HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hammond interviews Lombardi and Hextall

Old
06-03-2010, 01:24 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
People sometimes bash me for arguing for our toughness, well looks like our GM agrees. Vancouver pushed us around. So anyone who thinks the 4th line is going to be some combination of Moller, Stoll, Parse or Williams, forget it!
I don't think it's the toughness I had issues with but rather your love for the goons. It's all about balance, and right now, we're not nearly tough enough. But, we're heading in the right direction.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I don't think it's the toughness I had issues with but rather your love for the goons. It's all about balance, and right now, we're not nearly tough enough. But, we're heading in the right direction.
My biggest problem is it can't just be stupid and senseless guys like Ivanans and Clune (who was clearly overmatched). A guy like Clifford is fine because he can actually play hockey.

But in today's NHL, with the parity and the rules, there is no place for a guy like Ivanans. You simply need 4 lines capable of playing to have any kind of success.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Teubs (Colten Teubert) is not close. We’ve got some work to do in terms of him getting in line here.
So much for the theory that Teubert didn't go to Manchester because "They were too stacked" as some people said. That should have been shot when they assigned Muzzin and Clifford down there, but it wasn't.

Atleast for Teubert's sake he was signed the summer after he was drafted, and received a signing bonus of a 1st round caliber player, even though its quite apparent he was drastically overrated by the Kings and the scouting services.

Old
06-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Just look at how goons who have nothing else to contribute are being phased out and eliminated. Derek Boogaard provides nothing for Minnesota, other than some highlight reel footage. Brashear was signed to a fat contract and look where he wound up, in the minors. Same with Laraque who was kicked off of Montreal.

I grew up during the peak era of enforcers with McSorley, Probert, Ray, Twist, Domi, McCarthy, Grimson, etc., however, the game has evolved. The modern day fighters are the players like Neil, Ott, Avery, Carcillo, Lucic, Eager, Asham; middleweights who can play, agitate, and drop the mitts.

Clune is in that mold and from what the personnel has been saying about Westgarth, it sounds like they've been working on having him improve his play. Just look at how Parros can skate a regular shift without being a liability. I see Westgarth being our new Parros, who I thought played rather well when he was on a line with Derek Armstrong and Luc Robitaille.

I think Clune will get better as well. He showed some skills and has some playmaking ability, similar to the glimpses of talent we saw out of Avery when he wasn't acting like a fool.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
My biggest problem is it can't just be stupid and senseless guys like Ivanans and Clune (who was clearly overmatched). A guy like Clifford is fine because he can actually play hockey.

But in today's NHL, with the parity and the rules, there is no place for a guy like Ivanans. You simply need 4 lines capable of playing to have any kind of success.
I don't think Clune was stupid or senseless but rather he just fought bigger and tougher fighters (overmatched). I give him props for doing what he did, but yeah, it would have been nice to see him win a fight or two. He's also an RFA so, it'd be interesting to see if the kings re-sign him. I'm really eager to see Westy and Clifford. I've heard great things about both players and it would be very cool if both of these guys could stick next year.

Quote:
So much for the theory that Teubert didn't go to Manchester because "They were too stacked" as some people said. That should have been shot when they assigned Muzzin and Clifford down there, but it wasn't.

Atleast for Teubert's sake he was signed the summer after he was drafted, and received a signing bonus of a 1st round caliber player, even though its quite apparent he was drastically overrated by the Kings and the scouting services.
Teubert, drastically overrated? Not so sure about that. I just think he's slower in developing. Maybe in about 2 more years, perhaps then, he can crack our roster. As for now, I'm still in the wait and see mode.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Teubert, drastically overrated? Not so sure about that. I just think he's slower in developing. Maybe in about 2 more years, perhaps then, he can crack our roster. As for now, I'm still in the wait and see mode.
Just give Teubert a bit of time. I can't see why he can't be LA's version of Kevin Bieksa. A big, tough defenseman who is not easy to play against. The Kings need tougher presence on the blueline and learned that lesson in the playoffs.

Old
06-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Bieksa is far better player than Teubert...Bieksa has had multiple 40 pt season in the NHL. The Kings might need more toughness from the back-end, but it won't be coming from Colten Teubert, he might be tough and willing to drop, but his actual hockey playing ability is pretty weak.

Teubert when he was drafted people compared him to Scott Stevens, then it was Adam Foote, now his absolute upside is Sean O'Donnell, at this point his next comparison will be Todd Simpson.

Old
06-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Bieksa was never considered an offenisve defenseman in his four seasons at Bowling Green. Suddenly, during the lockout season, Bieksa starting posting big numbers in the AHL in Manitoba. He was 24 when he finally turned pro in the NHL. He was 25 when he made his big impression with 42 points, had an injury plagued season at 26, came back to form when he was 27 with a 43 point season in 2008-09.

He's not necessarily a late bloomer, but he was given time to develop his game before becoming a top 4 defenseman on Vancouver. Teubert just recently turned 20, has completed four seasons of juniors where his numbers have gradually improved. Next season, he makes the jump to the AHL where I expect him to spend another two seasons at the very least.

Unlike Todd Simpson or Sean O'Donnell, Teubert can skate well.

Old
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:

Teubert when he was drafted people compared him to Scott Stevens, then it was Adam Foote, now his absolute upside is Sean O'Donnell, at this point his next comparison will be Todd Simpson.
I don't like the Teubert pick all that much either, but this is way too premature, for reasons Ziggy's already detailed. We have no choice but to leave him in the oven for a few more years. Instant gratification isn't going to happen with every pick.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
I think if anything, Teubert has become underrated, and many of these comments support that.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/06/04/lombardi-on-goals/

Let's take Hamburger Hill next season! GO KINGS!

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Not a good way to end the series. The interview was strong until that question. I'm also tired of hearing about San Jose. Where is his Kings tattoo?

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:17 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Not a good way to end the series. The interview was strong until that question. I'm also tired of hearing about San Jose. Where is his Kings tattoo?
Rich's question are always vanilla.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:26 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I don't think Rich really gets a say in it. His job is to lob them up there...

06-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Maybe, but Lombardi loves to talk about San Jose. He needs to let it go. It's like talking to your wife about your last girlfriend and how awesome it was.

He wants the players to love LA, yet he can't stop talking about San Jose.

Probably not a big deal, but it bothers me.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I don't think Rich really gets a say in it. His job is to lob them up there...
He's never been a tough interviewer. Even before when he was with the daily news. He seemed more interested in making his interviewee like him than asking the tough questions.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 11:13 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
He's never been a tough interviewer. Even before when he was with the daily news. He seemed more interested in making his interviewee like him than asking the tough questions.
Yeah, I agree with that. I like Rich. He seems like a really good guy and all but other than him breaking news, I don't really put that much into what else he puts out there, such as analysis or his interviews and such.

I don't blame him though. He turned a job in a dying industry into a good career with an NHL organization. If he was a ball buster, he'd still be with a newspaper on the outside looking in. I just wish there were more journalists that covered the Kings and legitimately busted Murray and Lombardi's balls when necessary because Rich never did and he obviously never will now.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 01:10 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
True, but he does do the occasional awkward interview, like when Fro got benched. That couldn't have been pleasant. I realize its not the same as calling someone out, but unpleasant nevertheless.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote