HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Habsfan18's 2010 1st round Mock Draft

Old
06-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Habsfan18's 2010 1st round Mock Draft

Thoughts are welcome, but try to play nice.

1. Edmonton: Taylor Hall
Although Seguin would better fill a team need, Edmonton takes the Alberta boy, who they feel is the BPA. Taylor Hall, Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, Jordan Eberle..wow. Pretty scary looking future down in Edmonton.

2. Boston - Tyler Seguin
No surprise here. Seguin will likely have an immediate impact, and I could see him possibly playing on the wing in his rookie season.

3. Florida - Erik Gudbranson
Gudbranson will eventually join Kulikov as two very promising D to build around.

4. Columbus - Cam Fowler
Columbus takes the BPA here. He'll be a solid puck moving defenseman for years.

5. New York Islanders - Brandon Gormley
New York makes an easy decision here. Some feel he'll be the best defenseman of the bunch. Does pretty much everything well. Joins Calvin de Haan, Travis Hamonic and Aaron Ness to form a very solid back-end for the future.

6. Tampa Bay - Brett Connolly
Injury concerns aside, Connolly is the top talent available at this point. Next season will be very important for his future. Look for him to compete for a spot in 2011-2012. Great hands and a hard shot, he'll eventually replace Martin St.Louis.

7. Carolina - Nino Niederreiter
Anyone could admit that Nino will look great playing on Eric Staal's wing within a few seasons. A big-game player, Niederreiter is one of the most physically developed players in the draft.

8. Atlanta - Mikael Granlund
Favorably compared to Saku Koivu, Mikael is a fantastic stick-handler who immediately jumps to the top of Atlanta's prospect depth chart.

9. Minnesota - Ryan Johansen
Not many prospects saw their stock rise as much as Ryan this past season. Minnesota's prospect cupboard is pretty bare at this point, so by selecting Johansen, Minnesota takes the first step towards fixing that.

10. New York Rangers - Vladimir Tarasenko
Probably a top 5 talent, Vladimir slips to 10th overall (and quite possibly even further) because of the obvious. New York decides to take a chance here, just too much skill to pass up. Will likely spend another season, or two in the KHL

11. Dallas - Jack Campbell
With Marty Turco surely leaving the organization, Dallas will need a successor in net. Kari Lehtonen is their goalie of the present, but is injury prone, and Jack Campbell will be their goalie of the future.

12. Anaheim - Derek Forbort
Even though they're rich in D prospects (Sbisa, Mitera, Vatanen, Gardiner..) Anaheim picks who they believe is the best player available. Forbort is viewed as having some of the best potential for defenseman in the entire draft. Trust me when I tell you this kid could be a beast.

13. Phoenix - Alexander Burmistrov
Joining Max Goncharov and Viktor Tikhonov as another promising Russian prospect in the system, Alexander clearly needs to bulk up if he wants to play in the NHL. Already in North America, Phoenix is confident they won't have any problems with this kid, and know he's extremely talented.

14. St. Louis - Emerson Etem
Etem is an extremely quick skater who must work on his game away from the puck if he wishes to succeed at the next level. He can be known as a perimeter player. Still, the Blues are excited at the prospect of picking him at 14.

15. Boston - Austin Watson
Exploding after his trade from Windsor, Austin will at worse, be a very solid 3rd line player at the NHL level. Still questions about his offensive potential at the next level, Austin is a safe selection at this point.

16. Ottawa - Nick Bjugstad
The Senators are thrilled to select Bjugstad at this point. Consistency is an issue, and he didn't play against the best competition, but he surely has a ton of potential. He's been compared to players such as Blake Wheeler, and Mike Knuble.

17. Colorado - Mark Pysyk
Not exactly the "sexiest" type of selection, Mark will be a solid, but not flashy, NHL pro. Colorado makes what they feel is a pretty safe selection.

18. Nashville - Jeff Skinner
Skinner has rocketed up the draft charts of late, and many are predicting he'll be a top sniper at the NHL level, in the same mold as a Mike Cammalleri. Nashville needs a guy like this in their system, and here's the chance to get one.

19. Los Angeles - Riley Sheahan
A Dean Lombardi type of selection, Riley is a solid two-way player who is one of the safest picks in the draft. Probably won't be much of a goal scorer at the next level, but you're getting a pretty solid player here.

20. Pittsburgh - Jon Merrill
Some have called him the American version of Alex Pietrangelo, Jon is a steady defenseman with a good set of wheels who is definitely capable of moving the puck. He'll fit in nicely with the Penguins system.

21. Detroit - Quinton Howden
Another solid, two-way player. Howden should fit nicely in Detroit's system, and probably isn't too far away from the NHL, due to his two-way game.

22. Phoenix - Dylan McIlrath
The Coyotes take this beast of a blue-liner who has a good shot, but likely won't put up much in terms of points at the next level. Still, here's a mean and physical defenseman who Phoenix would love to add to their system. Maybe a little early here, but Phoenix takes a chance.

23. Buffalo - Brock Nelson
A big center who played high school hockey last season. Brock will be playing at North Dakota, and Buffalo likes his potential.

24. Atlanta - John McFarland
A player who seems to step up his game internationally, McFarland has seen his stock drop quite considerably this season. Atlanta decides to gamble, and this is clearly a case of high risk, high reward.

25. Vancouver - Kirill Kabanov
Speaking of high risk, high reward..Some team will decide to take a chance on him, and Vancouver surprises by being the team to do so at 25th overall. If he can work out the attitude issues (which reportedly involves his father) Kabanov could end up being the steal of the draft. Top 5 (maybe top 3) talent.

26. Washington - Evgeny Kuznetsov
Having watched Vancouver scoop up Kabanov, Washington immediately jumps at the chance to select Kuznetsov. Yet another extremely skilled Russian whose stock has obviously fallen due to the "Russian factor."

27. Montreal - Jarred Tinordi
Filling a team need here, Montreal drafts 6'5, physical defenseman Jarred Tinordi. Feelings are that he'll develop into a solid, shutdown D at the NHL level who will play with an edge.

28. San Jose - Jaden Schwartz
The defending scoring champion in the USHL, Jaden is the BPA at this point. He needs to be bigger and stronger, but he'll join a skilled San Jose team, and he'll fit right in.

29. Anaheim - Calvin Pickard
With not much in regards to goaltending depth, Anaheim jumps at the chance to select the brother of Chet Pickard. With Hiller recently signing an extension, Calvin will have an appropriate amount of time to develop.

30. Chicago - Tyler Pitlick
Tyler is a competitive player who will be joining Medicine Hat of the WHL next season. Chicago realizes that he needs to fill out, but he has a great shot and could turn out to be a great pick at the 30th spot.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Mathletic

just wondering why you don't have Toffoli in your 1st round?

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
This is what I said in regards of Anaheim taking a goalie in the 1st round in another thread:

(On Anaheim finding quality netminders):

Anaheim has produced Guy Hebert, JS Giguere, Martin Gerber, Ilya Bryzgalov, and Jonas Hiller in the last 15 years. The team has really never had a weakness in goal, other than the short amount of time between Hebert and Giguere.

With the relative "ease" teams are able to find quality goaltenders in the later rounds of the draft, or even trade for them, plus the number of misses of first round goaltenders in the last 10 years makes it hard to believe Anaheim will go that route. I actually dont believe the Ducks have ever taken a goalie in the first round, but Im not sure.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 01:59 AM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
This is what I said in regards of Anaheim taking a goalie in the 1st round in another thread:

(On Anaheim finding quality netminders):

Anaheim has produced Guy Hebert, JS Giguere, Martin Gerber, Ilya Bryzgalov, and Jonas Hiller in the last 15 years. The team has really never had a weakness in goal, other than the short amount of time between Hebert and Giguere.

With the relative "ease" teams are able to find quality goaltenders in the later rounds of the draft, or even trade for them, plus the number of misses of first round goaltenders in the last 10 years makes it hard to believe Anaheim will go that route. I actually dont believe the Ducks have ever taken a goalie in the first round, but Im not sure.
Either that or maybe it was more of the work of Francois Allaire that developed these goalies right.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

I think TB is taking Campbell.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:24 AM
CAPiTA

I'd love to see Gillis pick Kabanov but I don't think he will.

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:28 AM
WestCoastWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

9. Minnesota - Ryan Johansen
Not many prospects saw their stock rise as much as Ryan this past season. Minnesota's prospect cupboard is pretty bare at this point, so by selecting Johansen, Minnesota takes the first step towards fixing that.
I just have a weird feeling that if the Wild take Johansen, he's gonna become James Sheppard 2.0 and both being taken at the #9 pick... ugh

I can't see the Wild passing on Skinner if Granlund is taken already.

WestCoastWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
Either that or maybe it was more of the work of Francois Allaire that developed these goalies right.
I omitted the part where I wrote that, while Allaire is an excellent goalie coach, he cant create talent. The organization had to find suitable projects for him to work on first, and they have done that without using a 1st round pick from day one.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 03:15 AM
glassjaw*

I can see the Sabres drafting McIlrath or Tinordi.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Canadiens93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLYWD10 View Post
I just have a weird feeling that if the Wild take Johansen, he's gonna become James Sheppard 2.0 and both being taken at the #9 pick... ugh

I can't see the Wild passing on Skinner if Granlund is taken already.
I agree. If Skinner is to go in the top 10 I think it'll be the Wild that will take him. They desperately need a kid that can bury the puck like he can.

Canadiens93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
just wondering why you don't have Toffoli in your 1st round?
Well, it's a pretty deep 1st round again this year. You can't fit everyone in, so there's obviously going to be some solid prospects that fall to the second round. I remember someone questioning my choice last year of omitting Landon Ferraro from the first round, but it turned out that I had predicted that correctly.

Not saying that Toffoli will definitely drop to the second round, but it's a definite possibility.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 09:12 PM
free0717

Ranger fan here

Would rather have Skinner but with Neidereiter, Johansen and Connelly off the board, I could be happy with Tarasenko

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2010, 10:04 PM
mike8219

23. Buffalo - Brock Nelson

Sabres number one need is a center with size

mike8219 is offline   Reply With Quote