HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Other Sports Thread

Old
06-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Vortex

vCash: 500
I'm a Braves fan living in orange county. I'll be going to the Braves/Dodger game tomorrow sporting my Braves jersey/cap. Wish me luck.

Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:53 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I'm a Braves fan living in orange county. I'll be going to the Braves/Dodger game tomorrow sporting my Braves jersey/cap. Wish me luck.
You won't be the only one. Dodger games tend to bring the Braves fans out of hiding.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:31 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I love the dodgers and I always will but can we honestly defeat the phillies this year?

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

The Doyers celebrate Kings night.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=41133

Get your tickets and that cool shirt now! "Theme Menu: Pastrami sandwiches, Kettle style potato chips, Kosher style pickles" Basically the same **** we get at Staples.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
The Dodgers are the only thing that make baseball tolerable. The Angels and their fans are everything I hate about the sport.
Trust me...as a lifelong Angel fan it makes me sick. I remember my dad taking me to games as a kid and there were 10k people there. No one gave a crap until 2002 and then everyone became a fan. Even with the Angels winning the division almost every season since then interest is starting to wane a little bit.

Same goes for Laker fans, I actually had a friend of a friend tell me..

"Bro I am not a bandwagoner, I have been a fan since the Shaq days"

Go ask the average Laker fan at a bar who Nick Van Exel or Cedric Ceballas are and they will look at you like you are speaking Greek.

I really hope when the Kings get good...we don't attract these types of "fans"

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Trust me...as a lifelong Angel fan it makes me sick. I remember my dad taking me to games as a kid and there were 10k people there. No one gave a crap until 2002 and then everyone became a fan. Even with the Angels winning the division almost every season since then interest is starting to wane a little bit.

Same goes for Laker fans, I actually had a friend of a friend tell me..

"Bro I am not a bandwagoner, I have been a fan since the Shaq days"

Go ask the average Laker fan at a bar who Nick Van Exel or Cedric Ceballas are and they will look at you like you are speaking Greek.

I really hope when the Kings get good...we don't attract these types of "fans"
Agreed

Angels fan before they won the WS was 1,000,000x better than Angel fan who jumped on the wagon.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Word.. my Dad had season tickets from 88-92 and there wasn't anyone there at those times. I was at the game when Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey Jr hit back to back homeruns. I saved the ticket because of that. Saw it on Sportscenter last night since Ken Griffey Jr retired I guess.

I really have no allegiance to either team. I used to like watching the Angels because I thought Rex Hudler was entertaining in an annoying way. He amused me for some reason. I do like going to Angels games and hanging on the patio in the outfield.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 04:03 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
The Doyers celebrate Kings night.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=41133

Get your tickets and that cool shirt now! "Theme Menu: Pastrami sandwiches, Kettle style potato chips, Kosher style pickles" Basically the same **** we get at Staples.
I'm considering this, if only to have an excuse to show up in a Kings jersey.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
The only thing good about the Angels are their home plate celebrations.

The Dodgers are the only team in LA despite an ahole owner.
This!

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Say what you will about McBroke but He is the best owner this team has had in a long time.

Dodger's ownership has sucked since the late 70's early/ 80's.

Old
06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Say what you will about McBroke but He is the best owner this team has had in a long time.

Dodger's ownership has sucked since the late 70's early/ 80's.
How on earth can you say this? McCourt has bastardized everything that the Dodgers has stood for and turned it into a commercial opportunity. Dodger stadium is no longer Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers pulled out of the dominican and cut international scouting 75%. Those were Dodger staples.

If you are giving him credit for the Dodger recent success then you're off base. The success was built by their prospect pool before he showed up. A prospect pool that has gone to the toilet for the above reasons, plus him selling our top prospects for money (Santana is the 5th best prospect in baseball who was sold to Cleveland for 2.5 million dollars), and under slotting the MLB draft.

Yeah he opened the pocket books for Manny but he has already made his 40 million spent so far 5 times over. He did nix the Vlad signing that was ready to be announced when he took over the team because he had to borrow money from 13 sources to buy the Dodgers and couldn't afford Vlad at 17 million a year. He refuses to offer no brainer salary arbitration to FA's because he will not pay for anything but his set amount of draft picks. That's from his own mouth where he said he has a certain amount allocated to the draft.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
The only thing good about the Angels are their home plate celebrations.

The Dodgers are the only team in LA despite an ahole owner.
Making a joke about a very serious injury...love it. So if Kopitar has a season ending freak injury next season and someone comes in here and makes a joke you will be totally cool with it, right?

Still don't understand the dislike so many Dodger fans have for the Angels, I think it all started when the crappy team that you guys used to make fun of started winning division titles and a World Series title, got bought by one of the best owners in sports and ceased being a joke of a franchise.

Hell it was the Angels who prevented your hated rivals the Giants from winning their first WS on the West Coast.

Old
06-03-2010, 06:00 PM
no name

Quote:
Making a joke about a very serious injury...love it. So if Kopitar has a season ending freak injury next season and someone comes in here and makes a joke you will be totally cool with it, right?

Still don't understand the dislike so many Dodger fans have for the Angels, I think it all started when the crappy team that you guys used to make fun of started winning division titles and World Series titles, got bought by one of the best owners in sports and ceased being a joke of a franchise.

Hell it was the Angels who prevented your hated rivals the Giants from winning their first WS on the West Coast.
Hope it didn't offend you. It's a freak injury that occured in a situation that was a joke in itself. In regards to why people hate the Angels, it's because they took something that they have no rights to. What a joke to have national media forced to refer to the team as Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. All that after the citizens of Anaheim used their tax dollars to renovate the stadium. It's bad when Anaheim attempts to sue Moreno over it.

Old
06-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Hope it didn't offend you. It's a freak injury that occured in a situation that was a joke in itself. In regards to why people hate the Angels, it's because they took something that they have no rights to. What a joke to have national media forced to refer to the team as Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. All that after the citizens of Anaheim used their tax dollars to renovate the stadium. It's bad when Anaheim attempts to sue Moreno over it.
Ok I overreacted on the injury thing. It's just very frustrating to have a guy having an MVP caliber season go down with an injury and hearing people making jokes about it.

I think the naming thing was dumb...but I think people way way overreacted. First off, lets not forget the Angels original name was the "LA Angels" and much like the "LA Rams" they ended up in Anaheim.

The NY Giants, NY Jets, NY Islanders all use the NY name despite not playing in NYC, the Jets and Giants are even in a different state.

The Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills, which is farther from Detroit than Anaheim is to LA, and no one makes a stink.

Old
06-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
How on earth can you say this? McCourt has bastardized everything that the Dodgers has stood for and turned it into a commercial opportunity. Dodger stadium is no longer Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers pulled out of the dominican and cut international scouting 75%. Those were Dodger staples.

If you are giving him credit for the Dodger recent success then you're off base. The success was built by their prospect pool before he showed up. A prospect pool that has gone to the toilet for the above reasons, plus him selling our top prospects for money (Santana is the 5th best prospect in baseball who was sold to Cleveland for 2.5 million dollars), and under slotting the MLB draft.

Yeah he opened the pocket books for Manny but he has already made his 40 million spent so far 5 times over. He did nix the Vlad signing that was ready to be announced when he took over the team because he had to borrow money from 13 sources to buy the Dodgers and couldn't afford Vlad at 17 million a year. He refuses to offer no brainer salary arbitration to FA's because he will not pay for anything but his set amount of draft picks. That's from his own mouth where he said he has a certain amount allocated to the draft.
You have a very short memory. I also didn't say I love Frank McCourt, I am stating he is the best owner the Dodgers have had in a long time. The best owner the Dodgers have had since Walter McNally died.

You are forgetting the 80's and 90's under the McNallys where they let Cey and Garvey walk because they were too cheap, then after the Miracle in '88 thanks to Tommy and Gibson they overpaid for every miscreant like Darryl Strawberry, then to get cheap again once the strings of rookies of the years started.

You are forgetting the late nineties and The New Sheriff in town throwing Fox's money at everyone and handicapping the Dodgers to the point where they had to add way past their prime players like a broken down McGriff to play first, or near 50 year old Ricky Henderson? or Robin Ventura 15 years too late?

As far as Carlos Santana goes, Logan White admits that He gave the ok to trade him.
Quote:
A. Yes, that’s exactly how it works. They actually asked me to go scout Santana before the trade to try and determine if he could catch or not. It wasn’t whether he could hit, we all knew he could hit, but we all wondered if he could catch at the major league level. And we go with a consensus of opinions. But it’s not like we go with the consensus. Sometimes we go against it. It just depends upon the situation and the player. Last year he had Vance and myself see Halladay and Cliff Lee. Some scouts may have seen a certain player while I have not, so Ned would have to rely on that more than what I might say. One may say, “we need to trade for this guy” but maybe they haven’t seen Chris Withrow (who would be traded in the hypothetical deal), so while I haven’t seen the other player, I have seen the player we might have to give up and so it’s give and take. And I may say “Whoa, you are not wrong in thinking this player will be good for us, but not for Chris Withrow.” Sometimes we get into some good little tussles, especially about players other may not have seen. Ned is really good about relying on De Jon, myself and coaches within the system.
Quote:
. “That’s a tough one, but based upon where he is playing, it would have to be Edwin Jackson. Carlos Santana would be in that equation too, although we aren’t sure if he can be a major league catcher, and Josh Bell because of his great power.”
That was also almost 2 years ago and Santana still has yet to record a major league at bat.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=santan001car

I really think you are forgetting how lean 1982-1987 and then 1989-2003 were.

Ned has made some ****** signings in Schmidt, Pierre, Jones, Muller, etc but at least McCourt let him do it. That was certainly better than the second have of Fox's tenure or the O'Malleys from 1995-on.

Again, I agree that McCourt is FAR from perfect. Very far. But I think you are forgetting how bad Fox and Peter O'Malley were.

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 06-03-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old
06-03-2010, 08:02 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
You are forgetting the 80's and 90's under the McNallys where they let Cey and Garvey walk because they were too cheap, then after the Miracle in '88 thanks to Tommy and Gibson they overpaid for every miscreant like Darryl Strawberry, then to get cheap again once the strings of rookies of the years started.
... Garvey was in full decline when he left in 1982; he was crap for the Padres except for that one NLCS game in '84 that everyone remembers. If you actually look at the numbers, Greg Brock was better from '83 to '86 than Garvey was -- he got on base more, he had a higher slugging percentage, and he was better in the field. Brock just got a bad rap because Garvey was the clean-cut darling of L.A. and the local media, and they couldn't accept the fact that Steve wasn't pulling his weight anymore. Garvey's paternity issues hadn't yet seen the light of day, and at that time he was still considered to be the optimal role-model athlete.

The situation with Cey was about the same. He was also clearly in decline and the Dodgers needed to find a place to play for Pedro Guerrero, who was developing into one of the best hitters in the game. Dusty Baker was in left, Ken Landreaux in center, and Mike Marshall in right -- so it was simply a numbers game by that time, and the only spot for Guerrero was third base. What else was there to do? The Dodgers let Baker go after 1983 and tried German Rivera at third in 1984 so they could play Guerrero in the outfield, but Rivera didn't pan out as much as the Dodgers had hoped. So, Guerrero went back to third again in 1985 for a while, until Dave Anderson stepped in -- upon where Pedro moved back to LF. Finally the Dodgers picked up Bill Madlock and Enos Cabell later in the season to stabilize 3B for the next year and change.

1988 wasn't all about Tommy and Gibson. The Dodgers also had the best pitcher in the game (Orel Hershiser) who was absolutely on fire, and they had the best bullpen in the major leagues. Mike Scioscia was arguably the best catcher in the NL in '88, and Steve Sax was the best 2B in the NL behind Ryne Sandberg. The Dodgers' bench was one of the best in the game as well; in fact, the Dodgers beat the overrated A's in the World Series with essentially their pitching and their bench. Certainly it was an upset that the Dodgers beat the Mets in the NLCS but otherwise they were a damned good team who didn't get the credit they deserved.

As for the signing of Strawberry, that was working out fine until he got hurt in 1992 AND 1993, and decided that he would use the idle time to get high. In a way, it was a blessing that it didn't work out. The Dodgers sucked so much in '92 that it gave them a chance to get back to their roots. They had nothing to lose, so they went to the farm system for guys like Michael Piazza and Pedro Martinez, among quite a few others.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:14 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Maybe us dodgers fans should go with a dodger avatar much like JT...

Old
06-03-2010, 08:26 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Lakers Vs. Celtics

I know how much you guys love basketball. Probably almost as much as baseball.

In any case, I like the lakers in 7 or less.

Last edited by The Black1963: 06-03-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old
06-03-2010, 08:39 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Does anyone else get bothered by the "mvp" chant everytime Kobe's shooting free throws?

Uh-uh, 2 fouls on Kobe.

Old
06-03-2010, 08:42 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

26-21 the lakeshow end of 1st.

Old
06-03-2010, 08:52 PM
no name

After a period and a half I can't believe how bad the refs are calling this game. The fouls are retarded. Paul Pierce should get an award for selling some of these fouls. And two fouls against Rondo nobody even looked at the guy.

Old
06-03-2010, 08:54 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
After a period and a half I can't believe how bad the refs are calling this game. The fouls are retarded. Paul Pierce should get an award for selling some of these fouls. And two fouls against Rondo nobody even looked at the guy.
Thats why I don't watch basketball.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

My cousins are all Lakers fans, so I'm rooting for the Celtics.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:09 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
My cousins are all Lakers fans, so I'm rooting for the Celtics.
That's the way I usually go about it.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:13 PM
no name

Quote:
You have a very short memory. I also didn't say I love Frank McCourt, I am stating he is the best owner the Dodgers have had in a long time. The best owner the Dodgers have had since Walter McNally died.

You are forgetting the late nineties and The New Sheriff in town throwing Fox's money at everyone and handicapping the Dodgers to the point where they had to add way past their prime players like a broken down McGriff to play first, or near 50 year old Ricky Henderson? or Robin Ventura 15 years too late?

As far as Carlos Santana goes, Logan White admits that He gave the ok to trade him.

That was also almost 2 years ago and Santana still has yet to record a major league at bat.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=santan001car

I really think you are forgetting how lean 1982-1987 and then 1989-2003 were.

Ned has made some ****** signings in Schmidt, Pierre, Jones, Muller, etc but at least McCourt let him do it. That was certainly better than the second have of Fox's tenure or the O'Malleys from 1995-on.

Again, I agree that McCourt is FAR from perfect. Very far. But I think you are forgetting how bad Fox and Peter O'Malley were.
I can't speak for the 80's but I do know that as much as I love you, you failed to hit any of my points except Santana. Frank has done absolutely nothing for the Dodgers except destroy everything it ever stood for. He fired long time respected baseball men and replaced them with nobody. If you can tell me one thing he has done that has helped this team get where they are or even for the future then I will humbly concede.

In regards to Santana, there is no justification for trading him. They sold him for 2.5 million dollars. Logan White signing off on the trade means nothing since the trading of Santana was not a baseball move. In regards to him not seeing the MLB field all you have to know is that he's a 23 year old converted catcher playing in an orginazation loaded with great catchers. Catchers don't start in the majors before age 23, let alone a converted player. Can he play defense? Probably no worse than Martin who according to baseball prospectus calls the worst game in baseball, has way more passed balls than average and can't throw out a runner to save his life.