HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign D Peter Andersson

Old
06-02-2010, 09:05 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Only if they sign the ELC when they're 18 or 19 (as long as they don't turn 20 between September 15 or December 31). Schroeder turns 20 on Sept 29 while Rodin turns 20 on Nov 29. Both players burn a year on their ELC next season regardless if they play in the NHL or not.
Unless Rodin is coming over to play on the Moose, I wonder what benefit the Canucks see in signing him now? They could have just signed him next year and not burned a year off of his ELC this season.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 09:12 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Yeah...I have no idea the rationale for signing them now and not next season.
At least with Schroeder, it makes sense to get him into the AHL. I don't get it with Rodin.

Unless the Canucks for some reason think it's worthwhile to have him finish his ELC earlier (cheaper second contract)?

Old
06-02-2010, 09:16 PM
pitseleh

Anderson is a 1991 though, so I believe he doesn't burn a year off of his ELC this season. Rodin does because he turns 20 between September and December.

Old
06-02-2010, 10:23 PM
timw33

Capgeek has him at 681K per year.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Ziostilon

why can't we call either Rodin or Andersson up

they've got a deal signed with us. and its us thats loaning them back to their SEL teams. Does Brynas or Frolunda even have to pay any sum of money for the loan?
Or are we doing it for free.

Unlike soccer, i don't think the IIHF nor the NHL has a player transaction deadline. well, at least we know the NHL trade deadline isn't until Feb, March

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Komarov47

very good news for the Nucks, Andersson is Edler's clone. He really is a good d-man, i saw him twice with Frolunda, he skate well, have a good shot. Wow Manitoba defense will look great, Sweat-Baumgartner-Andersson-Oberg-Ramsey...

Damn the SEL is really a gold mine. Josefsson and Tedenby signed by the Devils, Rodin & Andersson signed by the Nucks, Engvist signed by the Habs, Paajarvi-Svnesson signed by the Oilers, Markstrom signed by the Panthers, Holos signed with the Avs, Johansson signed by the Capitals....

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
At least with Schroeder, it makes sense to get him into the AHL. I don't get it with Rodin.

Unless the Canucks for some reason think it's worthwhile to have him finish his ELC earlier (cheaper second contract)?
If you project what Rodin's future may look like you might get something like this:

10-11=SEL
11-12=AHL
12-13=NHL/AHL

It's entirely possible that after his ELC is done Rodin will likely have completed his rookie season in the NHL and at that point you might just be able to get a cheaper 2nd contract rather then risking that he breaks out the season after that.

With how deep we are at the wing position it's pretty safe to say that he's at least 2 seasons away from seeing some NHL action so perhaps the Canucks are gambling that the 2012-2013 season won't be Rodin's possible breakout season which gives them a chance to get Rodin signed at a much better deal.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Askel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post

they've got a deal signed with us. and its us thats loaning them back to their SEL teams. Does Brynas or Frolunda even have to pay any sum of money for the loan?
Or are we doing it for free.

Unlike soccer, i don't think the IIHF nor the NHL has a player transaction deadline. well, at least we know the NHL trade deadline isn't until Feb, March
Im pretty sure the transferdeal betwen SEL/NHL prohibits that. SEL is not a minor league. Also Rodin has a contract with Brynäs and they are paying his salary.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:

they've got a deal signed with us. and its us thats loaning them back to their SEL teams.
If a under-22 non-first round pick doesn't make his NHL team, it's his right to chose to return to Sweden, and it's pretty certain that neither Andersson nor Rödin would make it.

It has nothing to do with the Canucks "being nice" Brynäs/Frölunda.

Quote:
Does Brynas or Frolunda even have to pay any sum of money for the loan? Or are we doing it for free.
Why would they? Brynäs/Frölunda will be paying the salaries agreed to in their SEL contracts, so the players are de facto Brynäs/Frölunda property the upcoming the season.

Quote:
Maybe the fact they're signed to Vancouver they had a bit more influence with Brynas and Frolunda? Tell those clubs to give these guys ice time or they're leaving your club completely? I really don't know.
No, the SEL isn't the AHL. Brynäs/Frölunda will be paying the guys, they can do whatever they want with them.

Last edited by Systemfel: 06-03-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I think the SEL/Allsvenskan is the best fit for Andersson, actually. At present, the Moose have a huge glut of defensemen and they still need to acquire a few vets, IMO. His development will be best served this season with Frolunda.
Systemfel, where do you think Andersson rates on the depth chart for Sweden at the WJCs, this year? He was added on as a result of injury last year, do you think he'll make the first cut this time around?
Assuming the Canucks are happy with the way those guys are developing over there, it really is a great situation. They get as many young guys playing against men as possible. We have so many young guys in that age group, surely one or two have to be ready for the big club in 2 to 4 years?

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Ziostilon

i got confused. so neither Rodin or Andersson were "loaned" back to their junior clubs.
Canucks were just obligated to return them to their Sel team under the current transfer agreement

Old
06-04-2010, 02:57 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
i got confused. so neither Rodin or Andersson were "loaned" back to their junior clubs.
Canucks were just obligated to return them to their Sel team under the current transfer agreement
There is no current transfer agreement with Sweden. Sweden opted out in January 2008.

A new agreement in principle was announced in late March 2010 but it was not finalized when there there were disputes over retroactivity and the return of players under 22 to the SEL if they were not playing in the NHL.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Nitpicking...SEL is not a junior league, it's a men's pro league similar to the AHL. Maybe even better. Definitely a nice spot for him and Rodin to develop.

I'm not too sure about whether or not it burns a year off their ELC(if Wetcoaster can't figure it out, we're all screwed) but I think it's definitely a good spot for them to develop provided they can get some decent ice time.(it was less of a problem for Andersson than it was for Rodin, but nonetheless).

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Ziostilon

this deal also contradicts what i heard before. that you can't have 2 active contracts at one time.

from my perspective, we're just assigning him to Frolunda. not because he's contractually obliged to return to Frolunda.
which is why i don't see why we can't re-call him in the middle of December if needed.

Old
06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
this deal also contradicts what i heard before. that you can't have 2 active contracts at one time.

from my perspective, we're just assigning him to Frolunda. not because he's contractually obliged to return to Frolunda.
which is why i don't see why we can't re-call him in the middle of December if needed.
isn't the same situation there with players returned to junior?

example, Cody Hodgson. After he was signed, he was sent back to junior. He was under a Canuck contract (and also under a Brampton contract), and not obliged to return to Brampton, but the Canucks sent him back. And as such, they did not have the right to recall him until after his junior season was over.

it's really no different for Euro players that are the same age. Like Hodgson, Andersson's first year of his ELC will not be used (given his age), while he is returned to his former club, and like Hodgson, he wouldn't be available for recall until after his commitment is done with his team for this season.

of course granted, that like Hodgson, Andersson doesn't earn a spot with the team and is sent back to his previous team.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Blackjackz

The SEL is a good league for him to continue his development, hopefully he will be getting some increased playing time, and responsibility. I must say, the Swedish system does a nice job of developing D-men.. at least a particular type of defensemen...

Blackjackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Ziostilon

TO nuckfan, hodgson's situation is because of the CHL - AHL agreement.

as another user mentioned, the SEL new transfer agreement isn't finalized yet