HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs projected Cap / line-up in 2010-2011

Old
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
greyboy67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Order of moves:

Trade Hamrlik at draft. This is a must.

Sign Frolov or another strong RH RW on July 1st.

Trade AK46 after Frolov secured.

Get Ladd or TaylorPyatt/Belanger after AK46 cap space freed.

Unfortunately, the prospects for interesting discussion diminished quickly when I read that AK46 is, in your opinion, nor a problem in his zone. Dude, he plays on his wrong wing and MANY TIMES PER GAME fails to get the puck out of danger.

The Habs made a point of saying that they liked Leach but they just couldn't keep 9 defencemen. He then proceeded to have a pretty nice season with Western Conference Champion San Jose. I think he can be had for cheap, or we can go after a similar type of player, maybe Alex Henry.

By the way, if Lapierre and his RH shot is wasted at C, then we need to play Moen or Pyatt on their offwing. Lapierre is not so good a playmaker that we need to play him at C. This is why I prefer Belanger whose offence is similar to Ladd's.
Nobody will trade for Hamrlik. He's too old and his contract is too big.

Frolov? He's got the same work ethic issues as Kostitsyn. The Habs don't want him. You can go to the bank on that one.

I believe both Kostitsyns are gone. If the Habs can't sign Plekanec, they might consider FA Matthew Lombardi who's a year older than Pleks and makes a little less. Montreal can't compete for Marleau. There's not much else out there when it comes to centers.

No way the Habs keep both Price and Halak. You can't leave that much money on the bench. Not if you want to build on the success the Canadiens had in the playoffs.

An intriguing trade partner is San Jose. They can't keep both Marleau and Nabokov and it's a safe bet they will let Nabby go. For Price (or Halak) you might be able to put together a package that brings Logan Couture or perhaps even Joe Pavelski to Montreal.

greyboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:28 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyboy67 View Post
No way the Habs keep both Price and Halak. You can't leave that much money on the bench.
You have GOT to be kidding me!! "That much" money??

How much do you think a young goalie with a .913 save percentage and a losing record, having earned $850k last year and having no arbitration rights, is worth???

How much do you think a youngish goalie, never having played more than 45 regular season games, with one really good season under his belt, is worth? Remember that NHL history is chock full of goalies who were one-season wonders, and that the RFA salary system rewards a consistently high level of play over time. Even if Halak's numbers were better than Brodeur's this year, he will not get Brodeur-type money until he shows a longer track record.

My answers, for what it's worth:

The first guy is worth about $1M, about a 17% raise. That's generous. He starts the new year as a backup goalie. Hopefully he can play 30-32 games and not cost his team much in the standings.

The second guy could get around $3M, average to above average money for a starter (but not a workhorse). If he can repeat this season's performance, he will be worth more in the future, for sure.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Kboum

Quote:

How much do you think a young goalie with a .913 save percentage and a losing record, having earned $850k last year and having no arbitration rights, is worth???

How much do you think a youngish goalie, never having played more than 45 regular season games, with one really good season under his belt, is worth? Remember that NHL history is chock full of goalies who were one-season wonders, and that the RFA salary system rewards a consistently high level of play over time. Even if Halak's numbers were better than Brodeur's this year, he will not get Brodeur-type money until he shows a longer track record.

The first guy is worth about $1M, about a 17% raise. That's generous. He starts the new year as a backup goalie. Hopefully he can play 30-32 games and not cost his team much in the standings.

The second guy could get around $3M, average to above average money for a starter (but not a workhorse). If he can repeat this season's performance, he will be worth more in the future, for sure.
Well, Halak at 3,2 and Price at 1,5-2.... and its still not as much as Vokoun or Huet make... but you have 2 excellents goalies.

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 04:38 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyboy67 View Post
Nobody will trade for Hamrlik. He's too old and his contract is too big.
You have to find someone who can use him for one year.

If San Jose loses Nabokov, they could be in the market for Price. According to Pierre Maguire, they would be ready to trade Ryan Clowe and Douglas Murray for Carey.

Say we traded Price ($1M) AND Hamrlik ($5.5M) for Clowe ($3.625M) and Murray ($2.5M). The latter two are signed through June 2013.

The salaries are close for the first year. However, San Jose gains lots of cap space for the following two to three years. Price still has FOUR years remaining before UFA status.

Plus, for one year, Hamrlik helps fill the 20-21 minute per game void created by Murray's departure and buys the club more time to find a long-term upgrade on D.

I'm hopeful that this trade is basically the one Pierre Maguire says is doable, but adding Hamrlik, which SJ probably won't mind that much since it's short-term.

Old
06-02-2010, 06:10 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
You have to find someone who can use him for one year.

If San Jose loses Nabokov, they could be in the market for Price. According to Pierre Maguire, they would be ready to trade Ryan Clowe and Douglas Murray for Carey.

Say we traded Price ($1M) AND Hamrlik ($5.5M) for Clowe ($3.625M) and Murray ($2.5M). The latter two are signed through June 2013.

The salaries are close for the first year. However, San Jose gains lots of cap space for the following two to three years. Price still has FOUR years remaining before UFA status.

Plus, for one year, Hamrlik helps fill the 20-21 minute per game void created by Murray's departure and buys the club more time to find a long-term upgrade on D.

I'm hopeful that this trade is basically the one Pierre Maguire says is doable, but adding Hamrlik, which SJ probably won't mind that much since it's short-term.
Hamrlik has negative value - throwing him with Price only decreases the likelihood of that trade to happen.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 06:34 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Hamrlik has negative value - throwing him with Price only decreases the likelihood of that trade to happen.
But it's about finding the right trade partner. A $3.625M contract for three years for a 20 goal scorer isn't THAT fantastic either. Again, it's ONE year of Hammer, while Price is very cheap, then they can re-sign for less or find another guy. ANd they WOULD have a 20-21 min/game gap to fill losing Murray.

Old
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
FF de Mars

Hamrlik doesn't have negative value. Or at the very least he doesn't have any value but could get moved for a late pick. A rebuilding team could use him, then trade him at the deadline for the likes of a second rounder.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Bieber fever

pouliot-gomez-gionta
cam-plekanec-ak
pyatt-fosberg-lapierre
white-moore-moen

markov-subban
hamrlik-spacek
gorges-gill
obyrn

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:10 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
pouliot-gomez-gionta
cam-plekanec-ak
pyatt-fosberg-lapierre
white-moore-moen

markov-subban
hamrlik-spacek
gorges-gill
obyrn
I wish.....10 years ago. The foot thing is a bad thing. And Forsberg on one foot is still at worst your second center.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:21 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Listen you, first of, i was haft in the bag and Avstin is a pipe dream. I just wish we would get some young stud step right in and make an impact and why not.
Second, even though I was drunk or haft in the bag, I still pick J.Staal over Plekanec any day of the week and if you don't, well you have no clue has what hockey is all about. It looks like you look at stats and make you asesment....Staal is a much better player then Plekanec overall, hands down. Yea I also know that JW is on the ducks and why I put LA....
I like you. Your posts are fun and create some interest. I may not agree, but who cares? Lighten up guys Otto is alright. Otto get some sleep man.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:52 AM
bsl

Quote:

You are correct. This whole goalie debate is a stupid bore.

Halak has won the number one job. Ergo: No goalie controversy. Thank god, finally.

Tell Price he's the backup at 1 mill and let him fight for number one with no pressure. He's 23, he won't mind. In fact he’ll be relieved and very likely improve greatly.

Pay Halak 3 Mill to keep him happy for 1 or 2 years, and tell him he plays 50 games unless he sh-its the bed. He performs; he gets a big fat UFA deal in 1-2 years and Price, now confident and 24-25, takes over.

Any NHL team has to expect 5 MILL per year for a good goaltending tandem. Habs have one the next 1 or 2 years for 4 mill and a bit. Nice.

Therefore no need to trade either guy unless a monster offer comes up for one of them.

The goalies are not the cap problem, get it? We'll pay the same cap for whatever tandem we have next year, so why move one of them, risking the loss of a franchise guy, unless we get a really great offer?

End of story. Can we move on from this trade H or P thing, cause it is not gonna happen unless Gauthier is an idiot, or they get a huge offer.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
CanadienErrant*

The more I watch the Flyers and the Hawks, the more I can see that the Habs are light years from a Stanley Cup Final.... (Halak and Cammy saved the Day, + lack of respect by the Caps and Pens).

Major improvement in scouting, better development, and more judicious UFA signing are required.

Trades for Iginla and Clowe or Backes would be a good start.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:56 AM
HaBs_ReNeGaTe

Send a message via MSN to HaBs_ReNeGaTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
You are correct. This whole goalie debate is a stupid bore.

Halak has won the number one job. Ergo: No goalie controversy. Thank god, finally.

Tell Price he's the backup at 1 mill and let him fight for number one with no pressure. He's 23, he won't mind. In fact he’ll be relieved and very likely improve greatly.

Pay Halak 3 Mill to keep him happy for 1 or 2 years, and tell him he plays 50 games unless he sh-its the bed. He performs; he gets a big fat UFA deal in 1-2 years and Price, now confident and 24-25, takes over.

Any NHL team has to expect 5 MILL per year for a good goaltending tandem. Habs have one the next 1 or 2 years for 4 mill and a bit. Nice.

Therefore no need to trade either guy unless a monster offer comes up for one of them.

The goalies are not the cap problem, get it? We'll pay the same cap for whatever tandem we have next year, so why move one of them, risking the loss of a franchise guy, unless we get a really great offer?

End of story. Can we move on from this trade H or P thing, cause it is not gonna happen unless Gauthier is an idiot, or they get a huge offer.
HahAHahHAHAAHAHAHHAhHAhAHahAHA. 1 million? You'll be surprised my friend, VERY surprised. Do you know that his cap hit is currently 2.2 millions? You think he'll accept some kind of cut on his pay? I don't know what his bonuses were, but he probably managed to get most of it (correct me if i'm wrong). The only thing on our side is that he don't have arbitration rights.

"He's 23, he won't mind"... I have some news for you... he WILL mind. He have the potential to be number one almost anywhere in the league. He will ask for the kind of money this position allow him. The possibilities to keep both him and Halak are thin.

This is going to be very interesting.

HaBs_ReNeGaTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Kboum

Quote:
pouliot-gomez-gionta
cam-plekanec-ak
pyatt-fosberg-lapierre
white-moore-moen

markov-subban
hamrlik-spacek
gorges-gill
obyrn
Did you see Foppa at the Olympics.. that wasnt the old Forsberg we used to see.

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The more I watch the Flyers and the Hawks, the more I can see that the Habs are light years from a Stanley Cup Final.... (Halak and Cammy saved the Day, + lack of respect by the Caps and Pens).

Major improvement in scouting, better development, and more judicious UFA signing are required.

Trades for Iginla and Clowe or Backes would be a good start.
Love Iginla and Backes very much. Clowe looks good on the Sharks but I still have certain uncomfort towards him. Is he a product of the great core in SJ?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:39 PM
ManixLiquid

David Backes ($2.500m) - Gomez ($7.357m) - Gionta ($5.000m)
Cammalleri ($6.000m) - Plekanec ($4.750m) - Colby Armstrong ($2.900m)
Pacioretty ($0.910m) - Lapierre ($1.000m) - Pouliot ($0.903m)
Moen ($1.500m) - David Desharnais ($0.512m) - Artyukhin ($1.100m)
Andrew Conboy($0.550m), Tom Pyatt ($0.850m)

Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Ryan O\'Byrne ($0.942m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / Josh Gorges ($1.100m)
Yannick Webber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.000m)
Martin Biron ($1.500m)

CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $56.747m; CAP ROOM: $2.053m

TRADES
To St. Louis: J. Halak, A. Kostitsyn
To Montreal: D. Backes, 2sc or round 3rd pick

BOYOUT
Harmlik (1.815 over the next 2 years
*Would try to bump his salary to another team but I doubt it would work.
S.Kostitsyn: try to trade him first, if not, let him walk to the KHL

ManixLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:47 PM
King of Arcadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManixLiquid View Post

Yannick Webber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.000m)
Martin Biron ($1.500m)

TRADES

BOYOUT
what i like about this lineup is Backes and Armstrong. what I don't like is Artyukhin.

King of Arcadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

Yannick Webber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.000m)
Martin Biron ($1.500m)

TRADES

BOYOUT
Good first post. I like Artyukhin, but I don't think we'd get him

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
scottyG

Quote:

Yannick Webber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.000m)
Martin Biron ($1.500m)

TRADES

BOYOUT
For one year of Backes?

A.Kostitsyn is a better player than Backes the only thing is Backes is more physical. We all no the hard ons this site gets for physical players.

If Backes can be signed for 3-4 years at ~4 million i'd trade Halak for him. As of now Backes is probably going to want 4-5 next year when he becomes UFA

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
neofury*

lol at all the people wanting to unload gomez.

A) That's a dumb move
B) Who would replace him
C) Who would take on his salary

Stupidest most pointless discussion on earth because it simply isn't going to happen, there's a reason they traded for him.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Max Levine

Umberger ($3.75M) - Gomez ($7.35M) - Gionta ($5M)
Cammalleri ($6M) - Plekanec ($4.5M) - Frolov ($4.25M)
Lapierre ($1M)) - Moore ($1.4M) - Pyatt ($875K)
Pouliot ($950K) - Desharnais ($850K) - Moen ($1.5M)
White ($850K) ) - Trotter ($875K)

Markov ($5.75M) - O'Byrne ($940K)
Subban ($875K) - Spacek ($3.83M)
Gill ($2.25M) - Gorges ($1.1M)
Carle ($850K)

Price ($2M)
Garon ($1.2M)

Trade with Blue Jackets
Halak/Hamrlik for Umberger/Garon

Trade
SK for 3rd or 4th

UFA
Alexandor Frolov

I'm not helping our defense, especially with Markov's absence until December. One of Carle, Weber or Belle will have to step up.

As for AK, I wish he were happy here despite his inconsistency on the ice. But if there is a chance to get a better player, he's gonna have to leave. I wonder what Nashville's position with Radulov is and if the Russian would be tempted to play in Montreal. I'd trade AK to the Preds for Radulov's rights or future considerations.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:30 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Umberger ($3.75M) - Gomez ($7.35M) - Gionta ($5M)
Cammalleri ($6M) - Plekanec ($4.5M) - Frolov ($4.25M)
Lapierre ($1M)) - Moore ($1.4M) - Pyatt ($875K)
Pouliot ($950K) - Desharnais ($850K) - Moen ($1.5M)
White ($850K) ) - Trotter ($875K)

Markov ($5.75M) - O'Byrne ($940K)
Subban ($875K) - Spacek ($3.83M)
Gill ($2.25M) - Gorges ($1.1M)
Carle ($850K)

Price ($2M)
Garon ($1.2M)

Trade with Blue Jackets
Halak/Hamrlik for Umberger/Garon

Trade
SK for 3rd or 4th

UFA
Alexandor Frolov

I'm not helping our defense, especially with Markov's absence until December. One of Carle, Weber or Belle will have to step up.

As for AK, I wish he were happy here despite his inconsistency on the ice. But if there is a chance to get a better player, he's gonna have to leave. I wonder what Nashville's position with Radulov is and if the Russian would be tempted to play in Montreal. I'd trade AK to the Preds for Radulov's rights or future considerations.

Its unbelivable how underrated/hated A.Kostitsyn's getting.

Old
06-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post

Well , If I was sure Radulov will sign with the habs , I would do it .

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:34 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Well , If I was sure Radulov will sign with the habs , I would do it .
So we trade Kostitsyn for another headcase?

I rather just keep AK

Old
06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post

Maybe its because of his poor play in the last 2 years

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote