HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Anton Rodin

Old
06-01-2010, 11:10 PM
CCF23

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I watched him play a WJC pre-tournament game against the Swiss in Weyburn, Sask., and in the Swedes' WJC opener against the Czechs. Now, we have to keep in mind the circumstances (a pre-tournament game, and a tournament game against the worst Czech team in years), but I was impressed with the kid's talent. I had forgotten he was a Canucks prospect, and I went into those games to watch Tedenby, Paajarvi-Svensson, Markstrom, Josefson, and the glut of talented Swedish defencemen. I came away really impressed with Rodin.

I think he'll be best-served with another year in Sweden. Then bring him over.

He's one of several quality young forwards in our system. If his game translates well to North American ice, he could be a productive secondary scorer.
He was great in the World Jr's. One of Sweden's best forwards in the tourney.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
I watched him play a WJC pre-tournament game against the Swiss in Weyburn, Sask., and in the Swedes' WJC opener against the Czechs. Now, we have to keep in mind the circumstances (a pre-tournament game, and a tournament game against the worst Czech team in years), but I was impressed with the kid's talent. I had forgotten he was a Canucks prospect, and I went into those games to watch Tedenby, Paajarvi-Svensson, Markstrom, Josefson, and the glut of talented Swedish defencemen. I came away really impressed with Rodin.

I think he'll be best-served with another year in Sweden. Then bring him over.

He's one of several quality young forwards in our system. If his game translates well to North American ice, he could be a productive secondary scorer.
With the way he's been mishandled and the amount of ice time he's receiving, I think another year in the SEL might be the worst thing possible for his development. His situation seems worse than Schroeder's was and I suspect we've seen this signing occur for the same reason.

I'd expect to see Rodin in the top 6 in Manitoba playing with Schroeder and Shirokov next season.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:49 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
With the way he's been mishandled and the amount of ice time he's receiving, I think another year in the SEL might be the worst thing possible for his development. His situation seems worse than Schroeder's was and I suspect we've seen this signing occur for the same reason.

I'd expect to see Rodin in the top 6 in Manitoba playing with Schroeder and Shirokov next season.
I think you're asking a lot to expect a kid, who won't turn 20 until November, to play on the second line in the AHL, when that kid has only a few games of experience on North American ice. If Rodin does come to North America next year, he's in for a steep learning curve, and a big-time culture shock, both on and off the ice.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
if he plays for the moose, my goodness, will the moose be stacked next year or what lol

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Proto

Quote:
I think you're asking a lot to expect a kid, who won't turn 20 until November, to play on the second line in the AHL, when that kid has only a few games of experience on North American ice. If Rodin does come to North America next year, he's in for a steep learning curve, and a big-time culture shock, both on and off the ice.
I guess we'll see

Old
06-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
if he plays for the moose, my goodness, will the moose be stacked next year or what lol
No, not really. The best AHL teams are filled with minor league veterans, not prospects.

Wayne Maki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

He will remain in Brynäs on loan next season.

"Yes, Vancouver will loan me to Brynäs. Both parties think it's the best option."

"Why? I felt that I wanted to develop. Then I'll probably need another year in the SEL, which is also a good league."

(Rödin will try make the Canucks in 2011)
"It feels great. It's like a dream."

(Rödin gets a $87,500 signing bonus)
"That is what I get right now. During the season, Brynäs will pay my salary."

(Comment on all the young Swedes signing NHL deals)
"We've got some nice groups of players born in '90 and '91. And we've done well at the WJC's, too, and NHL clubs obviously recognize that."

(Comment on joining Eddie Läck and all the other Swedes in Vancouver)
"I guess that's pretty good. It's a classic Swede club, and that's kind of important I guess, to have some guys there to lean on."

(Comment on the Canucks having him over in March)
"Yeah, I headed over and took a look around town, watched a couple of games and saw some of the management. It felt really good. This summer I will return to their rookie camp."

(Comment on how he will celebrate the ELC)
"I'll have to take the boys out tonight!"

http://gd.se/sport/ishockey/brynas/1...v-nhl-kontrakt

Last edited by Systemfel: 06-02-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post

Thanks for the insight.

I see there's an interview with Rodin in that article. Would you be able to translate it for us?

I know a bit of Swedish, but the full article is way over my head.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Thanks for the insight.

I see there's an interview with Rodin in that article. Would you be able to translate it for us?

I know a bit of Swedish, but the full article is way over my head.
It is done.

Old
06-02-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
It is done.
Haha, my bad! Too narrow a focus, as usual

Good one

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:49 AM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Then, personally I'd admit I was wrong...but it's honestly the first time since I've followed the Canucks that they've had a succession of legitimate prospects that have managed to achieve success following their draft year.

Nonis had a bad habit of infuriatingly going off the board for players that could have been selected with later picks...Ellington, White. Though, relative to his mentor he looked like a draft day genius.
Burke couldn't draft his way out of a wet paper bag...even when he did manage to make a good selection, his pigheaded ego got in the way. (Umberger) Burke's draft history is an abomination...

How you can fail to gain an NHL prospect from an entire draft, not once but multiple times is beyond me. I sometimes wonder if he actively chose to select players who wouldn't make it, to save money or something....Yes his Sedin swindle is worthy, as is Kesler, but beyond that...wow.

No wonder he was shown the door..good riddance.
As much as I like Kesler as a player and think he is a great player Burke messed this pick up as well,Richards went next. heck perry, richards, kesler, eriksson,bergeron, weber and backes where all still available! with a blind fold and a dart board it would have been hard to miss on that pick.

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:00 AM
The Vengabus

Quote:

"I guess that's pretty good. It's a classic Swede club, and that's kind of important I guess, to have some guys there to lean on."

Really? Of all the Swedes in the Vancouver organization, the interviewer picked Eddie Lack?

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Askel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNashEquilibrium View Post
Really? Of all the Swedes in the Vancouver organization, the interviewer picked Eddie Lack?
They were teammates this year.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Has there been any articles in Sweden about Andersson's status? I know he was in town at around the same time Rodin was.
No, nothing. He might risk being forced back to Swe-2 though if Frölunda gets Oliver Ekman-Larsson on loan from Phoenix.

Old
06-02-2010, 10:17 AM
NCPokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic View Post
He looks like that smartass kid from Home Improvement

I almost choked on my coffee, nice work.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic View Post
He looks like that smartass kid from Home Improvement

Or perhaps:

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
No, nothing. He might risk being forced back to Swe-2 though if Frölunda gets Oliver Ekman-Larsson on loan from Phoenix.
I seem to recall an article from a while ago that Frolunda had signed him for another year, so it looked as if he'd be staying in the SEL(or Allsvenskan, if Frolunda's D corps is too deep). I could be wrong, it was in one of the prospect threads IIRC.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Proto

Quote:

"Yes, Vancouver will loan me to Brynäs. Both parties think it's the best option."

"Why? I felt that I wanted to develop. Then I'll probably need another year in the SEL, which is also a good league."

(Rödin will try make the Canucks in 2011)
"It feels great. It's like a dream."

(Rödin gets a $87,500 signing bonus)
"That is what I get right now. During the season, Brynäs will pay my salary."

(Comment on all the young Swedes signing NHL deals)
"We've got some nice groups of players born in '90 and '91. And we've done well at the WJC's, too, and NHL clubs obviously recognize that."

(Comment on the Canucks having him over in March)
"Yeah, I headed over and took a look around town, watched a couple of games and saw some of the management. It felt really good. This summer I will return to their rookie camp."

(Comment on how he will celebrate the ELC)
"I'll have to take the boys out tonight!"

On the surface, this seems like bad news to me. Hopefully he gets more time next season or it could end up being a net negative like the Schroeder situation.

I understand that the SEL is a top tier league behind the NHL, but I can't see how having a decent prospect buried for an entire season (like he was this season) can be seen as a positive development. Hockey is a game wherein young players/prospects learn the most by having an opportunity to play and develop their split-second decision making. In that sense, it's very much a different game than, say, football.

Old
06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Great to see him signed, but very disappointed he won't be in Manitoba next season. Playing in a league that will prepare him better for the NHL is probably what this guy needs.

After watching the WJC I was impressed, but worried that he wasn't prepared for the overt physicality in the North American game.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Great to see him signed, but very disappointed he won't be in Manitoba next season. Playing in a league that will prepare him better for the NHL is probably what this guy needs.

After watching the WJC I was impressed, but worried that he wasn't prepared for the overt physicality in the North American game.
As my comment preceding yours suggests, I pretty much agree with you. On the other hand, I'm sure there are probably other factors at play here that we don't know anything about.

I would assume, for example, that Gillis has spoken to his league club in Sweden and has some assurances as to where and how often Rodin will be playing (performance willing, obviously). Otherwise I can't believe he'd be willing to lend him back to the club.

In addition, it's probably also Rodin's preference to stay in Sweden rather than head to Manitoba -- can't blame him on that front.

The more I think about it, the SEL does offer some unique opportunities that wouldn't be afforded to him in the AHL. First, despite being more than likely a far less physical league, it is a league populated with grown men. And, more than that, with some hometown "stars". Rodin has a chance to compete physically and, perhaps more importantly, offensively against some of these other skilled players instead of career 3rd and 4th line NHL washouts playing on the 1st and 2nd lines in the AHL. In the long run it may suit his development curve better.

All of this with the obvious caveat that if he isn't getting playing time, it's a pointless exercise.

Old
06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
In addition, it's probably also Rodin's preference to stay in Sweden rather than head to Manitoba -- can't blame him on that front.

The more I think about it, the SEL does offer some unique opportunities that wouldn't be afforded to him in the AHL. First, despite being more than likely a far less physical league, it is a league populated with grown men. And, more than that, with some hometown "stars". Rodin has a chance to compete physically and, perhaps more importantly, offensively against some of these players. In the long run it may suit his development curve better.

All of this with the obvious caveat that if he isn't getting playing time, it's a pointless exercise.
I agree, although the AHL is populated with men as well.

I just believe playing in the AHL would give him the experience necessary to know that there is a flying elbow coming towards his head, or to know when guys like Patrice Cormier are on the ice. I honestly don't know if you get that in Sweden.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I agree, although the AHL is populated with men as well.

I just believe playing in the AHL would give him the experience necessary to know that there is a flying elbow coming towards his head, or to know when guys like Patrice Cormier are on the ice. I honestly don't know if you get that in Sweden.
I slightly amended my post to include the fact that the Swedish league likely has more skilled "men" playing on their top lines. There are definitely some talented career SEL players. In the AHL it's more a ragtag collection of the NHL washouts (the "men") and young potential hotshots (the Schroeders of the world).

While it may suit Rodin to develop that kind of game, at this point I think I'm more interested in seeing him develop his offensive game. Learning to take a hit -- or, hopefully, avoid one -- is something he can probably pick up in the NHL with some guidance from players such as the Sedins (who have adapted masterfully). But if he doesn't get a chance to play and develop his offensive game, he'll never amount to anything -- he certainly doesn't project as someone suitable for third or fourth line duty outside of when he's learning the ropes.

It's good news that he's grown a few inches and put on a few pounds. If he manages to come to camp in 2011 at 185-190 pounds he'll have a leg-up on where the Sedins were early in their career.

Old
06-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Ziostilon

skill development is more important than knowing what to do when Pat Kaleta is on the ice

hes only what 19? he can know more about the physical side of the game later on in his young career (like 22)

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Wayne Maki

I don't see the point of signing him if the decision is already made for him to return to Brynas. Rodin gets a nice signing bonus, what do the Canucks get?

I'm not as anti SEL as most of you seem to be. Yeah his ice time wasn't great last season, but when put with other young skilled players towards the end of the season he flourished. Next season the Rodin should see a significant improvement in ice time as the Silfverberg - Jarnkrok - Rodin line moves up the depth chart.

Wayne Maki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
lush
@jasonlush

The other thing to consider is that while some may think the AHL is better for him, and others may think the SEL is good for him we don't actually know what specific opportunities might be available to him in either situation. What I mean, is that I look at the Moose next year and I don't actually see a lot of room there in the top 6 for Rodin necessarily. It could be a case where his SEL club has committed to giving him a better shot next season, something the Moose might not necessarily be able to compete with. We have a lot of young players likely to be on the Moose next season and possibly some older guys that get signed later in the summer as well.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote