HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bought a Wood Stick Today...

Old
06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Bought a Wood Stick Today...

...and it lasted forty minutes. 40, four zero.

I went to the shooting range and didn't have a stick with me, so I bought a Bauer One55, PM9, 87 flex, for $22. I wanted to try a longer stick anyway and see how a stiff flex felt.

It shot pretty good, was fairly light weight, didn't torque on me at all, and was fun to use. My slappers were bombs and wristers were quick too (tried a new technique).

So I bring my new stick home, and I see how long it is (eyebrows in bare feet), lean on it a little (and I mean a little, I'm barely flexing it), and it snapped in half. Completely shattered.

And here I was, ready to use my new wood stick in pickup next week, thought maybe the whip flex composite thing wasn't so important, if it's good enough for Bobby Orr, etc...and it lasted 40 minutes. I'm not a big guy, I'm 5'8 170, and the damn thing exploded.

Let's do some quick math, my Harrow 300 rig cost me $85, and so far I've used it for maybe 12 games and 3 shooting range sessions, maybe a total of 675 minutes, and it still looks new. But even if it snaps on the next use, that's 16 cents per minute. The $22 One55 lasted about 40 minutes, 55 cents per minute. Not so cheap anymore. And my Dolomite lasted an entire season, about a dozen shooting range sessions, and half of summer league for 1800 minutes at $160 before I sold it (still was in good shape) for 9 cents per minute.

Conclusion: wood sticks are a nice toy and all, but back to the real thing.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:36 PM
DevsFan84

Those one55 woodies are terrible. I had more than a few people come back to me after taking one shot and snapping them.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 11:46 PM
BringTheReign

I broke my One55 the exact same way, within the first 10 minutes of practice mine just snapped right in the middle. Bauer used to make wood sticks that I loved to use but now they're all terrible. Sherwood and Easton are the only companies that make half-decent wood sticks anymore.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I think you need a bigger sample size before you can jump to those sorts of general conclusions.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well the last several wood sticks I bought were either impossible to flex or the blade was too flimsy to use. This one was the first that I could flex just a bit as well as stayed stiff at the blade. Unfortunately my favorite wood sticks (Montreal 4400) are no longer made.

Of the four sticks I've broken while shooting, three have been wood, and the composite snapped on the first shot. With broken blades, three have been wood, and one has been composite.

Of the probably 60 sticks I've used, only about 10 have been wood...so the failure rate for wood for me is 6 in 10, and the failure rate of composites is 2 in 50.

Old
06-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
I think you need a bigger sample size before you can jump to those sorts of general conclusions.
This.

I still use wood sticks every so often and mine never break as quick as you're claiming. Most of my wood sticks actually last an entire season. Also, wood sticks made by Bauer are terrible.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not too sure, I don't want to drop another $25 and have it snap right away.

My Montreal 4400's usually lasted about 10-12 games, pretty decent for a wood stick. Very light weight, good flex, very stiff blades. Discontinued, but they were $40, so roughly $3.33 per use.

5030's usually started going soft at the blade after a few games, and they usually were unusable after 7 or 8. They're pretty heavy and too stiff flex for my tastes. Again, $40, roughly $5 per use.

Eastons are terrible, blade went soft after 2-3 games, heavy as a log, way too thick, and way too stiff. $25, roughly $8.33 per use.

The Bauers I've used, the One40/One55 blades were usually pretty good (except intermediates which were way too flimsy), the flex was pretty decent, and the weight was pretty good. I've actually used a few One40's and liked them in the past, which was why I was kind of excited about the One55 at first, but then it shattered. I typically got 10-12 games out of them before they went soft, but this one was a single use. $25, roughly $2 per use but this last one was $25.

My composites usually average about $85 since I buy them on sale, and I usually get 25 uses out of them then sell them for about half what I paid. So they usually run around $1.70 per use.

Old
06-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I've heard that one-pieces are actually more durable than wood sticks, because wood sticks go soft to the point where we don't like to use them anymore, but one-pieces don't do that, they just break in a more spectacular way, so we tend to think they're more fragile.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For the pros, most sticks break as a result of slashes, but they also get modified sticks that are not as durable as the retail ones. I'd guess I've played maybe 125-150 times the last several years and probably have only seen less than 10 sticks break. Figure 20 skaters a side, 90 minutes a game...they're more than durable enough for us average joes.

Old
06-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post

this

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Razzmatazz

I have NEVER bought a composite stick, only wood, and I have never had a shaft break on me. Yes, I've gone through a few sticks, but most of it is due to damage incurred to the blade from bad matches in lie and stick length (not something I ever realized until reading these forums), where my stick being too long fractures at the heel of the blade because of it's high lie. Had I understood that at the time, I wouldn't have gone through so many sticks. They aren't very bendy, but they take abuse much better than the composites. I do have to question the masculinity of a grown man who uses a children's flex on his stick, I'm pretty sure 65 is there for the ladies to use.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Alright, I'll pick up another one this weekend and see what happens. Damn thing better not shatter on me though, I'll be pissed.

Old
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

You deserved it for buying a crappy wooden stick.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How is it crappy? Same thing as a 5030.

One55:

Construction:
Aircraft birch veneer reinforcement
Aspen Core
Shaft:
Traditional shaft dimensions
Geometry:
Traditional stick construction
Grip:
Traditional smooth stick finish
Blade:
Solid ash blade
Fiberglass reinforced blade wrap with Kevlar aramid wearband
Flex: 87
Length: 57"
Weight: 635 grams (weight based on 87 flex PM9 curve stick)

5030:

Shaft:
Two-piece Aspen wood core
Reinforced with birch multi-lamination
Blade:
Superior white Ash wood blade
Reinforced with multidirectional and highly impact-resistant fiberglass
Flex:
Senior 85
Length:
Senior 59"
(Sherwood states this stick is 59", but it's measures closer to a 58" stick)

Old
06-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Alright, I'll pick up another one this weekend and see what happens. Damn thing better not shatter on me though, I'll be pissed.
While leaning on sticks, you have to consider the material. While it will flex in the motion of a shot, all of that motion's happening in a period of a few hundredths of a second. If you are slowly bending it, the collective stress over time may be what is breaking it. I don't recommend doing the leaning test with the woodies. Assume they are stiff.

I've used two different sticks since I've started playing.

The PMPX 9950s are really stiff with the 105 flex, but very durable.

I used a couple of those Reebok 2Ks, fiberglass blade and an 85 flex, but they are a little more fragile. I was able to strip off the wood on the blade that had cracked, leaving the fiberglass part on, and double taped it for using on the asphalt, which actually works pretty well facing the high friction.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
You deserved it for buying a crappy wooden stick.
This guy has no idea what he's talking about. The One55 that I used for a quarter of a season was pretty good, as it was my first season. Lightweight and it felt comfortable in my hands. I gave it to a friend after cutting it too short

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
I do have to question the masculinity of a grown man who uses a children's flex on his stick, I'm pretty sure 65 is there for the ladies to use.
F that, I'm not ashamed of my 67 flex Bauer, I love it. Why would I want to use a stick with a higher flex rating when the 67 is perfect for my build and kicks like a mother****er on my shots? The best thing I ever did for my game in terms of equipment was to switch to intermediate sticks.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep, Brett Hull was a weakling too. And I don't think I'd ever question the masculinity of Wes Walz, who used a 60 flex Warrior!

Old
06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
F that, I'm not ashamed of my 67 flex Bauer, I love it. Why would I want to use a stick with a higher flex rating when the 67 is perfect for my build and kicks like a mother****er on my shots? The best thing I ever did for my game in terms of equipment was to switch to intermediate sticks.
Yeah, if that 67 flex works for him, I'd like to see you question his masc. after he rips a wrister on you guys

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Lario Melieux*

When you say shooting range do you mean stick time, or an actual hockey shooting range???

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Hockeyfan68

A tip for anyone buying wood with respect to the shaft ... always buy a fiberglas laminated shaft. ALWAYS.

If not they will break on you .... which is not say I've not brioken shafts on woodies before because I have. A couple of times taking a faceoff on the backhand.

I always used fiberglas lams though but did like the PMP 5030 sticks even though they did not last long.

Best sticks in my opinion for wood that are durable are the Montreal sticks, they cost $40 each but they last.

Nothing has lasted me longer than the composite sticks but alas that is an often too much mentioned debate in here. This old man who used wood for 35 years will never go back to wood.

Jarick, even if you find a durable woodie the blade will turn to **** after about 30 of your slapshots. YOU'RE A SHOOTER don't waste money on wood, they don't last at all anywhere near as much as a compo.

I used to go through a lot of wood sticks aty $25 to $35 a pop, I've saved so much money buying composites in the last year and a half.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 06-02-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:48 AM
timekeep

Remember wood sticks dry out and cause the breaks in the shaft very easily. If you are buying old wood sticks don't expect them to last too long. Usually these are the sale ones. The blades weaken because of the water staying in the tape and breaking down the wood. Like Hockeyfan68 says buy the fibreglass laminated ones for some extra life. They don't make wood sticks like they use to, too expensive.

Have you ever tried buying a composite shaft and putting wood blades, cheaper way to go.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:04 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

i remember the best nike stick was the one40. sooo awesome and light. but fibreglass sticks might be a good idea, i think easton has those right?

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One40 is the same thing as One55.

It could have been dried out...who knows.

The only problem with the fiberglass or carbon reinforced sticks is that it goes up way over 100 flex uncut and they're several inches longer, so when I'd cut them down they'd be about 110-120 flex!

Old
06-03-2010, 02:27 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

but i thought you wanna try a longer stick?

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote