Washington Capitals

vCash: 500
Brutal game.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:38 PM
slovakiasnextone

I´m not gonn a comment on the game, it´s not like I ould see the ball anyway, haven´t they heard of orange balls in Poland yet?

lol, I love Merčiak.....and the other guy: "Janko, allow me to kiss your miraculous hands in the name of whole Slovakia...." lmao

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:34 PM
slovakiasnextone

Ok, it´s been a while, but now that we did it, I thought it could e useful to rename this thread and to use it for discussion about Slovakia at the football WC in South Africa. Slovakia will play in group F against Italy, Paraguay and New Zealand. It seems to be a very favourable group where Slovakia has a chance to upset Paraguay for the 2nd spot.

15.06. 13:30 Rustenburg New Zealand- Slovakia
20.06. 13:30 Slovakia-Paraguay
24.06. 16:00 Slovakia-Italy

The actual preparations for the WC will start soon with friendly games and all, the only known team will suit up against is Norway on March 3rd, who is just one place in front of Slovakia in the FIFA World Ranking, the game will be played in Žilina after the succes the game against Chille had there.

Now on to the Slovak players related news, we´ve got some pretty big (and good):
- Vladi Weiss Jr. has been finally loaned out today to the Bolton Wanderers and hopefully will get a lot of playing time in the Premier League before the actual World Cup
- Ján Mucha has signed a new year contract starting in the summer, supposedly it´s Everton, so possibly yet another SVK addition to the Premiership, he´s also considering a loan to the South of Europe until his contract in Legia Warszava expires. Good to see him move to a better league than the Polish one, though maybe I´d like it better if he chose a league/team where he´d be the No.1 guy, which is unlikely in Everton
- Ján Ďurica has recently handed himself a job in the German Bundesliga with Hannover 96 finally getting away from sitting on the bench in Russia (his first game however wasn´t such a big succes)
-Radoslav Zabavník sadly still remains without a job in a good league, which I don´t understand because he has always been 100% heart when I´ve seen him play, he´s been spotted playing with Slovak team Mšk Žilina in one of the gaes in the Czecho-Slovak Tipsport Liga

Old
02-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Wilfrid Laurier

I've been following some of the national players as well. According to the news reports, Stoch is tearing up the Eredivisie with some comparing him to Marc Overmars. Whether he can translate this to the national team remains to be seen.

Jan Novak was not picked up by Birmingham after what seemed like a successful trial.

Hamsik remains with Napoli despite heavy rumours to Manchester City, United, Chelsea. Nedved recently stated that Hamsik should be his successor at Juventus.

I think Slovakia can progress through the group but the team is a bit shallow. If we suffer one or two key injuries I don't think we could overcome them. The team has to be totally healthy and in form to progress.

Wilfrid Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
slovakiasnextone

Vladimír Weiss has released the preliminary 29 men roster yesterday:
Ján Mucha Jr. (Legia Warsav/POL
Dušan kuciak (FC valsui/ROM
Ľuboš Kamenár (FC Nantes/FRA
Dušan Perniš (Dundee United/SCOT

Peter Pekrík (Vfl Wolfsburg/GER
Martin Petráš (AC Cesena/ITA
Martin Škrtel (FC Liverpool/ENG)
Ľubomír Michalík (Leeds United/ENG)
Ján Ďurica (Lokomotiv Moskva/RUS)
Radoslav Zabavník (1. FSV Mainz/GER)
Marek Čech (West Bromwich Albion/ENG)
Tomáš Hubočan (Zenit Petrohrad/RUS)
Kornel Saláta (ŠK Slovan Bratislava)
Mário Pečalka (MŠK Žilina).

Kamil Kopúnek (Spartak Trnava)
Ján Kozák ml. (FC Temešvár/ROM)
Juraj Kucka (AC Sparta Praha/CZE)
Miroslav Karhan (1. FSV Mainz/GER)
Marek Sapara (MKE Ankaragücü/TUR)
Marek Hamšík (SSC Neapol/ITA)
Vladimír Weiss ml. (Bolton Wanderers/ENG)
Miroslav Stoch (FC Twenete/NL)
Dušan Švento (Red Bull Salzburg/RAK)
Zdeno Štrba (Škoda Xanthi/GRE)

Stanislav Šesták (VfL Bochum/GER)
Erik Jendrišek (Schalke 04/GER)
Róbert Vittek (MKE Ankaragücü/TUR)
Martin Jakubko (Saturn Moskovská oblasť/RUS)
Filip Hološko (Besiktas Istanbul/TUR)

Subs:
Brankári: Štefan Senecký (SK Slavia Praha/ČR), Martin Dúbravka (MŠK Žilina).
Hráči v poli: Peter Grajciar (SK Slavia Praha/ČR), Jakub Sylvestr, Martin Dobrotka (obaja ŠK Slovan Bratislava), Miloš Lačný, Igor Žofčák (obaja AC Sparta Praha/ČR), Csaba Horváth (ADO Den Haag/Hol.), Adam Nemec (1. FC Kaiserslautern/Nem.), Róbert Jež (MŠK Žilina), Ján Novák (MFK Košice), Filip Šebo (FC Valenciennes/Fr.).

Exhibition games shedule:
26.05. Slovakia- FC St. Veit (regional selection)
29.05. Slovakia- Cameroon (in AUT)
05.06. Slovakia- Costa Rica (Pasienky, Bratislava)

Old
05-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
Vladimír Weiss has released the preliminary 29 men roster yesterday:
Martin Škrtel (FC Liverpool/ENG)
Róbert Vittek (MKE Ankaragücü/TUR)
Filip Hološko (Besiktas Istanbul/TUR)
What is the injury status of these three players? From what I remember of Hološko, his injury was severe and I'm surprised to see him listed here.

Hard to believe the World Cup is less than a month away. I've followed the team for so long. So many times watching on like October nights seeing them lose in the rain. Now they are off to sunny South Africa to take part in the biggest tournament there is.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
What is the injury status of these three players? From what I remember of Hološko, his injury was severe and I'm surprised to see him listed here.

Hard to believe the World Cup is less than a month away. I've followed the team for so long. So many times watching on like October nights seeing them lose in the rain. Now they are off to sunny South Africa to take part in the biggest tournament there is.
You realize what climate JAR has, right? It will be winter there. No snow, but I imagine the weather will be more similar to fall over here.

Vittek and Hološko: http://futbal.pravda.sk/vittek-aj-ho..._sk_frepre_p28
Škrtel: http://sportky.topky.sk/c/46521/skrt...e-fc-liverpool

Old
05-13-2010, 05:06 PM
kajoo

can´t wait the kick-off

kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Kamzik

Tomorrow the World Cup roster for Slovakia will be announced. Perhaps my comments should wait until then. Anyhow, my take on the team is that they have a capable goaltender, a defence with a couple of gems but otherwise lacking depth, a world class offensive midfield, and pathetic strikers. Do others agree?

Old
06-01-2010, 03:58 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Tomorrow the World Cup roster for Slovakia will be announced. Perhaps my comments should wait until then. Anyhow, my take on the team is that they have a capable goaltender, a defence with a couple of gems but otherwise lacking depth, a world class offensive midfield, and pathetic strikers. Do others agree?
Yep, that´s about it, even Weiss agrees especially about those pathetic strikers, he even mentioned that he might actually call up Slovan´s youngster and U21 NT player Jakub Sylvestr from the reserve list.

Waiting right now, just a few minutes away from Weiss´ press conference.

Goalies
Ján Mucha Jr. 05.12.1982 Legia Warsav/POL
Dušan Kuciak 21.05.1985 FC Valsui/ROM
Dušan Perniš 28.11.1984 Dundee United/SCO

Deffense
Martin Škrtel 15.12.1984 FC Liverpool/ENG
Peter Pekarík 30.10.1986 Vfl Wolfsburg/GER
Ján Ďurica 10.12.1981 Hannover/GER
Radoslav Zabavník 16.09.1980 FSV Mainz/GER
Marek Čech 26.01.1983 West romwich Albion/ENG
Martin Petráš 02.11.1979 AC Cesena/ITA
Kornel Saláta 24.01.1985 ŠK Slovan Bratislava/SVK

Midfield:
Kamil Kopúnek 18.05.1984 Spartak Trnava/SVK
Ján Kozák Jr. 22.04.1980 FC Temešvár/ROM
Juraj Kucka 26.02.1987 AC Sparta Praha/CZE
Marek Sapara 31.07.1982 MKE Ankaragucu/TUR
Marek Hamšík 27.07.1987 SSC Neapol/ITA
Vladimír Weiss Jr. 30.11.1989 Bolton Wanderers/ENG
Miroslav Stoch 19.10.1989 FC Twente/NL
Zdeno Štrba 09.06.1976 Škoda Xanthi/GRE

Strikers:
Stanislav Šesták 16.12.1982 Vfl Bochum/GER
Erik Jendrišek 26.10.1986 Shalke 04/GER
Róbert Vittek 01.04.1982 OSC Lille/FRA
Martin Jakubko 26.02.1980 Saturn/RUS
Filip Hološko 17.01.1984 Besiktas Istanbul/TUR

No surprises, I will never understand Weiss´ love for Kozák.

I hope that Robbie Mak (1991) of Mancity will get a chance to play in the Euro quaification cuz we can really rely just on Šesták all the time.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 06-01-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old
06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Strikers:
Stanislav Šesták 16.12.1982 Vfl Bochum/GER
Erik Jendrišek 26.10.1986 Shalke 04/GER
Róbert Vittek 01.04.1982 OSC Lille/FRA
Martin Jakubko 26.02.1980 Saturn/RUS
Filip Hološko 17.01.1984 Besiktas Istanbul/TUR

No surprises, I will never understand Weiss´ love for Kozák.

I hope that Robbie Mak (1991) of Mancity will get a chance to play in the Euro quaification cuz we can really rely just on Šesták all the time.
Kozak je klúčový hráč - nosí klúče od šatne. [Kozak is a key player, he carries the keys to the dressing room].

Weiss will use a formation with one striker I would imagine. Who will it be? Sestak to start and then later in the game replaced by Jendrisek or Vittek?

Old
06-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Kamzik

One more quick question, what is the nickname of the team? I have heard Repre (The Representatives). There is another one, something about Fighting Jondas - but I doubt that is true and never heard it used before by a proper Slovak.

Old
06-01-2010, 12:45 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Kozak je klúčový hráč - nosí klúče od šatne. [Kozak is a key player, he carries the keys to the dressing room].

Weiss will use a formation with one striker I would imagine. Who will it be? Sestak to start and then later in the game replaced by Jendrisek or Vittek?
Šesták to start definitely, but I believe that the first choice replacement is Hološko (if he´s 100% fit) ahead of Vittek and Jednrišek.

Quote:
One more quick question, what is the nickname of the team? I have heard Repre (The Representatives). There is another one, something about Fighting Jondas - but I doubt that is true and never heard it used before by a proper Slovak.
There´s no real nickname.

Never heard of the Fighting Jondas one.

Repre pretty much just is a short version of "reprezentácia" (national team) and can be used when refering to pretty much any sport. It also is used by the Czechs for their national teams.

Though from what I´ve noticed , the media over here started to use "weissovci" recently.

Btw, most of them actually write "Weissovci" vitha capital W, but that is wrong and it should be with a "v" acc. to the Slovak language rules if not refering to the Weiss family alone. Just like "štúrovci" ....

EDIT: New football anthem by Katka Knechtová - Slovensko na nohy - Slovakia (rise) to your feet:

To be hones, I think that Knechtová can do better than that and I liked "Slovensko do toho!" one better.

EDIT2: Official motto for Slovakia in SA
Shake the green field: Go Slovakia!
Ideme na to: Slovensko do toho! - svk version

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 06-01-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old
06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
slovakiasnextone

I just found out that I´ve got two "home" boys on the team- well I always knew Škrtel grew up playing here in PD, though he is from Ráztočno, but just found out that Kucka is a PD man as well.
EDIT: Actually Martin Petráš makes it three.......

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 06-01-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old
06-02-2010, 09:00 AM
slovakiasnextone

These are some real bad ass comercials with Hamšík and little Dédé from T-com

And some bonus videos from their youtube channel:

Old
06-02-2010, 10:16 AM
kuwo

Hey! Nice to see someone from Prievidza here as I´m from there as well And may I ask who is the kid on your avatar Slovakiasnextone?

kuwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:36 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
Hey! Nice to see someone from Prievidza here as I´m from there as well And may I ask who is the kid on your avatar Slovakiasnextone?
Cheers!

Slovakia´s next one is on my avatar

Or more like Sam Calabrese Part 2 as they have already decided over at the prospects board....

Old
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Kamzik

I'm not sure there is much difference between the so called SR next one and that big tall Torok kid who scores almost as much. Is there?

Old
06-02-2010, 06:38 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I'm not sure there is much difference between the so called SR next one and that big tall Torok kid who scores almost as much. Is there?
That is some real OT in an OT topic.

Hmm, well there´s those four months that seperate them in age, I know might not look like too much, but it gives them different NHL draft years (can´t really guarantee that they´ll actually get drafted when the time comes, they´re 14 year olds right now after all) and that one bonus year of development that Torok has on Koyš in the top U18 league. Also Torok´s height can be considered an advantage to him compared to Koyš, because with his 180 cm he would be in the bigger half of the players in the league, while Koyš is most probably (don´t have all the data) smaller than 50+% of players in the league if we consider him 175 cm that is. 5 cm might not seem such a big difference, but maybe a guy like Toni Rajala would be seen as a completely different prospect has he has those extra 5 cm. Plus there´s the question whether both of them are still growing, it would be expected that they are as they are 14 going on 15, but you never know. And if they are, the data that we have is already outdated by now, especially in Koyš´s case, when the last data is from 09. Also the impressions of most people I´ve heard on Koyš was that he needs to add muscle, don´t know how Torok is doing int his department.

And a little something what I´ve noticed from the stats: Except for a January slump, Koyš has been pretty consistent in scoring, even more consistant in goal scoring, when he scored 4 goals almost every month. Compared to that Torok´s scoring has been a bit less consistant, which in my opinion has to do with the fact tha once he played with the 1992 born players/U16/U17 players on the top lines, other times he has played on the 3rd/4th lines. Koyš has played on the top 6 in Dubnica all season long. Anyway, I´m really excited to see whether Torok makes it into the U20 league next year as he is practising with them and the new coach of Martin´s U20 team is his coach from last season in the U18s.

All in all, it´s nothing I can judge since I haven´t see either of them play, it´s on my shedule for next season, but it might not be in my hands if Koyš plays in Sweden....

Old
06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
That is some real OT in an OT topic.
Good points, re: Torok vs. Koys, including some I didn't consider. I promise I will swing this thing back on to topic.

I want to say that I hope to God there are no injuries on Saturday versus Costa Rica. It is a balancing act I guess. New Zealand is playing great [including a win over Serbia] and are going into the World Cup hot. It would be good if SR could go in on a winning note also. At the same time it is important that nobody is hurt.

Old
06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Good points, re: Torok vs. Koys, including some I didn't consider. I promise I will swing this thing back on to topic.

I want to say that I hope to God there are no injuries on Saturday versus Costa Rica. It is a balancing act I guess. New Zealand is playing great [including a win over Serbia] and are going into the World Cup hot. It would be good if SR could go in on a winning note also. At the same time it is important that nobody is hurt.
Koyš and co.: We can continue that discussion in the hype thread or the prospects thread if you want.

Actually, i disagree with you, to perform up to it´s potential or better Slovak sportsmen in almost any sport need to get they ass kicked before an important game (not including wild water slalom in that one, it´s been a while since we got our ass kicked there) ) Just look at England-Slovakia 4-0 and then the April game against the Czechs.

As for the New Zealand-Serbia game, well I don´t think we shoudl give it too much importance, it´s just an exhibition game, teams are still trying players and new combinations etc.. Not saying that we should underrate New Zealand, IMO we shouldn´t underrate them even if they had lost to the Serbs, but we shouldn´t overrate them based just on that either. Anyway, I think it is good for us if they step into the tournament on a high note, maybe thinking too much of themselves- like we´ve beaten the allmihty Serbia, we´re gonna beat some Slovakia as well.

Old
06-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Kamzik

Quote:

I want to say that I hope to God there are no injuries on Saturday versus Costa Rica.
I think I had a vision of Skrtel injuring his ankle a week before it actually happened. It looks like he is going to be OK though. It is just swollen and there are 10 days for it to get better.

Nice victory, I don't think I really counted a single Costa Rican scoring chance. I wanted Weiss to take the penalty kick, it would have been cool seeing him score.

Old
06-06-2010, 03:32 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I think I had a vision of Skrtel injuring his ankle a week before it actually happened. It looks like he is going to be OK though. It is just swollen and there are 10 days for it to get better.

Nice victory, I don't think I really counted a single Costa Rican scoring chance. I wanted Weiss to take the penalty kick, it would have been cool seeing him score.
Yep, some real scare there, but he´ll be alright in three days.
Yep, it was nice that we didn´t let them create any scoring chance, bu we seriously need to get better in using our own as we won´t get as many of them as in this game- Stoch´s crossbar, then he kciked the ball wide once, Hamšík was in a pretty glorious opportunity and I still can´t believe that Jendrišek didn´t score on hat chance in the 2nd half.

Btw, I think that yesterday was a great example that we shouldn´t take any results of these exhibition games too seriously, because:
Switzerland- Costa Rica 0-1
Slovakia- Costa Rica 3-0
Italy- Switzerland 1-1

Old
06-07-2010, 05:46 PM
slovakiasnextone

A view on the SVK- Costa Rica game from a non-Slovak (at least I think)

Quote:
What happened at the Slovakia-Costa Rica game besides Skrtel's injury
Posted by Maura Gladys 1 day, 18 hours ago

Slovakia’s match against Costa Rica on Saturday was an exercise in breathing for most Slovak fans. A series of quick drastic gasps and inhalations when Martin Skrtel hit the pitch, clutching his ankle. A long slow exhalation when he rose and began to negotiate his way around the field again. A guttural moan when he ambled off the pitch a few minutes afterwards. Then another long sight when scans revealed he would be ok.

Overshadowing (wrongfully) what was a great win for the Repre, Skrtel injured his ankle in the 16th minute of the match and was subbed out soon after. Although he was taken to the hospital, a scan revealed that there was swelling to the ankle, but not much else, and he is expected to be fit for South Africa. “It’s not too bad, just a gash,” Skrtel told the Slovak Football Association’s Website. It’s a bit of a non-story if you ask me. I realize that suffering an ankle injury and leaving the game is cause for concern. However, he has come out saying that he is fine and the scans concur. Skrtel’s injury, although legitimate, overshadowed an extremely positive win for Slovakia against Costa Rica. The Repre were firing on all cylinders today, staying strong on all fronts

First, a little bit of lineup analysis.

Manager Vladimir Weiss started veteran striker Robert Vittek up front along with Stanislav Sestak. Vittek looked very good today, playing all 90 minutes, which is a very good sign for his fitness. Along with bagging a goal, Vittek moved well and added a refreshing presence up front.

In the midfield Weiss went with Miroslav Stoch and Vladimir Weiss on the wings, with Marek Hamsik as the attacking midfielder and Zdeno Strba as the holding midfielder. It’s becoming more and more apparent just how strong Slovakia’s midfield is. It’s truly their strong point. Stoch was brilliant all game, making smart runs and creating chances for himself and his teammates. Stoch, Hamsik and Weiss pressed forward all game, peppering Costa Rican goaltender Navas.

Defensively Weiss went with Mucha in goal, Skrtel and Jan Durica in the middle and Radoslav Zabavnik and Marek Cech at right and left back, respectively. Despite the loss of Skrtel, the defense looked strong. They easily swept away the few Costa Rican challenges with ease, and Mucha was not tested much in goal.

Overall, it’s a very good, strong lineup. If Skrtel and Vittek stay fit, I don’t see any real holes. Perhaps Weiss might use a combination of Strba and Kopunek as the holding midfielder, but other than that, this team is solid.

None of the goals scored today were particularly memorable, and didn’t come close to matching the brilliance of Kopunek’s strike from 7 days ago. Weiss got a little lucky getting by his defender on the first goal. Although, Weiss’s cross was good enough that Hamsik would have surely been able to net it had Sequeira not beaten him to it. Vittek’s goal was also not outstanding. He volleyed the ball past Navas in the 47th minute after Sestak’s shot hit the crossbar. Sestak had his own moment in the 86th minute when he scored from the spot. Even though none of the goals were particularly good, Slovakia was so efficient and successful on offense, that it’s okay. In fact, it should have been about 5-0 had Stoch not hit the post early in the game and Erik Jendrisek done better in a one on one with Navas late in the game.

Overall, a great showing by the Repre, and a great result to take into South Africa
http://blogs.soccernet.com/slovakia/..._slovakiac.php

INJURY REPORT: Škrtel´s recovery will probably take more than the originally expected 3 days, but he still should be ready to play against the All Whites. Mareks Hamšík and Čech did not take part in today´s practice as they went off after the first half in the last game since they had some minor trouble, but it´s nothing serious, just taking it easily with them as a preacuation.

Old
06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
Yep, some real scare there, but he´ll be alright in three days.
Yep, it was nice that we didn´t let them create any scoring chance, bu we seriously need to get better in using our own as we won´t get as many of them as in this game- Stoch´s crossbar, then he kciked the ball wide once, Hamšík was in a pretty glorious opportunity and I still can´t believe that Jendrišek didn´t score on hat chance in the 2nd half.

Btw, I think that yesterday was a great example that we shouldn´t take any results of these exhibition games too seriously, because:
Switzerland- Costa Rica 0-1
Slovakia- Costa Rica 3-0
Italy- Switzerland 1-1
Oh I was at that game. Good match. Wasn't really planning to go, but I didn't have a lot to do on that day so I went.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote