HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

Old
06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
tbrads

vCash: 500
Off-Season Thread (Discussion of Kovy's rights goes here for now)

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=323386

Last edited by Live in the Now: 06-19-2010 at 02:46 PM.
tbrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:50 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrads View Post
It's all news we already knew..

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

How could Jones have a higher rating then O'D?

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
two-way centre, Jarret Stoll plays a sound game and his ability to run the point on the power play enhances his value
jeeezzz.............

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
How could Jones have a higher rating then O'D?
He had a rating higher than Greene too. The reason was points
Jones had 21
O'D had 15

I wouldn't put too much stock in to those ratings BTW

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:03 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
He had a rating higher than Greene too. The reason was points
Jones had 21
O'D had 15

I wouldn't put too much stock in to those ratings BTW
I agree. Just thought it was funny.

Old
06-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
jeeezzz.............
be honest kurrilino.

What's with the Stoll hate?

We understand He isn't an elite second line center. But, He's adequate, he's a faceoff wizz, he can run the point, he's good on the PK , and has been pretty instrumental in turning this franchise around.

Did he try to wreck your girlfriend?

Old
06-02-2010, 05:07 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
be honest kurrilino.

We understand He isn't an elite second line center. But, He's adequate, he's a faceoff wizz, he can run the point, he's good on the PK , and has been pretty instrumental in turning this franchise around.

LMFAO!

It's because he can't hit the net from the point, and pretty much is only good for winning faceoffs and PK, and that's not worth $3.5M.

Old
06-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
LMFAO!

It's because he can't hit the net from the point, and pretty much is only good for winning faceoffs and PK, and that's not worth $3.5M.
IMO 20 goals and 50 points, while being a faceoff guy and playing both special teams while being a "good locker room guy" who is a good mentor for the kids is worth $3.5M.

Do I think Stoll is our franchise second line center? Absolutely not? Do i think He is a place holder? yes

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 06-02-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old
06-02-2010, 05:26 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
be honest kurrilino.

Not as much Stoll hate as Richardson love.

DL's #1 priority will be a puck moving defenseman.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:41 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Not as much Stoll hate as Richardson love.

DL's #1 priority will be a puck moving defenseman.
Did you read the interview today? He said he needed one but that since he has several in the system already, he will likely just suck it up for a year until one is ready (likely with a stoogap defender like Leopold), whereas he doesn't have solutions in the system at forward. He al but blatantly said flaqt out that because of our system, he will address forward through UFA and the dman through the system.

I'm sure he will look fcor a defenseman to bridge the gap to voynov/hickey, but his number 1 priority will be to add a top 6 winger. Parse doesn't cut it and we still have a big hole in the top 6 unless he expects Simmomds to fill it, which would mean we have an even bigger hole in the bottom six.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:43 PM
KingLB

The way I see it (and agree with Kuri even if for different reasons) is that Stoll isn't good enough to be a second line center on a "great" team(conference finalist). Which makes him a 3rd line center on that team, problem is he makes to much money to be a 3rd line center, thus making him a bad fit for a team trying to win a cup, at least imo. Also Stoll can not run the point at all....his shot sucks (don't care how hard it is, Quincey did wrist shots and was way more productive) and his passing is sub-par, the 2 biggest needs of someone "running the point"

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Did you read the interview today? He said he needed one but that since he has several in the system already, he will likely just suck it up for a year until one is ready (likely with a stoogap defender like Leopold), whereas he doesn't have solutions in the system at forward. He al but blatantly said flaqt out that because of our system, he will address forward through UFA and the dman through the system.
To be fair, Lombardi is a lawyer... I don't believe a word he says to the press anymore. I just enjoy the flair.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Johnny Utah

Do we think Williams will be bought out or the Kings let him ride out this last year of his contract?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Do we think Williams will be bought out or the Kings let him ride out this last year of his contract?
This is the last year of his contract. Why buy him out?

He's got a lot to prove this year to us or other organizations for the big free agent contract. He's only 28. He's got a lot of hockey and days on the IR ahead of him

Old
06-02-2010, 05:57 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
To be fair, Lombardi is a lawyer... I don't believe a word he says to the press anymore. I just enjoy the flair.
He may be a lawyer, but I think he states his mind, or at least, all the thoughts and options running through it. You can kind of figure out which option he likes more based on his phrasing.

Really, phrasing of his thoughts is where the lawyer speak comes into play. He isn't lying about his thoughts, but he uses specific language to make nothing he says definite, so that you can't hold him to anything.

Sure he could be lying, but Lombardi, for as much as he speaks, says more with what he doesn't say than what he actually does.

Old
06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I can't imagine him being bought out. He is basically where he was when we acquired him. Coming off an(other) injury-riddled season. He had a great start to the season and if I remember correctly he was basically at a point-per-game pace when Smyth first got injured.

A healthy Williams is a good player and we should definitely give him another chance, especially since he is in a contract year.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:12 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
The way I see it (and agree with Kuri even if for different reasons) is that Stoll isn't good enough to be a second line center on a "great" team(conference finalist). Which makes him a 3rd line center on that team, problem is he makes to much money to be a 3rd line center, thus making him a bad fit for a team trying to win a cup, at least imo. Also Stoll can not run the point at all....his shot sucks (don't care how hard it is, Quincey did wrist shots and was way more productive) and his passing is sub-par, the 2 biggest needs of someone "running the point"
He's already proven that wrong.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:

I'm sure he will look fcor a defenseman to bridge the gap to voynov/hickey, but his number 1 priority will be to add a top 6 winger. Parse doesn't cut it and we still have a big hole in the top 6 unless he expects Simmomds to fill it, which would mean we have an even bigger hole in the bottom six.
I sure did and feel he's leaning heavily towards a puck mover. The forwards will improve by receiving tape to tape passes allowing them to gain the zone with speed. I don't see the need to overpay a Kovalchuk...

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:24 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
I sure did and feel he's leaning heavily towards a puck mover. The forwards will improve by receiving tape to tape passes allowing them to gain the zone with speed. I don't see the need to overpay a Kovalchuk...
I don't think anyone does.

No one here is advocating "overpaying" Kovalchuk.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:34 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
He may be a lawyer, but I think he states his mind, or at least, all the thoughts and options running through it. You can kind of figure out which option he likes more based on his phrasing.

Really, phrasing of his thoughts is where the lawyer speak comes into play. He isn't lying about his thoughts, but he uses specific language to make nothing he says definite, so that you can't hold him to anything.

Sure he could be lying, but Lombardi, for as much as he speaks, says more with what he doesn't say than what he actually does.
That. And what he said is true on paper, we've got good puck-movers out the ying-yang. But no forwards in the org. that can make a significant impact next year.

Old
06-02-2010, 06:36 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I did not say kovalchuk. I said his 1st priority will be to upgrade the top 6. That doesnt necessarily mean kovalchuk.

Old
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
That. And what he said is true on paper, we've got good puck-movers out the ying-yang. But no forwards in the org. that can make a significant impact next year.
Are they ready though?

Or does he grab a guy like Kaberle on a 1 year deal?

Old
06-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
IMO 20 goals and 50 points, while being a faceoff guy and playing both special teams while being a "good locker room guy" who is a good mentor for the kids is worth $3.5M.

Do I think Stoll is our franchise second line center? Absolutely not? Do i think He is a place holder? yes
He's certainly not the prototypical second-line center on a championship team that most would imagine, but he's not as worthless and needing of being blown out as some would like to believe either.

If you look at what Stoll brings to the ice -- face-off skills, grit, shot blocking ability (recall the multiple Youtube videos that Ziggy linked) -- he's comparable to guys like Mike Fisher ($4,200,000) of Ottawa and Dave Bolland ($3,375,000) of Chicago who all contribute on good teams and is similarly paid.

He isn't what you look for offensively, but he's got value on a successful team as well. The main problem is that the Kings already have a player serving that role in Handzus so Stoll is more of a luxury item than anything.

One thing I'd like to also point out is that there would be no accomplished right-handed centers on the team to take face-offs if Stoll is moved. It's a small detail, but taking the draw on the strong side does get played up a lot as being important in the defensive zone.

Kopitar (lefty)
Handzus (lefty)
Richardson (lefty)
Loktionov (lefty)
Schenn (lefty)

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
He's already proven that wrong.
OOOOH that 8 seed that made a one year run and missed the playoffs the next year yup good thing they had that great second line center. That year of course he provided a massive 10 pts in 24 games!!!! Playoff hero imo...O lets add that Stoll had 1 pt in the playoffs this year in 6 games!...people wanna say the Kings have trouble scoring 5v5 its because a lack of a second line that this is the case.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote