HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Junior B Question

Old
05-31-2010, 03:52 PM
WithOutPaperss

vCash: 500
Junior B Question

Last year a call-up on my team told me and a few others that his dad (who coaches Junior B) said we could definitely make Junior B if we were to try out.

I've been thinking of it, and don't think I will try out this year, but I may next year when I'm a year older (18) and hopefully a bit stronger.

What does everyone think? Is it a decent idea?

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 04:25 PM
hoonking

If what he tells you is true, go for it.

If what he tells you isn't true, go for it.

The worst that can happen is you get some insight on what you need to work up to to make Jr.B. And if you do make it, well then you will be there at an earlier age. Size can sometimes be a problem, but there have been many examples of players who made it regardless.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 05:26 PM
WheatiesHockey

Junior B hockey is fine if you want to have fun playing the game. It is not impossible to move up in the hockey world but it is a road less traveled. Darren Helm on the Detroit Red Wings played Jr. B hockey in Selkirk before getting picked up by Medicine Hat. Probably would be easier to move up in hockey through the CJAHL or CHL ranks.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
Last year a call-up on my team told me and a few others that his dad (who coaches Junior B) said we could definitely make Junior B if we were to try out.

I've been thinking of it, and don't think I will try out this year, but I may next year when I'm a year older (18) and hopefully a bit stronger.

What does everyone think? Is it a decent idea?
Which team, if I may ask? I'm looking to play some juniors myself next year, maybe we'll be team mates

But anyways, Jr. B is actually good hockey in Canada (Ontario, at least) If you play good, you can get called up to the OHL (If the team is affiliated) or at least Jr. A for sure. I don't think anybody has ever been drafted straight out of Jr. B to the NHL if that's what you're thinking, but it would be great if you could one-up Kyle Turris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
If what he tells you is true, go for it.

If what he tells you isn't true, go for it.

The worst that can happen is you get some insight on what you need to work up to to make Jr.B. And if you do make it, well then you will be there at an earlier age. Size can sometimes be a problem, but there have been many examples of players who made it regardless.
Actually the worst that can happen is that you don't make the team, and just wasted like $150

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 05:37 AM
hoonking

Its not like hockey is the cheapest sport anyway :p If $150 isn't worth the experience then by all means, stay away from it until you feel ready.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Faryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
Which team, if I may ask? I'm looking to play some juniors myself next year, maybe we'll be team mates

But anyways, Jr. B is actually good hockey in Canada (Ontario, at least) If you play good, you can get called up to the OHL (If the team is affiliated) or at least Jr. A for sure. I don't think anybody has ever been drafted straight out of Jr. B to the NHL if that's what you're thinking, but it would be great if you could one-up Kyle Turris.

Actually the worst that can happen is that you don't make the team, and just wasted like $150
Ya they have drafted a player right out of junior b, Daultan Leveille who went 29th overall to Atlanta in 2008 he played for the St. Catharines Falcons of the OPJHL.

I used to do my pre camp training with a junior b team in Alberta its decent to get in shape and the hockey isnt too bad but is a little goonish atleast here it is. The cost is generally to pay for ice time I only paid somithing like $50 for 5 ice times and off-ice training sessions as well its better than paying to go to a summer camp.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryn View Post
Ya they have drafted a player right out of junior b, Daultan Leveille who went 29th overall to Atlanta in 2008 he played for the St. Catharines Falcons of the OPJHL.
What the, his stats must not do him justice... He was hardly a PPG player...

Kyle Turris was like a Goal per game in Jr. A...

Old
06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
rileymac79

vCash: 778
I played on Selkirk Fishermen with Darren as he played Jr.B he was cut by the junior A club because you were only aloud to hold 1 16 year old on the roster and the JR A club ended up keeping the mangers son who was also a 16 year old. But Darren was pretty dominant...stupid fast great guy to have on the team

rileymac79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:52 PM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatiesHockey View Post
Junior B hockey is fine if you want to have fun playing the game. It is not impossible to move up in the hockey world but it is a road less traveled. Darren Helm on the Detroit Red Wings played Jr. B hockey in Selkirk before getting picked up by Medicine Hat. Probably would be easier to move up in hockey through the CJAHL or CHL ranks.
Well at the moment I don't see myself moving up that quickly as I'm a short player (5'7 maybe 5'8) and need to fill out more...I have the speed, hands, and passing, but I don't have the best shot. I could actually hit pretty well at my small stature and light weight, but my shot is definitely my weakness so I was thinking playing Midget AA or A would be better this year and work on my shot and work out a bit more.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:43 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryn View Post

I used to do my pre camp training with a junior b team in Alberta its decent to get in shape and the hockey isnt too bad but is a little goonish atleast here it is. The cost is generally to pay for ice time I only paid somithing like $50 for 5 ice times and off-ice training sessions as well its better than paying to go to a summer camp.
OPJHL was Jr. A.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 10:47 AM
j12

^ ya, he got the league wrong but St Catharines is certainly a Jr. B team. They play in the Golden Horseshoe division of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League. Mind you, this league is on par with tier II Jr. A in Ontario. There just isn't a Jr. A league in Niagara.

j12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:59 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Not sure if it's the same in America or not, but we played an exhibition against the Syracuse Stars EJHL team, which I believe is Jr. B, and they were nasty. I'm pretty sure they had 3 guys get drafted from their team in 2007, I want to see 2 in the 3rd round and 1 in the 4th but could be wrong.

They were a bunch of 15-17 year olds I think and they beat us pretty handily (a bunch of 17-22 year olds)...I think the final was like 6-3, but they had some real skill.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 01:43 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Not sure if it's the same in America or not, but we played an exhibition against the Syracuse Stars EJHL team, which I believe is Jr. B, and they were nasty. I'm pretty sure they had 3 guys get drafted from their team in 2007, I want to see 2 in the 3rd round and 1 in the 4th but could be wrong.

They were a bunch of 15-17 year olds I think and they beat us pretty handily (a bunch of 17-22 year olds)...I think the final was like 6-3, but they had some real skill.
you played a junior B team that beat you, and your not sure of the score? Your team are between the ages of 17 to 22.

Syracuse NY is America.

What are you trying to say in this post? I'm just trying to understand what your post is about, and how it fits in here.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
you played a junior B team that beat you, and your not sure of the score? Your team are between the ages of 17 to 22.

Syracuse NY is America.

What are you trying to say in this post? I'm just trying to understand what your post is about, and how it fits in here.
He's trying to say that Jr. B can be amazing hockey, depending on where you live.

What are you trying to say?

Old
06-15-2010, 03:37 PM
WDR357

If it is the Syracuse junior B team, they are indeed in that 15/16-19 year old range. The players drafted are from their EJHL team. The Junior B team probably plays in the Empire League, one step below. But yah, pretty darn good players on their B team. The ones that continue on will be Div 1/3 players in college, mostly D3.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote