HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Scott Mellanby hired as Blues Assistant Coach

Old
06-01-2010, 09:06 AM
HarmonyOfDissonance

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HarmonyOfDissonance
Scott Mellanby hired as Blues Assistant Coach

Per JP Rutherford

I always liked Mellanby during his tenure here. Does he have any assistant or hell any coaching experience?

HarmonyOfDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Guy Legend

I don't think he has any coaching experience. He's been a consultant for the Canucks, living in St. Louis for the past while.

Regardless, he will get his coaching experience quickly with the Blues. His strength will be in bringing is strong player experience and personality. I like the hire.

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:24 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Delighted to see him back. He was a hell of a warrior, hopefully he can instill some those qualities in our youngsters.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
SteenMachine

Yeah the guy was definitely a leader and major competitor, that might be all it really takes for him to have an impact in that role, if he knows the game well enough he just has to collaborate with Payne who seems to be a guru for the fine details and match ups from what I've read.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
BluesBrother

always liked him as a player.. very interesting, I think he will bring much needed leadership to our team, especially to our youngsters... Hopefully he knows something about coaching

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:25 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues522 View Post
Per JP Rutherford

I always liked Mellanby during his tenure here. Does he have any assistant or hell any coaching experience?
Why yes. I'm pretty sure he coached a successful squirt team this past season. Coaching 9-10 yr olds counts, right?

Seriously though, even though he doesn't really have much of any professional coaching experience, I'm sure he has a lot to offer the Blues. He'll be one of 3 assistants so I don't see a problem with him being inexperienced. Besides, he seems like a plenty smart guy and was in the NHL not too long ago so I'm sure he knows how practices are run, etc. The most important things he'll provide is his experience, his warrior mentality, his recent player experience, his knowledge of the game, knowledge of the current players, etc. I'm sure the knowledge gained by scouting/doing special assignments for the Canucks won't hurt either.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend View Post
I don't think he has any coaching experience. He's been a consultant for the Canucks, living in St. Louis for the past while.

Regardless, he will get his coaching experience quickly with the Blues. His strength will be in bringing is strong player experience and personality. I like the hire.
Plus he come from one of the great Canadian ice hockey families; his father is a legend. Scott Mellanby became one of my favorite all-time Blues in his very short tenure.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Scott Mellanby instantly becomes the grittiest person in the organization.

I love this move! Hopefully some of Mellanby's badassery will rub off on some of the younger players.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 04:25 PM
General Veers

I like this move a lot! Scott is exactly the kind of hard-ass these players need barking at them. I think he'll do a great job ensuring everyone goes all out, all the time.
Technically, these are assumptions on my part. I just figure his coaching style will mimic the way he played.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
I like.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 10:50 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
Scott Mellanby instantly becomes the grittiest person in the organization.

I love this move! Hopefully some of Mellanby's badassery will rub off on some of the younger players.
Funny! You're using my old avatar. That shot was on the back page of the Sun-Times, which is the fist page of the sports section.

Old
06-02-2010, 12:29 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Funny! You're using my old avatar. That shot was on the back page of the Sun-Times, which is the fist page of the sports section.

Sorry about that... I didn't realize anyone had used that before. I just stumbled across that picture online and thought it was hilarious.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:15 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
Sorry about that... I didn't realize anyone had used that before. I just stumbled across that picture online and thought it was hilarious.
Not a problem at all. It's a great photo. Kind of time capsule with those Blackhawks players; Calder, Housley and Zhamnov, right? That Blues fan looks so ridiculous. ****ing great photo!