HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boucher will meet the Jackets

Old
06-02-2010, 04:49 AM
Gulvorn

vCash: 500
French isn't that hard to learn though. Especially if you know Spanish. The only trouble comes when speaking and understanding what people are saying.

My french teacher from Quebec was always easier to understand than my french teacher from Algeria so I don't know if that's because Quebec french is easier to understand verbally or just that my french Algerian teacher spoke very little English. The lack of consonant sounds made it hard to understand for someone who didn't start learning french until age 12 and is still at a 9th grade french reading level after receiving a bachelor's degree. Listening to french has always been my low scoring field in testing. Too many words just sound like a bunch of running vowels together that sound like too many other words.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:57 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Right, he already has signed with the Jackets.

You do realize that if the Habs allowed other teams to talk to Boucher, this means they had their "little talk" with Boucher first, I mean, it's part of the process, and everything I said still stands. You should wait and see if he'll sign with them before gloathing, cause this might make you look even worst.

What did I base what I said on? Boucher himself saying he needed a lot of seasoning in the AHL, and already had chosen the Habs, had already got many offers from NHL teams. I never said he wouldn't get any offers.

So now I know what the 18 in your handle stands for. Goes well with those premature conclusions of yours.
You're so funny.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
Apparently, New Jersey want to speak to him too. Lamourello is tricky. You never know what trick he has up his sleeves.
Are you serious? Give me your source.

I think I speak for the majority of educated Devils fans when I say we'd LOVE to have Guy Boucher as our new coach. I really would lock him up FOREVER.

Boucher's system with Parise, Elias and Zajac. HOMG. Deadly.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 11:38 AM
maxpower2010*

04-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I wish the Habs could demote Martin to the AHL and call up Boucher... Hopefully Boucher is with the Habs sooner rather than later...

You know some team will offer Boucher a NHL job so the Habs can't let this guy get away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
For the millionth time; THEY CAN'T!!!

He's under contract, and until that contract runs out, he CAN'T talk to other teams. The only way he could is if the Habs let him, and do you REALLY think they would do that????? Come on.
Strong fail.

maxpower2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
The pressure to make the playoffs next season isn't as great as some would believe for the CBJ. Don't forget, Howson didn't hire Hitchcock or any of his initial staff, he inherited them. Howson is making a hire with a eye to the future, not really the present. Howson's job is on the line with this hire, if he messes it up, he's the next one gone, maybe even before his handpicked coach.

After last seasons' debacle, most of us jackets fans would be happy to see a style and philosphy implemented that can be sustained in the NHL now along with better big league development with our younger players. Making the playoffs next season doesn't help anything if we are out in four straight again.
That is why i'm saying if Boucher is hired by the Jackets, the Habs are screwed. They wouldn't mind losing him to another team for him to get experience elsewhere. But if the Jackets gets him, i'm thinking it would be a long-term affair so the Habs would lose him forever.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 03:46 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

I wonder if Boucher having coached Brassard would be considered a positive from Boucher's perspective.

I'm pretty sure Brassard would like it.

Quote:
Blue Jackets center Derick Brassard, who played under Boucher at Drummondville of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in 2006-07, was wowed by Boucher's motivational tactics.

"Every day was a new challenge for the players, and every player was accountable to the team," Brassard said. "I've never played for a guy like him, a guy who is capable of getting the best out of every player. He was always in your head, always keeping you energized and motivated. It was always very motivating."
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...e.html?sid=101

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Not sure Boucher would feel comfortable with Lou's micro-management.
Recently, his finger was more on the eject button...
Julien, Sutter and now Lemaire...
Sutter left because he's a crybaby and got home sick. Lou said Lemaire was going to return, but he retired.

People blow our coaching history way out of proportion. Do you really think those coaches are competent? Sutter was the only good one of the lot, and he was insane.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:53 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
Sutter left because he's a crybaby and got home sick. Lou said Lemaire was going to return, but he retired.

People blow our coaching history way out of proportion. Do you really think those coaches are competent? Sutter was the only good one of the lot, and he was insane.
So Julien and Lemaire are incompetent ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Next Best Thing*

Boucher isn't going anywhere, you guys are hilarious.

Boucher to Columbus would be a terrible career choice, and to NJ even worst considering their history of hiring/firing coaches the same year (and many ex hab coaches at that). Plus when he came out of juniors, as mentioned, he chose the Canadiens to break out into the league. I'm sure he is loving all the attention right now but his position stays the same: he is the next coach of the Canadiens.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:02 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Boucher isn't going anywhere, you guys are hilarious.

Boucher to Columbus would be a terrible career choice, and to NJ even worst considering their history of hiring/firing coaches the same year (and many ex hab coaches at that). Plus when he came out of juniors, as mentioned, he chose the Canadiens to break out into the league. I'm sure he is loving all the attention right now but his position stays the same: he is the next coach of the Canadiens.
So the guy MUST wait three more years in Hamilton before Martin's contract expire ?

No way !

Old
06-03-2010, 11:09 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
So the guy MUST wait three more years in Hamilton before Martin's contract expire ?

No way !
Yea cause the Habs never fire a coach. I mean we've only had Martin, Gainey, Carbo, Julien, MT, AV as coaches in the last 10 years.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:

No way !
No, not three years, I would say two or 2 1/2. Marin isn't done with this team and for now he still may be a better coach than Boucher for all we know. It's not like we rode into the ECF on talent alone. Guy knows how it is, I doubt he will step on anyone's toes or get greedy.

It really comes down to what is best for him. Will he last in NJ or Colombus as head coach? Is it the ideal destination for considering how talented a coach he is? It's not like he was offered to coach the blackhawks or colorado with their insane pool of elite young stars.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:11 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yea cause the Habs never fire a coach. I mean we've only had Martin, Gainey, Carbo, Julien, MT, AV as coaches in the last 10 years.
They are still paying Carbo's salary + Martin is earning like 2 million a year....

As long as Martin gonna drag the Habs in the playoffs, even with a 8th spot, they gonna keep him.

Old
06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Kebekoi

Maybe that Martin will be promoted to assist GM Gauthier and Boucher to head coach with a year of Boucher as assist coach in Montreal.

Person 2010/2011/2012/2013
Martin coach/coach/coach/ass-GM?
Boucher AHL/AHL/ass-coach/coach

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
They are still paying Carbo's salary + Martin is earning like 2 million a year....

As long as Martin gonna drag the Habs in the playoffs, even with a 8th spot, they gonna keep him.
let me know when they hire you to make those decisions, until then, no one knows what the Habs will do with their coaches over the next 3-4 years. The Habs could easily end up missing the playoffs for any number of reasons and we'll see how that sits with upper management. When the owners just paid some 550 million for the team, I doubt paying Carbo his million or whatever he makes + JM's 2M a year would be worth keeping over missing the playoffs. I'm sure the Molsons want to win now and if JM can't do it, imo he'l be gone just like all the others.

Old
06-03-2010, 11:39 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
let me know when they hire you to make those decisions, until then, no one knows what the Habs will do with their coaches over the next 3-4 years. The Habs could easily end up missing the playoffs for any number of reasons and we'll see how that sits with upper management. When the owners just paid some 550 million for the team, I doubt paying Carbo his million or whatever he makes + JM's 2M a year would be worth keeping over missing the playoffs. I'm sure the Molsons want to win now and if JM can't do it, imo he'l be gone just like all the others.
The only issue I see with what you're saying is that the Molson's are notoriously cheap. With Carbo still under, Martin for another 3 years, I can't imagine them signing a new coach to replace martin when he took them to the ECF, the furthest we've been in 17 years with key players missing throughout the year.

Even if the Habs were to faulter next year, I would seriously doubt he would get canned after one bad year. That pushes this to 3 years now. If Boucher isn't hired this year and continues to be successful (which he should) then I highly doubt he'll be around the following year. If the Habs were to make him an Assistant coach next year as preparation for the big job once Martin's contract is over or he gets promoted then maybe he'll stay as the only job he REALLY wants is to coach the Habs and he's perfectly positioned to do that now.

If he does get hired this year, I don't see that as a bad thing either. He can get some coaching experience and come back once Martin is no longer the coach here.

My personal opinion is that he wants the Habs job and could be willing to stay if they show him that he is the heir apparent after Martin, if and when he is replaced.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
The only issue I see with what you're saying is that the Molson's are notoriously cheap. With Carbo still under, Martin for another 3 years, I can't imagine them signing a new coach to replace martin when he took them to the ECF, the furthest we've been in 17 years with key players missing throughout the year.

Even if the Habs were to faulter next year, I would seriously doubt he would get canned after one bad year. That pushes this to 3 years now. If Boucher isn't hired this year and continues to be successful (which he should) then I highly doubt he'll be around the following year. If the Habs were to make him an Assistant coach next year as preparation for the big job once Martin's contract is over or he gets promoted then maybe he'll stay as the only job he REALLY wants is to coach the Habs and he's perfectly positioned to do that now.

If he does get hired this year, I don't see that as a bad thing either. He can get some coaching experience and come back once Martin is no longer the coach here.

My personal opinion is that he wants the Habs job and could be willing to stay if they show him that he is the heir apparent after Martin, if and when he is replaced.
Even if the Molson are cheap, they would be willing to pay Carbo and Martin a total of 3 millions if it's to make the playoffs and make millions of profits.

On the top of my head, we fire Martin, hire Boucher and still pay a million bucks to Carbo. We make the playoffs...BANG, 10 millions of profits because of it.

10 - 3 = 7 millions of profits

Now, I'm not saying it will happen, but even if they are cheap, they won't let the team miss the playoffs for long...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:56 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
No, not three years, I would say two or 2 1/2. Marin isn't done with this team and for now he still may be a better coach than Boucher for all we know. It's not like we rode into the ECF on talent alone. Guy knows how it is, I doubt he will step on anyone's toes or get greedy.

It really comes down to what is best for him. Will he last in NJ or Colombus as head coach? Is it the ideal destination for considering how talented a coach he is? It's not like he was offered to coach the blackhawks or colorado with their insane pool of elite young stars.
Columbus would be the perfect place, I think. Low Key, no unreasonable expectations out of the gate, would get to shape Brassard and Voracek and could take credit for their games maturing. I think you are underestimating Columbus's prospects... We currently have 10 guys all recently drafted or traded for in the last few years that will be competing for 6 spots on defense in Springfield next season, including CHL D-man of the year Savard and last years first rounder, John Moore. Also, Nikita Filatov has said he will be returning for training camp and Matt Calvert should be a staple in Springfield.

Boucher could be a King in Columbus...

Also, can anyone confirm that Boucher is meeting with the media in Montreal today? It was posted on our local paper's jackets blog a few days ago but no real reason was given why.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 06-03-2010 at 12:14 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Even if the Molson are cheap, they would be willing to pay Carbo and Martin a total of 3 millions if it's to make the playoffs and make millions of profits.

On the top of my head, we fire Martin, hire Boucher and still pay a million bucks to Carbo. We make the playoffs...BANG, 10 millions of profits because of it.

10 - 3 = 7 millions of profits

Now, I'm not saying it will happen, but even if they are cheap, they won't let the team miss the playoffs for long...
The problem with your off the cusp scenario is that hiring Boucher won't guarentee a birth in the Cup Finals, the players would have to learn a new system after they spent all of last season coming together to learn Martin's, and the Molson's profit margin would still drop by $2M even if the Habs duplicate this years incredible play off run. Sorry but your idea makes no business sense and no logical sense.

For a guy who took us deeper in to the playoffs than any other coach since 93' and outcoached Bylsma and Boudreau you'd think he'd get a bit more respect than what he's getting. WHy throw him out when he's doing a great job for a completely unknown entity in Boucher? I'm sure he will be a good coach but who's to say it will be with the Habs right now?

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
The problem with your off the cusp scenario is that hiring Boucher won't guarentee a birth in the Cup Finals, the players would have to learn a new system after they spent all of last season coming together to learn Martin's, and the Molson's profit margin would still drop by $2M even if the Habs duplicate this years incredible play off run. Sorry but your idea makes no business sense and no logical sense.

For a guy who took us deeper in to the playoffs than any other coach since 93' and outcoached Bylsma and Boudreau you'd think he'd get a bit more respect than what he's getting. WHy throw him out when he's doing a great job for a completely unknown entity in Boucher? I'm sure he will be a good coach but who's to say it will be with the Habs right now?
Of course is wouldn't guarantee anything...but if the Molsons would have the idea that the team can't win with Martin, they will most likely have to change the coach. It can be Boucher, or it can be someone else...the point is still the same.

And we made what this year during the playoffs...20 millions? I'm pretty sure it's around this amount. So even if we just make the playoffs, the Molsons would still have profits with one round.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Damn, and he's brought us so little success in his year as coach, too! Only made it to the Eastern final.......
For once, reactions are not about "what have you done for me lately" type of reactions.

Coaches wins coach of the year awards and are fired 1 or 2 years after.....Same for guys who brings their team really far and then are fired.

I know that you can't fire Martin because of that run. Yet, it's not too hard to predict that we might not repeat with that type of coaching. You won't be able to have that kind of effort with that system for all 82 games. Then, it is strongly possible that the Habs are still NOT a top 4 team in the league (pretty obvious) and are still a bubble team that will work hard to make the playoffs. And then you see all the comments towards Boucher, comments honestly that I've never hear all my life. You see how some of our youngsters develop or didn't develop as much. You hear how Martin is as good a communicator than....Carbonneau. You know the greatest move by Gainey that was fired 3 months after?

Then you compare him with a guy who communicate with his players, who has a much more interesting system in place, who keep being praised by all his players or at least a great bunch of them.

I mean, anybody heard what Hunter Bishop had to say? Said something like "I was in Hamilton for 1 week, and in that small timeframe, I could already say that Guy Boucher was the best coach I've ever had in my career". Clearly, it wasn't said to bash all the other coaches he had but to demonstrate how Boucher was loved and respected.

So what's frustrating is that I see Boucher having the type of career Trotz is having or Ruff which means, we let him go, we don't see him. 'Cause even if it doesn't happen this way, if right now isn't the right timing, who says it will be next time he's free?

And clearly, all that because the Rangers sucked in the last weeks of the year or becaue Halak was miraculous 1 game after another. 'Cause if we missed the playoffs...or even if we would have lost in 5 against the Caps, clearly we couldn't have been able to use the Eastern Conf. Finals. But I think it's pretty easy to figure out that Martin was able to sell his system in the playoffs but that with his evident lack of communication, he's totally amongst the ones who can lose the respect of his players real fast either for the unwillingness to practice that style of game on a regular basis or either because he's just not interested in having some kind of communication with them.

That team had a serious lack in developement for how many years. We have a guy who is great at it, we let him go. IF he goes. Inevitable but really really sad.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:20 PM
coolasprICE

If Boucher is hired, one way to reap the benefits of JM and his 2 M dollar salary is to give him new responsibilities within the organization. If they want to think outside of the box I'm sure there's many ways he can contribute. Personally if I'm an owner I make it in every contract I give out that we have the right to "promote" you to specified postitions X, Y and Z. No way do I take risks in signing a coach for 3 years knowing the turnover in this particular position if the candidate is unwilling to fulfill any other duties in the organization if required.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post

Also, can anyone confirm that Boucher is meeting with the media in Montreal today? It was posted on our local paper's jackets blog a few days ago but no real reason was given why.
http://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/15333219072

Quote:
Over in Brossard at #Habs development camp, waiting anxiously for Guy Boucher to tell us nothing about his coaching future
And,

http://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/15341409181

Quote:
Guy Boucher would not touch his potential candidacy as coach in Columbus or anywhere else. Focus is on #Habs and the present, not future

Last edited by Mue: 06-03-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:49 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
The only issue I see with what you're saying is that the Molson's are notoriously cheap.
I don't know much about the Molson family, just strange to hear them being called cheap when they just paid 550M for the Habs. If they are cheap, they must have been pissed when Gainey handed out or acquired 109M in contracts, that's 659M spend in one summer. I know that when the company owned them there was talk of cost cutting, which led to the dark years, but they had shareowners to report to, so I always chalked it up to that. Sucks if they are cheap though, and with the recent letting go of the 6 scouts, perhaps they are in cost cutting mode.

Old
06-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Le depisteur

New article from La Presse (Marc-André Godin) about Guy Boucher's future...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...3_section_POS1

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote