butt in the ice

good luck.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:00 AM
wearethegreek

practice putting a lead foot in front of you and turning on it while driving your feet into the ice downwards

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
DevilsFan38

I'm also a self-taught skater, one great resource is this book: Laura Stamm's Power Skating. Inexpensive, and a great resource. She goes into really great detail on how to use your edges, weight transfer, etc for everything you do in skating (forward stride, backward stride, stopping, crossovers). I highly recommend it.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:51 PM
GrouperTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDwoot View Post
I do not know what the looping roller stop is. Its sounds like you are asking for help with the hockey stop?
Yes the "hockey stop". The hockey stop doesn't work in roller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
playing B level hockey w/o being able to stop or use your edges is amazing! but then again you are playing in FLA and not Canada eh.

you really need to get more ice time (not game) to work on stops, edge work, and skating with your head up.
I can stop. It's just not the crisp "hockey stop". I can accomplish the stop at times, but I'd like to improve. Like I said I've played the game for a few years on inline skates, so the basics easily cross over. I've ice skated about 5 times in my life prior to playing my first ice hockey game. There's not a whole lot of difference. I even wear the same roller hockey pants .
Obviously, I'd love more ice time, but it is what it is. Thanks for the illustration I'll work on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
practice putting a lead foot in front of you and turning on it while driving your feet into the ice downwards
This is sort of how I've been doing it during pregame. Rotate on the toes, and drive with the heels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I'm also a self-taught skater, one great resource is this book: Laura Stamm's Power Skating. Inexpensive, and a great resource. She goes into really great detail on how to use your edges, weight transfer, etc for everything you do in skating (forward stride, backward stride, stopping, crossovers). I highly recommend it.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

GrouperTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:01 PM
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano

I'm self taught as well...learn to snow plow first, then once you can do that, just rotate hips to the left or right. This will lead to sideways hockey stops.

One side will be immediately easier to do than the other, so spend alot of time bringing the weaker side up to the level of the stronger. You cannot be caught in a game situation where you have to think and keep turning to one side to slow down/maneuver - it has to become instinctual so that you can go all out into a corner/scrum of players, and then stop on a dime.

Public skating, session after session - just wear sweat pants and a long-sleeve t-shirt, the gear will throw your balance off in the beginning.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:22 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
No clue if any of this will help but I'll just share my experiences.

The way I learned was to do a snow-plow (with feet like the / | people mentioned) but barely put pressure on the front foot (tilted one) and let it glide. Try to go fast, sit down a bit and see how long you can do a snowplow for with both blades flat on the ice, with the front foot doing the ice shaving, the longer the better. This helped me get comfortable with barely shaving the ice as well as helped with balance.

Then when it comes time to stop, I found I could do a snowplow, but swung my heel outward. Don't try and push it out, just let it slide like a snow plow and pivot that heel out. Basically sit down (as adaminnj explained above), lean back and swing your heel outward and viola.

It also helps me to keep my shoulders facing where I'm going. So you turn your feet/hips but keep your shoulders facing forward so you don't lose or throw off your momentum. After awhile you can get away with turning everything but this helped me from throwing my momentum to the side and losing balance. Remember to bend your knees as well! Good luck.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

pay $10 for public skate, go behind the goal line and practice. Watch out for the kids. If you can already stop, you should be able to really improve after a two hour session.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 04:52 AM
thefeebster

I had lessons when i was young, but had a long layover until today. I went to a public skate. At first it was amazing. Maybe 8 ADULTS, but 30 minutes into it, a flood a children came in and started cutting me off everywhere. Since i'm relatively new, still trying to get my bearings and having troubles stopping, it was quite frustrating. I don't want to hit them, but they were cutting into everyone's path with reckless abandon. I ended up body slamming the boards a few times and cursing afterwards. Embarassing for me and didn't really help me re-learn my weak edge cross overs. Watch out for them.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 05:56 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I had lessons when i was young, but had a long layover until today. I went to a public skate. At first it was amazing. Maybe 8 ADULTS, but 30 minutes into it, a flood a children came in and started cutting me off everywhere. Since i'm relatively new, still trying to get my bearings and having troubles stopping, it was quite frustrating. I don't want to hit them, but they were cutting into everyone's path with reckless abandon. I ended up body slamming the boards a few times and cursing afterwards. Embarassing for me and didn't really help me re-learn my weak edge cross overs. Watch out for them.
Kids are a doozy. Especially when they break out the chairs for them to skate with to find their balance. Thank gawd school is out.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:15 AM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouperTrooper View Post
Yes the "hockey stop". The hockey stop doesn't work in roller.
I can stop. It's just not the crisp "hockey stop". I can accomplish the stop at times, but I'd like to improve. Like I said I've played the game for a few years on inline skates, so the basics easily cross over. I've ice skated about 5 times in my life prior to playing my first ice hockey game. There's not a whole lot of difference. I even wear the same roller hockey pants .
Obviously, I'd love more ice time, but it is what it is. Thanks for the illustration I'll work on it.

This is sort of how I've been doing it during pregame. Rotate on the toes, and drive with the heels?

Thanks, I'll check it out.
sort of but you want to remember to try and use the whole blade. this will be one of those few times you actually will have the length of steel in contact with the ice at once, so you want to think about "shaving" ice with the whole blade. the turn and preparation of your legs and hips for the turn should be hard and sharp for a hockey stop..its actually easier to do with speed because then you can feel your momentum actually shifting when you do it right.

if you're going slow it's harder to "throw" your hips into it

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote