HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign G Cory Schneider to 2-Year, 1-Way Contract - $900K/season

Old
06-02-2010, 03:17 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Raycroft could afford to sign for less with the Canucks ($500,000) as the Leafs were still paying him on the buyout of his previous contract last season ($733,333).

This season I he will be likely looking for a contract of $1.5 - $2 million.
He might not get 1.5-2 mil, but more than $500,000 for sure. He definitely played well enough that some team will sign him at a higher contract.

So signing Schneider as slotting him in as the back up is the logical move. Not really any other choices we have to be honest.

06-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Bean in Charge

so.. our potential goaltending depth looks like

Lui
Schneider
Lack

Is that it? I'm assuming raycroft will be gone and clark will not be offered a contract.

We could probably use one or two more goalies in our system for AHL/ECHL and general depth.

Bean in Charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
For an AHL goalie unproven in the NHL, just under $1M is rich. I don't know the comps but $600-700K would be more reasonable. Maybe the RFA rules played into that.

Cedric Desjardins has similar AHL stats and he's been on the 500K program.
I was hoping for something lower as well (in the 700k-800k range) but it's possible that Gillis had to pay a little extra to get Schneider to sign that 2nd year which potentially takes away the UFA ability that Schneider has after this season.

At the end of the day it's entirely possible that Schneider gets traded before the season starts and that 900k isn't even on our cap anymore but it's a reasonable deal when you think about the fact that someone out there might see Schneider as a starter for the 2011-2012 season and his cap hit will be less then a million.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Wetcoaster

The Vancouver Sun's Elliott Pap is reporting it as a two year deal @ $900,000 per season:
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...893/story.html

Schneider's past NHL salary was $984,200 so his upcoming QO would have been $1 million - normally a 10% raise on the QO to $1,082,620 but like Wellwood last year any contract under $1 million carries an upper limit on the QO of $1 million.

There has yet to be any solid indication if this is a one way contract but given the 2 year term and the dollar value that seems likely.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean in Charge View Post
so.. our potential goaltending depth looks like

Lui
Schneider
Lack

Is that it? I'm assuming raycroft will be gone and clark will not be offered a contract.

We could probably use one or two more goalies in our system for AHL/ECHL and general depth.
If Campbell drops to us in the draft we could pick him up... But i`d only do that if there was no other obvious choice. And honestly I bet he`ll be picked before 20.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:32 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
If Campbell drops to us in the draft we could pick him up... But i`d only do that if there was no other obvious choice. And honestly I bet he`ll be picked before 20.
If there are no good D left and we're not trading up, Campbell would be a good pick up. He can delelop for 5 years then he'll be 23 Luongo will be around 36.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
TSN confirms, two-years, 1-way at $900,000 per season.

I would be surprised if the Canucks don't add another veteran goaltender for depth/push. Someone of the Wade Flaherty ilk who is likely Moose bound, but has some NHL experience to fall back on if the Canucks need someone to step in or if Schneider falters.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Already been mentioned that Bob McKenzie tweeted it's a one way contract
When I read the post it said one year deal. I see it now has been amended.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
We're not going to draft another goaltender in the first round.

There are plenty of solid goaltenders available in the later rounds so it makes more sense to take your chances in the 5th-7th rounds with a pick.

Using our first round pick on a goaltender would be the stupidest thing we could do.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
awesome

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:45 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Interesting signing, it's a tiny bit less than what I was expecting Schneider to make as our backup next season so I guess I have to be happy with it. I think Gillis could have potentially gotten him for less on a one year deal but I'm glad he went two years for sure. Whether you want to trade him or not, his trade value could be pretty awesome at the deadline next season (or next summer).

I think they'll sign somebody else as well. I picture somebody much more experienced in case Schneider falters but with a primary role of mentoring Lack in Manitoba.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
For an AHL goalie unproven in the NHL, just under $1M is rich. I don't know the comps but $600-700K would be more reasonable. Maybe the RFA rules played into that.

Cedric Desjardins has similar AHL stats and he's been on the 500K program.
Desjardins also played on one of the better teams in the AHL, particularly defensively. Canucks and Moose D was ravaged by injury. Schneider still had similar numbers in many more games. Schneider is a former 1st round pick, with talent, size and pedigree. He is a much better NHL prospect than Cedric Desjardins. Stats aren't everything.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Reign Nateo

I invision Schneider playing considerably more than Raycroft. Gillis has alluded to the fact that fatigue was a major concern for Luongo this past season. Too many games, as well as Olympic pressure. I expect they're attempting to ease Lu's work-load as well as increase Schneider's trade value. Similar scenario to the Wild and Josh Harding.

If he excells, we have a solid trade chip on our hands. Another solid move by Gillis. If people around here were in charge, we would have already deal Schneider to the Blues for TJ Fast.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Of course he's movable but it won't be easy, he has a NTC. Luongo has an out in year 5 and Canucks have an out in year 7.
what does this mean exactly?

i am imagining that this "out" means that the canucks have a window in year 7 when they can trade/waive/demote luongo. but then what is luongo's "out" in year 5? isn't he entitled to waive his NTC at any point in his contract?

and, as i understand the current CBA, neither party can dissolve the contract at any point for the duration, so it can't be an "opt out" clause, right?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Brain Sergeant
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
what does this mean exactly?

i am imagining that this "out" means that the canucks have a window in year 7 when they can trade/waive/demote luongo. but then what is luongo's "out" in year 5? isn't he entitled to waive his NTC at any point in his contract?

and, as i understand the current CBA, neither party can dissolve the contract at any point for the duration, so it can't be an "opt out" clause, right?
It means in year 5 Luongo can waive his NMC and offer a set of teams he would like to be dealt to. In year 7 the NMC clause ends.

Brain Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
Interesting signing, it's a tiny bit less than what I was expecting Schneider to make as our backup next season so I guess I have to be happy with it. I think Gillis could have potentially gotten him for less on a one year deal but I'm glad he went two years for sure. Whether you want to trade him or not, his trade value could be pretty awesome at the deadline next season (or next summer).
A 1 year deal would have meant he'd become a UFA next July (unless he played 21 or more games this season, which is kind of stretching it unless Luongo gets injured), thus making him an almost worthless asset. With a 2 year deal, he'll have two full seasons to pick up the 21 games required to keep him an RFA and that'll make him much more valuable. Any cap savings would be dwarfed by the loss in value of him as a tradeable asset.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:26 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

I'll miss Razor, but Schneider's upside is definitely much higher so I'm a fan of this deal.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
It means in year 5 Luongo can waive his NMC and offer a set of teams he would like to be dealt to. In year 7 the NMC clause ends.
he can't do that whenever he wants to anyway? isn't that what dany heatley did?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I think they'll sign somebody else as well. I picture somebody much more experienced in case Schneider falters but with a primary role of mentoring Lack in Manitoba.
Or if somebody gets hurt. Probably a guy with NHL experience who can play at least half Manitoba's games if need be. Dany Sabourin's available.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:36 PM
timw33

Glad he's signed.

Really want him to get at least 15-18 NHL games this year and push Luongo to be better and less complacent with his starting job.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Meganuck*

Good that he's signed and has a great attitude based on that interview with Moj.

I'm hoping for 20-25. Which Gillis just confirmed on 1040.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

^Good....hopefully more rest will mean a better Luongo.

Wonder if this is all for player moves today....would have loved to hear something about any of Raymond, Hansen or O'Brien. The sooner these types of things are dealt with, the better idea we'll have of what to expect when free agency hits.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Askel

Good sign especially since its 2 years.

Askel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^Good....hopefully more rest will mean a better Luongo.

Wonder if this is all for player moves today....would have loved to hear something about any of Raymond, Hansen or O'Brien. The sooner these types of things are dealt with, the better idea we'll have of what to expect when free agency hits.
I'm guessing that Raymond is probably the next priority in terms of signings and then the other 2. Who knows, SOB may not even be in the plans to sign.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

about time this kid gets a chance, who knows how he will do, hope he does well.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote