HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Lecavalier is available, would you trade for him?

Old
06-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Drive425

vCash: 500
I'd rather have Iginla. Then we'd have Gomex & Gionta and Iginla & Cami!! Ya, it's a dream but Sutter has been making some strange deals lately. You never know!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
Actually you are wrong! This team has historically performed at a much higher level when they automatically had the rights on any player born in Quebec, and could therefore build teamw with the likes of Cournoyer, the Richard brothers, Beliveau, Lafleur, Savard, Lapointe, Geoffrion, Bouchard, Plante, etc. And it had nothing to do with language or nationality, it had to do with talent. When you have first dibs on any player ranging from a specific territory (whether it's Qc, Ontario, BC), you will get a kick ass team, especially when there's only 6, 10 or 12 teams in the entire league. Correlation does NOT imply causation...

People like you give Quebecois a bad rep everywhere...
Not a single one of the players you listed was selected using territorial rights. Please stop spreading silly myths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
game, set, match!
Not really, no.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I'd rather have Iginla. Then we'd have Gomex & Gionta and Iginla & Cami!! Ya, it's a dream but Sutter has been making some strange deals lately. You never know!
This would definitely be my #1 choice, but Sutter said he's keeing Iggy, Sadly.

Old
06-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
Lecavalier has one of the absolute worst contracts in the NHL right now and is, without a doubt, the most overrated player in Montreal media. If such a trade were to happen, people would expect Lemieux in his prime and would be terribly disappointed. People have created a savior-like character named Vincent Lecavalier, and there happens to be a good NHL center named Vincent Lecavalier. But these are two seperate entities.

I do not want him on our team, and I think Tampa will have to swallow that cap hit for a long time. Even Dipietro's contract is only a 4.5M cap hit (Yashin's buyout next year is worse for that matter at 4,755M)... Lecavalier is signed for an eternity, with a high cap hit all along and is front-loaded with a ridiculous amount for the next 7 years if I'm not mistaken. What was the point of that contract?
The Legend of Vinny

This thread is the best. Lots of laughs

Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Like the other posters said 9 years is too much.

Where will YOU be in 2019?

Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Like the other posters said 9 years is too much.

Where will YOU be in 2019?
It's 11 years!

I explained in another post why I think it's not the end of the world.

And look at chicago: they're about to get screwed by the Huet and Campbell contracts, but do you think they really care? They're in the cup final leading 2 games to none. They'll suffer through the rest of the contracts for 2(3?) years and then get right back on the horse.

Old
06-01-2010, 08:54 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Michel Lacroix: The Starting lineup, L'alligemenet de depart... Le Numero 21 number 21 Brian Giiionnttaaaa , Le numero 91 number 91 Scott Go-MEZ, le Numero (idk what his # in mtl would be ) Number -
Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla.

That would be freackin'Epic no lies lol..

If Iggy is free, i take him. No doubt on that. Hes a leader that scores hits and does basicaly anything.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:19 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
It's 11 years!

I explained in another post why I think it's not the end of the world.

And look at chicago: they're about to get screwed by the Huet and Campbell contracts, but do you think they really care? They're in the cup final leading 2 games to none. They'll suffer through the rest of the contracts for 2(3?) years and then get right back on the horse.
Its another 10 years.

The more I think about this deal I realize its actually not that bad(unless we overpay). If Vinny retires around 36-37 the cap hit gets eliminated.

Say we dump Hamrlik somewhere

Then we offer Tampa Bay:

Halak + Weber + rights to Plekanec + 1st round pick 2010 + 1st round pick 2011 + 3rd 2010
for
Lecavalier + 1st round pick( #6 overall)

Cammy(6)-Lecavalier(7.7)-A.Kostitsyn(3.25)
Gionta(5)-Gomez(7.3)-Pouliot(.800)
Moen(1.5)-Moore(1.3)-Lapierre(.800)
Pyatt(.800)-Metro(1)-White(.850)
Maxwell(.850)
Darche(.600)
Laraque(.500) Total: 38.25 million

Markov(5.75)-Subban(.850)
Spacek(3.8)-O'Byrne(.942)
Gorges(1.1)-Gill(2.225)
UFA(1) Total: ~16 million

Price(2.66)
UFA(1.1)

Total: 58 million (Cap goes up by 2 million)
We have .800 in cap space

We have no big raises coming up so it can work

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Miller Time

I'd trade for him, but only if it were for Gomez, either straight up or with a pick in the 3rd round or later...

Lecavalier, imo, is poised for a bounce back year next season, and i put my money on him returning to the 90-100pt plateau, playing at a level amongst the top players in the league.

People are so quick to write him off because of 2 "down" years, but in both seasons he spent considerable portions of his summer rehabing from surgery. He came into both years a step behind, and struggled to find his "A" game.

He's healthy this summer, and with the back-to-back disappointing seasons and the Olympic "snub" (even if he didn't deserve to be there, I'm sure he's still burning at being left off), I'm betting he has one of his best offseasons ever, and comes into the season ready to light it up.

in any case, even in sub-par seasons, Lecavalier is far more bang for the buck than Gomez is, and with our roster, he'd be a much better fit.

the contract is crazy long, but building around lecavalier for the next 4-5 seasons is a far better option than building around gomez (which simply isn't a possibility). If a player is going to eat up that kind of chunk of your budget, he needs to be a focal point, not a support/complementary player... unless your the blackhawks and you have 3-4 other star young players at the same position, making far less due to being on rfa contracts (campbell-keith-seabrook-hjarmalsson).

but unless we are sending gomez the other way, or we are sending gomez somewhere else without taking burdensome salary back, a one-for-one trade is the only way it would be worth getting him.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Its another 10 years.

The more I think about this deal I realize its actually not that bad(unless we overpay). If Vinny retires around 36-37 the cap hit gets eliminated.

Say we dump Hamrlik somewhere

Then we offer Tampa Bay:

Halak + Weber + rights to Plekanec + 1st round pick 2010 + 1st round pick 2011 + 3rd 2010
for
Lecavalier + 1st round pick( #6 overall)
You're right, it is 11! I've been shouting 11 years since last summer, I guess I need to update my arguments.

While I like your proposal, I don't think it works for Tampa. Either they try to build with what they have and keep Lecavalier and trade their 6th, or they rebuild, trading him but keeping the pick. I don't think they trade both, since it sends them in both directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I'd trade for him, but only if it were for Gomez, either straight up or with a pick in the 3rd round or later...

Lecavalier, imo, is poised for a bounce back year next season, and i put my money on him returning to the 90-100pt plateau, playing at a level amongst the top players in the league.

People are so quick to write him off because of 2 "down" years, but in both seasons he spent considerable portions of his summer rehabing from surgery. He came into both years a step behind, and struggled to find his "A" game.

He's healthy this summer, and with the back-to-back disappointing seasons and the Olympic "snub" (even if he didn't deserve to be there, I'm sure he's still burning at being left off), I'm betting he has one of his best offseasons ever, and comes into the season ready to light it up.

in any case, even in sub-par seasons, Lecavalier is far more bang for the buck than Gomez is, and with our roster, he'd be a much better fit.

the contract is crazy long, but building around lecavalier for the next 4-5 seasons is a far better option than building around gomez (which simply isn't a possibility). If a player is going to eat up that kind of chunk of your budget, he needs to be a focal point, not a support/complementary player... unless your the blackhawks and you have 3-4 other star young players at the same position, making far less due to being on rfa contracts (campbell-keith-seabrook-hjarmalsson).

but unless we are sending gomez the other way, or we are sending gomez somewhere else without taking burdensome salary back, a one-for-one trade is the only way it would be worth getting him.

Yes I agree that he's poised for a comeback. It could be quite the steal. His value has never been lower than now. Although that might also make them more hesitant to trade him.

Assuming that his injuries aren't worse than what we've heard. It would be nice to get an update on his condition.

Last edited by Habitant#1: 06-01-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: syntax fail
Old
06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
JayBee*

Don't want. His contract is an albatross. Only way it works is if Gomez gets traded and to tell you the truth I'd take Gomez right now. I think he's better bang for the puck when you think about what he brings to the team.... There, I said it... I think Vinny is overrated and his contract sucks.

I'd much rather Mr. Iginla

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:56 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
You're right, it is 11! I've been shouting 11 years since last summer, I guess I need to update my arguments.

While I like your proposal, I don't think it works for Tampa. Either they try to build with what they have and keep Lecavalier and trade their 6th, or they rebuild, trading him but keeping the pick. I don't think they trade both, since it sends them in both directions.

Yes I agree that he's poised for a comeback. It could be quite the steal. His value has never been lower than now. Although that might also make them more hesitant to trade him.

Assuming that his injuries aren't worse than what we've heard. It would be nice to get an update on his condition.
He says he's 100% now, he loves Tampa, isn't planning to leave, has a new family member, a big house on the water, a Ferrari, his own wing in a hospital and looking forward to playing with better linemates next season.....anything else?

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Can't believe there's another Lecavalier thread..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
He says he's 100% now, he loves Tampa, isn't planning to leave, has a new family member, a big house on the water, a Ferrari, his own wing in a hospital and looking forward to playing with better linemates next season.....anything else?
Yes, everyone knows Lecavalier is happy in Tampa and in an ideal world he'd stay there and the team would be competitive. But the team isn't, so that's why questions are being raised.

Now all we need to know is what Yzerman has planned for the team. Is he planning on being competitive right next season with what he's got or does he want to go for a full on youth movement. Who knows if Lecavalier is in the plans or not, especially considering his 10M salary and their internal budget.

Old
06-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I'm very doubtfull about Kovalchuk's desire to play in NHL again. He can afford a big juicy contract in KHL, in his own country, and he's a lot different from Ovechkin. Ovie love the show, love the game, Kovy is the typical russian player. Plus he wants to play in a team who could win the cup right now. So goodbye Montreal, it will never happen.
Time will tell if what you say is true but from what I've seen or heard from him I dont think his goal is to play in the KHL and float while earning big bucks. He's one of my favorite players and I've watched him both with the Devils and Thrashers.

On your point regarding playing with a team that could win the cup right now, what better way to argue this point then offer him one of the last 4 teams to be eliminated from the playoffs. Considering how we got as far as we did, we might not have won the cup but we made the hockey world understand that we could. With him in the lineup its a whole new level of confidence.

Lets dream a little :

Kovalchuk - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Lombardi - Pouliot
Lapierre - Moore - Armstrong
Moen - Metropolit - Pyatt

Markov - Subban
Gill - Gorges
O'Byrne-Spacek
Weber/Yemelin

Price
Biron

Metro is probably gone but cant think of an alternative right now, one of our Bulldogs could graduate.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Well, I know about Hossa. This was probably the only way the Hawks could fit him in. Also, I wasn't trying to say that the guy absolutely had to be drafted by the team. Still, it's the type of contract you wanna give to a Markov or maybe to a Gorges in a few years. You wanna sign him long term after he's already given a lot to his organization.
Why? If a player is great, then sign him to whatever years it may be. Money talks in this day and age. And winning games. Not fidelity. Taken at the same age, I would sign Kovalchuk for 10 to 12 years over Markov any day of the week. I don't care if we drafted Markov.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Can't believe there's another Lecavalier thread..
For sure and once he retires there will be threads on him being the Head Coach or GM of this team!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Lecavalier has over 50 assists in his two best seasons, I think he's certainly able to pass the puck. Of course he's not as good as Gomez, but it's not like he's uncapable.

Also, as a scoring centre, he'll take more shots on net than Gomez does, which generates rebounds for goal scorers like Gionta. And the fact that he's huge and goes to the net will make it harder for goalies to stop our scorers.

So there are other ways to help scoring wingers than being a good playmaker.

Yes, thank you. That's one of the things I was trying to say in my convoluted post. The Lecavalier of the last two seasons has only been marginally superior to both our centres, though still better than anything we've had at centre in years. But if he bounces back even marginally (which I believe he will) he becomes a 35-40 goal centre. He just turned 30, he might even have another 100 point season in him!

I don't think he's a saviour, but I think he's something we should definitely inquire about. Let's see what Yzerman wants, and this might turn out into the perfect buy low scenario.

Although I predict the credibility Yzerman brings will convince Lecavalier to stay, but really who knows.
Hell if even Vinny is only the equal of Gomez in points, I would still take Vinny because of his size and dedication.

As for dealing for him, I would offer Gomez AND Andrei Kostitsyn to make sure the deal goes through. As Vinny still has greater value than Gomez in this league and you would have to dangle a carrot for Tampa to bite. Maybe it's because i'm not a fan of Andrei but at this point he's easily expendable, especially if we make trades to get other forwards or we sign UFAs or young guys gratuate.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Hell if even Vinny is only the equal of Gomez in points, I would still take Vinny because of his size and dedication.

As for dealing for him, I would offer Gomez AND Andrei Kostitsyn to make sure the deal goes through. As Vinny still has greater value than Gomez in this league and you would have to dangle a carrot for Tampa to bite. Maybe it's because i'm not a fan of Andrei but at this point he's easily expendable, especially if we make trades to get other forwards or we sign UFAs or young guys gratuate.
Vinnie's dedication?? He's never struck me as a guy that was prticularly dedicated. I'd even go sofar as to label him a chronic underachiever.

If TB would take Gomez and AK, I'm sure the Habs could also dangle a 1st and a decent young player(other than Price Subban or Halak).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Vinnie's dedication?? He's never struck me as a guy that was prticularly dedicated. I'd even go sofar as to label him a chronic underachiever.

If TB would take Gomez and AK, I'm sure the Habs could also dangle a 1st and a decent young player(other than Price Subban or Halak).
You'd give Gomez, AK, 1st and... who? Gorges? Kristo? Leblanc? MaxPac? for Lecavalier? But you just said he was a chronic underachiever

Unless you were being sarcastic...

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
You'd give Gomez, AK, 1st and... who? Gorges? Kristo? Leblanc? MaxPac? for Lecavalier? But you just said he was a chronic underachiever

Unless you were being sarcastic...
I said THE HABS might do that, not me. I'm sure they would overpay even with the brutal cap situation.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I said THE HABS might do that, not me. I'm sure they would overpay even with the brutal cap situation.
Oh! I see. Sure hope not.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

dedication is definitely the wrong word here.....watch his dedication on the back check, going into his own end...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I wouldn't even trade Gomez one for one for Lecavalier just because Montreal would be stuck with that ciontract for 10 years! 8 mil cap hit for 10 years!

Montreal only has to deal with Gomez's contract for 4 more years!

Talent wise, there is no doubt Lecavalier is much better but honestly 10 years of 8 mil cap hit!!!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I wouldn't even trade Gomez one for one for Lecavalier just because Montreal would be stuck with that ciontract for 10 years! 8 mil cap hit for 10 years!

Montreal only has to deal with Gomez's contract for 4 more years!

Talent wise, there is no doubt Lecavalier is much better but honestly 10 years of 8 mil cap hit!!!
Actually, it's 10 years, or until he retires.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote