HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Google banning Windows

Old
06-01-2010, 12:22 PM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 500
Google banning Windows

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...ack-2010-5.DTL

Quote:
Well, Google has taken the next step in its world domination plan, banning Microsoft Windows from internal use.

Employees will be given the choice between Apple's Mac OS and Linux.

Adding insult to injury, Google is also publicly citing Windows security problems for the decision and blaming Windows vulnerabilities for the China hacking incident.

So that's 20,000+ Windows licenses that won't be sold and renewed at Google in future years.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:35 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

That's a swift kick to the balls for Microsoft
Now watch Apple/Google stocks to sky rocket...

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
SilverSeven

Funny that his comes on the heels of Apple replacing Google with Bing...

SilverSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:02 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

That's fine for Google, Microsoft OS are still fine in my book and I will continue to use them like 90% of the people out there. Of course there is security problems with so many people using it. More personal information out there hence more hackers trying to get it.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
XX
... Waiting

64 bit ultimate 7 and vista. Never had any problems. Not even a virus, and very little spyware. Not sure what google is huffing and puffing about.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Funny that his comes on the heels of Apple replacing Google with Bing...
Huh?

I'm pretty on top of Apple's news/rumours and while it's been suggested as an alternative to Google, it hasn't been confirmed that it's going to be wiped out COMPLETELY in favour of Bing (and jeez, as a user of iPhone OS/iPad, I'd sure as hell hope not ) There is no way Google would let their iPhone OS presence disappear (it's too valuable a channel for their search engine/Maps, etc).

Quote:
Bing is being considered for an "option" that users can decide between
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/m...search-option/

As for Google banning Windows, I can't help but chuckle, as this should add some new bait to the (pathetic, tired, childish, hilarious, get-over-it already) Mac vs Windows pissing match.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
allabout42

It's not that big of a deal. Most of the CS majors at my college are using Mac OS or some flavor of linux anyway. It's just easier to code and configure using these OS.

allabout42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
64 bit ultimate 7 and vista. Never had any problems. Not even a virus, and very little spyware. Not sure what google is huffing and puffing about.
Same here, most of these people having "security problems" are probably bringing it upon themselves.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:22 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Google has been working on their own competing OS... I take this as merely being a very political and PR based move. Deal some swift blows to the competition before your own product is out there - you can make it look like a valid concern instead of just knocking the competition.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:38 AM
neofury*

It's funny, back in the day windows boxes were easily compromised, don't get me wrong, and even today can be, but I had no trouble what-so-ever doing the same to many linux boxes. It boils down to the daemons you are running.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Batts View Post
Same here, most of these people having "security problems" are probably bringing it upon themselves.
Sorry to break it to ya, but I doubt you guys are at the top of a country like China's list to hack.

Seriously, Company Network security is not like you having Norton on your desktop at home. These companies have real countries and real spies trying to hack their networks by some of the best hackers in the world.

I think Google has other reasons than security behind this decision, but security is a major contributor to the decision I am sure.

Youth Movement Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:44 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
, but security is a major contributor to the decision I am sure.
I doubt it. If their security problem is at the box level with the Windows OS then they have a bigger problem than Windows vulnerabilities. Like a **** HW firewall for starters.

If you can't stop them before they are on your network, no protection at the OS level will stop them so OS doesn't matter.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Huh?

I'm pretty on top of Apple's news/rumours and while it's been suggested as an alternative to Google, it hasn't been confirmed that it's going to be wiped out COMPLETELY in favour of Bing (and jeez, as a user of iPhone OS/iPad, I'd sure as hell hope not ) There is no way Google would let their iPhone OS presence disappear (it's too valuable a channel for their search engine/Maps, etc).

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/m...search-option/

As for Google banning Windows, I can't help but chuckle, as this should add some new bait to the (pathetic, tired, childish, hilarious, get-over-it already) Mac vs Windows pissing match.
What do you mean huh? Bing is owned by Microsoft. The post you're quoting is just saying that it's obvious that once Microsoft makes a competitor for Google's service/product, that Google doesn't let their employees use Windows on their workstations. No biggy, does anybody honestly care what OS a company uses anyway?

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krejci46 View Post
What do you mean huh? Bing is owned by Microsoft. The post you're quoting is just saying that it's obvious that once Microsoft makes a competitor for Google's service/product, that Google doesn't let their employees use Windows on their workstations. No biggy, does anybody honestly care what OS a company uses anyway?
You missed the point of my post lol. I was correcting the poster who said Bing would replace Google as the search engine in iPhone OS 4.0, meaning no more Google on iPhone.

I simply said that's incorrect and the rumours are that Bing will be added to iPhone OS 4.0 as an alternative to Google, and if the users wants Bing, he/she can activate it in the settings.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Frankie Spankie

Ohhhh, oops, my bad.

I read that quickly and thought he said something along the lines of Google banning Windows since MS made Bing to compete. Blame work, making me too busy to read posts more carefully!!!

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote