HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign D Peter Andersson

Old
06-02-2010, 12:20 PM
ChemicalHansen

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Canucks sign D Peter Andersson

As per CDC:

Quote:
Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have signed 2009 draft picks Anton Rodin and Peter Andersson. In keeping with club policy terms of the deal were not disclosed.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:24 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Awesome! Just asked about him in the Rodin thread and MG delivers
This morning, in fact (as per TC_Carling):

Quote:
Canucks sign 2009 draft picks ANTON RODIN and PETER ANDERSSON to contracts this morning.
I wonder if it was photographed? TC_Carling usually delivers on that front.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Nice to see, Andersson had an underrated season last year, unfortunately cut short by injury. Hopefully he gets to be a part of Sweden's WJC team again this year.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Tiranis

Gillis is very organized. I like it.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Lard_Lad

Good to see all the deals for the prospects getting finished early. More time for Gillis to focus on other things in the summer now.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Andersson will also be staying in Sweden for at least one more year.

"It's a mutual decision between me and Vancouver. Frölunda is a good team for me."

"I'm happy, obviously. Lots of people have congratulated me. It still hasn't really sunk in yet."

"I will be staying with Frölunda. If I practice hard, I might head over next year or the year after that."

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
RobertKron

I'd imagine that with Andersson and Rodin, they would have talked this over with their respective teams, and the loan agreement would have recall clauses that could see the players headed to Manitoba if they're not seeing the type of situations that the Canucks would like to have them in.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I'd imagine that with Andersson and Rodin, they would have talked this over with their respective teams, and the loan agreement would have recall clauses that could see the players headed to Manitoba if they're not seeing the type of situations that the Canucks would like to have them in.
Doubtful. The SEL is a professional league. They're counting on having their players available all season.

Old
06-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

I think the SEL/Allsvenskan is the best fit for Andersson, actually. At present, the Moose have a huge glut of defensemen and they still need to acquire a few vets, IMO. His development will be best served this season with Frolunda.

Systemfel, where do you think Andersson rates on the depth chart for Sweden at the WJCs, this year? He was added on as a result of injury last year, do you think he'll make the first cut this time around?

Old
06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Doubtful. The SEL is a professional league. They're counting on having their players available all season.
I meant more in the case of them being sent down to a lower division. Either way, I'd imagine that the Canucks would have discussed with those teams what both parties' expectations are for those players this season before loaning them out. For what it's worth, I think that both players are likely much better off staying in Sweden for now than coming across the water anyway.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
FacepalmBenning
FIRE EVERYONE

Real excited about Andersson, I think he's going to wind up being a steal. A 6'5 silky smooth defenseman than can play in all three zones at his level. I've been an advocate of his since we drafted him and I am happy we signed him. I wish we could see Rodin and Andersson in Manitoba next year but it's comforting to know that at least they're in the system. As a Canucks fan, it's a little uncomfortable to actually hear our draft picks names again a year or more after their drafts in anything different than a joking context.

FacepalmBenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Systemfel, where do you think Andersson rates on the depth chart for Sweden at the WJCs, this year? He was added on as a result of injury last year, do you think he'll make the first cut this time around?
He should make the third pairing at least, depending on OEL and Tim Erixson's situations. He could be the #2 or #3 d-man if both of those stay/head over.

Quote:
I meant more in the case of them being sent down to a lower division. Either way, I'd imagine that the Canucks would have discussed with those teams what both parties' expectations are for those players this season before loaning them out. For what it's worth, I think that both players are likely much better off staying in Sweden for now than coming across the water anyway.
Of course, I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
A 6'5 silky smooth defenseman
6'3. You should be excited, I think he will turn out to be a steal too. Poor man's Edler.

Old
06-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Under the new transfer agreement the Canucks don't have to agree to Rodin and Andersson playing in Sweden next year. Swedish players under 22 and not drafted in the first round have the option to return to Sweden if they don't make their NHL team. So it is totally up to the players if they want to play in the SEL or AHL until they are 22, even with an NHL contract.

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:38 PM
timw33

Last few days have been great, getting all our promising prospects, especially our D prospects signed as well as new NCAA signings (Tanev).

Andersson has been quite the pleasant surprise. We need those kinds of surprises to make our lineups down the road and be cheap productive players for the duration of their ELC's

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Askel

One good thing about them staying and dveloping Sweden is that it doesnt burn a year of the ELC.

Askel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:58 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
You should be excited, I think he will turn out to be a steal too. Poor man's Edler.
As far as comparisons to Edler go, how does he compare, temperment-wise? Edler always seems so passive, I'd like some surliness back there.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
As far as comparisons to Edler go, how does he compare, temperment-wise? Edler always seems so passive, I'd like some surliness back there.
From what I gather, Andersson is pretty passive as well. Although I don't know passive is the right word..."not overly aggressive" might be a better way to describe both of those guys.

Old
06-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Askel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
I don't think that's right. For Rodin he counts as a 20 year old (CBA counts you as 20 if you turn 20 between Sept 16 and Dec 31, which Rodin does) and the CBA counts SEL as a "Professional League" (not sure about Allsvenskan) so I'm pretty sure he loses a year. Andersson turned 19 in April so his contract would extend one year.
Not sure you are right here Rodin doent get salary from the NHl how can he loose a year from his ELC. Canucks can not call him up, he is still in Sweden.

Old
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Not sure you are right here Rodin doent get salary from the NHl how can he loose a year from his ELC. Canucks can not call him up, he is still in Sweden.
You don't have to earn NHL salary to burn a year off your ELC.

If you are playing professionally, it counts against your 3 years of ELCs. If you have prospects sitting around in the AHL for 3 years with no NHL callups, their contracts expire.

Old
06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Askel

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
You don't have to earn NHL salary to burn a year off your ELC.

If you are playing professionally, it counts against your 3 years of ELCs. If you have prospects sitting around in the AHL for 3 years with no NHL callups, their contracts expire.
I know but if you are in the AHL you can stilll be called up. If Rodins playing in Sweden he cant be called up. He might as well play in juniors/not have a contract.

I might very well be wrong, but it seems weird that Gillis would sign Rodin and send him back if he loses a year of the ELC and cant use hin that would be bad assest managment since we could have waited until next yer to sign him if that is the case.

Old
06-02-2010, 06:31 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Good Day... Mr Andersson.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
KRM

If the player doesn't play more then nine games in the NHL during the first contract year the first year of the contract that year doesn't trigger. Regardless of what league the player is playing in instead of the NHL.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
If the player doesn't play more then nine games in the NHL during the first contract year the first year of the contract that year doesn't trigger. Regardless of what league the player is playing in instead of the NHL.
That's not how it works at all...

Pretty sure that only applies to players who are still junior eligible.

Otherwise the guys toiling in the AHL not getting any NHL games would permanently be on the first year of their ELC since they haven't played NHL games.

The key is them playing pro hockey.

Old
06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
pitseleh

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right tim.

Jonas Junland was drafted in 2006 as a November 1987 birthday, was signed June 2007 as a 19 year old, played the next year in the SEL and will become a RFA this offseason three years after signing his contract (a year in the SEL and two years in the AHL).

Rodin is in the same boat.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
That's not how it works at all...

Pretty sure that only applies to players who are still junior eligible.

Otherwise the guys toiling in the AHL not getting any NHL games would permanently be on the first year of their ELC since they haven't played NHL games.

The key is them playing pro hockey.
Not if they're 18 or 19 years old. In they are under 20 and play pro hockey (Whether it's European or AHL), they still don't burn a year off their ELC as long as they don't play 10 NHL games. That's not an issue for CHL players since they can't play in the AHL regularly until they're 20, but if a European player or NCAA player spends a year in the AHL at the age of 19, his ELC is still fully intact. Once the player turns 20, he can burn off a year of his ELC in any professional league whether it's the NHL or not.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote