Defenders: Lee Sweatt TPS, Mikko Mäenpää HPK
Center: Jori Lehterä Tappara
Wingers: Sami Kapanen KalPa, Pavel Rosa Kärpät

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 07:15 AM
gib

vCash: 500
So, who was best forward or best player?

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 07:45 AM
TheMuumio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
So, who was best forward or best player?
Kultainen Kypärä/Golden Helmet (best in regular season, voted by players)
Jori Lehterä Tappara

Jari Kurri -award (MVP of the PlayOffs)
Ilari Filppula TPS

TheMuumio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:12 AM
ES

Engren being best goaltender was a terrible selection. No one would have nominated him because of regular season and though he played well in playoffs he played only eight of 15 games for his team.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:13 AM
FrankTheTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Engren being best goaltender was a terrible selection. No one would have nominated him because of regular season and though he played well in playoffs he played only eight of 15 games for his team.
That is true. He played only 35 games and didnt were nothing special. That trophy definitely belongs to Lassila. He played 56 games and helped his team much more than Engren helped his own.

And Lee Sweatt best Dmen? He played only 21 games. What about Andersson or Mäenpää?

FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Just throwing this out there, but were the performances in Rauma discounted too much because of the way the team faded down the stretch?

And was Vehanen still eligible for the goaltending award since he didn't finish the season in the SM-Liiga? In terms of goalies who played the bulk of their team's games, why would you rate Lassila ahead of KalPa's Ahonen or Iiro Tarkki of Blues?

With regards to defensemen, it seems Blues' Ville Lajunen and Seikola (Ilves) had the best offensive numbers among defenders but their teams weren't very good. I'd also be interested in hearing who any of you feel are the best pure defending defensemen in the league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank View Post
That is true. He played only 35 games and didnt were nothing special. That trophy definitely belongs to Lassila. He played 56 games and helped his team much more than Engren helped his own.

And Lee Sweatt best Dmen? He played only 21 games. What about Andersson or Mäenpää?

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
TheMuumio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
Just throwing this out there, but were the performances in Rauma discounted too much because of the way the team faded down the stretch?

And was Vehanen still eligible for the goaltending award since he didn't finish the season in the SM-Liiga? In terms of goalies who played the bulk of their team's games, why would you rate Lassila ahead of KalPa's Ahonen or Iiro Tarkki of Blues?

With regards to defensemen, it seems Blues' Ville Lajunen and Seikola (Ilves) had the best offensive numbers among defenders but their teams weren't very good. I'd also be interested in hearing who any of you feel are the best pure defending defensemen in the league?
SM-league awards usually go along with team success. Engren's award was weird - should have gone to Lassila, but no one can seriously say anything against Sweatt's award, well other than his amount of games: he was way more dominant than any other D-man in the league)
As SM-liiga awards most of the trophies depending on both the regular season AND Playoffs and as Sweatt was producing when it mattered the most he was rightfully given the award.
Mäenpää was almost invisible in the Finals and as he is a offensive D-man so that is not a good thing. Andersson is way too one-dimensional: yes he is excellent on the point/blueline on PP, but that's about it. Can't really say anything about Lajunen as haven't really seen him play. Seikola is just a poor man's Mike Green on BOTH ends of the ice (excellent on offense but is just horrible, horrible, horrible when he is supposed to defend)

I believe Vehanen was eligible for the award, but I don't think they wanted to give the award to a player who left the league.

Last edited by TheMuumio: 06-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.
TheMuumio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:45 AM
KingKomarov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
I'd also be interested in hearing who any of you feel are the best pure defending defensemen in the league?
In my opinion the best defensive defensemen in SM-liiga are Olli Malmivaara, Tomi Pettinen and in the next season/seasons Juha Uotila and Joonas Järvinen both have a chance to be in this category.
Ossi Väänänen returns to SM-liiga and he is also a very good defensive defenseman in SM-liiga.

Malmivaaras best ability is his size and he uses his size and strenght very well. In 08-09 his plusminus was +28 and 09-10 it was only +7. Last season he suffered a bit from injuries and such.

Pettinen is more of an all around typed defenseman. He can score some goals and has fairly good abilities with the puck.

Juha Uotila plays for my home town team and I like his style of play very much. He is a tremendous puck passer and he can hit hard too. He is also pretty solid in the front of the net. I think that he learned alot when he played in North-America. He has that physical touch in his game now. If he continues where he left last season he is going to develop to be a great defender.

Joonas Järvinen is a same kind of D than Uotila is. Järvinen is bigger and stronger, but he lacks some puck skills compared to Uotila.

Mikko Kuukka is a good defender too. But I don't have alot of info about him. I just haven't followed Kuukka that much.

Both of these guys (Järvinen & Uotila) have a bright future ahead of them.

Last edited by KingKomarov: 06-03-2010 at 11:00 AM.
KingKomarov is offline   Reply With Quote