HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharp, Versteeg, Byfuglien

Old
06-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
if chicago calls and offers sharp for 2010 2nd rounder, 2011 3rd rounder, and sanguetti do you accept?
Actually no.

At this point if we're ducking UFAs, and Kovalchuk seems less and less practical by the day, im trading for Byfuglein if nothing else.

Sue me, and I know he has a legit cap hit but I think this team could use him. Hes a presence in front of the net, much more than a Ryan Callahan. He is versatile, can play defense if we desperately need it.

I see a lineup of

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Byfuglien-Anisimov-MZA/Callahan
Avery-Drury-Weise/Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Shelley

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Girardi
Hamhuis-Sanguinetti/Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

as not enormously out of touch. if Hamhuis signs for 4 I think it works capwise in theory. Its a much grittier ranger lineup, for sure.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Actually no.

At this point if we're ducking UFAs, and Kovalchuk seems less and less practical by the day, im trading for Byfuglein if nothing else.

Sue me, and I know he has a legit cap hit but I think this team could use him. Hes a presence in front of the net, much more than a Ryan Callahan. He is versatile, can play defense if we desperately need it.

I see a lineup of

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Byfuglien-Anisimov-MZA/Callahan
Avery-Drury-Weise/Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Shelley

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Girardi
Hamhuis-Sanguinetti/Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

as not enormously out of touch. if Hamhuis signs for 4 I think it works capwise in theory. Its a much grittier ranger lineup, for sure.
Dustin's a good player. He won't make the impact that Sharp or a Versteeg would on the scoreboard, but he'll hold his own offensively. He would upgrade our top-6, and I think a big, skilled player like him would compliment Anisimov's game very well. At that $$$ though, he better bring it every night and score close to 20. Consistency is his issue. Some nights he floats.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:41 PM
nyr2417

don't overlook the other stuff that byf brings to the ice. although it may not go down as an assist his big ass screening the goalie would do wonders for gaboriks snipe game. Byf will directly effect the game by just being in front of the net

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Vidic15*

Dustin Byfuglien is a top six forward now? It's amazing what the media can tell people to think nowadays. I feel like I'm in Nazi Germany sometimes.

2009-10 Chicago NHL 82 17 17 34
2008-09 Chicago NHL 77 15 16 31
2007-08 Chicago NHL 67 19 17 36

Vidic15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Dustin Byfuglien is a top six forward now? It's amazing what the media can tell people to think nowadays. I feel like I'm in Nazi Germany sometimes.

He plays top 6 on the team that is about to win the Stanley cup, I think i'll be okay.

Not every top 6 player needs to pot 20 goals, thats just an hfboards wet dream.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:50 PM
nyr2417

how do you think byf would work on a line with gaborik?

Old
06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Vidic15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He plays top 6 on the team that is about to win the Stanley cup, I think i'll be okay.

Not every top 6 player needs to pot 20 goals, thats just an hfboards wet dream.
You're right. When you have Dustin surrounded by Toews, Kane, Sharp, and Hossa he doesn't need to pot 20 goals. We need more scorers, then we can compliment them with some grinders.

Old
06-01-2010, 12:58 PM
nyr2417

on a sidenote i'm just waiting for pronger and byf to drop the gloves, i don't see pronger doing it because he logs like 30 min. a night and is way too valuable to his team

Old
06-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

Media? What the hell does the media have anything to do with this? How, or When did they tell us Dustin's a top-6 player?

I determined he was a top-6 player because of his skillset, size, and intangibles. Media has nothing to do with my opinion on Dustin.

Quote:
You're right. When you have Dustin surrounded by Toews, Kane, Sharp, and Hossa he doesn't need to pot 20 goals. We need more scorers, then we can compliment them with some grinders.
Dustin's more than a grinder. And if he wasn't a top-6 player, why is he playing over more talented guys like Versteeg? Don't overlook, or ignore chemistry. Byf on a line with Gabs, Anisimov, Callahan, or Dubinsky would like good.

The real question here would be, is he the best choice for our team? And how much will we have to give up to acquire him?

I honestly don't know if he's the best choice. I think Steeg and Sharp would have more of a noticable impact on our team, due to the way it's been constructed.

Steeg scares me a bit, because I can totally picture him coming here and flopping. Sharp I like the most, but he'd be a 2 year rental.

I'd probably consider someone like Wheeler before Byfuglien, but would welcome both guys if we didn't overpay to acquire them.

Old
06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Vidic15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Dustin's more than a grinder. And if he wasn't a top-6 player, why is he playing over more talented guys like Versteeg? Don't overlook, or ignore chemistry. Byf on a line with Gabs, Anisimov, Callahan, or Dubinsky would like good.

The real question here would be, is he the best choice for our team? And how much will we have to give up to acquire him?

I honestly don't know if he's the best choice. I think Steeg and Sharp would have more of a noticable impact on our team, due to the way it's been constructed.

Steeg scares me a bit, because I can totally picture him coming here and flopping. Sharp I like the most, but he'd be a 2 year rental.

I'd probably consider someone like Wheeler before Byfuglien, but would welcome both guys if we didn't overpay to acquire them.
Dustin is playing in the top six because the Hawks have more than enough scoring depth to compliment him on the top two lines. If Dustin comes here and plays well with Gaborik, so what? Where the hell is our scoring depth?

I don't know the logic behind you being more scared about Versteeg coming here (not that I want him here). Based on the last two seasons, Versteeg has scored more goals and points than Dustin.

If Dustin hadn't scored some timely goals and been featured by NBC because of the Pronger matchup, we wouldn't even be talking about this 17 career high goalscorer. Max Talbot scored some timely goals for Pittsburgh in last year's playoffs. I guess we should get him, too.

Old
06-01-2010, 02:55 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
I'd kill to have sharp at your offer but I don't think Chicago would go for that.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:37 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

He's a top 6 player on a stanley cup finalist, pushing Versteeg out of the top 6.

It's not all about stats, and the fact that he can put up ~20 goals and provide that physical edge, element of a power forward to the lineup makes him well worth it if you're not overpaying to get him.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
He's a top 6 player on a stanley cup finalist, pushing Versteeg out of the top 6.

It's not all about stats, and the fact that he can put up ~20 goals and provide that physical edge, element of a power forward to the lineup makes him well worth it if you're not overpaying to get him.
We have a player like that, in Callahan.

Not a great goalscorer, not a playmaker, but provides so much good in various aspects of the game, that you have to play him over his peers.

Lisin is 10X more talented, and skilled than Callahan. But that doesn't make him the better hockey player. I think a similar argument can be made for Dustin. It's not just his point total, but everything else he does along the way. He creates room for his players. And when his players create opportunity's for him, he's shown he can finish.

Even when guys like Callahan, and Byfuglien are not scoring, they're still making a difference on the scoreboard. Those are the kind of hockey players I want on my team, even though we do have a more glaring need for a legit finisher/playmaker, than another two-way player that can play a physical game.

There's so much more to hockey than points. A lot of the dirty work that guys like Byfuglien do, benefit their teammates, and create opportunity's.

Our team last season couldn't score. We couldn't create either. We were pretty docile up front as well. Byfuglien can help all three of those areas.

Old
06-01-2010, 05:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Rangers shouldn't target either of these players, not when you consider our depth chart or cap situation...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote