HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Sign F Anton Rodin

Old
06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
LostMyGlasses*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
skill development is more important than knowing what to do when Pat Kaleta is on the ice

hes only what 19? he can know more about the physical side of the game later on in his young career (like 22)
Sure, as long as it doesn't reinforce bad habits, like skating with your head down, being unprepared for hits, having your head down going across the blue line, etc. Learning this kind of lesson at 22 could end a career, or shorten it.

When I saw Cormier elbow Rodin I laughed. Then I realized it was Rodin and I got angry. It made me wonder if this kid even saw the potential for a dirty play coming.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Sure, as long as it doesn't reinforce bad habits, like skating with your head down, being unprepared for hits, having your head down going across the blue line, etc. Learning this kind of lesson at 22 could end a career, or shorten it.

When I saw Cormier elbow Rodin I laughed. Then I realized it was Rodin and I got angry. It made me wonder if this kid even saw the potential for a dirty play coming.
Yes, let's have Rodin work on taking blind-side elbows to the face next season.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:12 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I seem to recall an article from a while ago that Frolunda had signed him for another year, so it looked as if he'd be staying in the SEL(or Allsvenskan, if Frolunda's D corps is too deep). I could be wrong, it was in one of the prospect threads IIRC.
Yes, i remember this post too and it said something about a one year extension with Frolunda SEL, not Allsvenskan. But correct me if i am wrong! And lets hope OEL isn't taking his spot.. that would suck.

Good for Rodin. He has really developed chemistry with Jarnkrok and Silfverberg. They were the 4th line last season, but i hope they move up substantially this coming season.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:18 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Now made ... uber-official?

As per CDC:

Quote:
Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed 2009 draft picks Anton Rodin and Peter Andersson. In keeping with club policy terms of the deal were not disclosed.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:18 PM
dmacgreg37

Andersson is signed too. Maybe we can change the title of this thread to include each of them now?

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Britton

Quote:

Seriously? He was skating to the bench for a change, hadn't touched the puck in eons, and got blindsided. There isn't a player in the world that would be ready for that.

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:27 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britton View Post
Seriously? He was skating to the bench for a change, hadn't touched the puck in eons, and got blindsided. There isn't a player in the world that would be ready for that.
Practice makes perfect.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

Putting a physically immature kid in the AHL where he's going to be overwhelmed by the opposition's size and strength is how you end a career. Rodin shouldn't be put in a situation where he's going to get completely anhilated by players twice his size. Give him another year to help build his frame for the pro game.

Until he's ready to stop blindside elbows he's not ready for the pro game - again, you answered your own question.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Falconator

Excellent, hope he's a good one!

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

And i thought this was some sort of joke thread with "Canucks sign F."
Dang, I was hoping they had signed speedy Swedish phenom Tobias Eff (SEL rookie of the year candidate, 6' 3" Sundin-like forward, 24 goals in 28 games after his call up from MoDo's jrs.)

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
That's great news! The Moose will have some team next year.
Why, yes. Yes they will.

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:

Agreed.

Whenever I walk outside, I'm looking at everyone around me and determining which random person might pull a gun on me. I then place my right arm to my side, where my pepper spray is located on my belt. This Rodin kid needs to be prepared for the absolute worst at all times.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
RobertKron

Quote:

I'm sure if Rodin were playing in the CHL like Mikael Tam, he'd never let Cormier get a cheap shot in on him, right?

Rodin is undersized still. Let him play in Sweden and tell him to live in the weight room during his off days. He's not even 20 yet; he has plenty of time to adapt to North America.

Last edited by RobertKron: 06-03-2010 at 10:22 AM.
RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:24 PM
timw33

Gapgeek has his salary at 690K a year.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:36 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
I don't see the point of signing him if the decision is already made for him to return to Brynas. Rodin gets a nice signing bonus, what do the Canucks get?

I'm not as anti SEL as most of you seem to be. Yeah his ice time wasn't great last season, but when put with other young skilled players towards the end of the season he flourished. Next season the Rodin should see a significant improvement in ice time as the Silfverberg - Jarnkrok - Rodin line moves up the depth chart.
You don't burn years on your ELC until you play in the NHL; it's been a while since I looked at the numbers but regardless, if he plays in Sweden next year, his ELC is still "3 years" in length when he comes to North America the year after that.

The current ELC minimum for rookies is $900,000. Next season it will be $925,000.

By signing him now (because the Canucks management is impressed enough with him) they save a little money when he DOES come over.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:25 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

My bad; I was thinking of it removing a year from RFA/UFA status, perhaps?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

impressive that Gillis has already signed 4 of the 7 picks from the 2009 draft. That's a higher than normal rate of signings from one draft, and the remaining 3 are still all possibilities to be signed as well. So far it's looking like one of the team's best drafts.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:20 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
impressive that Gillis has already signed 4 of the 7 picks from the 2009 draft. That's a higher than normal rate of signings from one draft, and the remaining 3 are still all possibilities to be signed as well. So far it's looking like one of the team's best drafts.
Also accounting for the fact that 2 are College players, he only really has one more option left, Anthony. Very good draft so far.

And holy smokes, just checking up on Price, he gained 15 lbs this year in college.

Old
06-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Also accounting for the fact that 2 are College players, he only really has one more option left, Anthony. Very good draft so far.

And holy smokes, just checking up on Price, he gained 15 lbs this year in college.
So that puts price at...210lbs? Nice size for a defender. He had a pretty damn good freshman season too; 6 goals and 14 points. Nice to see players enter the collegiate ranks and make an impact right away...beats the days of Butcher and Fredheim having completely forgettable rookie seasons.

Only Anthony is unsigned from the '09 draft for players who aren't in the collegiate ranks. Is he an overager next year, or 19?

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Just being cautious here. Weight stats are amazingly prone to inflation, like height stats. They can't be trusted unless they come from the draft combine testing session.

I'd like to believe Price put on 15 lbs during his first season, but I'm doubtful. Wondering about your source for that stat?

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:07 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Just being cautious here. Weight stats are amazingly prone to inflation, like height stats. They can't be trusted unless they come from the draft combine testing session.

I'd like to believe Price put on 15 lbs during his first season, but I'm doubtful. Wondering about your source for that stat?
Of course they are variable and subject to error. And i've been trying to find combine 2009 spreadsheet (similar to the 2010 spreadsheet), but no one is even willing to share it.

Pre-draft measurements had him at 175 lbs. Colgate's site says 190 lbs, which is arguably the most recent measurement of him. Its not as if it is even close enough to call inflated. So either way, it implies he is putting on weight. A good sign. All i am is excited to see progression. But you can be doubtful and believe what you want, if you wish.

Last edited by thefeebster: 06-03-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old
06-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
That is incorrect. This is not meant to be a jab at you but I feel like a broken record. I just explained this in the Andersson thread (Andersson doesn't burn a year off because he was born in 1991) and this is about the 3rd or 4th time in the last couple of days over several different types of media.

Rodin will burn a year off his ELC because he counts as a 20 year old when he signed his contract (turns 20 between September 16 and December 31). The SEL is counted as a professional league. It's the same situation with Schroeder and Connauton. They'll burn a year off despite (most likely) playing in Manitoba and not the NHL.
I am not certain if those provisions regarding European leagues are actually in effect currently (except for perhaps Finland).

Some provisions relating to European leagues and players were included in anticipation of an IIHF transfer agreement being concluded which has not occurred. In fact Sweden opted out of the 2005 deal in 2007 and has yet to sign a new deal.

The problem is that a number of these sort of provisions are considered suspended (or modified) and this has been recognized by way of an addenda to the CBA by way of a letter agreements between the NHL and NHLPA. Several of these early letter agreements are included in the publicly available version of the CBA but many of them are not. It is quite difficult to say definitively one way or the other on some issues.

This article talks about this provision coming into force only when a transfer agreement is in place:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...agreement.html

Finland has signed an agreement with the NHL last off-season IIRC.

Sweden was reported about to sign a new transfer agreement back in late March 2010 but at the last moment the deal was not signed. It is my understanding from a couple of agents that there is a hang-up in finalizing the transfer agreement over the issue of retroactivity - i.e. players drafted before this new agreement was to take effect.

The NHL wants it to apply so they can sign and bring players under contract in the SEL to the NHL that they drafted previously. The Swedes have said fine then you also have to pay for all the Swedish players drafted prior to the agreement. At the moment the deal is in limbo as best I can determine. There was also a provision that any player under 22 not playing in the NHL was to be loaned back to his SEL club. The NHL wanted players drafted in the first round exempted from this and Sweden wanted it to apply to all players.

My best guess would be that at the moment Rodin playing in Sweden will not take a year off his ELC. But who knows for certain.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Yeah I believe the reason he dropped (and the reason Canucks thought he would be a steal) was because he was 5' 11" and ultra light pre draft (ilk of Zetterberg) they felt that he could be a good player but if he filled into his body a little bit more he would be a GREAT pick. (remember he was supposed to be our first rounder)
I highly doubt that was the reason, I think that he wasn't on most teams radar, or if he was they had players higher on their lists than him.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 05:56 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

So has anyone found out if there a reason that Gillis signed Rodin to a contract even though he's loaning him to his SEL team?

Is it possible that Gillis is paying Rodin's check for his SEL team to get scouting information or in the future information?

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Cody Hodgson

Sweet signing but i'm worried about how his development will go with another year in the SEL.

More importantly though is that he is now supposedly over 6 feet tall now from around 5'10 drafted. He's probably around Raymond and Grabners size now.

His skill set and skating to go along with his added height has me even more interested in this guy. I know it's only the WJC but he has the tools to be a dynamic top 6 player in the NHL.

Cody Hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote