HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Patrick Thoresen - back to Philadelphia?

Old
05-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
One thing I've pointed out for a while is that while Nodl has looked pretty rough around the edges when called up in the past, he's developed his physicality, his boardwork, and his defensive game at the AHL level.

His offensive touch seems to have vanished, and I think now that it's gone for good.

However, he's slowly turning into a very good 3rd line checker. If he's capable of 30 points next to Giroux and JVR, I consider him sold.
Maybe, it's difficult to judge really because Boston wasn't particularly dangerous at creating offense for much of the series. Even when they were scoring goals it was a lot of random bounces and the like just ending up in the back of the net.

The problem with Nodl before was he was just getting flat abused defensively at the NHL level. As noted, he looked light years better on that front against Boston, but I'm not sure I'm sold on that front from 7 games against the worst offensive team in the league...missing one of their best offensive player this year after the first period of Game 3.

I was impressed with his physical edge, but if we're still going with Giroux/JVR as our third line setup next year, then I think you need to find someone that will complement them offensively...and hopefully a vet presence. I'm not sure you need to saddle them with a young player like Nodl as they're maturing into the important players we expect them to be. I'm not sure what UFAs are out there, but a Guerin-like signing would be ideal for their wing if that's what we're going to do.

I would still prefer a two-way center, with modest offensive ability and good faceoff skills.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 01:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Maybe, it's difficult to judge really because Boston wasn't particularly dangerous at creating offense for much of the series. Even when they were scoring goals it was a lot of random bounces and the like just ending up in the back of the net.

The problem with Nodl before was he was just getting flat abused defensively at the NHL level. As noted, he looked light years better on that front against Boston, but I'm not sure I'm sold on that front from 7 games against the worst offensive team in the league...missing one of their best offensive player this year after the first period of Game 3.

I was impressed with his physical edge, but if we're still going with Giroux/JVR as our third line setup next year, then I think you need to find someone that will complement them offensively...and hopefully a vet presence. I'm not sure you need to saddle them with a young player like Nodl as they're maturing into the important players we expect them to be. I'm not sure what UFAs are out there, but a Guerin-like signing would be ideal for their wing if that's what we're going to do.

I would still prefer a two-way center, with modest offensive ability and good faceoff skills.
Actually. You're right. I think I agree that a veteran might be a better way to go on a Giroux-JVR line.

I also would like a skilled faceoff 3rd line center, but I'm not so sure the organization is going to go after one.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Actually. You're right. I think I agree that a veteran might be a better way to go on a Giroux-JVR line.

I also would like a skilled faceoff 3rd line center, but I'm not so sure the organization is going to go after one.
Recchi plays RW. Just saying. He also played for a $1.7M cap hit this past season. Think I might want him for cheaper than that (it was $1M guaranteed w/ $700K bonus), but if he still wants to play he's clearly still got the ability to compete at this level.

Old
05-16-2010, 02:10 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 4800
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I like Thoresen, but unfortunately he's got no place here.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 02:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 02:15 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Recchi plays RW. Just saying. He also played for a $1.7M cap hit this past season. Think I might want him for cheaper than that (it was $1M guaranteed w/ $700K bonus), but if he still wants to play he's clearly still got the ability to compete at this level.
Two real options I guess:

Move Giroux to RW with Gagne and Richards, and sign a vet 3rd line C (Cullen/Koivu/Madden/etc)

Keep Giroux at C, and get a vet RW( Recchi/Lehtinen/Nolan/etc)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 02:51 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I could see Madden here.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:00 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I could see Madden here.
I would love Saku Koivu.

Old
05-16-2010, 03:18 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I would love Saku Koivu.
Him too.

Anyone else out there we could use?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:28 PM
BringBackStevens

I love Thor, but the only way he ends up here is if he signs a cheap contract. He is an upgrade of some degree over Nodl and Kalinski at this point in their careers, but not enough to justify say another 300k

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 03:58 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Him too.

Anyone else out there we could use?
Koivu, Cullen, Lombardi... maybe Belanger?

Old
05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
mirimon

Saku Koivu was one of my favourite players growing up,and I would be absolutely thrilled to see him with us, but I don't think it's likely. He's coming off a pretty solid season in which he made 3+ million. I think we'll be outbid since we can't exactly throw money around.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 04:21 PM
billandsebastian

Quote:
Two real options I guess:

Move Giroux to RW with Gagne and Richards, and sign a vet 3rd line C (Cullen/Koivu/Madden/etc)

Keep Giroux at C, and get a vet RW( Recchi/Lehtinen/Nolan/etc)
Gagne - Richards - Leino
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
JvR - Giroux - Recchi
Lappy - Betts - Carcillo

There's no way that works cap-wise though I am assuming (unless we somehow get Recchi for Asham price). We'd probably have to move Hartnell or Briere.

Gagne - Richards - Leino
JvR - Carter - Briere
(Phantom or FA) - Giroux - Recchi
Lappy - Betts - Carcillo

Still squeal-worthy.

billandsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2010, 04:24 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandsebastian View Post
Gagne - Richards - Leino
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
JvR - Giroux - Recchi
Lappy - Betts - Carcillo

There's no way that works cap-wise though I am assuming (unless we somehow get Recchi for Asham price). We'd probably have to move Hartnell or Briere.

Gagne - Richards - Leino
JvR - Carter - Briere
(Phantom or FA) - Giroux - Recchi
Lappy - Betts - Carcillo

Still squeal-worthy.
I think Recchi wants to stay with the Bruins. Also, I think we should also give Legein and Testwuide a chance to make the roster next season, and both would be great 3rd line right wingers who can score. I'd say the best bets at center are Cullen, Koivu or Lombardi, both don't cost too much and had at least 40 to 50+ points this season.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think Recchi wants to stay with the Bruins. Also, I think we should also give Legein and Testwuide a chance to make the roster next season, and both would be great 3rd line right wingers who can score. I'd say the best bets at center are Cullen, Koivu or Lombardi, both don't cost too much and had at least 40 to 50+ points this season.
Ah, they'd be rookies...and likely have rookie struggles. See, JVR.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Ah, they'd be rookies...and likely have rookie struggles. See, JVR.
That's normal. But still, it would be nice for them to develop in the NHL, all players have to go to through this.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
That's normal. But still, it would be nice for them to develop in the NHL, all players have to go to through this.
No, you develop 'em in the AHL, that's why you have that team. If they make the team, they make the team... and if they're good enough in the team's estimation that they should be in the NHL, then fair enough. But the NHL is not a development league, and we'll be trying to win a Cup next year. If they have a shot at signing a "sure thing" to a contract that makes sense.... you do it.

Old
05-16-2010, 05:22 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
No, you develop 'em in the AHL, that's why you have that team. If they make the team, they make the team... and if they're good enough in the team's estimation that they should be in the NHL, then fair enough. But the NHL is not a development league, and we'll be trying to win a Cup next year. If they have a shot at signing a "sure thing" to a contract that makes sense.... you do it.
Do you think Legein has had enough time? I know he can score and is fast, but do you think he could be a 3rd liner for us next year?

Old
05-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Do you think Legein has had enough time? I know he can score and is fast, but do you think he could be a 3rd liner for us next year?
Maybe?

However, if I'm constructing the NHL team and can sign a vet I can count on for 20ish goals... that's who I'm going with given the stage this team is at. The young guys will get their chances with injuries and the like, but "developing" players should be the last concern this team has at the NHL level next year.

Old
06-01-2010, 10:30 AM
gorgos

According to Norwegian TV2, Thor has cancelled his contract in Russia, and he is ready for a return to the NHL.

http://msn.tv2sporten.no/ishockey/th...t-3219755.html

His agent says that several NHL-clubs has shown intrest, but the have to wait and see what the Flyers do. According to Patrick, the Flyers' focus is naturally on the finals and they will make a desicion regarding players and $ when the season is finished.

Thor has previously said that he would prefer to return to Philly.

gorgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:39 AM
HoverCarle*

He is better than Asham

Old
06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
He is better than Asham
I would welcome back Thor if he was willing to take a Asham like contract.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Not sure what i think on this, im a huge asham fan

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Terence Peterman

Patrick Thoreson doesn't come from Norway, he comes from the Department of Redundancy Department, no matter who is on this team.

The only benefit he could possibly provide is taking something around league minimum, but even then the team could arguably be hindering a younger player's development.

Last edited by Terence Peterman: 06-01-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:40 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

why?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote