HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Lose Rights To Anderson and Wudrick

Old
06-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Kings Lose Rights To Anderson and Wudrick

http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/06/02/prospect-update/

Quote:
Andersen, 22, was a fourth-round pick of the Kings in 2006 but has yet to play in North America. Last season, he had three goals and three assists in 42 games while playing in the Swedish Elite League. Wudrick, a 20, was a third-round pick of the Kings in 2008. Last season, in the junior-level Western Hockey League, he split his season between Swift Current and Kelowna and totaled 27 goals and 21 assists in 62 games.
Best of luck to them both.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
Andersen isn't really a big deal but I liked Geordie Wudrick, surprised DL gave up on him so quickly.. We'll see what happens with him, good luck!

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:59 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I don't think Wudrick will be a free agent very long. I think the emergence of Clifford and Clune phased him out.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:59 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

What surprises me even more is the fact that Wudrick is a big body and plays a position of need, a 6'4 LW is something we're lacking. He put up 9 goals in the playoffs this year, but what do i know, right?

In DL we trust

I want to see what DL has to say about Wudrick, on why he was released. I know the same thing happened to Bryan Cameron last season and DL said that he just wasn't good enough, I don't know if that's the case in Wudrick's position, maybe like DeeMeck said, Clifford just surpassed him and made Wudrick expendable for release

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:22 PM
onlyalad

It may have been the players choice not to re-sign. They may have thought that they had no future with the Kings and are hoping that some other team will want them. Hammond's post leaves out lots of details. Mostly why they are no longer in the Kings system.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:24 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
I liked Wudrick a lot but we have prospects just like him in the system. I wish him luck.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Wudrick doesn't have a future in the NHL. I'm just being honest, guys. He was an AHL guy at best and Lombardi probably wanted to look elsewhere to fill his would-be position.

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:35 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

From what I can tell by the stats is Wudrick's numbers are down across the board this year, much like Bryan Cameron's was when he got released. I think a big part of why they were chosen in the third round is that while they had great years the Kings were hoping for them to continue to improve on that, not stagnate. Bottom line is players need to show some development for them to be considered valid prospects.

Obviously everything is not about stats but I can't comment on whether or not their overall game improved since I haven't seen them play. Since they didn't get signed I'd have to guess not by much.

Dwight King did have a similar stats curve though and he got signed. Maybe the Kings felt Wudrick was redundant with King already in the system.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Best of luck boys

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Jwm1986

Losing rights would imply something out of the control of the Kings, would it not? Didnt they just decline to sign them? If so, they didnt lose anything, as it was their choice....

not that it really matters..... However, i a a bit surprised Wurdick wasn't given a contract

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Clifford and King make Wudrick redundant.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I have forgotten on these things but is there any compensation or is this a DL blunder of a pick? Losing a 3rd rounder would really suck.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have forgotten on these things but is there any compensation or is this a DL blunder of a pick? Losing a 3rd rounder would really suck.
Kinda interesting...wasn't Cameroon a 3rd round pick?? Seems like DL does really good in the second, but keeps striking out in the 3rd maybe he should trade his remaining 3rd rounders this year and move up to the late 2nd

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:11 PM
SFKingshomer

I'll miss him, Bryan Cameron, and TJ Fast.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:57 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
No the compensation rules got changed as part of the last CBA. Teams only recieve compensation picks for unsigned 1st round picks now.

As far as Wudrick not getting signed goes, whatever happened to Roussin, Fast, McGinnis, Baeir, Kidd, Tukonen, Seymour, Meyers, Hersley, Taylor, Lukacevic?
Yeah, I'm not too worried...

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizou View Post
Wudrick doesn't have a future in the NHL. I'm just being honest, guys. He was an AHL guy at best and Lombardi probably wanted to look elsewhere to fill his would-be position.
i agree. the guy, as talented as he was simply failed to dominate at his age - with his size against 16 year-olds... wasn't gonna happen for him.

as far as Anderson goes... clearly it was all downhill after his rather impressive first rookie camp.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:26 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3040
Really surprised about Wurdick. I understand that we have other players that play the similar role that Wurdick does, but I don't think we can have too many of those type of players. I'm thinking there may have been some character flaws.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
No the compensation rules got changed as part of the last CBA. Teams only recieve compensation picks for unsigned 1st round picks now.
That's how it was in the last CBA too. If teams could get compensatory picks for 2nd/3rd rounders, the draft might be extended by like 20 picks.

Every team has a few regrettable picks in the 3rd round, just seems like the nature of the business. Will be interesting to see where Wudrick goes in the draft this year. I could see a team like Calgary grabbing him with a later pick since they have a shallow prospect pool and Wudrick would be AHL eligible immediately--they probably had similar reasoning in signing Bryan Cameron this year as well.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Really surprised about Wurdick. I understand that we have other players that play the similar role that Wurdick does, but I don't think we can have too many of those type of players. I'm thinking there may have been some character flaws.
Ya, keep thinking that. Great way to start something out of nothing.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
With King, Elkins, Kaunisto, Westgarth, Clifford, Clune, all under contract and all big bodied players, arguably more talented than Wudrick I don't see why he would get signed.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Not so much character issues but a disappointment in lack of development. With his body and size, it was believed that Wudrick would develop into a power forward, but he has not been that type of player and was dealt from his former junior club due to his lack of improvement. There are hundreds of Wudrick's drafted every year. His name will be replaced by another junior player in this year's draft who will go through the same process. It's the nature of the beast.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:45 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
With King, Elkins, Kaunisto, Westgarth, Clifford, Clune, all under contract and all big bodied players, arguably more talented than Wudrick I don't see why he would get signed.
I think King comes closest to Wudrick. Elkins is quite a bit older and I see him as a professional ahler and nothing more. Clifford and Clune are more of an agitator which I Wudrick isn't. Westy? Wudrick is not a heavyweight.

Old
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Not so much character issues but a disappointment in lack of development. With his body and size, it was believed that Wudrick would develop into a power forward, but he has not been that type of player and was dealt from his former junior club due to his lack of improvement. There are hundreds of Wudrick's drafted every year. His name will be replaced by another junior player in this year's draft who will go through the same process. It's the nature of the beast.
Let me ask you this, what is the harm in retaining him? Could we not have signed him for a year? Personally, I'd like to have seen him for at least a year at manchester. I don't think that is too much to ask. In any case, I'll defer to DL & Company but I better not see Wudrick make it to the nhl.

Old
06-03-2010, 04:01 PM
funky

with the availability to sign 50 players, I guess D.L thought there was better players out there

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Let me ask you this, what is the harm in retaining him? Could we not have signed him for a year? Personally, I'd like to have seen him for at least a year at manchester. I don't think that is too much to ask. In any case, I'll defer to DL & Company but I better not see Wudrick make it to the nhl.
There is a limit in terms of how many contracted players a team may retain. There may be others in the pipeline who the Kings have ranked as a higher priority to sign to an entry-level contract over Wudrick who may very well be an overage junior player next season. He regressed statistically this season and hasn't been the player his NHL rights' holder and his junior team expected him to become.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote