HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Need some help

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Need some help

I am by no means a computer guru, but I run a firewall, scan for spyware almost daily, but I can't seem to get rid of this annoying problem with my computer.

I have somehow gotten some kind of ad-bug on my computer than puts annoying links on keywords like "money" and "computer" with a link to some site. I have ran multiple scans, followed the directions on the link below about spyware but to no avail, this sucker keeps coming back.

Does anyone have any idea how to rid myself of this?

Thanks

Old
03-06-2005, 10:03 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
I am by no means a computer guru, but I run a firewall, scan for spyware almost daily, but I can't seem to get rid of this annoying problem with my computer.

I have somehow gotten some kind of ad-bug on my computer than puts annoying links on keywords like "money" and "computer" with a link to some site. I have ran multiple scans, followed the directions on the link below about spyware but to no avail, this sucker keeps coming back.

Does anyone have any idea how to rid myself of this?

Thanks
Sounds like hotlinks that are embedded in the webpage, certain words will get hotlinked and when you click on them, they'll point you to a sponsor's site. That's nothing new, just new ways of advertising, dpreview.com does it, words like memory, digital camera will get hotlinked and direct you to some web store.

Old
03-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Sounds like hotlinks that are embedded in the webpage, certain words will get hotlinked and when you click on them, they'll point you to a sponsor's site. That's nothing new, just new ways of advertising, dpreview.com does it, words like memory, digital camera will get hotlinked and direct you to some web store.
I don't think its that, because I get it on almost every site I visit from hfboards to Card Player and so on.

It's some kind of bug that links me to 3rd party sites by searching the pages for keywords. Its such a pain in the butt.

Old
03-06-2005, 11:11 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
I don't think its that, because I get it on almost every site I visit from hfboards to Card Player and so on.

It's some kind of bug that links me to 3rd party sites by searching the pages for keywords. Its such a pain in the butt.
Are you running IE? I would see if it's also doing the same in other browsers like Firefox, Opera, etc. Also, see if there are any odd programs running in your processes tab (ctrl-alt-del) and type in msconfig (Win key-R) in the run menu and see what is loading at startup.

Old
03-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:

Herby what is up man!

Are you using Internet Explorer or Mozilla?

If you run IE are you using any toolbars? If you have one in place like google or yahoo, right click on it and see if there are any extra toolbars listed.

Also what anti-spyware are you using. Microsoft anti-spyware works very well if you haven't used it yet
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Old
03-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Allan

If you are using IE, go to Tools, then Internet Options, then the Advanced tab. Clear the check box beside "Enable third-party browser extensions," then restart Explorer. It won't remove the root cause, but the problem should stop.

Closed Thread