HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharp, Versteeg, Byfuglien

Old
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Versteeg actually played about half of Bolland's time hurt at C.

He was solid , Nothing special but he did play C this year

He can play either wing great and if needed can be a serviceable C when injuries occur

I think you are wrong on value though. I think Byfuglien will be cheapest one

Steeger I think will end up in Pittsburgh for there 1st rounder. I dont think the Pens can continue to try and plug in guys like Fedetnoko in there top 6 and get away with it. It hurt them this year
I wouldn't use him as a center, but like I said, I think his versatility is an asset.

I think the hype around Byfuglien's playoffs is going to drive his value higher than Versteeg's.

With Pittsburgh's prospect pool drying up considerably, I don't foresee them moving their 1st rounder. Consecutive SCF appearances, one cup win, and they were 1 game away from the ECF this year. I don't think they're looking to make any desperation moves.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I wouldn't use him as a center, but like I said, I think his versatility is an asset.

I think the hype around Byfuglien's playoffs is going to drive his value higher than Versteeg's.

With Pittsburgh's prospect pool drying up considerably, I don't foresee them moving their 1st rounder. Consecutive SCF appearances, one cup win, and they were 1 game away from the ECF this year. I don't think they're looking to make any desperation moves.
It wouldn't be a desperation move

Versteeg solves a glaring need (Weakness on Wing) and he is only gonna be 24 so he can become a part of there core , signed 2 more years at an affordable rate and is a RFA after those 2 years.

Pens give up an asset in there 1st but get a longterm solution at Wing

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
It wouldn't be a desperation move

Versteeg solves a glaring need (Weakness on Wing) and he is only gonna be 24 so he can become a part of there core , signed 2 more years at an affordable rate and is a RFA after those 2 years.

Pens give up an asset in there 1st but get a longterm solution at Wing
You're right. A poor choice of words on my part.

However, I think the Pens need to replenish their organizational depth, and more importantly, do it on the cheap. I think Versteeg is a great fit in Pittsburgh, but I think at this point that draft pick may be worth more to them than some folks will admit. It's not as if their current make-up has them struggling to make the playoffs.

Guess we'll see what happens, but I can certainly see the fit.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:35 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Sharpie playing OVER 1 PPG in these playoffs. 3.9 mill caphit. LOL if the Hawks are forced to move this guy.

Cap Fail

05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
nyr2417

if chicago calls and offers sharp for 2010 2nd rounder, 2011 3rd rounder, and sanguetti do you accept?

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:22 PM
ecemleafs

are the blackhawks financially well off enough that they could bury huet's cap hit in the AHL to keep their core together?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 04:27 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
are the blackhawks financially well off enough that they could bury huet's cap hit in the AHL to keep their core together?
I think everyone around the league is pretty much assuming one of Sharp/Versteeg/Byf will be out of town come next season

Old
05-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
I think Chicago would accept in a heartbeat but would the rangers?
I think numerous teams would out-bid that package for Sharp.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
if chicago calls and offers sharp for 2010 2nd rounder, 2011 3rd rounder, and sanguetti do you accept?
No. Why move a former 1st rounder with a very high ceiling + a 2nd rounder in a pretty good draft + a 3rd rounder next year for a 30 year old #2 center?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 05:22 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
No. Why move a former 1st rounder with a very high ceiling + a 2nd rounder in a pretty good draft + a 3rd rounder next year for a 30 year old #2 center?
I don't see sanguetti being anything more than a bottom pairing d-man and his ceiling is not that high. After all if his ceiling were that high he'd be in the nhl by now. the 2nd rounder is very valuable but im willing to give that up for sharp. If you think about it a 3rd is what fetched us boyle i am more than willing to give it up for sharp

Old
05-19-2010, 05:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I don't see sanguetti being anything more than a bottom pairing d-man and his ceiling is not that high. After all if his ceiling were that high he'd be in the nhl by now. the 2nd rounder is very valuable but im willing to give that up for sharp. If you think about it a 3rd is what fetched us boyle i am more than willing to give it up for sharp
Not all players develop at the same pace. Sanguinetti, offensively, was ready for the NHL pretty much right out of juniors. He needed to get a little stronger and work on his defense, which he has worked on, and I think he is more than ready to play this upcoming season. He is 22, not that old for a defenseman.

Old
05-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Sanguinetti has the potential to be a #2 defenseman. There's little doubt about that. The only question to be asked, is will he reach that high ceiling of his.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Sanguinetti has the potential to be a #2 defenseman. There's little doubt about that. The only question to be asked, is will he reach that high ceiling of his.
Even if he doesnt. There is nothing wrong with carving out a niche in the NHL as a #3 or #4 offensive defenseman. If this team wants to take another step forward, they will need more scoring not just from the forwards, but from the back-end as well.

Old
05-19-2010, 08:03 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
I'd carry Sanguinetti on my back to Chicago to make this deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Yes. They will likely bury him in Europe. They will still need to dump another substantial salary or two.

Quote:
Then you saw a bad game. No way in hell do I move Sanguinetti for Sharp who is about 30 and not a #1 center.
Sharp is 28 -- he will be 29 in December. And importantly (according to my friends in Philadelphia) he is a locker room leader.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Well there's the risk right? They wouldn't want salary back but picks and prospects could end up a total bust. Bobby Sangs hasnt proved anything at the NHL level. Sharp is playing ELITE hockey. Bonafide. When it matters the most.

I would give up Bobby Sangs and picks for Sharp if that's the best upgrade on the table for Sather.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Well there's the risk right? They wouldn't want salary back but picks and prospects could end up a total bust. Bobby Sangs hasnt proved anything at the NHL level. Sharp is playing ELITE hockey. Bonafide. When it matters the most.

I would give up Bobby Sangs and picks for Sharp if that's the best upgrade on the table for Sather.
I would agree if Sharp was a few years younger.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Sharp is 28 -- he will be 29 in December. And importantly (according to my friends in Philadelphia) he is a locker room leader.
I am not saying I wouldnt want Sharp. I am saying I wouldnt want to pay Sanguinetti + 2nd '10 for him. Sharp is not going to put this team over the edge and make them a cup contender.

I think very highly of Sanguinetti and I see him as a player who can be a part of this organization for a long time and help them both now and in the future. Considering this team isn't going to turn into a cup contender why move away players who will most likely be around by the time they are and can help towards that goal?

Old
05-19-2010, 11:25 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
I would agree if Sharp was a few years younger.
Before ya know it Henrik will be in the back 9....

the window is now.... go for it

Not saying sell the farm, but you have to give to get and we have some depth at D....That said I don't think Sharp is the missing maigical upgrade, but he could be a piece.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 06:39 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
i think this is a textbook exmaple of us rangers fans being spoiled by the likes of Marc Staal and Del Zotto

dmen dont typically come into the league like those two did..and im very happy that they haven't rushed or forced sangs up when he wasn't ready

the jury is still very much out on him, but if he ends up being able to be a 2nd pairing dmen it will be pretty huge for the rangers

we'll see this upcoming season....im guessing he'll have a shakey start as he adjusts to the speed of the NHL, based on how he looked when called up, but will warm up as the year goes on

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:22 AM
nyr2417

I was thinking about getting byf and I thought of many different ways that he will help our team. He is a huge body in front of the net on the pp and that would make our pp immediately better. Him being so big and hard to move po's dmen and while trying to move him they get frustrated and take penalties (except pronger who's been getting away with murder) I'm officially on the byf train

Old
06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I'd do that deal so fast for Sharp that all of the heads of the naysayers will spin. The guy is a 30 goal scorer that's good for 65 or so points per year.

Who besides Gaborik on this team got 65 points last season? Anyone? Bueller? Bottom line is if Sanguinetti isn't on the team by this coming season, he won't play one more game for the Rangers. May as well use him in a package to get a good player rather than lose him for an underpayment or for nothing at all.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I'd do that deal so fast for Sharp that all of the heads of the naysayers will spin. The guy is a 30 goal scorer that's good for 65 or so points per year.

Who besides Gaborik on this team got 65 points last season? Anyone? Bueller? Bottom line is if Sanguinetti isn't on the team by this coming season, he won't play one more game for the Rangers. May as well use him in a package to get a good player rather than lose him for an underpayment or for nothing at all.
Sharp has had 1 30+ goal season in his entire career and it was 2 years ago. That does not make him a 30 goal scorer. He is a good player, there is no denying that but to call him a 30 goal scorer is false.

Old
06-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Sharp has had 1 30+ goal season in his entire career and it was 2 years ago. That does not make him a 30 goal scorer. He is a good player, there is no denying that but to call him a 30 goal scorer is false.
Ok, he had a 25 goal season and a 26 goal season the past two years , one season of which he was injured and played only 61 games, and the other where he added 41 assists.

Point being, I think he would be a great fit on this team given his skill set and apparent leadership abilities and character quality. The fact he's at a point per game pace in the playoffs is very encouraging.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Ok, he had a 25 goal season and a 26 goal season the past two years , one season of which he was injured and played only 61 games, and the other where he added 41 assists.

Point being, I think he would be a great fit on this team given his skill set and apparent leadership abilities and character quality. The fact he's at a point per game pace in the playoffs is very encouraging.
I agree. Depending on the price he would be a good #2 center.

Old
06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I want 2 of them. Doesn't matter which 2, I'll take any combination

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote