HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boucher will meet the Jackets

Old
06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Damn, and he's brought us so little success in his year as coach, too! Only made it to the Eastern final.......
Michel Therrien brought the pens to the ECF, then the team struggled, he was fired and the team returned, but won it. Does it have to do with the coach, or the players ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't know much about the Molson family, just strange to hear them being called cheap when they just paid 550M for the Habs. If they are cheap, they must have been pissed when Gainey handed out or acquired 109M in contracts, that's 659M spend in one summer. I know that when the company owned them there was talk of cost cutting, which led to the dark years, but they had shareowners to report to, so I always chalked it up to that. Sucks if they are cheap though, and with the recent letting go of the 6 scouts, perhaps they are in cost cutting mode.
It was the Molsons cheap ways that brought us into this mess in the first place. Yes, back then it was the company but its still the same thing. The company takes after its owners, and they were cheap.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:40 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
New article from La Presse (Marc-André Godin) about Guy Boucher's future...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...3_section_POS1
"La Ligue nationale c'est une chose, mais pour l'instant je suis dans la Ligue américaine, dans l'organisation où je voulais être."

Music to my ears.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
TheBuriedHab

Hmmm i just heard his interview on HIO. He said hes going to do what he tells his players to do. Focus on the Present, not on the past and future. Maybe that means he can't wait for another opportunity to pop up? I don't know, but Listening to this guy, I want this guy as our Coach!!!

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
"La Ligue nationale c'est une chose, mais pour l'instant je suis dans la Ligue américaine, dans l'organisation où je voulais être."

Music to my ears.
Music to my ears as well. For others :

"The NHL it's a choice, but for now, I am in the AHL, in an organization where I want to be."

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Pedro McGuire*

All I hear are good things about Boucher.. and dont get me wrong I know he has done fantastic things at a lower level with young players but everyone seems to kinda just ignore the fact that young players only make up a very small percentage of the NHL teams... how is he with veteran players... the players that actually win you cups etc...??

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:49 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tenorman View Post
All I hear are good things about Boucher.. and dont get me wrong I know he has done fantastic things at a lower level with young players but everyone seems to kinda just ignore the fact that young players only make up a very small percentage of the NHL teams... how is he with veteran players... the players that actually win you cups etc...??
Great point.

Maybe he will use his alter ego, Guy Chébou, to deal with vets.

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:56 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Its a valid point, but he has not gotten the opportunity to coach them yet. He has coached players like Darche, Glumac, Sanford. I haven't heard any bad things from them. And its like every player they interview is absolutely in awe of guy Boucher and his system. They interviewed hunter Bishop and he said after the first 10 mins of practice with Guy, he knew that he was the best coach he had ever had lol. I see no reason why he would not succeed at the nhl level. I can't wait to see him coach in the nhl, whether it be with us or another team....

Old
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Music to my ears as well. For others :

"The NHL it's a choice, but for now, I am in the AHL, in an organization where I want to be."
More like "The NHL is one thing" and not "a choice"

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:00 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Of course is wouldn't guarantee anything...but if the Molsons would have the idea that the team can't win with Martin, they will most likely have to change the coach. It can be Boucher, or it can be someone else...the point is still the same.

And we made what this year during the playoffs...20 millions? I'm pretty sure it's around this amount. So even if we just make the playoffs, the Molsons would still have profits with one round.
Why would they have this idea after we JUST made it to the ECF? We were 1 round away from the Cup Finals.

I'm not saying what you're saying is wrong, obviously if a team owner of GM feels they're coach can't win or isn't effective anymore then they will replace him. I'm saying that your comments make no sense in this particular situation. Would the Flyers fire Laviolette if they had a young coach in the minors who they didn't want to loose? No, no they wouldn't because it wouldn't make any sense just like firing Martin wouldn't make any sense right now no matter how much you or any other posters dislike him or like Boucher.

If Boucher goes you can't blame the Habs nor can they do anything to stop him from leaving. Sometimes these things happen, I hope it doesn't and I don't think it will happen as he's always said he wants to coach the Habs and you can't be in a better position to do so then he is right now in Hamilton, imo.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
It was the Molsons cheap ways that brought us into this mess in the first place. Yes, back then it was the company but its still the same thing. The company takes after its owners, and they were cheap.
It's not the same thing at all. Companies have shareowners to report to, as someone that works in investment banking, companies have to improve earnings or risk falling behind. Owners of companies that aren't public don't have to report to anyone and can do as they please. It's a huge difference. Granted that doesn't mean that a owner wouldn't be cheap just that you can't compare publicly traded companies with non public.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Why would they have this idea after we JUST made it to the ECF? We were 1 round away from the Cup Finals.

I'm not saying what you're saying is wrong, obviously if a team owner of GM feels they're coach can't win or isn't effective anymore then they will replace him. I'm saying that your comments make no sense in this particular situation. Would the Flyers fire Laviolette if they had a young coach in the minors who they didn't want to loose? No, no they wouldn't because it wouldn't make any sense just like firing Martin wouldn't make any sense right now no matter how much you or any other posters dislike him or like Boucher.

If Boucher goes you can't blame the Habs nor can they do anything to stop him from leaving. Sometimes these things happen, I hope it doesn't and I don't think it will happen as he's always said he wants to coach the Habs and you can't be in a better position to do so then he is right now in Hamilton, imo.
I've never talked about the present. It's only speculations...IF Martin, in the future, shows that he's not the right man for the job, the Molson will think about changing him even though he has a 2 millions contract...that's all.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Actually NHL teams these days get younger and younger because young players are cheap and it's easier on the cap.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For once, reactions are not about "what have you done for me lately" type of reactions.

Coaches wins coach of the year awards and are fired 1 or 2 years after.....Same for guys who brings their team really far and then are fired.

I know that you can't fire Martin because of that run. Yet, it's not too hard to predict that we might not repeat with that type of coaching. You won't be able to have that kind of effort with that system for all 82 games. Then, it is strongly possible that the Habs are still NOT a top 4 team in the league (pretty obvious) and are still a bubble team that will work hard to make the playoffs. And then you see all the comments towards Boucher, comments honestly that I've never hear all my life. You see how some of our youngsters develop or didn't develop as much. You hear how Martin is as good a communicator than....Carbonneau. You know the greatest move by Gainey that was fired 3 months after?

Then you compare him with a guy who communicate with his players, who has a much more interesting system in place, who keep being praised by all his players or at least a great bunch of them.

I mean, anybody heard what Hunter Bishop had to say? Said something like "I was in Hamilton for 1 week, and in that small timeframe, I could already say that Guy Boucher was the best coach I've ever had in my career". Clearly, it wasn't said to bash all the other coaches he had but to demonstrate how Boucher was loved and respected.

So what's frustrating is that I see Boucher having the type of career Trotz is having or Ruff which means, we let him go, we don't see him. 'Cause even if it doesn't happen this way, if right now isn't the right timing, who says it will be next time he's free?

And clearly, all that because the Rangers sucked in the last weeks of the year or becaue Halak was miraculous 1 game after another. 'Cause if we missed the playoffs...or even if we would have lost in 5 against the Caps, clearly we couldn't have been able to use the Eastern Conf. Finals. But I think it's pretty easy to figure out that Martin was able to sell his system in the playoffs but that with his evident lack of communication, he's totally amongst the ones who can lose the respect of his players real fast either for the unwillingness to practice that style of game on a regular basis or either because he's just not interested in having some kind of communication with them.

That team had a serious lack in developement for how many years. We have a guy who is great at it, we let him go. IF he goes. Inevitable but really really sad.
It would certainly be sad.

When you have a great asset, you keep him at all cost. Remember when the Habs would treat Claude Ruel like a king in their organization? They invented a job just for him(director of players development, a job that did not exist in the NHL at the time) because he was so important to them. The guy was a genius, he was great at coaching, at evaluating talent, at pretty much everything yet he had the worst personality ever, he was grumpy as Hell, would conduct himself like crap in front of people and even with all these abilities did not want to coach or scout or be GM or anything. Yet they worked around his flaws and made sure he was around in the most important decisions(he ended up doing a bit of everything). Not only he was treated like a King...Hell they gave him his own pedestral at the old Forum because he didn't want to be around people. lol And the Habs has never been the same since he retired. Bottom line is, whatever the situations you keep the few geniuses that you have around whether it's scouts, players, etc....

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:07 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post

The Molson family owned the Habs for a long period of time BEFORE the early parts of this century, and they won Stanley Cups with the team.

deandebean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Michel Therrien brought the pens to the ECF, then the team struggled, he was fired and the team returned, but won it. Does it have to do with the coach, or the players ?
Well to be fair, I think it was both. Losing in the ECF had a huge effect on Crosby and I'm sure it made Malkin even hungrier the year after. But you're right, can't ignore the coach either.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:41 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

CBJ fan, Coming in peace.

I like Guy, he may be the coach for us but I wanted to know alittle more about him.

How is he with veterans? Can his style of coaching translate well in the NHL? Is he more of an Offensively focused coach or is he defensively focused?

Insight would be great.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 01:58 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

I like Guy, he may be the coach for us but I wanted to know alittle more about him.

How is he with veterans? Can his style of coaching translate well in the NHL? Is he more of an Offensively focused coach or is he defensively focused?

Insight would be great.

Well, the one veteran that was called up from the AHL, Matt Darche raved about him, just like all of his players. They all seem to love him and the style of play he coaches. Hes a really physiological guy and seems to get the best out of everyone of his players, because he treats everyone fairly, but knows that not all players can be treated the same. His style is very offensive, as its all about moving the puck ahead and not playing in your own zone. With the new nhl, I think its a perfect fit. If you guys end up hiring him, you will be in for a treat.

Old
06-04-2010, 02:21 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

Insight would be great.
"My approach is based on the individual," Boucher said. "So whether you're talking about 17 or 18-year-olds or 30 or 35-year-olds, players want to improve, they want to win and ultimately you find the same problems and strengths in each individual. It's the same starting point, so I didn't need to adapt my approach too much.”

And this quote may add on to the JM hate

"I do like to think outside the box, I've always been like that," Boucher said. "It's a dynamic business where people are trying new things, so you'd better be up to date. I try to come up with new stuff, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But in the past few years I've found a pattern that works for me."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ng-future.html

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:03 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Thanks for the insight guys, Making me like Guy even more. Although you probably didn't want to hear that. haha.

Thanks again

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 08:08 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I've never talked about the present. It's only speculations...IF Martin, in the future, shows that he's not the right man for the job, the Molson will think about changing him even though he has a 2 millions contract...that's all.
`Saying that is like saying IF a player doesn't play well he could get traded. Yeah, we all know that's a possibility but what's happening with Boucher is right NOW. So I don't see how your future scenario makes sense with this situation.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
`Saying that is like saying IF a player doesn't play well he could get traded. Yeah, we all know that's a possibility but what's happening with Boucher is right NOW. So I don't see how your future scenario makes sense with this situation.
Nevermind...it's getting to complicated for nothing...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote