HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Goalie would you want to keep?

View Poll Results: Which goalie
halak 115 34.33%
price 220 65.67%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
  #76
King of Arcadia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 537
vCash: 500
this situation is nothing but a gamble either way. If you trade Halak and Price doesn't fill his potential that is not good. If you trade Price and he turns out to be the second coming of George Hainsworth the Habs will look bad. I really think Halak is a bonfide starter and is the better goalie right now, but in 5 years will Price be the better of the two? I guess Gauthier is going to have to do something because neither will be happy if they are both with the Habs next year. And at this point I am not sure who has better trade value. Should be an interesting summer. In a perfect world I would keep both.

King of Arcadia is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 04:32 PM
  #77
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Arcadia View Post
this situation is nothing but a gamble either way. If you trade Halak and Price doesn't fill his potential that is not good. If you trade Price and he turns out to be the second coming of George Hainsworth the Habs will look bad. I really think Halak is a bonfide starter and is the better goalie right now, but in 5 years will Price be the better of the two? I guess Gauthier is going to have to do something because neither will be happy if they are both with the Habs next year. And at this point I am not sure who has better trade value. Should be an interesting summer. In a perfect world I would keep both.
First: I would not trade any of them for the time being. Let's start the next season and see what's gonna happen.

IF they have to trade one or the other to acquire a top-two line winger or center, their best asset is to trade Price, but Halak will be a very solid goalie for years to come, anyway. If they trade Halak and Price doesn't show stability right away, he's gonna be booed out of Montreal, and the goalie circus gonna start again.

Halak-Price situation = Theodore-Vokoun situation.

not an easy choice.

Do you keep the ''darling - poster boy'' ? Or the underated, blend face, steady guy ?

CanadienErrant* is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 05:00 PM
  #78
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
I was really surprised to see Natey vote for Halak !

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 05:24 PM
  #79
AnAfricanMidget
Registered User
 
AnAfricanMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Igloo
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Price

He has higher upside and the habs still need to wait a few years before being a legit cup contender and by the then Price should have hit his potential.

AnAfricanMidget is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
  #80
68
Registered User
 
68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,091
vCash: 500
Wow. Just wow.

68 is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 07:30 PM
  #81
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,890
vCash: 500
I don't know which goalie has the better trade value at this point, but I'm very comfortable with halak. The way halak has played in the last season and a half is something I havent seen in montreal... ever.

Theodore had a extraordinary 2002 reg season but an average playoff, and Roy had an average regular season and an extraordinary playoff in 1993. Halak has put it all together in the last last season and a half.

If Halak can maintain his level of play from last season, then there's no way you can be unhappy with letting price go, no matter how good he becomes.

I also wonder if moving Price isnt the best thing for both the organization and the player at this point. Price is a young guy but with amount of stuff he's been through, it feels like 10 years. I think a fresh start can do him wonders, and he can help this team address more pressing needs than netminding.

Hackett is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 08:46 PM
  #82
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
I must admit being surprised, but relieved to see that 71% would keep Price. I guess it was just a very vocal 29%...

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 08:50 PM
  #83
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,310
vCash: 500
for 71 percent of Hfboarders, this poll is going to be like a big ass tattoo.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but as you get older you increasingly look in the mirror and realize how stupid you now look.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 08:52 PM
  #84
phil
Registered User
 
phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: sand and sun island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
Halak has succeded where Price has failed... and Price can still land a good return

phil is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 08:56 PM
  #85
scottyG
Registered User
 
scottyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal,Qc
Posts: 4,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Halak has succeded where Price has failed... and Price can still land a good return
Halak's won a cup?

scottyG is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 09:31 PM
  #86
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
for 71 percent of Hfboarders, this poll is going to be like a big ass tattoo.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but as you get older you increasingly look in the mirror and realize how stupid you now look.
Ah, glad to see you're back. This board really missed being told they're stupid in every single post of yours.

Also, nice crystal ball.

Souvenirs is offline  
Old
06-03-2010, 11:46 PM
  #87
dimi78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 500
Keeping both goalies is not good asset management or good team building when there is a tone of holes with Montreal to truly be a contender.

Here's an Idea to see what you all think a trade with Tampa that doesn't involve Lecavier

To Tampa - Price, Montreal 1st,Hall Gill,

To Montreal - Ryan Malone, Tampa's 1st (6th overall) and Mike Smith

Flame away at this 1 but I think this helps both teams needs and a fair trade.

dimi78 is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 02:12 AM
  #88
compile
Give me Scotch!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vaughan, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I think we are two UFAs from being a cup contender.

Trade for Martin St.Louis and bring back Francis Boullion. Everyone knows size doesn't matter.

Thinking the Habs are 2 UFAs from being a contender...priceless.

Price is younger = more potential.
Halak's playoff performance = hit the ceiling and showed he couldn't handle the work load for very long (albeit he played quite a bit of hockey in that time).

Who do you keep? With an aging defense, and small forwards...Carey Price as Halak will give you WAY better return at this point plus I don't think he'll progress much further then his playoff performance.

Habs need a rebuild. End of story. Its been 17 years since winning the cup and the furthest they have gotten in that time is the ECC. Maybe its about time to say, "maybe we need a new direction?"

Not saying to trade everyone, just those assest that can garnish a nice return with young guys that are in the NHL already. Don't need to go to the draft.

Main focus should be getting something for Halak and Markov (yes Markov, he's a PP specialist, and nothing else). Then sign a nice sized dman that ACTUALLY hits and 1 C and 1 power forward. They will be fine after that.

The need to have so many offensive dman is idiotic. You really only need 1 or 2 the rest should be stay at home.

You don't win a Cup by scoring 6 and allowing 5 every night (ie: Washington).

Flame guard on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Keeping both goalies is not good asset management or good team building when there is a tone of holes with Montreal to truly be a contender.

Here's an Idea to see what you all think a trade with Tampa that doesn't involve Lecavier

To Tampa - Price, Montreal 1st,Hall Gill,

To Montreal - Ryan Malone, Tampa's 1st (6th overall) and Mike Smith

Flame away at this 1 but I think this helps both teams needs and a fair trade.
Habs lose on that deal like no tomorrow. Plus the Habs won't be dealing with Tampa Bay any time soon as long as Tampa doesn't kiss ass.

__________________
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire
There's no ghosts... only god exists. Luckily, he is our netminder.
compile is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 07:11 AM
  #89
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
Halak has succeded where Price has failed... and Price can still land a good return
Huh ? at what ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
  #90
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
too many of you guys are like "oh Halak is better than Price, he showed it this season!"

Yeah i also remember Theo "showing" it to us one year as well and he was better than Brodeur and look what happened? The habs gave him a 3 year 5M contract and all he did is stink up the joint (and he still stinks it up).

Halak may not end up like Theo, but let us not forget that he is an RFA, thus CANNOT command UFA money. If he's too expensive, he'll get traded or just not signed (and then he CANNOT PLAY FOR ANY OTHER TEAM) OR, he gets an offer sheet and we let him go for a bunch of picks (because lets face it, it'll have to be a 4M+ offer sheet that we wouldnt match).

People are always so quick to throw Price under the bus. It seems that they forget that he's still quite young (some of you seem to think a goalie plateaus at 22) and he's also a proven winner in every level he's played (save the NHL, but he's got plenty of time to do that).

If you can trade Halak for what this team needs, you do it. Price is the future and always has been. **** even Bowman said that we'd make a huge mistake in trading Price and im pretty sure the man knows what he's talking about.

Halak will sign for 2M (around) or get traded. End of story.


Last edited by The n00b King: 06-04-2010 at 10:04 AM.
The n00b King is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 10:18 AM
  #91
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I don't know which goalie has the better trade value at this point, but I'm very comfortable with halak. The way halak has played in the last season and a half is something I havent seen in montreal... ever.

Theodore had a extraordinary 2002 reg season but an average playoff, and Roy had an average regular season and an extraordinary playoff in 1993. Halak has put it all together in the last last season and a half.

If Halak can maintain his level of play from last season, then there's no way you can be unhappy with letting price go, no matter how good he becomes.

I also wonder if moving Price isnt the best thing for both the organization and the player at this point. Price is a young guy but with amount of stuff he's been through, it feels like 10 years. I think a fresh start can do him wonders, and he can help this team address more pressing needs than netminding.
Oh damn, I so damn agree with you on this point... Seriously.

As sad as it sounds, the media and the fans never ever will give Price another chance. The kid did some stupid things and made mistakes early in his career, it's going to follow him for the rest of his career in Montreal.

Montreal is NOT like other NHL cities... Like it or not, some can handle this city... some just can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
So you are assuming that either:
  • Halak performance will decrease;
  • Price will have a bad year next season.
I am assuming that both will follow the normal and usual path for a goalie at their age:
The will improve both.
If you actually let the stats sheet out of the equation for one minute, you'd know that goalies are NOT like other players: When one plays, the other doesn't. Odds are very slim to see them split the games 50-50 once again this year. If one doesn't play, his value will decrease. What's so hard to understand in this?

TankEller* is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 10:39 AM
  #92
chpartisan
Registered User
 
chpartisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
There is a lot of talk about the trade values of our goalies, but it seems like there are quite a few options (for now) on the UFA market for teams that are looking for goaltenders.

I'm not convinced we can get much in return of Halak or Price. Why with a team want to trade assets to acquire a goalie, if they can find a UFA instead.

Perhaps the UFAs available aren't as young or don't have the same potential, but I don't think there are many teams who feel it's worthy enough to trade an established player (top 6 winger). Especially with all the young goalies (many for europe) that seem to be able to step up in the NHL recently.

chpartisan is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
  #93
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpartisan View Post
There is a lot of talk about the trade values of our goalies, but it seems like there are quite a few options (for now) on the UFA market for teams that are looking for goaltenders.

I'm not convinced we can get much in return of Halak or Price. Why with a team want to trade assets to acquire a goalie, if they can find a UFA instead.

Perhaps the UFAs available aren't as young or don't have the same potential, but I don't think there are many teams who feel it's worthy enough to trade an established player (top 6 winger). Especially with all the young goalies (many for europe) that seem to be able to step up in the NHL recently.
Teams all have one point in common: they want to save as much as possible on the salary cap.

Why should one sign a UFA goalie on the decline to a premium contract, when they can get a young, proven goaltender who still has many years before hitting the UFA market, and that won't be that expensive salary-wise? Some of those teams would have to shed some salary to sign a UFA goalie anyway, why not hit two birds with one stone?

TankEller* is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 10:52 AM
  #94
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Ah, glad to see you're back. This board really missed being told they're stupid in every single post of yours.

Also, nice crystal ball.
Please don't quote him, he's one of the rare members on my ignore list. Thanks.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 10:54 AM
  #95
Habs83
Registered User
 
Habs83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
for 71 percent of Hfboarders, this poll is going to be like a big ass tattoo.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but as you get older you increasingly look in the mirror and realize how stupid you now look.
Reminds me of posters who like to have Steve Begin as their avatar.....

Habs83 is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 11:25 AM
  #96
chpartisan
Registered User
 
chpartisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Teams all have one point in common: they want to save as much as possible on the salary cap.

Why should one sign a UFA goalie on the decline to a premium contract, when they can get a young, proven goaltender who still has many years before hitting the UFA market, and that won't be that expensive salary-wise? Some of those teams would have to shed some salary to sign a UFA goalie anyway, why not hit two birds with one stone?
While I agree with the logic I don't see that many teams that are desperate to find a goaltender and those who seem to be looking for one aren't close to the cap (I think). Quite a few teams have some young goaltenders with potential they can bring up.

With the goalies available on the market I don't think we will see expensive contracts, if Halak is signing around $3M they aren't saving much on the cap.

chpartisan is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 11:56 AM
  #97
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
If you actually let the stats sheet out of the equation for one minute, you'd know that goalies are NOT like other players: When one plays, the other doesn't. Odds are very slim to see them split the games 50-50 once again this year. If one doesn't play, his value will decrease. What's so hard to understand in this?
Well, I guess the hard part is believing that Carey Price would be the first goalie ever to go down in value if he "only" plays 20/25 games at age 23 (giving him over 150 starts by that age). Guess what? He wouldn't be worth any less than he is now (granted he might not be worth any more, either).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 12:07 PM
  #98
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Halak's won a cup?
ECF doesnt ring a bell for you? Price failed with a 1st place team in 2007-2008

CareyClutch is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 12:10 PM
  #99
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
ECF doesnt ring a bell for you? Price failed with a 1st place team in 2007-2008
you know whats more of a fail? quoting scotty g.


guess i failed, quoting you

uiCk is offline  
Old
06-04-2010, 12:26 PM
  #100
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 500
Leighton > Halak + Price

coolasprICE is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.