HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Sign F Anton Rodin

Old
06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but... Rodin is.. eligible to play in the AHL (because he obviously wasn't drafted out of the CHL) but could still play in the CHL (not as an overager) and is too old to play in the World Junior?
All of that is correct. He's 19 (turning 20 later this year, so he is too old for the WJC) but he could play as an overager in the WHL. However, given the unlikely possibility of a team burning both an overager and an import spot on the same player, I think it's down to SEL vs. AHL for Rodin. And given the Canucks were a bit vocal about their disappointment with Rodin's lack of ice time in the SEL, I think the smart money is on the Canucks trying to get Rodin to Winnipeg.

As far as whether or not the Canucks would have taken him in the first round, I think the articles posted at least paint the possibility the Canucks could have done just that. Maybe it would have been a tough decision between him and another player had Schroeder not dropped, but the Canucks were at least considering the notion.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
He is saying that just because the Canucks had Rodin ranked in the first round doesn't mean they would have taken him if Schroeder wasn't available. Rodin could have been the Canucks 30th ranked player for all we know.
That is exactly what I am saying.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:07 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
What part of Mike Gillis saying "we had Rodin in the first round" is inconclusive?
The way I read that is Gillis gave Rodin a 1st round grade, not necessarily that he was going to pick him.

Obviously MG also "had" Schroeder in the first round. What we don't know is whether MG had anyone ranked between JS and AR and whether they would have been available if JS wasn't.

On a side note, I wonder what the impression of Rodin would be right now if he had been taken with our #1.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
On a side note, I wonder what the impression of Rodin would be right now if he had been taken with our #1.
At the time, I'd probably have been annoyed. In 05, 06 and 07 we had made picks that were a bit of a stretch for their position. Bourdon(RIP), Grabner(pegged a little lower than he went) and White(hindsight being 20/20 and he wasn't too badly rated, but still pegged a little lower than he went). Grabner had yet to show anything at the NHL level, White was busting badly and Bourdon, unfortunately, will never have a chance to show what he could do.

Had Gillis gone "off the board" again with a 1st rounder while there were still, IMO, some prospects available who will be/are better than Rodin, I'd have been mad. I'm extremely glad Rodin was our 2nd round pick, but I don't know if I would have used a 1st on him. Probably not, in retrospect.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:14 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
I hope Shirokov stays in North America. The Moose will be fun fun fun next year.

Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin, Shirokov, Connauton, Sauve...

Tons of young talent shaping up to be on that team. I can't remember a time we've had this many real legit young prospects in the pipeline. I'm excited to add another in the 1st round this year. Gillis has done a great job drafting so far, it looks like.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:18 PM
God
Free Citizen

You'll all look back on this thread in shame when every Gillis draft pick busts. Then what? THEN WHAT?

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
You'll all look back on this thread in shame when every Gillis draft pick busts. Then what? THEN WHAT?
Then we will eat Gillis

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:27 PM
IComeInPeace

Good signing.

He looks like a cross b/w Stefi Graf and Peter Forsberg (or Forsberg's sister).

So what is his size rumored to be now?

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:37 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Then, personally I'd admit I was wrong...but it's honestly the first time since I've followed the Canucks that they've had a succession of legitimate prospects that have managed to achieve success following their draft year.

Nonis had a bad habit of infuriatingly going off the board for players that could have been selected with later picks...Ellington, White. Though, relative to his mentor he looked like a draft day genius.
Burke couldn't draft his way out of a wet paper bag...even when he did manage to make a good selection, his pigheaded ego got in the way. (Umberger) Burke's draft history is an abomination...

How you can fail to gain an NHL prospect from an entire draft, not once but multiple times is beyond me. I sometimes wonder if he actively chose to select players who wouldn't make it, to save money or something....Yes his Sedin swindle is worthy, as is Kesler, but beyond that...wow.

No wonder he was shown the door..good riddance.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
That seems like a pretty awful article all around.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
*snip*
Nonis had a bad habit of infuriatingly going off the board for players that could have been selected with later picks...Ellington, White. Though, relative to his mentor he looked like a draft day genius.
Burke couldn't draft his way out of a wet paper bag...even when he did manage to make a good selection, his pigheaded ego got in the way. (Umberger) Burke's draft history is an abomination... *Snip*
It's a good thing Toronto doesn't have to worry about drafting any time soon.

On topic:
It would be ideal for Rodin to play in Manitoba next year not just so he can adapt to the North American style but with so many of our prospects playing on the Moose next year, getting a chance to form some chemistry with probable future Nucks would be great.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
I guess he'll play for the Moose. Out of curiosity who owns his CHL rights?
Don't think anyone answered that...nobody does, he was passed over in the import draft last year. So unless somebody takes him in this year's draft (at the end of this month), an overage CHL year is out.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:25 PM
demonic

He looks like that smartass kid from Home Improvement

demonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Ernie

Alexander Skarsgård

in a couple years maybe?

I think there will be some little girls very happy about this signing.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:36 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic View Post
He looks like that smartass kid from Home Improvement

ROFL

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Meganuck*

Are the Canucks feeding him Growth Hormones? He grew about 2 or more inches.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:59 PM
StrictlyCommercial

The deadline referred to was the transfer window from the SEL. It closes on June 15th. (I think, although the province is probably right)

edit: Scratch that the province is totally wrong. The June 1st deadline is only for 2008 draftees. I remain sure the transfer window is open til June 15th.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:23 PM
fuzzay

Send a message via MSN to fuzzay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Are the Canucks feeding him Growth Hormones? He grew about 2 or more inches.
Rodin is still a kid. By average, we stop growing at about 20 - 21.

I was 5'11" when I graduated High School, I'm 6'1" now.

fuzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
The deadline referred to was the transfer window from the SEL. It closes on June 15th. (I think, although the province is probably right)

edit: Scratch that the province is totally wrong. The June 1st deadline is only for 2008 draftees. I remain sure the transfer window is open til June 15th.
In the future, it's probably safer to assume this as a general rule. I remember emailing the editor to correct a pretty ridiculously obvious mistake (I think it was regarding Wellwoods RFA status) and getting a snarky reply about deadlines and a sarcastic thank-you.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Coincidentally, there was a press conference today announcing a hockey hockey summit in the summer where the issue of improving the women's game will be discussed.

Is this person a key piece in the validity of women's hockey puzzle?

Was the the advert i got on that page. What does that mean...

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:35 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

EDIT John heder from blades of glory

Last edited by me2: 06-01-2010 at 10:56 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Good. Hopefully Gillis can keep developing a steady stream of cheap top 6 forwards.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I'm real excited about Rodin. I think he's going to be a great top six scoring winger when he hits his peak. I'm also excited about him because I've been very enthused by Gillis's drafting. I also love that we got both Schroeder and Rodin that draft. Next year in Manitoba is going to rock

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:05 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Good. Hopefully Gillis can keep developing a steady stream of cheap top 6 forwards.
I'm hoping for a top 4 D prospect in about 3 weeks.

I'm stoked on Connauton and Sauve's chances of being NHL regular's one day, but it'd be nice to add a 1st rounder to that mix.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:08 PM
God Bless Canada

I watched him play a WJC pre-tournament game against the Swiss in Weyburn, Sask., and in the Swedes' WJC opener against the Czechs. Now, we have to keep in mind the circumstances (a pre-tournament game, and a tournament game against the worst Czech team in years), but I was impressed with the kid's talent. I had forgotten he was a Canucks prospect, and I went into those games to watch Tedenby, Paajarvi-Svensson, Markstrom, Josefson, and the glut of talented Swedish defencemen. I came away really impressed with Rodin.

I think he'll be best-served with another year in Sweden. Then bring him over.

He's one of several quality young forwards in our system. If his game translates well to North American ice, he could be a productive secondary scorer.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote